Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

To Ta[M]e a Dragon

Offline PendragonXeno94

• The Hoarder of Notebooks
    • View Profile
Quietly accepting the offered plate of food, Beleg gave Wren another once over as she sat next to him. Well, at least she seemed to be in a better mood. He began to eat when she finally said that she would go with him and protect. "Oh, that makes me feel so much better to have a woman as capable and irresistible as yourself to accompany me." Honestly, he was a little surprised that she worded it the way she did.

After she thanked him again, he grinned at her. "No need to thank me. Just doing what I do best." He knew his cockiness was beginning to show through once more, but at the same time, it was part of him and he couldn't help that. Just as he couldn't help him around a woman he deemed desirable. "I'm sure once I get you on the back of a dragon that you'll be eager to bring me home to your mother... even if she is a hag."
The dragon becomes me...

Offline D.R.Chevalier

• View Profile
Eating her meal in relative silence, Wren rolled her eyes at several of his comments. This time, she kept her silence, thinking about how her life was about to change vastly. She would no longer have a home, no longer have her forge, would be travelling next to a stranger, going to strange places and seeing strange things.

"We won't be coming back. I don't want to see that woman again. Don't ask." The hag had never cared truly for Wren, resenting the tall woman for being the child she never could have. Wren wasn't even her father's child. She had been found in a basket with only a single blanket at the edge of the forest. It had taken a long time for Wren to figure it out, but her father had never lied to her. He had found her, cold and shivering and crying, and taken her home, immediately making her his.

"She will be taken care of, but I... I don't have anything left for me here."

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
"Oh." Beleg fell silent as he continued to eat. He wasn't about to ask why she wasn't coming back. Instead, he scarfed the rest of his food down before looking up at her. "Are you sure you'll be alright traveling?" Not that he was eager to leave, but there was a dragon to catch.

He shrugged. "If we find a dragon hoard, you can find enough to start another forge." He was sure that she would want to go their separate ways once they reached the rebel camp. But then again, she could always stick around. That way, he wouldn't have to worry about trying to cook for himself or mend his clothes whenever he had a tear in them.

"But why would you want to leave? I'm sure there's something for you here. Not that I want you to stay. I could use the help." He already knew that she wouldn't give him the one thing he could have from other women. "You'll be taking the ring with you, too, right?"
The dragon becomes me...

Offline D.R.Chevalier

• View Profile
Sighing at his comments, she stood and held her hand out for him to give her his empty plate. She was sure there was nothing left for her here. No men wanted to marry a woman that could kill them in a single swing. No one here was brave enough to stand up to the king and the terrible things he was doing. It was a village of starving farmers and little else. This town was dying and if Wren didn't leave, she'd end up dying here too.

"I'm okay. I'll be a bit stiff in the morning, but it will be fine." Taking the plates to a bucket of clean water, she rinsed the plates and dried them with a nearby clean rag. It was then that she started packing a pack with travelling provisions. Dried food, a tin for water, stone and flint, and another small bag of coins. It was all she had that she could take with her.

Freezing when he asked about the ring, she felt torn. On one hand, it was made for her by her father. He had hoped to see her in a white dress one day, happy with a man at her side. He had wanted to bounce her children on his knee. It was a symbol of her father's hope. On the other hand, however, it was a reminder to Wren of how undesirable she was. She was not weak and demure. She would not allow someone to control her or bully her. The ring was a symbol of Wren's disappointment.

Turning to stoke the fire to last the night and keep the room warm, Wren decided with her back turned to the dragonkin. "I don't care about it," she lied. "Keep it if you want. Sell it. I don't care."

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Beleg handed her his empty plate and began to play around with her ring as she told him that she would be stiff in the morning. "If you say so." He didn't see any point in arguing, and if she said she was fine, then he would take her word for it. Though, he likely wouldn't feel bad if she hurt herself from not getting enough rest. He was about to pick up his cloak when she told him to keep the ring.

"Well, if you insist." With her back turned to him, he conjured another string, a little stronger than the last, and he put it around his neck. Though, he wouldn't sell it unless they absolutely needed the money. But then again, he would end up being a corpse in some part of a forest if he even attempted to do that. "I can always hunt if I have to," he added, hoping that it would help her take her mind off of whatever was bothering her.

"Wren, I can't promise I can carry you if you get hurt. But I can have a makeshift sled for you."
The dragon becomes me...

Offline D.R.Chevalier

• View Profile
Unsure as to why he was seemingly so worried about her getting hurt again, she cocked an eyebrow up and turned to look at him. Sure, she would be his travelling companion, another weapon and shield between him and danger, but why did it matter.

"I'm quite alright, Beleg. This isn't my first outing into the world." It wasn't a total lie. She had travelled with her father on many occasions. Deliveries to the next town over, often times taking shortcuts through the woods. One time, they had even been set upon by wolves. Instead of running, they fought, her father killing two of the wolves and scaring the others, and Wren injuring one, only for it to escape. She had been bitten on her leg, but managed to walk back to town with only a little more than a limp.

Feeling a small tug inside her chest, she could see some similarities between Beleg and her father. They both seemed to care.

"It'll be fine, Beleg. Get some rest. I'd like to leave before first light."

Walking over and settling into her bed once again, she gestured to a nearby second bed. It used to be her mother's awhile ago, but the old woman had taken to sleeping in an old rocking chair in a separate room several years ago.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
"If you insist," he said, ensuring he had enough of his own provisions before they had to leave. As he got around to putting the small bag of gold back in his satchel, Beleg found himself look back at Wren. He had a small smile on his face before he he turned his gaze away. When she told him to get rest, he looked to the bed that she gestured at.

"Aww, you don't need me to warm up?" he asked teasingly. Before he could let her respond, he crawled into the bed and fell asleep.

Turning in the bed, the covers and blankets were all over the bed and the floor as Beleg snored softly. His hand was almost touching the floor and his legs were hanging off the bed. As he rubbed his eyes, he slowly brought his head up and slipped off the bed.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline D.R.Chevalier

• View Profile
Wren was already awake as Beleg began to stir. She was sitting just outside in her shop, a mug of hot tea in her hand and a piece of crusty bread in the other. Simply watching as the town began to wake up. With the sun not yet up, few people were moving, but men were stumbling from the tavern to go home after a night of rabble rousing. Even though this was not truly Wren's hometown, this is where she grew up. Still, she understood that she needed to move on. With her father gone, it was time.

Finishing her bread and tea, she rose and moved back into the small house, nodding at Beleg as he slipped out of bed. "Good morning, Beleg. Are you ready to get moving? We have a dragon to tame..."

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
"'We?'" he asked groggily before he perked up some. "Oh! Yes, we do have a dragon to tame, don't we? We'll have to start our search out by the mountains." That was where any dragon would most likely be at. Though, he wondered why Wren was more than willing to go with him after what happened previously with the ring that was meant for her wedding day. But he couldn't complain, the company would be nice.

"It's nice to see you're doing well. You wouldn't mind if I ask you to carry me if my legs give out, would you?" Seeing how she almost towered over him, he didn't see any harm in asking her. "We should get moving, now. No doubt that hag will try to chase me off."
The dragon becomes me...

Offline D.R.Chevalier

• View Profile
Truth was that Wren was quite sore from yesterday. Both of her eyes sported blue, black and red bruises around them, but it seemed as though she saw clearly through them. Raising an eyebrow at Beleg when he asked if she would be able to carry him, she simply rolled her eyes and shouldered a pack with her belongings. Nearby, however, Wren had made a second cup of tea for Beleg and there was the other bit of bread for his breakfast. Gesturing to it, she sat and waited for him.

"She won't chase you out. She usually goes to the docks during the day. Always leaves before light."

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Seeing the second cup of tea and some bread, Beleg joined her and began to eat. "Oh, I'm sure she'll shake her cane and yell at us as we're heading out." Not that he cared. "Though, off subject: if I was taller, I could carry you. But I'd break my poor legs doing so." He cleared his throat.

"No offense." He continued to eat in silence and sip at his tea as he could feel Wren getting irritated by him.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline D.R.Chevalier

• View Profile
Wren remained quiet as Beleg ate his breakfast, idly checking her bag to be sure she had everything. Each item had at least one memory in addition to it's usefulness, but the hammering the pack had the dearest place in her heart. It was a small thing, and certainly not the kind one had in mind for a blacksmith. It had a worn wooden handle and the head of it was nearly completely black except for the surface that struck metal. It was her first and was good in a pinch. That hunk of iron and wood meant more to her than some silly ring that only brought sour thoughts to Wren's mind.

Standing once more, Wren stretched her arms out, wincing at the soreness, but continued past it. It would only get worse if she didn't use the muscles.

"She won't. I promise."

Slowly, doubt began to creep into Wren's mind.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Once he finished his breakfast, Beleg got his pack around and checked five or six time to ensure he had everything.

"So, are we ready to head out?" he asked. "I'm certainly eager to be elsewhere."

Ignoring the expression on Wren's face, he began to practically skip toward the door and stopped just outside of it, waiting for Wren to join him so they could continue their trek.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline D.R.Chevalier

• View Profile
Steeling herself from the fearsome doubts plaguing her, she shouldered her heavy pack and followed him out of the house, careful to close the door. That world was closed off to her now. Wren would not allow herself to turn back.

"So we're going to the mountains, correct? Did you bring adequate clothing?" Looking Beleg up and down, she noticed his clothes didn't see the warmest. Her own seemed lacking in warmth as well, but she had remembered to pack the only thin coat she had. Next to the ocean, the temperature stayed fairly warm year round.

"If we need to stop somewhere along the way to make money, I don't mind offering my blacksmithing skills."

It didn't take them long to reach the path through the forest, heading west towards the Verathi mountains. Wren chewed her lower lip, feeling a strange sense of unease as she looked towards the distant mountains.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
"Oh, I'll be fine," said Beleg, slinging the pack over his shoulder. "Besides, it won't be that cold."

When she mentioned that she could offer her blacksmithing skills, he nodded. "That will work, too."

So long as she didn't in the way of his money making...
The dragon becomes me...