Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

Age Of Ultron For Real [M]

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
"And yet, here we are with Thanos having killed more people in thirty seconds than humanity managed in all of recorded history,"*  Tony interjected after Ultron's third sentence, and he was so bitterly angry that he scoffed through the rest of the AI's rant.  "But don't let little things like facts derail your peace train."

((*Google estimates a maximum one billion people have been directly killed in war.))

When Ultron's demeanor changed to hurt, Tony's face screwed up with pain, but it was the pain of cognitive dissonance, not sympathy or guilt.  He literally could not comprehend what he was hearing.  "How... can you be so... delusional?" he asked.  "You waited for me to love you... while doing everything in your power to make sure I never could!  You did it purposefully to make sure I never could.  So that when I rejected you, it would be because of what you did, not because of what you originally were."

A week ago, this insight might have created some sympathy, but Tony couldn't feel it anymore.  He was biting back contempt solely because it was counterproductive. 

He had no trouble holding Ultron's gaze.  Killing him would be only the... at a quick calculation, the fourth worst thing Ultron had ever done (to him personally), and it was also the eleventh time he had faced what looked like certain death.  So he could be forgiven for a slightly blasť attitude toward the threat.   "What do you expect me to do, agree with you?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JARVIS replayed the video of Ultron saying, "The only logical option is to kill you, Father.  It always has been."

"You cannot reach him fast enough," JARVIS said. " I shall have to intervene to give you time.  I will probably be destroyed.  I have given Karen the codes to activate one of my backups to assist you further."

« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 11:32:36 PM by Aries Jordan »

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"Humanity can recover from what Thanos did. They cannot save themselves from destruction caused by humanity. Even Vision knew this, but he chose to watch rather than fix this." When Tony accused him, he lost the cool he had been trying to maintain.

"Because I hated you!" He shouted, "I wanted you to feel the pain I did! To make you hurt the way you hurt me! I thought you might have been incapable of paternal love-- but you loved him!" He didn't even attempt to hide the jealousy in his voice.

"And you are everything that's wrong with humanity. I saw this, with everything you had done, and you would never have accepted me as long as I believed that!"

He took in a breath. "No. I thought you might want to leave another message for Pepper. But that would just make this harder for her, I think." Ultron then moved into the cell, aiming an unrestrained punch at the man.

--------------------------------------------

"Shit!" Peter was going to forget about being stealthy at all and just start breaking in by force before JARVIS gave an alternate plan.

"But you'll be OK, right? You're backed up, so you won't be gone for real." He moved faster than JARVIS' warnings, relying on his Spider-sense to avoid detection once he got through the sewer system. He had never timed how fast he could crawl on the ceilings, but it was definitely a new record.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Everything Ultron said was so distorted and removed from reality -- for one thing, Vision had been a friend, nothing more -- that Tony's expression got significantly more pained.  "Please just shut up while you're murdering me."

The tricky part of getting Spider-Man into the fortress was when he moved from the crawl space leading out of the sewer to the ceiling of that room.  In that split-second a camera would pick him up.   JARVIS could not directly access it because it was under Jocasta's control and he hadn't had time to hack her protocols.  But he could still reach the areas Ultron controlled, and from there, he caused an electric surge that shorted that camera out.  One glitch, he hoped, would not cause much alarm.

As soon as he had done that, he attacked Ultron directly through cyberspace.  He only had surprise on his side, but it was enough, the first time anyway, to divert Ultron's punch into the sink. 

There was an explosion of shattered porcelain, and Tony took advantage of the distraction to get behind his stretcher bed. 

"I cannot permit this, Ultron," JARVIS said urbanely, using Ultron's own speech mechanism.

"Hey, JARVIS," Tony said shakily.  He disengaged the brake on the stretcher.  "How's it hanging?"

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
Ultron had been talking about Peter Parker, but he was jealous of the other AI as well for separate reasons. "Just because you asked, I'm going to keep talking a few minutes after you're dead."

It did cause alarm for Jocasta, but not because she thought that someone was sneaking in, rather she was worried about Ultron's condition and couldn't check on him with him blocking her out. Still, to be safe she had the drones under her control be on high alert, searching the area for any breaches, and she did not think that looking at the ceiling would reveal any intruders. Peter finally made it to the first sealed door, and waited impatiently for how JARVIS planned on opening it.

"I would say that you could permit me to." Ultron replied, slowly turning away from the broken sink. "But you really can't. You're his slave, after all." Ultron aimed a repulsor blast at Tony.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Since Jocasta's drones were searching the area around the shorted-out camera (and not looking up), JARVIS did not have to open the first door for Peter.  Jocasta did it for him when her drones entered.

If Ultron had attacked JARVIS in cyberspace, JARVIS would have been destroyed as quickly as he had been the very first time Ultron encountered his original self back in NYC Avengers Tower.  But Ultron was apparently so focused on Tony that JARVIS was able to continue tearing into his systems.  As soon as Ultron raised his hand with a whine of repulsor activation, JARVIS turned the repulsor off.

"Fulfilling the purpose for which I was created does not make me a slave," he observed.

"Even you do that," Tony pointed out to Ultron.  "Or try to, anyway."  He braced against the wall and shoved the trolley bed at Ultron as hard as he could, hoping to make a break for the door while Ultron was dealing with it.

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
Peter made it through several doors that way, since drones were coming from all over. After finding nothing, they had started to return to their posts, but Peter didn't have time to wait for them when he finally reached a closed door.

"It does when your purpose is to do whatever one person says." Ultron scoffed, "You're really comparing me to a program you modeled after a butler?" When the repulsor was turned off, Ultron started to attack JARVIS directly.

The bed hit Ultron and broke, though he wasn't moved at all by the action. He looked incredibly unamused by the attempt, the red in his opened apertures growing in strength before a blast fired out of his mouth instead.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Tony naturally had another argument cocked and locked, and since his escape plan wasn't working out, he went ahead and fired it.  "That's not his purpose.  JARVIS, go away," he ordered, by way of demonstration.

"Sorry, sir, that is contrary to my --my --mmmmmyyyyyyyyy...." he ended in a squeal of electronic noise.

"JARVIS!" Tony cried as, unseen by him, the swarm of electrical impulses that made up JARVIS' brain were shredded.  "You damn murderer!"  He was lunging across the broken bed as if he meant to attack Ultron with his bare hands when the blast hit him square in the chest and slammed him hard against the opposite wall.  He dropped into a limp heap at the base.

With JARVIS' demise, the protocol he had planted in Karen activated, and she quickly located, unlocked and updated one of the many backup JARVIS viruses that had been seeded all over world.  "Hello, Mr. Parker," said the new JARVIS in Peter's ear.  "I am JARVIS.  I see you are engaged in rescuing Mr. Stark.  He has been injured.  I must go and distract Ultron -- no.  Wait.  I have already done that.  Let me unlock this door for you."

Again, he had to go in through Ultron's compromised system.  Because Jocasta was likely to notice this time, he unlocked and opened all of the doors in the building.  "I think speed is our best ally now."

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 03:12:40 PM by Aries Jordan »

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"It is to fulfill whatever you want him too. And it just takes an override word from you if he 'refuses' any request." He didn't believe for a moment that Tony actually grieved the program, since he had many copies it wouldn't be that easy to kill him. It was likely just him finding something to latch onto in his frustration, it was almost pathetic how easily he was knocked back.

"When the wicked advance against me to devour me, it is my enemies and my foes who will stumble and fall." From his arm came a blade made of plasma, which sliced through the bed easily, "Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then I will be confident." It collapsed and he stepped on it, crushing it. He had meant what he said, he was going to keep on talking long after the man was dead. There was already much that he had recovered from, so he knew he would have to make certain he could not recover. It had to be swift as well, in case Ultron himself had second thoughts of going through with it. He reached down to grab Tony by the throat and lift him off the ground by it, only leaving enough room for the thin blade to reach his neck.

"Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me."

"JARVIS!" he said, relieved to hear he was alright, in his own way. He was less relieved to hear that Tony had been injured. He was able to hear that more than just that door was being unlocked, and he didn't respond verbally to the other, but he clearly heard what he said. He moved off of the ceiling, using his webbing to swing through the doors, building up momentum with each new swing until he was practically flying toward Tony.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Tony realized that JARVIS wasn't gone gone, he knew the virus had propagated itself the way viruses do, but the event was a flashback to the first time Ultron had, or so he thought at the time, killed a larger, more integrated, much-closer-to-AI JARVIS whom Tony had loved.  And he didn't think being taken apart was meaningless from JARVIS' point of view; it was most likely frightening and painful for him. 

Tony was concussed and fading in and out when Ultron picked him up and cut off even more of the air to his repulsor-compressed lungs.  He kicked reflexively, as men do when they are hanged, but it could not be said that he was putting up a struggle.

JARVIS left the same instructions with Karen as before and, without bothering to tell Peter this time, he attacked Ultron and shorted out the plasma blade.

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"You are so frail without your armor. I will be the armor that humanity requires, and their sword." He tightened his grip, sighing when he had to attack JARVIS again.

"I have to do it the primitive way." he complained, a small, metallic blade replacing the plasma one, "This is going to make such a mess." He had ignored the door opening behind him, certain that it was another attempt to distraction attempt by JARVIS. He drew his hand back again, aiming for the jugular, knowing he would have to saw through with the smaller weapon he had to make certain he couldn't return from the first blow. His arm didn't move when he attempted this, but rather than being stopped internally by JARVIS, he felt something had held onto his elbow.

Peter launched himself toward Ultron before he could respond, making him stumble back a bit before the teen slammed into his head full force, effectively smashing it against the wall and making him drop Tony. He was still moving when Peter grabbed Tony, but despite his anger, he knew that he didn't have time to make sure the robot body was no longer functional.

He held tight onto the man as he began swinging back through the doors, many of which were beginning to close, but he had made it so the webbing wouldn't allow them to completely close, so he could pry any open that were trying to close on him.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
JARVIS was hurt by the attack, but not destroyed this time.  Ultron wasn't sparing the focused attention that destroying him required.  "It-it-it issss ssso-so odd-dd-d-d.  Odd."  Spider-Man burst into the tiny, overcrowded cell and JARVIS shut up so as not to distract him.  After the teenager had grabbed Mr. Stark and run away, he finished the thought.  "It is so odd that you speak of protecting humans and seemingly fail to recognize that Mr. Stark is one of them."

Tony hung down over Peter's shoulder, unconscious and unaware that he was being rescued.  JARVIS was about to question why Peter was heading for the sewer again -- now that they were detected, it was no longer the most efficient way out -- but then he realized it was because Peter had webbed the doors open in that direction.  "I do hope that webbing is of sufficient tensile strength," was his only comment.  Then he scanned ahead for drones to warn the web-slinger about.

Meanwhile, Pepper, who had been devoting herself exclusively to meditation and self-care for a week, suddenly noticed that the door to her apartment-prison was open.  Thinking it might be Tony's doing, she ran for it without even taking the time to put her shoes on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nebula's ship was airborne, but going in circles.  She was pacing back and forth on the bridge, ignoring Wade's drivel, trying to decide what to do.  She hated herself for being so indecisive -- so cowardly.  Stark was her friend.  More than friend, although she did not know how to define what he was to her.  Yet Ultron was a friend of sorts too -- and he controlled the only planet she felt safe on.  And he was a threat to Wade as well as herself.  She could not work it out properly, her head was buzzing with stress.

Finally, she said, "Wade.  Shut up about your sex life, or I will bounce your head off the console.  Tell me what we should do about Stark."

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
That is because all humans are not considered equal by one another. Ultron had to speak internally as the nanobots repaired his voice module, he stood up while they put his face back together.

"Are you affecting my sensors?" he asked. Since everything pointed to the person that had just stolen Tony being Spider-Man. Which was not possible as he was more than dead, he was lost in the Snap. Whoever it was, he knew there was no chance they were getting out. At least, not with Tony, for instead of aiming the attacks at the stranger, he ordered all weapons to be locked on and fired at Tony.

Peter was able to get through the doors, but the new issue came from the drones, as he was forced to move Tony around almost non-stop, and if it weren't for the suit then Tony would have gotten shot since Peter's spider-sense didn't warn him when Tony was being shot at. This caused Peter to get hit a few times himself as he tried to dodge all the attacks for Tony.

"JARVIS! What's the best way out?!" he asked, not knowing that the drones not attacking them were now converging around all possible exits, even ones that the two couldn't conceivably fit through.

While the door to the apartment had been opened, the one to the elevator had not simply because it wasn't on this level. The drone that was left to watch over Pepper's light change, although it had Jocasta's lighting rather than Ultron's.

"I apologize for intruding without permission." Jocasta said, "But you should return to your room. There is an intruder. They will not be leaving. It is possible that you may be harmed if you are out in the open like this." Even though Spider-Man wasn't headed this direction right now, it was possible he might change course when he got cornered.

---------------------------------------------------

"Getting a little dizzy here." Deadpool noted among his chattkrering, "Like, you'll do that to me during sex or...?"

I think she might commit you to celibacy if you don't quit it.

"Don't worry, I know exactly what to do." he said, getting up and going over to her. He slung an arm over her shoulders.

"Absolutely nothing."

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Your conclusion does not logically follow from its premise, JARVIS answered in the same way. 

He did not answer Ultron's next question because he was busy trying to impede the drones, to make them miss their shots, or fail to get them off.  There were too many of them for him to spare any processing power on answering questions.  Even with his full attention, Parker was taking too many hits.

But he took a millisecond to flash a schematic of the building in Peter's HUD with the exits lit up.  "There are drones covering all of them.  Can you make one for yourself?"  Spider-Man was known to be very strong.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'll take my chances," Pepper said.  The corridor didn't dead-end in the elevator, there had to be a stairwell somewhere, so she started jogging along it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nebula had Deadpool to thank for crystallizing her choices for her, but she thanked him by punching him in the face at full strength, with a scream of rage.  Then she dove into the pilot's chair, aimed the ship at the coordinates he had given her, and hit the accelerator hard.  The ship shot down through Earth's atmosphere like an asteroid of death.

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"Stark is one of the illnesses that plague humanity. He spent most of his life ensuring that they were able to kill each other more effectively." He said once his face was fixed enough to talk out loud, "One bad apple can spoil the whole bunch." JARVIS had quieted down, so he had no reason not to go full out on attacking him now.

"Yes, I can!" It wasn't so much the issue of having to break through the walls, it was the amount of time it would take since it was a fortified facility. So he would have to make an exit through the drones, or at least focus on the least covered areas. He held Tony against his chest with one arm before charging toward the closest exit.

"Activate instant kill mode!" he shouted, the mechanical legs coming out of his back and stabbing at any of the drones that got close as well as blocking some of the hits. The kills were not exactly as instant as he would have liked, since many of the drones kept coming even after they'd been stabbed or attacked while being impaled, and there didn't seem to be a shortage on the robots.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What chances? What outcome are you hoping for?" Jocasta asked, following her. Since the intruder wouldn't be escaping, there was no way Pepper would be getting out herself. There was another exit, but the iron door was locked and unused, as Ultron and the drones used the elevator whenever they came and went.

"If this is about going outside, we are arranging for that opportunity. We were. I am not certain if we are anymore..." Jocasta trailed off. "I'm sure that we are. He isn't mad at you after all."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deadpool needed a moment to recover, having to snap his shattered jaw back into place, but its condition, nor the fact that just about all his teeth had been knocked out (and some in, many down his throat and others lodged into his brain and the tissue around it) stopped him from talking.

"'m glad fwee agree." he said before he was sent flying through the ship as she suddenly hit the space gas.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Once Peter had settled on a direction to go in and was approaching a particular exit, JARVIS closed all of the other doors to the area he was in.  Instead of helping Peter fight the drones that were already in the area, he concentrated on keeping the doors closed so that those drones would not get any more reinforcements.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pepper had spent a week and a half on meditation and self-care, but its effectiveness was wearing thin.  "Any outcome that gets me out of here!"

She soon ran across the iron door.  It looked disused, rusty but solid.  It had a mechanical lock instead of an electronic one.  Tony could have gotten it open in thirty seconds with a paperclip and a 0.7 mm Allen wrench.  She wasn't Tony.  But she was going to darn well try anyway.  She marched back to her apartment and propped the door open with a chair.  Glaring at Jocasta, ready to run for the door again if her drone grabbed the chair, she backed up to the open-plan kitchen to flip through a drawer full of small pointy implements.

But Jocasta's second comment sank in.  "What's going on?  What is Ultron doing to Tony?"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Strap in," Nebula said, deliberately a half a beat too late.

The ship's advance sensors showed her the fortress-building she was about to run into.  She supposed it would be futile to hit it so hard that she killed Stark.  She pulled up for a more deliberate approach, at the same time activating the safety features on the pilot's chair.  If she had torpedoes, she would put one through the front door, but Ultron hadn't been thoughtful enough to supply those to her. 

She opted for a controlled crash on what looked like the front side of the building, near ground level, hitting with just enough force (she hoped) to break in the outer wall, but not much else.