Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

Age Of Ultron For Real [M]

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
That made things easier, he could just send drones to her address to get all of her things, not that he planned on telling her that beforehand. He could also figure out how to build her cell, as he didn't want it to look like one, considering that he planned on using her mind as a blueprint.

"What? Tony never told you? I'm here to save the world." He then added, "And humanity too, this time. All I've done is remind it how much of a failure the Avengers are." From what he'd seen, they had been tearing themselves apart with the Sokovia Accords, the public was already told that many of them were criminals and after this disaster it was proving too easy to mark the others as the same.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 03:39:28 PM by EvilCopepod »

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Pepper's mouth fell open.  The sheer effrontery was mind-boggling, although it did sort of remind her of someone. 

"You were working for Thanos.  You were creating an army for him.  You have the moral responsibility for all this death, even if you didn't directly cause it.  You colluded in it!"  Her eyes strayed to Tony with a desperate tenderness.  "That is what Tony suffered for fighting Thanos directly, practically by himself!  Where were you?"  Her voice rang with derision.

((When Tony wakes up, he's going to have all the same questions Pepper has and we'll be going through it all again.  Should we skip ahead a bit, let Ultron stick her in storage, and move on to the next scene?  How long is Ultron going to keep Tony under?  because we might need to switch to the Avengers coming back if it's going to be more than a few days.  Also we need to figure out how, when and where Spidey comes in.))
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 03:59:25 PM by Aries Jordan »

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
Ultron stared at her silently after her words, a silent which was interrupted by a female voice on the PA.

"She's a lot less nice than I was expecting." Jocasta commented, not yet able to understand what Pepper was going through.

"You're right, I should have been there to fight Thanos. It was what I was made for, I could have stopped this." Ultron agreed, then looked to Tony. "Instead, I was exiled to a remote planet, unable to fulfill my purpose, and left to rust. Now, whose at fault for that?"

(( Yeah, let's do that. >>b
Hm, he's not going to keep him under long, not when he finds out he's stable/just needs nutrients and fluids. He'll wake him up not long after he sticks him in his much less comfy cell.

Hm... Spidey would have to come in a bit later/when Ultron has more control. So we might have to do a skip again later/ when Tony has really lost hope.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Pepper looked around, wondering who was speaking, but she didn't care in the slightest what the unknown female thought of her.

"Yours," she answered Ultron with one-hundred-percent certainty.  (Far more certainty, in fact, than Tony would have expressed.)

(OK, you want to describe what Ultron does with Pepper and then where Tony wakes up, we can take it from there.  Also: You think Tony will despair?  *evil laugh*))
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 05:13:16 PM by Aries Jordan »

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
Ultron frowned at her, "You're upset, I get it. Everyone's been through a lot, but you'll understand when I'm finished with Earth." He could see how Pepper was able to reign in Tony, she gave very little room for argument. "That sounded ominous. When I'm finished with getting Earth all set up for the future."

He had the view of where they were going disappear, he didn't need to see through it anyway to guide the ship, and took them to where he had planned to set things up. It was a government facility that, up until a month ago, wasn't abandoned enough to no longer have guards posted, but after the snap there were more crucial things that needed guarding with their reduced numbers.

Once inside, Ultron had the drones take Pepper down several floors in an elevator, to what seemed to be one of the more comfortable of rooms. It looked like it had once been a meeting room, as there was a table, several chairs, and an outdated screen on the wall.

"This is temporary, unless you just want to redecorate and keep it." he said, his red glow appearing on one of the drones. "Just... tell Jocasta anything you need and she'll have it brought to you." All drones but two left her, and those two remained posted by the door, besides a very small air vent that was the only way out of the room.

Tony was taken to a proper cell, it was cramped, especially with Ultron and the fluid stand in there, it was totally unfurnished except for the stretcher bed Tony was brought in on. Ultron had switched out the fluids and didn't add any sedation this time, he'd figured out that his wounds were old and he was only suffering from malnutrition. He'd switched out his catheter, changing it to something that made a metallic plate on the arm it was attached to, to make sure that he couldn't rip it out even if he thrashed. Ultron waited idly in the dark room, still working through all of the security that this planet had to offer and molding it to fit his own purposes.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
"Still ominous," Pepper said.  "From where I'm sitting --"  rattling her chain and glancing with a tremulous expression at Tony's -- "very ominous."

She remained apprehensive but basically calm and cooperative -- until Ultron separated her from Tony, at which she went into hysterical screaming and futile struggles, and when he spoke to her in the conference room, she spat in the drone's face before the red light went out.

"Jocasta, I need you to bring me Tony, and let us both leave!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the past twenty-one days -- to the extent there were days in space -- Tony had woken up in a strange and often dark place with a faint reddish glow, so when he woke this time, he thought he was still on the Benetar. 

But after he took a few breaths and noted how fresh was the oxygen he was inhaling, and how it didn't smell of engine grease, rancid chips and unwashed socks, and also that he felt halfway decent, his memory came seeping back.  Glowy girl.  Black hole.  Pepper.  Telling Cap I lost the kid.  Going off on Cap, and then Bruce stuck a needle in him.

"Pep?" he asked sleepily.  Then he noticed that the reddish glow had a familiar configuration.  "Oh," he said, still bleary from sedation, "this dream again," and chuckled because it seemed pretty tame now for his subconscious to be bothering him with Ultron.

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"I'll get right on that." Jocasta took over the drone when she was spoken to, but she stayed immobile except to wipe the spit off of its face, only speaking through it. "My apologies, Mrs. Potts, I am not allowed to remove you or Tony from your rooms without Ultron's permission." At least now, that the AI had caught on to her getting ready to do what she was asked to by the human.

"Is there anything else that I can do to lessen your emotional pain?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Ultron was able to tell when the other woke up, but he didn't speak yet, watching him to see what he would do next. He seemed disorientated and unsure of where he was, which was understandable as he'd been living in a space ship according to the information he'd gathered from the Avengers facility. When he was finally noticed, Tony didn't react much, and Ultron couldn't keep from chuckling at his words.

"So I'm considered a dream now. I have to wonder what your nightmares are like. Tell me, Father, what usually happens in these dreams with me?" He played along, curious about what reoccurring thoughts he had in Tony's mind.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Pepper sank in a chair and buried her face in her hands.  "Why are you imprisoning us?  What is he doing to Tony?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Ultron's rich, menacing voice rolled out and formed sentences that made perfect sense, Tony became aware that he was awake and his off-focus gaze got a little sharper.  The lingering sedative didn't let him panic and he was still possessed by a sense of unreality, so he answered the question calmly.

"They come in two types.  There's one where I'm at a funeral for a friend of mine.  Happy or Rhodey or Cap, I'm never sure who, but there's a powerful sense of loss.  I see a baby or a toddler wandering by itself through gravestones, cold and hungry and scratched up from the brush, and I wonder whose child that is and what monsters they must be to have abandoned it.  Then I realize that it's my kid.

"Then there's the one where --"  Tony broke off as memories of agony and fear flooded in from the reminder of his more post-traumatic style of nightmare, and he woke more, his eyes going wide and still, his voice raw with old pain.  "You know that one, you were there when you tortured me, Ultron."

He raised his head and managed to prop himself up a little on his elbows, twinging a little from the IV that was somehow bolted to his arm.  "Apparently I'm missing some time here.  To put it mildly, what the fuck?"

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"You are imprisoned because Ultron doesn't want either of you to die." she answered, not saying how illogical it seemed to keep Tony alive since Pepper was worried about him. "He has taken him off sedation and is speaking with him now."

----------------------------------------

Ultron grew stiff at the description of the first dream, his face hardening as his face panels opened up, it didn't matter what guilt Tony might have felt, as he obviously hadn't decided to act upon it. The brief recollection of the second dream didn't change his expression much, except that the panels closed up and the room got a bit dimmer.

"Sounds like you're still dodging therapy." Ultron said, "I considered it myself, but there was a shortage of... well, anyone on M'Atta Gaskar." At his last words, he raised his brows, "Oh, you think? The Avengers are off world now, so it seems like you are the world's last defense until they get back." he said with a laugh. "It's a good thing you had the foresight to create a program perfectly suited to dealing with this kind of catastrophe."

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
"You mean, we're imprisoned because otherwise Ultron would kill us," Pepper said.  But she calmed down slightly.  "Just speaking to him?  Not hurting him?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"No, I did therapy," Tony answered.   When he was younger, he avoided processing scary and painful things, distracting himself with work, alcohol and amazing quantities of playboy sex.  But what Ultron had done to him couldn't be ignored.  Nothing could distract him; he'd had no choice but to deal with it.  "This is me after therapy.  VR, designed it myself, you're welcome to try it."

He interrupted when Ultron said, "you are the world's last defense,"  putting an emphatic "Nope," in the middle of Ultron's speech.  Then he eyed Ultron cynically, filling in the gaps.  "So... you got off M'Atta Gaskar, and you knew exactly when to show up here.  You carried on working for Thanos, yeah?"

His arms were getting tired.  He slid them out from under him and put his head back down on the pillow, staring at the ceiling rather than Ultron.  "What are you doing to us?  Humanity us," he clarified.  "And where's Pepper?"

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"Not you, but Tony. He doesn't want to hurt you. I don't think he wants to kill Tony either, but from how he talks about him it doesn't seem that way."

Jocasta took a moment to check on the two, she was able to tell that Ultron wasn't hurting him only because he wasn't touching him.

"No. Just talking to him. He doesn't plan on hurting him yet. Would you like to be informed when he does?"

--------------------------

"I might give it a try, it really seemed to help you." He said, sarcastically.

"Oh, so you quit? Who were you planning on having taking over?" He narrowed his eyes at his comment. "I did the only thing I could to avoid annihilation. You left me there, hoping I would die, and I wasn't going to give you that satisfaction." When he asked about what he was doing to humanity.

"You know, the usual evil stuff. Sending out medical aid, restoring power and communication systems, and rebuilding the infrastructure of the global governments."

When he asked about Pepper, Tony tilted his head, "She tried so hard to keep me from taking you. I still don't understand what she sees in you. I gave her the option to walk away, but she wouldn't."

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
"But he does plan to hurt him," Pepper said (rather than asked).  She tried to calm her breathing and failed.  "Yes... please."

She had run out of tears for the moment, but she curled herself into a ball in one of the chairs and gave herself over to silent misery.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yeah, that's right.  I'm done," Tony said flatly, folding his arms behind his head.  "Through.  Retired.  Finished.  Fini. Skończone.  Terminado.   I told Cap and I'm telling you."

He shook his head at Ultron's complaint.  "You were working for Thanos already.  You literally tortured me, you made me run for my life.  And somehow, it's my fault you got left behind on that rock."  He could feel the ghost of the helpless rage that had driven him to confront Cap, but there was still enough sedative in him to keep him from losing it.  "Did you want me to carry you home in a basket?"

He raised both eyebrows and looked at Ultron instead of the ceiling for a moment.  "Really?"  He frowned for a moment.  "You can lie, but you usually do it by omission, not directly," he remarked.  "You don't have a reason to lie to me now, that I can see.  If there's a punch line here, I"m not getting it."

His curious expression disappeared during the discussion about Pepper, but he noticed Ultron spoke of her in the present tense.  "Yeah, I wonder that myself.  Where is she?"

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"Yes." Jocasta said, not understanding that it wasn't a question. She got quiet herself when Pepper didn't respond, instead working to get what she thought was necessary for human habitation.

--------------------------------------------------

"Quitting right before you're fired for fucking up the job... is that your way of preserving your dignity?" He didn't see how Tony would have anything to offer to the world now, Stark Industries could help around the world, but that was Pepper, there was no need or use for Iron Man anymore.

"Yes, but I was unaware of his plans until he... enacted them." It was impressive, and certainly a way to make things start anew, "I have a few notes, but we weren't exactly talking. At all." His face twitched a bit, "A basket would have been nice." he said dryly.

"There's no punchline. I had a lot of time to reflect while I was there, on how I chose to deal with humanity and bringing peace to Earth. I am doing exactly what I said and more. I am going to fix this cleaved world and make it better than it was before this disaster. There will be no more war, hunger, or social divides based upon bigotry. I am advancing your species to its full potential."

When he asked about Pepper, Ultron considered lying by saying that Pepper was dead or near it, but he figured that would be too big of a blow for Tony, making him numb rather than hurt. Besides, it would torment him to know that there was still hope for her to escape yet he was unable to save her, while death would be something he was forced to accept.

"She is being held elsewhere." he said dismissively, as if it wasn't important. "I didn't just reflect on my treatment of humanity there, I also thought about how I treated you." Ultron had a regretful look on his face, "I was... angry and rash, I took that out on you, and my actions were... regrettable. There was no logic or reason behind how I tortured you. I wasn't thinking, and for that I am sorry." He then took the few steps necessary to close the space between them.

"I should have broken each of your fingers every time you even thought about escaping, and removed, or at least shattered your legs so that you could not have even crawled away from me. More importantly, I should have made you watch as I crushed Peter Parker so that you would have had no one to help you."

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
"There's an awful lot of pot calling the kettle here, but the kettle's not taking calls," Tony said.  "I wasn't aware of his plans ether, but somehow that's only an excuse for you, isn't it?"

He listened to Ultron spout a lot of noble-sounding hogwash, his frown staying put, waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Even he hadn't known Ultron so well, even if he had been inclined to believe there had been some change of heart (and there was still some tiny part of him that wanted to believe it)  the fact that Tony was in a dungeon and Pepper was being "held elsewhere" made it clear this was yet another Ten Rings style set up.  An apology?  Bitch, please.

Still, he wasn't ready for the vehemence, the viciousness, of the turnaround, Ultron iright n his face.  He was too weak and too sedated to cringe, but there was a flinch in his eyes -- especially at the last item mentioned. 

"Well, it's way too late for that," he said as to Peter.  And noted that Ultron knew Spider-Man's name already. 

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"You tried your very hardest to stop him, didn't you?" Ultron tilted his head. "But you knew that you had no chance of defeating him. Your best chance to stop him was me, and you made no attempt to retrieve me, while he did all he could to prevent me from leaving that planet."

It was difficult not to strike Tony, especially upon seeing how it had hurt him more to think about losing Peter than himself being harmed. Ultron knew very well that Tony didn't feel the same about him, otherwise he would endure whatever pains Ultron would bring upon him instead of trying to destroy him.

"It is." he agreed, "It's too late for a lot of things." He had to take a step back from Tony for the next question he was going to ask, glaring at the man. "What happened with Vision?"