Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

Age Of Ultron For Real [M]

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Only a few hours had passed, but it seemed very long to Nebula.  The Wakandans had made the Avengers welcome and their top surviving government representatives(one for each of five tribes) and the woman Okoye were having a council of war with them, in which they kept asking the same two questions and getting the same two answers: 

Q: What could they do about the Snap?
A: Nothing.
Q: What could they do about Ultron's domination of Earth?
A: Very little.

In Nebula's opinion, though she kept it to herself, they ought to negotiate.  Arrange to live and let live, so long as Ultron wasn't harming anyone -- and it seemed fewer humans were being harmed now than ever before because Ultron wasn't even letting them harm each other, much.  But the Avengers would not even consider it while Stark was missing and probably a prisoner.  Since Nebula knew very well what Ultron was doing to Stark, and since she had become strangely attached to the erratic, brilliant, egotistical engineer during the weeks they shared in space, she could not blame them.

But they were getting nowhere.  Nebula left the fancy Wakandan counsel room, with the impressive throne empty of its king.  Since she hadn't been talking anyway, nobody noticed her go.  She made her way out of the city and across the savannah to the edge of the great force field, looking for Ultron drones.

((Both, but let's do them one at a time.))

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
Ultron had drones visibly stationed around the forcefield, they were all facing away from Wakanda, lit only with blue and stock still. When Nebula arrived, the one nearest to her turned around, its lights going red.

"If I thought it were possible, I would have tried to make a deal out of this. But the mention of your name has sent him into a frenzy, and by meeting him you might be saving me billions in property damage." He knew that asking her to do anything to the Wakandans would be damaging to his image, if she could even manage to do so given their security. As it was, he figured that he could use as many close allies as possible, and giving Deadpool to her seemed the best way to start a new alliance.

"The Wakandans don't want my drones this close to their home, so they would hardly tolerate a transport as well. I have one stationed for you to take several kilometers West of here."

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Nebula had no sense of humor that she was aware of, but she couldn't help a faint, fleeting smile at Ultron's description of Deadpool.

"I assume that's within walking distance."  She did not know how far a "kilometer" was.

She was about to ask Okoye to drop the shield when suddenly Rocket -- proving he was just as good at sneakily following people as the Terran mammal he resembled -- popped up out of the grass.  "Hey, Baldy, why're you leaving with the psychobot?"

"To find someone important to me,"Nebula said in her husky whisper.  She spoke into her wrist communicator.  "General Okoye, would you drop a section of your shield so that I can leave?"

There was a pause, as Okoye discussed her request with the Avengers, during which Rocket regarded the red-eyed drone suspiciously.  ""Y'know, you're all I got left," he said to Nebula. 

"You'd be welcome to come," Nebula answered, "but there will be mating involved."

"Eeew!  EEEEEW! You had to put that image in m head?  Your bald, sweaty bodies?  Disgusting!"  The raccoon put his face in his paws.  "Fine, go.  Just, just, come back, okay?"

Nebula gave him a surprised expression and a faint look of regret, but walked out as soon as the section of forcefield flickered out.  It snapped back on behind her.

((Shall we cut to the arrival, or does Ultron have some pontificating to do first?  :) ))

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
Ultron knew that what Nebula considered a walking distance was far greater than most humans did, but he still nodded at her question. The sentry looked curiously at Rocket when he appeared, trying to scan his cybernetics, but there was too much interference from the force field to get a good read on them. He didn't detect any direct hostility from the raccoon, so he let his insult slip. There was no attempt to object to his invitation either, although he wasn't certain if him and Deadpool would get along. Not so much that their interests would clash, but he was sure the mercenary would try to cuddle the thing. 

"... Now I have that image in my head." The sentry couldn't emote, but his voice conveyed his own disgust at Rocket's vivid description. When he told her to come back, the AI went through his memory files twice over for any mention of her and Rocket being friends, but found nothing, it seemed that the cyborg had made a multitude of new friends.

"Maybe I'll come along too." he said when he told her to come back. The sentry turned around and walked with Nebula toward where he had the ship stowed. "What happened with Thanos?" he asked, bluntly, "Is there a possibility of restoring the half of the universe he wiped out?"

((No pontificating (yet), just questions

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
"Sure," Rocket said to Ultron, a wicked grin crossing his muzzle as he eyed the drone.  "Your parts don't look like much, but I'm sure there's some good salvage in there."

"His primary form is more impressive," Nebula told the racoon before she left.

Her cybernetic stride ate up the ground quickly.  She would have run, but not knowing where the ship was, she let the sentry set the pace.  The topic that Ultron chose immediately lowered her spirits.  She studied the ground while answering.

"Thanos is dead.  The Asgardian killed him.  There is no possibility of restoration.  My father destroyed the Stones -- that was the energy signal we detected before we left.  My sister will never come back."   Gamora probably could not have been brought back anyway, but Nebula had allowed herself to hope.

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"You might find some of my parts in Wakanda if you look hard enough. I'm sure they tried to reclaim as much vibranium as possible from my previous forms." Which, besides any vibranium they might have had, were now leagues behind his current models. He thought having the creature try to take him apart would be worth the chance to scan his cybernetics.

"Who taught you about compliments?" He asked Nebula when she spoke on his behalf. The sentry didn't linger either, going in fast strides as well, but he didn't break into a run yet. He was quiet for a bit when Nebula answered him, only speaking once they'd stopped and reached the ship.

"I'm sorry." He said, his voice condolent. "Neither will my Vision. I hoped that maybe... if I had the Mind Stone he might be in there somewhere, even if the rest of him was..." The drone's fists clenched, "He did his best to kill me, and I to kill him, and I do not doubt he would immediately ally himself with the Avengers if I brought him back, but I still would. He was like my..." He opened the door to the idling ship, letting Nebula walk in first.

"We need to focus on who we still have. That is what the humans are trying to do." He didn't doubt Nebula claiming the stones were destroyed, he didn't know her to be an excellent liar, and even if she had learned to do so, the Avengers would be in action now trying to retrieve the stones if Thanos had simply dispersed them.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
"Stark," Nebula answered, curious what Ultron's reaction would be to the mention of his creator's name.  The drone's face had no range of expression, but the AI's voice had plenty.

She responded almost sympathetically to Ultron's condolences, albeit in her own subdued way.  "Families are difficult."  She went on board the ship unhesitatingly, her short swords and blaster, along with borderline indifference to whether she lived or died, giving her plenty of confidence.  "Though mine will trouble me no more.  What of Deadpool?" she asked, following Ultron's advice.  "Is he..."  She knew better than to ask if he were well.  "...sane?"

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"You two were close." His voice held a mix of suspicion, jealousy, and anger in it, and the drone's red light glowed a bit brighter.

"The more I learn about family aspects, the more difficult they seem." There was nothing sinister in the ship, though there was a severe lack of manual controls. The door closed and the ship took off soon after, moving upward out of the trees and picking up speed once above the clouds.

"No." Ultron answered without hesitation, "He is stable for now, but only when I keep him occupied. He has suffered his own loss, but not one that either of us could understand." Even though he had created Jocasta, he didn't consider her his child, and given the survival rate of Nebula's lovers Deadpool had spoken of, he doubted she had any children herself.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
"We became so," Nebula answered, with her usual indifferent honesty.  "I think we did.  He might recall it differently."  She used the present tense of Stark just to see if Ultron would remember to correct her.  "Battle and proximity to death made it so."

The lack of manual control didn't bother Nebula, her fingers capable of hacking almost anything if necessary.  She noticed the lack of windows and viewing ports and surmised that Ultron did not want her to know where they were going. 

After a few moments passing in silence on her part, it occurred to her that she was, possibly, being rude.  This was not something that she would have given much thought to previously.  She attempted to soften her voice.  "What of yourself, Ultron?  How are you?  The Terrans seem to do well under your care.  I had not expected that."