Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

Age Of Ultron For Real [M]

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Only a few hours had passed, but it seemed very long to Nebula.  The Wakandans had made the Avengers welcome and their top surviving government representatives(one for each of five tribes) and the woman Okoye were having a council of war with them, in which they kept asking the same two questions and getting the same two answers: 

Q: What could they do about the Snap?
A: Nothing.
Q: What could they do about Ultron's domination of Earth?
A: Very little.

In Nebula's opinion, though she kept it to herself, they ought to negotiate.  Arrange to live and let live, so long as Ultron wasn't harming anyone -- and it seemed fewer humans were being harmed now than ever before because Ultron wasn't even letting them harm each other, much.  But the Avengers would not even consider it while Stark was missing and probably a prisoner.  Since Nebula knew very well what Ultron was doing to Stark, and since she had become strangely attached to the erratic, brilliant, egotistical engineer during the weeks they shared in space, she could not blame them.

But they were getting nowhere.  Nebula left the fancy Wakandan counsel room, with the impressive throne empty of its king.  Since she hadn't been talking anyway, nobody noticed her go.  She made her way out of the city and across the savannah to the edge of the great force field, looking for Ultron drones.

((Both, but let's do them one at a time.))

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
Ultron had drones visibly stationed around the forcefield, they were all facing away from Wakanda, lit only with blue and stock still. When Nebula arrived, the one nearest to her turned around, its lights going red.

"If I thought it were possible, I would have tried to make a deal out of this. But the mention of your name has sent him into a frenzy, and by meeting him you might be saving me billions in property damage." He knew that asking her to do anything to the Wakandans would be damaging to his image, if she could even manage to do so given their security. As it was, he figured that he could use as many close allies as possible, and giving Deadpool to her seemed the best way to start a new alliance.

"The Wakandans don't want my drones this close to their home, so they would hardly tolerate a transport as well. I have one stationed for you to take several kilometers West of here."

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Nebula had no sense of humor that she was aware of, but she couldn't help a faint, fleeting smile at Ultron's description of Deadpool.

"I assume that's within walking distance."  She did not know how far a "kilometer" was.

She was about to ask Okoye to drop the shield when suddenly Rocket -- proving he was just as good at sneakily following people as the Terran mammal he resembled -- popped up out of the grass.  "Hey, Baldy, why're you leaving with the psychobot?"

"To find someone important to me,"Nebula said in her husky whisper.  She spoke into her wrist communicator.  "General Okoye, would you drop a section of your shield so that I can leave?"

There was a pause, as Okoye discussed her request with the Avengers, during which Rocket regarded the red-eyed drone suspiciously.  ""Y'know, you're all I got left," he said to Nebula. 

"You'd be welcome to come," Nebula answered, "but there will be mating involved."

"Eeew!  EEEEEW! You had to put that image in m head?  Your bald, sweaty bodies?  Disgusting!"  The raccoon put his face in his paws.  "Fine, go.  Just, just, come back, okay?"

Nebula gave him a surprised expression and a faint look of regret, but walked out as soon as the section of forcefield flickered out.  It snapped back on behind her.

((Shall we cut to the arrival, or does Ultron have some pontificating to do first?  :) ))

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
Ultron knew that what Nebula considered a walking distance was far greater than most humans did, but he still nodded at her question. The sentry looked curiously at Rocket when he appeared, trying to scan his cybernetics, but there was too much interference from the force field to get a good read on them. He didn't detect any direct hostility from the raccoon, so he let his insult slip. There was no attempt to object to his invitation either, although he wasn't certain if him and Deadpool would get along. Not so much that their interests would clash, but he was sure the mercenary would try to cuddle the thing. 

"... Now I have that image in my head." The sentry couldn't emote, but his voice conveyed his own disgust at Rocket's vivid description. When he told her to come back, the AI went through his memory files twice over for any mention of her and Rocket being friends, but found nothing, it seemed that the cyborg had made a multitude of new friends.

"Maybe I'll come along too." he said when he told her to come back. The sentry turned around and walked with Nebula toward where he had the ship stowed. "What happened with Thanos?" he asked, bluntly, "Is there a possibility of restoring the half of the universe he wiped out?"

((No pontificating (yet), just questions

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
"Sure," Rocket said to Ultron, a wicked grin crossing his muzzle as he eyed the drone.  "Your parts don't look like much, but I'm sure there's some good salvage in there."

"His primary form is more impressive," Nebula told the racoon before she left.

Her cybernetic stride ate up the ground quickly.  She would have run, but not knowing where the ship was, she let the sentry set the pace.  The topic that Ultron chose immediately lowered her spirits.  She studied the ground while answering.

"Thanos is dead.  The Asgardian killed him.  There is no possibility of restoration.  My father destroyed the Stones -- that was the energy signal we detected before we left.  My sister will never come back."   Gamora probably could not have been brought back anyway, but Nebula had allowed herself to hope.

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"You might find some of my parts in Wakanda if you look hard enough. I'm sure they tried to reclaim as much vibranium as possible from my previous forms." Which, besides any vibranium they might have had, were now leagues behind his current models. He thought having the creature try to take him apart would be worth the chance to scan his cybernetics.

"Who taught you about compliments?" He asked Nebula when she spoke on his behalf. The sentry didn't linger either, going in fast strides as well, but he didn't break into a run yet. He was quiet for a bit when Nebula answered him, only speaking once they'd stopped and reached the ship.

"I'm sorry." He said, his voice condolent. "Neither will my Vision. I hoped that maybe... if I had the Mind Stone he might be in there somewhere, even if the rest of him was..." The drone's fists clenched, "He did his best to kill me, and I to kill him, and I do not doubt he would immediately ally himself with the Avengers if I brought him back, but I still would. He was like my..." He opened the door to the idling ship, letting Nebula walk in first.

"We need to focus on who we still have. That is what the humans are trying to do." He didn't doubt Nebula claiming the stones were destroyed, he didn't know her to be an excellent liar, and even if she had learned to do so, the Avengers would be in action now trying to retrieve the stones if Thanos had simply dispersed them.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
"Stark," Nebula answered, curious what Ultron's reaction would be to the mention of his creator's name.  The drone's face had no range of expression, but the AI's voice had plenty.

She responded almost sympathetically to Ultron's condolences, albeit in her own subdued way.  "Families are difficult."  She went on board the ship unhesitatingly, her short swords and blaster, along with borderline indifference to whether she lived or died, giving her plenty of confidence.  "Though mine will trouble me no more.  What of Deadpool?" she asked, following Ultron's advice.  "Is he..."  She knew better than to ask if he were well.  "...sane?"

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"You two were close." His voice held a mix of suspicion, jealousy, and anger in it, and the drone's red light glowed a bit brighter.

"The more I learn about family aspects, the more difficult they seem." There was nothing sinister in the ship, though there was a severe lack of manual controls. The door closed and the ship took off soon after, moving upward out of the trees and picking up speed once above the clouds.

"No." Ultron answered without hesitation, "He is stable for now, but only when I keep him occupied. He has suffered his own loss, but not one that either of us could understand." Even though he had created Jocasta, he didn't consider her his child, and given the survival rate of Nebula's lovers Deadpool had spoken of, he doubted she had any children herself.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
"We became so," Nebula answered, with her usual indifferent honesty.  "I think we did.  He might recall it differently."  She used the present tense of Stark just to see if Ultron would remember to correct her.  "Battle and proximity to death made it so."

The lack of manual control didn't bother Nebula, her fingers capable of hacking almost anything if necessary.  She noticed the lack of windows and viewing ports and surmised that Ultron did not want her to know where they were going. 

After a few moments passing in silence on her part, it occurred to her that she was, possibly, being rude.  This was not something that she would have given much thought to previously.  She attempted to soften her voice.  "What of yourself, Ultron?  How are you?  The Terrans seem to do well under your care.  I had not expected that."

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"I'm sure he would have recalled it differently. He had a way of making socialites out of people." He wasn't going to push for more details, but he couldn't keep from asking one thing, "Did he talk about me at all?" He knew that she would tell him the truth.

She was partly right in her assumption, though the lack of view was also to keep motion sickness to a minimum given the high speed the machine traveled at. He would call the secrecy of the destination a bonus, though he planned on taking her to a neutral location.

He was not insulted by her silence, only because he remembered her acting the same toward him before, and that if he wanted to talk he would need to start. So it surprised him when she not only spoke up, but asked about his wellbeing and again complimented him.

"...You have really changed. But it has been a while since I last saw you. A long while." His voice modular cracked slightly at the end, but he continued in his regular voice right after. "It's a good thing, I think Deadpool will like the new you.

"I am..." He paused, "Fine. Terra, like much of the galaxy, has the majority under the control of the wealthy, powerful minority, who do not usually have the majority's best interests in mind. Control just needed to be returned to the majority." It wasn't as easy as that, though, since he'd still met quite a bit of resistance. "I am able to do what is best for humanity without the consequences and obstructions that humans face for trying to do the same thing." The ship began to slow down, "Like making sure everyone has shelter, clean water, and food at least."

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
"He makes friends almost as easily as he does enemies," Nebula observed gravely.  She considered Ultron's question, then said, "Twice.  He did not trust me at first, but he had to learn to, because his wound was infected and would have killed him without my help.  Your name came up in that discussion, and we compared what you did to him on M'Atta Gaskar with what Thanos has done to  me.  Then later, there was this conversation."

She activated the projector in her eye.  Tony's face appeared, gaunt and unshaven but not as thin as it got later.  Dim lights blinked behind him in Benetar's crew quarters and  David Bowie's Space Oddity played in the background.  Tony said, "Did Ultron ever finish his army for Thanos?  Have there been drones committing genocide on other planets?"

Nebula's voice, coming from off-camera, answered, "I do not know.  But I saw no sign of Ultron while I was Thanos' prisoner.  I believe my father meant to use Ultron on Terra."

Tony ran a hand through his dirty hair and sighed.  "Well, that's off my conscience, I guess."  His deft hands began folding up a paper football, but his mind was clearly elsewhere.  "I wonder.... whatever happened to him."  A pause, then, "How much air have we got left?"

"Eight days.  Perhaps less."

"Guess I'll never know, then."

Nebula cut the recording.  "That was all."

On the ship, she bit her lip and attempted a smile, but it was reluctant and disappeared quickly.  "I am not sanguine.  He seemed to like the old me very much.  I may not... stimulate him as I once did."

In spite of this comment, she had trouble keeping her seat as the ship descended. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 04:03:24 PM by Aries Jordan »

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
Ultron didn't try to bring up the topic of torture, he was able to tell that it was part of their bonding, and he doubted that she would be as approving of it as she had been before. The drone didn't look away from the projection, entirely focused on the image of Tony, it was surprising how much he had deteriorated in the week following this recording, given the condition Ultron had received him in. He was thankful that he hadn't used his primary body to get Nebula, as he wouldn't have been able to hide the emotions that came over him.

First, he was abated by Tony not only thinking of, but speaking of him in the time before his death, but then it turned to disgrace, as the only reason his father spoke of him was to clear his conscience of any further atrocities that his mistake committed, then anger at how flippant his final comment seemed. There didn't seem to be much regret in his words, and Ultron couldn't help but think that Tony had hoped the AI would simply fade out of existence, never to bother anyone again.

"Unless I bring it up." His voice was modulated, though there was an extreme strain to it, "Let us not discuss my father again." He knew that Nebula was too smart to think that Tony was dead, and even though he had told the mercenary not to share it with her, he doubted he would keep that promise. It didn't feel right giving Nebula even half-truths on the subject, not with how honest she'd been and how insulting it would be to her intelligence, but he also knew that an admittance from him could be broadcasted as easily as she had just done so with Tony.

"He liked the old me as well, but he doesn't seem to have an issue with my change in tactics." he said as they landed, "So I don't think you have anything to worry about." The door to the ship opened, and it was immediately obvious they weren't near the equator anymore as a cool breeze came into the ship. Deadpool's voice could be heard immediately as he talked to himself, not having even noticed the ship landing right by him.

"It's not too much--- is it too much? I think you're right, it is too much! We have to get Ultron to move us again! The moonlight is making this way too cheesy!" He was pacing back and forth in front of a picnic blanket that had an assortment of covered dishes on it, he was wearing a tux over his suit that looked like it had been taken off and put back on multiple times, and he was holding what was once a beautiful bouquet of flowers, but nearly all the petals had fallen off as he was wringing the stems with enough force to rip the plastic holding them together. On his mask he'd applied blush, eyeliner, lipstick, and even glued on some false eyelashes.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
"Very well.  I have been told that speaking of something painful to a sympathetic listener is beneficial," Nebula observed, looking down at her hands, "but I never found it so myself."

She was standing when the ship landed and had to brace herself on impact.  "Perhaps, but there is a fundamental difference between his regard for you and what he feels for me."  She was not reassured until the door opened and she was able to see Deadpool's agitation... and everything else.  Her jaw slackened.  "What is he wearing?"

She sprang out without waiting for Ultron's answer and moved toward him.  Her progress was odd -- first a few reluctant steps, then a couple of determined strides, and then she broke into a run.  As he turned toward her, she angled to crash right into him and grab him around the waist. 

She stared at his mask with a disconcerted expression.  "I am not kissing that."  Without asking permission, she grabbed the loose part at the back and ripped it off his face.  Then she leaned in and ravaged his mouth with hers, her whole body taut and vibrating against him.

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
Ultron wouldn't have been able to answer even if she gave him the chance to, as Deadpool hadn't looked like that when he'd been dropped off, which wasn't too long before he had retrieved Nebula.

"Or, we could blow up the moon! Then we don't have to move all the food."

Or you could just turn around.

"What?" Deadpool turned around to see what most considered a terrifying sight; Nebula running full speed at him. "Nebula!" He cried out, spreading his arms, when she crashed into him, he skidded back a bit but kept his balance.

"I thought you weren't-- I mean you wouldn't--" If she had asked, he would have told her no, since he was sure her memory of his face was better than it actually looked, but when she kissed him, he stopped caring, holding onto her like she'd melt away. He fell backward, still holding onto her and not breaking the kiss as he crashed into the food containers on the blanket.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Nebula toppled to the ground on top of him, equally careless of the scattered food containers, and kissed him until they were both gasping for breath.  Finding the rumpled tuxedo in her way, she ripped it off of him in a few determined moves so that she could caress his body with only his costume between them, and then kissed him some more, moving off his mouth for a line of hot, possessive kisses down his exposed throat.

She raised her head long enough to stare into his eyes with her black eyes and facial cybernetics glowing. "I suppose I should say hello at some point."

She got up and hauled him to his feet by the front of his costume, taking care this time not to disturb the remaining food, and pushed him up against a convenient tree, where she kissed him a few more times, her body taut and urgent against his.  Unlike Tony, she didn't seem to care whether Ultron was watching or not.