Visionary Tales
If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

[M]y Jolly Sailor Bold

Offline PendragonXeno94

• The Hoarder of Notebooks
    • View Profile
Ripper gritted his teeth. "Worse than I thought... Doc's prob'ly usin' her for his own gain." He eyes snapped to the crew member. "Y'mean... she's still 'round? Y'know where she might've swam off to?"

The boy shook his head.

"Damn it all..." Ripper slammed his fist onto his desk. "Keep searchin'! They couldn't've gone far!"
--
Maria continued to pull the raft along until she grew short of breath. She hopped on to the raft and placed herself next to Sirius, letting the current take them for a while. "Tired..." she panted. "Need... to rest."

Well, they couldn't let the waves carry them forever. She would have to keep pulling them along until they either reached another ship or wherever their destination was.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"I think I saw several small pieces of land, one of em had a house. We could head there to check?" A crew member suggested.
----------------

Feeling the row boat rock side to side, Sirius opened his eyes and turned his attention to Maria.

"It's okay, you deserve a break." Sirius told her.

Sitting up, Sirius looked around the wide expanse of the sea. Feeling disheartened about this whole thing. How were they going to find the sea witch? How were they going to hope to find a ship that would help them? A sigh left him as he tried to look for positives. They had no oars to row the boat along even if he had more of his strength. They were literally at the mercy of the sea.

Heaven help them.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
"Well, go then!" Ripper barked. Any trace of the mermaid was better than none.
--------
Maria looked at him sadly. As much as she wanted to be encouraging, she couldn't pull them along the whole way. Unless they could track down another ship or somehow happen upon the sea witch, they would be adrift for days, maybe even weeks. As the boat was gently rocked by the sea, she inched closer and pressed her head on his shoulder. "Be fine..." she said softly.

A few ideas swirled about in her head. Perhaps she could lure a creature or two to help pull them along?
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
Ripper's crew decided to try and investigate a few smaller landmasses, including the house that rested on the small plot of land out there. Sirius sighed as Maria leaned against him, he gave her a weak smile to encourage but he was still at a lose on what to do. The day would pass and soon they were drifting under the night sky. Wide awake still, Sirius stared at the night sky. Finding it all pretty to look at but at the sound time, he felt like he could hear something whispering to him...something trying to urge him into the water.

Blinking a few times, he shook his head to get rid of the intrusive thoughts. He had to be imagining it, just like back at the house..right? There was no reason that the sea would be calling to him....it was just his curse messing with his tired mind.

The crew investigated the house and it was clear, the mermaid had been here. As they arrived back on the ship, one of them was quick to inform Ripper that the house showed recent signs of life and that both scents of the mermaid and the doctor were there. Including a great deal of blood from the doctor in the form of blood bandages as well as what had dripped onto the floorboards.

"They seemed to have shipped out to sea, if they had gone back to the village we would've intercepted them on the way or found em on the shore. They got a little row boat, they can't get far nor outrun us." they explained.

The first bit of good news huh?

Sirius breathed in, taking in the salty air as he felt something stir in him. The sound of a faint singing reached him, making him once again doubt his sanity.

"Maria? Can you hear that?" Sirius asked, setting his hands on the edge of the rowboat as he looked around.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
As they searched everywhere, Ripper continued to stare at the pearl, cursing to himself and hoping that they would return with some good news. Upon hearing that the doctor was with the mermaid, he growled and put the pearl down for a moment. "I don't care, just find 'em! Or I'll have yer damn heads!"

The crew scrambled away and left him with his precious pearl.
-----
Maria brought her head up as Sirius asked if she heard something. It sounded like... singing. Looking to him, she nodded. "Where?" She moved to one side of the boat and submerged her head to investigate where the sound was coming from. Once she brought her head up, she wrung the water out of her hair and began to look about her.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"Good question.." Sirius muttered as he tilted his head, listening to the song.

Why did sound like what he heard before? What was this? As the little boat drifted along, he spotted the outcropping of rocks. Was it...

"There! I think it's there." Sirius said, pointing to the outcropping.

If they indeed went there, Sirius would get off the boat and tie it off. Waiting for Maria to follow before he went farther. The song sounded stronger, soothing in it's own way. The outcropping apparantly hide the beauty of this island. Lush vegitation was everywhere and while he wanted to keep investigating, he paused and turned his gaze to Maria.

"Should we keep going?" Sirius asked her.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Seeing the rocky outcrop, she turned her head and noticed the lushness hiding behind them. After he tied the boat off, she quietly followed behind him as she wanted to see where the singing was coming from.

She kept herself close to him as the song grew louder. Glancing around, she tried to locate something she could use to defend herself should she need to.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
There were plenty of rocks she could pick up and use to throw at whatever she wanted. When they reached the tree line, she'd find some short branches that she could snap in half to make a spear. The sand would harden, thickening to solid earth. Within the center of this island was a large pound, several raised rocks were sticking up and resting upon one of them was a madien. Sher had a darker skin tone and ringed seal pelt rested beside her as she was singing.

"A selkie....? All the way out here?" Sirius muttered in surprise.

Why would a selkie be so far from the North? Unless...unless she was traveling with the normal seals to their mating grounds? But if so, how had her singing reached out so far?

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Maria was about to grab some sticks when she saw the selkie. They were normally further south, but perhaps she got lost or decided to follow a few seals up this way. Maybe she could help them.

Keeping the stones in her hands, she cautiously approached the selkie. "How... you here?" she asked. It was no use trying to speak much more without having some difficulty communicating. Sitting at the base of where the selkie was, she kept her eyes on her in case she decided to turn on them.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
Her singing stopped as she turned her gaze to the two of them.

“Why I swam of course. I wanted to see if I would have luck finding a mate down here.” She answered, before pausing to get a good look at them. “My.... I haven’t seen that kind of curse in a long time.”

“What, you can tell?” Sirius asked as he stepped forward. “Can you help me?”

“Oh no dear, I can’t. I’m not a witch but, the grand Sea Witch can”

“Do you know where she is?”

“Oh yes, deep within the ocean’s center in the deepest cave.”

A sigh left Sirius.

“How are we suppose to get there? I can’t risk changing and if I did....I’d probably lose control.” Sirius muttered.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Maria blinked as the selkie seemed to recognize Sirius' curse. But at least she knew where the sea witch was. But they couldn't just swim down with Sirius at risk of giving in to his curse. She sat down and pondered until she began to draw in the sand.

It seemed far fetched, but she hoped it would work. "I... call her out," she said. "Get her... to... surface. Have her help. Maybe cure."
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
“Oh dearie, I can’t do that. She only helps those who make the journey to her. A sort of way to prove you are worthy of her help.” The selkie explained. “One every five years though, she can be found far to the north in a cave just above sea level. Perhaps you should look there?”

“We have a rowboat, we can’t make it to the northern lands in that.” Sirius responded as he sighed.

It was looking hopeless.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Maria continued to ponder over until she drew something else. She tugged on Sirius' pant leg and pointed at what seemed to be a drawing of them riding on dolphins or whales. "Maybe...?" Well, it would solve the problem of him having to swim all the way down and it would likely help with their issue of getting further north in a rowboat.

She gestured to the drawing for the selkie to see.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
Sirius turned his gaze to Maria when he noticed the tugging, it took him a few moments to tell what it was; as he wasn't very well versed in seeing drawings that weren't related to anatomy, signs of illness, or ingredients in order to make medicine for the afflicted. A small shrug left him to agree with her. It was all a maybe.

"Hm.." The selkie pondered. "It is certainly a option, though you should have no problem asking them dear."

The selkie paused as she looked around, as if she sensed something. She picked up her fur and eased herself off the spot she had been sitting.

"I must take my leave, the air feels heavier..as if something else is near." She said. "Good luck to you two."

With that, the woman left. Slipping her fur on and turning into a lovely ringed seal, allowing for her to dive into the waters and disappeared. Sirius sighed as he put a hand to his chest, feeling a bit tired yet a bit of pressure.

"Okay....you go ask any wildlife if they're okay with helping. I'll....I need to stay on land." Sirius said.

As if the beast inside of him was agreeing, Sirius felt a sudden pressure go through the injury that had been slowly healing. The beast was sensing something nearby besides the sea. Course, Sirius couldn’t tell what was going on besides pain. Gritting his teeth as his hand clutches that spot on his chest, a pained growl left him. For a brief moment, he felt that feral nature kick in. Thankfully it was quick to fade, replaced by weariness as he propped himself against a tree.

“Go on....I’ll be here. I just need to catch...my breathe..” Sirius urges, slowly sinking to the ground to sit.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 04:41:23 AM by readlliea »

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Maria turned to the selkie as she watched her slip her fur on and turning into a ringed seal before swimming away. Looking back at Sirius, she went to place a hand on his arm before he told her to go ahead and see if she could find any help while he waited.

Nodding, she turned and leapt into the water, her legs morphing back into fins and she hastily went to look for any creature that could help them.
------
As the Sea Night stayed in place, Ripper had joined two of his crew to scour the seas for any sign of a mermaid or Sirius. "He's gotta 'ave that mermaid with 'im," he muttered. "Park the boat here." Hopping out, he swaggered around until he found lush greenery and Sirius sitting down. "Well, well... looks like the good doc is alive, after all." He slapped a hand on Sirius' shoulder. "Tell me, boy. Where that mermaid swim offta?"
The dragon becomes me...