Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

Age Of Ultron For Real [M]

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
"Y'know, I'm pretty sure now i'm awake, and you keep trying to convince me I'm still dreaming," Tony said, with a frown.  "Everything you say is so utterly bereft of logic that it's surreal.  My goal was the preservation of humanity.  Why would I ever, ever voluntarily involve someone with your track record in that?

"And y'know what," he added, getting as heated as he had  with Cap, "you think you can take Thanos, why don't you get your silicon ass out there and take him?  He hit me with a planet!  Take a hole along with you, you'll need to hide in it!"

He was still attuned to Ultron's body language and could almost read his mind when the AI was contemplating violence.  Tony pushed back and sat up, slowly and painfully, pressing against the wall, the blanket falling off his naked upper body.  Every rib was visible under the skin.  "You want to hit me," he observed.  "Good idea, that'll finish this quickly." 

In spite of failure and grief and survivor's guilt, Tony wasn't remotely suicidal, certainly not while Pepper was in danger, but he had to be prepared to die and to make sure Ultron knew he was.

But the mention of Vision, while Peter was still hanging in the air, almost undid him.  He looked away, with fresh, raw grief and pain crossing his face.  Peter's death was three weeks old, but he had only just heard about Vision's.  "He's gone," he said, glaring back at Ultron, his eyes stinging from holding back tears.  "Wanda too."

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"For the same reason that Nick Fury involved someone with a track record like yours in the Avengers." Ultron spat back, "This would have never happened if you hadn't tried to kill me, if you hadn't left me behind, if you had made any attempt to allow me a chance to fulfill the purpose you made me for!

"With what, Father? You had at least one stone when you fought him if you remained with Stephen Strange, and you had years to prepare for something like this! You knew what was coming as well as I! The Avengers were never enough for something like this and you knew it! That is why you made me! But you let yourself be fooled by the quiet and your small wars on Earth, when you could have prepared Earth! This is all your fault!"

He took in a breath, as he was very ready to hit Tony, "No. I feel like hitting you. What I want is to draw out your death as long as possible." He continued to stare at Tony when the man looked away, his own voice more level than it had been throughout their encounter.

"For someone made of vibranium, he was terribly soft. He never used the Mind Stone to control anyone." he didn't have to ask that, for he knew the android would never take away someone's autonomy. "Both him and Wanda. The two 'good' things to come out of my creation are now gone." Now he turned away from Tony, slamming his fist into the concrete wall of the prison, chips of it bouncing off of his armor and onto the ground.

"He was supposed to outlive all of you!"

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
"I had my conversion, my road to Damascus, when Yinsen died, that's why Fury took a chance on me," Tony said.  "You're still a   torturer, murderer and genocidal maniac.  We tried to kill you because you were about to destroy the whole planet, remember?"

In response to the "it's all your fault," speech, he added, "You made it impossible.  This may come as news, since you've never experienced physical pain, but no human could trust you if you did to them what you've done to me."

He slid back down onto the stretcher.  Once he was supine, he couldn't stop the tears -- partly of grief and partly of exhaustion.  Even Ultron punching the wall didn't startle him much.  "He was," he agreed. 

After a short pause, he said.  "He would've given his life.  They were going to destroy the Mind Stone, so that Thanos couldn't use it.  He volunteered.  But Cap said no, they could extract it without killing him.  That's what gave Thanos enough time to rip it out of his skull.... I need to rest my eyes."

The argument, the grief, and the futile effort not to cry had worn him out.

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"I'm going to change that." Ultron paused, "The genocidal part at least." Even if he didn't have Tony, he figured that torture would be inevitable as he needed a better grasp on the human body, but he didn't mention it. "I wasn't going to destroy the whole planet. I know you humans consider the destruction of your species to be the end of the world, but there would still have been some humans left."

He glared at Tony when he spoke again, "Perhaps that's why I can never trust you." While he didn't understand physical pain, he knew emotional pain well enough, and at times it stung even to think about the man. "Deadpool trusted me, and I did much worse to him. Have you been staying in touch with him?"

Ultron didn't taunt the man over his tears, wondering if he had the ability to cry if he would have done so over Vision himself. He took a moment to regain himself, his hand dropping to his side as he vented air in and out loudly. He knew there couldn't be any other way that Thanos got it out of Vision, the stone wasn't meant to be removed, it was possible but an incredibly delicate and precise process and the alien wouldn't care about keeping the android alive. Still, it hurt to hear it spoken of, and as he had made the body to be able to perfectly match and mimic humans, he was sure that Vision had felt the physical pain Tony had spoken of.

"Do you want me to tuck you in?" Ultron asked when he announced he had to rest his eyes, the dim room lit up with floodlights as he turned to look at Tony again, "It must be nice to withdraw from reality. Dreams, darkness, even nightmares can make your life seem better than whatever horrors your mind produced. I no longer dream. Or...  I never did. I'm not..." He seemed to get distracted for a moment in his own confusion.

"What's the longest you've been completely alone for, Father? Several days? Maybe a few weeks? Were you ever unable to sleep during that time to escape from the loneliness? Did you distract yourself with your work? Neither of those things were possible for me, on those years I spent alone on that rock. Do you have any idea what that does to a person?"  Even though he had been working near constantly, there was never enough work for him to be distracted from his total isolation given his high-functioning processor.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
"Deadpool's a special case.  He heals.  Even his mind heals."  Tony knew this to be true, because otherwise Wade would be a drooling pile of mush by now.  "Mine doesn't.  And if he trusted you, why did he leave when he got the chance?  Why did Nebula?  You can't pin their decisions on me."

When the room flooded with light, he opened his eyes long enough to check out Ultron, see if there were any new variations on his design, and also to confirm that, yes, he was in a cell, albeit a basic federal government model that he could break himself out of if Ultron wasn't there.  He closed his eyes again.  "No electric sheep for you?  I wonder if it would be beneficial."  The engineer in him was talking.  "Surely you could make yourself go into a semi-dormant phase with some random stimuli programmed in... it's an interesting problem..."

He opened his eyes once more, blinking, at the pain he could just catch under the anger in Ultron's voice.  "No, I haven't experienced that exact flavor of torture yet."  Only the rich-narcissist version of being alone even while surrounded by other people.  "It's been well-documented what a person isolated for years suffers, but that isn't the same thing as going through it."  He also didn't have a frame of reference for how an AI would experience it.

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"It heals, but it isn't exactly restored. Have you kept in touch with him?" Sometimes chunks of memory went missing, he'd noticed, if he had a better grasp on the human brain he could figure out how to use that to his advantage. "Nebula never cared for me, and... Deadpool loved her more than he did me. And I'm not their responsibility."

Ultron didn't have any changes in his external design, wanting to appear familiar as he had looked on Earth before. "Not while there is work to be done." Even if all was peaceful, Ultron didn't want to become entirely unaware and vulnerable, and as far as he was concerned there was always work to be done.

"No, it isn't. And they cannot imagine what it's like for someone like me." He could go through all the data he had in seconds, it didn't matter how much information he stored, how slow he played it, he had seen it all before. Even when he had been created, he didn't want to be alone, and when the twins had left him he'd settled for the company of an enemy rather than solitude.

"The experience was..." He should have said 'maddening', but he didn't. "Humbling. I don't want a world without humans, without company. So I'm doing it the hard way, bringing peace in humanity's time." He eyed Tony. "Would you like to experience it? You could do with some humbling."

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
"Wow.  That's a... pretty mature attitude, for you," Tony said, surprised by the way Ultron spoke of Nebula and Deadpool.  And he sighed as Ultron repeated the question.  "You want Deadpool.  I want Pepper.  What do you say?  Deal?"  He shrugged.  "It's okay if it's no deal.  You'll find him if he wants to be found.  If he survived the snap."  Tony assumed the Infinity Gauntlet could overcome Wade's healing factor.

Although it was hard for him to have actual sympathy for Ultron, there was a part of him that understood the AI better than anyone else did (except Vision of course), especially when he spoke of what it was like to be him.  Once again he found his eyes staying open over his urge to drift off.  "That, I kind of get.  Not to the same degree.  But to have no distractions, no challenges, only your own empty thoughts echoing in your head forever, only your awareness of how utterly inadequate a person alone is.  Yeah, I can see where that would be humbling.

"I really don't," he answered.  "I don't want it, I don't need it, I just got my ass kicked by the one thing I've spent six years trying to stop."  Although he supposed that, if torture were on the table, no way out of it, solitary confinement was probably the only one he was physically up to enduring at the moment.

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"I told you, I've had time to think about these things." He knew it was true, but that didn't mean he liked it, and while he didn't think he was Deadpool's responsibility, he still felt that the mercenary was supposed to stay with him if he really was his friend. Now that he was separated from Nebula, he would have to see if he would continue to reject him, and if so, alterations would need to be made. "I've already found him. He's been... incredibly busy. Apparently, there are a lot of humans taking advantage of this to have people they dislike be killed and marked as a loss of this disaster. It doesn't matter how many of you are left, there is always one of you that wants another dead."

Ultron looked surprised then agitated by his words, since he had perfectly described how the AI had been feeling, and he didn't like that the other had such a deep understanding of him. It wasn't just that he disliked his perception, but that he was aware of how it had made him feel and still showed little regret for abandoning him.

"I didn't think so. I'll give you a chance then. If you can stay awake for ten more hours I won't leave you in solitary confinement." Ultron offered with a smile.

(( >> Yeah, Ultron's gonna stick him in solitary confinement until he feels better. But, it won't be entirely solitary because as soon as he brings in Deadpool he's going to want to see Tony/pop in as soon as he finds out he's there. Depends on what condition you want Tony in/how much time you want him having spent alone before then.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
"Oh, Wade," Tony sighed, rolling his eyes, clearly disappointed in the mercenary.  He had connected several times with Deadpool over the years... "connected" being a euphemism for wild, abandoned sex in out-of-the-way places that he prayed Pepper would never find out about... but it was hard to maintain a relationship with a guy who killed people for a living.  "Some people are always going to be assholes, but he doesn't need to be enabling them."

Tony, of course, found it impossible to regret "abandoning" Ultron, since what he had, in fact, been doing, was escaping from imprisonment and torture, but he also hadn't known Ultron was left alone.  There had still been pirates and mercenaries coming to M'Atta Gaskar, and Thanos had certainly known where Ultron was -- that the planet had been deserted shortly after he'd left came as news to him.

"No, I definitely can't do that," Tony said.  "It's only your scintillating conversation that's keeping me awake now."  In fact, he might have been able to force himself to stay awake that long, but if there was one torture worse than solitary confinement, it was sleep deprivation... besides which, he had reasons for wanting to be alone for a bit.

((Sounds good!  A couple of days sounds reasonable.  Give me a chance to post Tony's activities before Deadpool bursts in on him.  You might mention what Ultron's doing in the way of feeding Tony (I assume he is, if he wants Tony healthier) and about general conditions of confinement.))

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"Yes, they are. And I'll be sure that those assholes won't get away with it." The last thing he wanted on Earth were the kind of people that hired mercenaries.

"I didn't think so." Ultron said, moving to leave. "Enjoy your silence. I'll be sure that Pepper has company." He paused, taking something out of his chassis that had been out of sight. "I grabbed this for you." He placed the photograph of Peter and Tony on the man's chest before leaving him.

------------------------------------------

Ultron kept to his word, even though he wanted to speak with Tony himself, he wanted the man to have a taste of what he had felt even more. There was no sound from anywhere except what Tony made himself.

While Tony was asleep, he had a large trolley pushed into the cell beside the bed which, along with the toilet and sink, made it an even more cramped space. Inside and piled on top were military MREs, none requiring cooking, though heating was recommended, and he gave no method for Tony to do that. There were also new fluid bags for Tony to attach himself when his fluid ran out.

The only thing that ever entered occasionally was a faceless drone, which would attach fluids if Tony failed to, brought more supplies like blankets or toilet paper, but never took any garbage Tony left behind. The only light provided was the one overhead for varying hours a day, sometimes one hour, other times five or eight, and never on a consistent schedule. The rest of the time there was only the light through the small, barred hole in the cell door which was constantly on, the room outside concrete and entirely empty except when the drone came in.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Tony maintained a grim-faced silence when Ultron mentioned Pepper; it was the only point at which his face betrayed anger bordering on hatred for the AI.  His look when Ultron left him the photo of Peter was just an ironic brow cocked -- I see what you did there.  The gesture, which would border on thoughtfulness in others, was clearly intended as torment by Ultron.

When he was alone -- although he doubted he was unobserved -- Tony allowed himself ten minutes for losing his shit, emotionally speaking: he curled into a ball and sobbed, he hugged the photo and sobbed some more, he kicked the wall and hyperventilated, and then he let sleep take him down.

But first....

Tony was ordinarily very good at multi-tasking, but during the conversation with Ultron, he was too groggy and too distracted to do much with his processor and nanotech but run a systems check and diagnostics.  His external nanotech had been all but depleted during the battle with Thanos, but the internal bugs were doing fine, thanks to Nebula, who had shared her nanobot food along with everything else on the Benetar.  Ultron must know it was still there, but of course, he couldn't know how Tony had evolved and upgraded it.

Now, before drifting off, he made sure the little bugs were massing at his IV port to prevent any of Ultron's nanobots from getting inside him.  It was an obvious tactic for Ultron to pull, but Tony had the advantage of numbers and of there being a bottleneck that alien bugs had to use.  Ultron could put nanotech in his food as well, but that was a problem for later. 

He also told them to investigate the hard object in his back pocket.  He didn't want to pull it out and look at it, because he was sure Ultron had learned his lesson from the last time Tony was his prisoner, and was watching him constantly, probably through miniaturized cameras.  But he was pretty sure from the shape that it was a disk or small hard drive.  He set up a firewall in the bots that were going on that mission, in case it turned out to be something with a virus planted by Ultron, and wished them good luck.

When he woke up, not knowing how long after -- the drone with the trolley had barely disturbed him -- the bots had a report for him: the object was a backup hard drive, and the ones that had interfaced with it did not appear to be contaminated by any virus.  So, while he used the toilet and investigated the trolley's contents, the nanobots formed a conduit that went from his processor down his back under the skin and built a little disk-reader at the other end so that he could examine the code.

What he found made his heart leap; he was hard-pressed to keep the stolidly miserable expression on his face.  He went back to bed as if he were not hungry yet, pulling the blanket over his head so he could grin unseen.  JARVIS! 

That was going to make his plan so much easier.  It would've taking him weeks to create infiltration software from scratch; with JARVIS, it was more than three-quarters done already.  JARVIS had beaten Ultron from the inside back in 2015.  Of course, Ultron had gotten a lot of upgrades since then, so JARVIS would need all the improvements Tony could give him before they did anything together.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Time passed.  The silence was unnerving, the unpredictability of the lights even more so... although it would have been worse if Tony hadn't had a means of keeping track of time in his head.  He knew what Ultron was up to: depriving a person of stimuli and knocking his circadian rhythms out of whack was a standard means of disorienting a person and breaking down his resistance.  Ultron was probably reading every human treatise there was on the subject.  It probably would have worked, except Tony wasn't bored.  He was tense, he was frightened, he was grieving, he was often anxious, often depressed, but he had plenty to do.  He couldn't talk to JARVIS, the program was too dense to be downloaded entirely into his processor (for the moment), but he brought him in a piece at a time, for upgrades and improvements and compression. 

The fear of the disk being discovered was a serious one, so after a bit of thought, he had the nanobots perform a little surgery on his ass cheek and conceal the thing within the gluteus maximus muscle itself, and repair the surrounding tissue.  Now the main problem was keeping control of his expression while he was living in his own head so much. 

Eventually, of course, he had to check out the MREs.  He picked one that was easily digested by someone whose digestive system had gone underused for awhile, ate a single bite, and had his bots analyze it before eating any more.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 05:31:54 PM by Aries Jordan »

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
Ultron had put nanobots in the fluids, but wasn't disappointed when they failed to take. In fact, he had figured Tony still had them to defend and that they were improved, and none of them getting into him successfuly proved this. The MREs were normal, dusty, old, and unpleasant but non-toxic and without anything new added to them. He had made sure Tony couldn't remove the IV, not without drastic action, but he still needed him to eat and didn't want to discourage that. He wanted to continue assaulting the man's nanobots until their forces were weak enough to assimilate.

He wasn't able to pick up on what Tony was thinking or feeling most of the time, even though he was constantly monitoring him along with everything else he was doing. The world was quickly falling into his grasp, in the time he'd been gone more humans added the means for him to look inside their very homes, listen to what they were saying, read their most private thoughts. Anything that wasn't a hard copy was subject to his alterations, and soon much of the world was feeling the anti-Avenger sentiment. He had purchased much land worldwide for exorbiant prices, farmland, homes, empty plots, from people that could no longer afford it on their own and started up planting food and rapidly building high tech residences.

Another thing he had done was reroute the mass of orphans left in the wake of the Snap, along with any other unadopted from before the disaster. He knew the future was in the children, and he was going to make certain they were educated and raised the way he wanted them to be.

----------------------------------------

While Tony was considering his MRE, there was a change in his already irregular routine. Outside of the cell, there was the familiar pink sparkle of Deadpool's teleporter.

"Not in here either! God, would it kill him to make a map? Not everyone can pull up fancy blueprints in their head."

We aren't even supposed to be looking for him!

He doesn't suspect a thing!

"Yeah, quit being so paranoid."

It's not like he has the whole place stuffed with cameras.
[/color=white]

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Although Ultron probably didn't realize it, Pepper was suffering quite a bit more than Tony was, even though her captivity was far more cushy.  She did not have Tony's ability to solve problems that looked unsolvable, nor his ability to distract himself in situations of stress and boredom.  Her apartment was being put together around her, but this only disheartened her more, as it clearly demonstrated Ultron's intent to hold her and Tony indefinitely, and it scared her that she did not know why he wanted her.  If she were just a hostage for Tony's good behavior, there was no reason for all this physical comfort; there must be something more sinister going on.

She could do nothing, except observe, interrogate Jocasta, and wait for an opportunity.  She ate meals, not because she had any appetite but because she could not afford to be weak from hunger if and when a chance to escape occurred.  She used her treadmill one hour a day on the same principle, feeling like a hamster in an exercise wheel.  Sometimes she managed to distract herself with a book.  But most of the time, she just sat, preferably in small, enclosed spaces, weeping, depressed, frightened, and uncommunicative.  Sometimes, she held herself and rocked.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Tony realized that Ultron was trying to wear down his nanobots through attrition -- a good tactic, as Tony didn't have any food to give them -- he took a break from working on JARVIS and switched his attention to a nanobot upgrade he had always meant to do.  There was an obvious source of nanobot food: other nanobots.  In a couple of hours, he had them reprogrammed to cannibalize any that they captured, and they started stripping Ultron-bots down into their component elements and rebuilding them into Tony-bots.

Despite Ultron choosing unpleasant food, Tony could have told him that the only thing needed to make an MRE the food of the gods was three weeks of semi-starvation prior to eating one.  He was chewing his second bite with an expression of pleasure when pink sparkles made him think there was something wrong with his eyes.  And then there was the voice.

"Oh, God," Tony said.  He started laughing and crying at the same time; then he got up and went to the tiny barred window, trailing the IV tubing.  "Wade, you idiot, what are you doing here?"
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 12:37:47 PM by Aries Jordan »

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
Jocasta was able to tell that Pepper was suffering more than Tony while her creator couldn't, not because she was more perceptive but because she saw the difference between the two humans, and she was showing more emotion and distress than he was. So she did her best to answer her questions, and when she could provide no answer as to how she could improve her situation, she offered to cut off Ultron's direct surveillance so she could be more relaxed.

The AI had been agitated himself, watching Tony constantly, and decided to give himself a break by not surveying him at the moment, as he could always go back and watch the recordings. Instead, he went to speak with Pepper, Jocasta had told him what she had done and why. Normally, he would just tell Jocasta to cease and allow him direct surveillance again, but he didn't like that she had done it to alleviate her stress which seemed to increase each day despite the fact her environment was only improving.

"Ultron is coming in." Jocasta warned Pepper through the drone that remained in the room, although Ultron no longer took control of it and Jocasta only used it to move things for Pepper or to seem more personable when speaking to her. He came in a moment later, ready to prevent any escape attempt she might make, although there wouldn't be far for her to get in the facility before she was blocked by another sealed door.

"Ms. Potts." Ultron addressed her, "What's wrong? Are you bored? Is it the food?" Unlike Tony, he'd actually given her well-cooked meals.

"I think it's you." Jocasta said, "You didn't knock before coming in."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"God, this thing takes forever to cool off." Deadpool said to himself about the teleporter, "I'd be worried it would give me testicular cancer just using it, but y'know--" His costumed was rather torn up, though it didn't look like standard Ultron damage, having bullet holes and slices instead of the burns that came from his repulsors.

Oh, fuck! Ultron killed him! His ghost is here!

"I'm looking for the bathroom, ghost of Tony Stark." Deadpool replied to him, looking around the room.

He's in the cell, dumbass.

"Tony! You're alive!" Deadpool ran up to the door, even though he could only see the man's face, he could tell that he was malnourished, "How long has Ultron had you?! He said he's only been on Earth for like a week!"

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Pepper had suspected that Ultron was monitoring her, just because he was an AI and she was used to near-constant surveillance first by JARVIS and then by FRIDAY -- only they were friendly and responsive to orders.  She agreed she wanted it stopped, but did not fully believe Jocasta when she said it had been.  Jocasta could just be humoring her; how would she know?

When Jocasta announced that Ultron was coming in, Pepper got up to face him.  She was sick and tired of fear; it was time to remember that she was the CEO of Stark Industries, and try to behave accordingly.  At least she was still dressing the part, although she had to smooth down her clothes and put her hair back so she could stare back at Ultron with a little more self-possession than she had been displaying lately.

Once again, Ultron's sheer ignorance -- or sheer effrontery, it was hard to tell which -- made her jaw drop.  "What is wrong is that you're holding us prisoner and torturing the man that I love!"

But since Ultron was not going to stop doing those things just because they made her miserable, she tried looking for a compromise that might work to her advantage.  "And also I -- I'm not being useful," she said.  This was perfectly true.  She wiped her eyes, being careful out of habit to avoid smearing makeup, though she wasn't wearing any.  "I -- I'm used to spending my time running a company and helping people who need help.  I'm completely useless here.  I might as well not exist."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It's, uh, in here," Tony said.  He said this because the crazy idea of luring Wade in and jumping him for his teleportation device occurred to him.  But there were several objections to this plan, the most important being obvious danger to Pepper, and the least important being that Wade could probably break him in half with one hand right now.

He brushed tears away on the blanket he was wearing around his shoulders and leaned as close as he could to the merc.  "Yeah, not dead yet.  You either.  I didn't know if the Snap got you.  Or if it would take, with you.  Good to see you, buddy."  He tried to reach a few fingers through the mesh.  "I'm not sure, but I think it's only been three or four days.  Have you seen Pepper here?"