Visionary Tales
If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

[M]y Jolly Sailor Bold

Offline PendragonXeno94

• The Hoarder of Notebooks
    • View Profile
While Maria was unsure what kind of sound was being muffled, she watched him stagger away into what she knew was his quarters and shut the door. After a few moments, she brought herself to her feet and carefully made her way to the door before sitting down and pressing her back to it.

"Sirius...?" she said softly after letting the silence linger for some time. "Are... you alright?" She turned to the door, gently tapping her hand on it. "Sirius?" She knew whatever she said wasn't to make things better, but she knew she could at least try to be there for him. No one else seemed to care. "Sirius?" she said again. "In. Let me... in."
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"No...go....." Sirius rasped out, shaking as he felt everything ache and he pressed his back harder against the wall.

Even in his weaker state, he could feel it stirring painfully. Everything felt too small on him, everything felt like it was suffiocating him as he sat there. Maria would be able to hear his heavy breathing through the door. His shaky blood soaked hand slowly reached up, grabbing a hold of the fabric at his chest where his heart would be. It was pounding in his chest. Much like the inevitable headache would when his body finally calmed down from this blasted curse.

"i don't...want it out...it wants...out.." he breathed heavily. "I can't..."

How could he possibly keep the thing in? He failed already and look what he did. Brutally murder a man who was just doing their job. He should've left them..he could've gotten Maria away from the crew. Could've gotten her to safety...what a fool he was to lose control and take away her chance of her escape. The claws at the ends of his fingernails were still there, slightly duller than they were earlier but rather prominent. Wincing slightly, he could feel his stomach growling for something to eat despite him having thrown up mere moments ago due to the relization of what he did to that officer. The fish he brought in here with him weren't cooked and considering how tired an drained he was....he didn't care.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
When he rasped that he wanted her to go, Maria frowned but brought herself up and walked away. While the crew was doing who knew what, she took a moment to go above deck.

Everything looked as though it was covered in blood. Ropes were frayed, smears of crimson were all over... two corpses remained in place. She turned away, looking to the sea once more. It was all she could not to tear up. Eventually, she threw herself overboard, her tail returning and she swam off.

She couldn't stay. Not if the curse did this to the one she would have called friend.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
Time hadn't been kind. Four years had went and the crew didn't find another mermaid, their once reason to be hopeful was long gone. And well...the crew didn't take kindly to it. He was the one who was still on the boat, so he should've been the one to watch her. No excuses....he only failed. Despite the Captain keeping him around, it was very clear he had to pay for the failure he presented. Underneath his shirt, there were long claw marks, scars from the beating he had endured as a whip wasn't a harsh enough punishment for the 'crime' he had commited. Oh well. At this point...Sirius found himself loosing his ability to really care about himself. If he was torn apart by sharks or these pirates...so be it. He hated the body he now had due to the curse taking hold each day. It gaining strength with the passage of time.

It was only when the second year had come that the Captain gave his new plan to them. They found a mermaid once, they could all do it again. The plan was to place a man on the small islands that were in different parts of the ocean. Considering Sirius had found the mermaid the first time...he could find one again. But due to the..transgression he had done, a crew mate was tasked to watch him. Make sure that his letters reporting in were genuine. Honeslty...Sirius found himself not really paying much attention. The found himself pondering if he could just find a way to slip away on that island and end it all.

As if it wasn't annoying enough on sea, the curse kept affecting them on land. While not turning into a sea wolf, they would turn into werewolves and now the lunar cycle affected them. Just fucking great. The small town that rested on the island he and a crewmate had been stationed at was a nice one. Sirius found himself being able to do his profession to grateful townsfolk. With time however, the sighting of werewolves or beasts in the forest soon frightened them. The crew mate was able to stay alive for the two years they lived on that island until recently. They were caught during the last full moon, and Sirius...hadn't the heart to watch the town execute them when the sun had come up.

Part of him wondered if he should've just let that happened to him. Though some part of him wanted to stay alive. THe death of the crewmate wasn't reported in during his last letter and part of Sirius felt rather...pleased with that small deception. After all, the captain got no reason to come here if he thinks everything is fine and dandy...and Sirius was fed up with sharing quarters with a man who wouldn't shut up about getting back to the ocean. The total four years had changed him though. His hair was now pure white with no hints of greys in it, fully consumed by the wolf's pelt color. His hazel eyes were more yellow now, they would pass as human as some people thought they were more of a amber but Sirius was often fearful that they would look closer. He had a rougher appearance, more muscle was on his bones and he even had the stubble for a beard growing in that he hated; shaving often didn't help...the darn hair grew back so fast. Hands were dotted in small scars, from scratches and cuts on the steep rocks near the water where he went fishing.

Winter was on it's way and that meant soon it would be harder to keep fishing the way he had. Normally, he merely dove into the water and swam around. Claws coming out as more of a second nature now to help him latch into a fish to catch it. With winter however...he would either have to resort to changing fully or just not bother with fishing. After all, there was prey on land...but that ran the risk of running into one of the villagers. A sigh left him as he stood there, setting his basket down that he was going to try to fill up as much as possible. Fishing was always easier with someone else helping....oh well. The final piece an silence was much better. With ease, he dived into the water to start fishing.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Four years. Four years of being alone and having to hide. She did her best to get by, though the wound she received from the stray bullet had turned into a small yet nasty scar. Her hair had grown out, though she cut it once or twice, actually making it shorter than it was before; her hair now rested just below her ears rather than on her shoulders. And yet, despite what happened, she still thought of Sirius. She wondered what became of him and how he was faring. After all, he was the one that had her go.

There wasn't much for her in the days that passed. She had seen the Sea Night in passing and she fled before anyone could see her. She never knew what they had planned for her, and she didn't care to know. However, she had been taken in by a kind old woman who was rendered blind after whatever tragic accident befell her. It was enough to keep herself in one spot for two and a half years, though the woman hardly bothered with helping her speak properly. And it was more frustration that she still had to pause to ensure that what she was saying came out right, though there were times she reverted back.

And now, the woman wanted her to meet her son in hopes that he would finally settle down and give her grandchildren. Maria had taken the time to go for a swim before the woman's son would arrive. Winter was quickly approaching and she wanted to enjoy the sea before it grew too cold. Her legs shifted and she swam as fast as her tail would allow her. As she leapt through the waves and let the current carry over her, she spotted a man sitting by the edge with a basket. Keeping herself concealed, she inched closer until she could see his face.

"Sirius?" she said, bringing herself up slightly.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
Swimming had gotten easier, he had at least honed that skill. Along with holding his breathe longer. Catching a couple of fish, he left the cold water and threw them into the basket. Shuddering slightly as he lacked the fur that his other forms would give him to endure the cold waters better. Taking a seat, he gave a sigh as he watched the fish flop about in it. Without the water, they couldn't breathe and soon that sound of them bouncing about would end. Yet a voice pulled him away from that sound, his name being said in a low tone. Causing him to search for the source and his eyes went wide.

"Maria? You....what are you doing here?" Sirius questioned, his voice showed surprise and shock.

Clearly he never expected to see her again. After all, the ocean was large and there was more than one of em as well. The chances of seeing one another again was so slim...how? Maria looked the same as she had last he saw...her hair was shorter...but him? He certainly changed in looks.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Maria came closer once Sirius acknowledged her presence. "I..." She brought herself up to sit next to him. "I swim. I... swim lots. A woman... I live with... her. She... has son... and..." It hard for her to speak this much as she wasn't used to saying more than one or two words. "She thinks... I... marry him."

She showed her hand to prove that there was no ring to signify that she was spoken for. "He comes... today." But frankly, she didn't want to meet him. From what she heard, he was a sailor who was gone for months at a time, and this would be the first time in three years to be home. She figured that he wasn't going back out to the sea if his mother was so eager to finally marry him off. While Sirius certainly changed since the last time she saw him, she was happy to see that he was better.

With that, she ran a hand through his hair and patted her hands over his chest, arms, and shoulders. "Hurt?" she asked.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
As she spoke of what was going on in her life, he couldn't help but feel annoyed. The old woman probably had good intentions but...having someone meet her son only meant one thing. Arrange marriage; which was pretty stupid in this instant as Maria wasn't her child.

"You have the right to refuse to marry him if you don't want to." Sirius told her. "She's not your mother, so she's got no right to try and marry you to some man."

Truthfully..he was still surprised to see her again. What were the odds? Granted, how did she see it was him through all...this? The curse did slow his aging but he still looked a little older now. the attempt of a beard growing in the form of stubble only aided in that look. As she did her own sort of..search on him, he gave a chuckle.

"No. I'm alright, tired and sore but no injuries." Sirius replied. "I see there are some issues remaining involving speech. I guess you've been doing more hiding all these years...for good reason. Although....The Captain's new plan to find ya or another mermaid is...a bit different. It's the only reason I'm stationed here. HE figured if he dropped a crew mate at different islands and have us report to him, we'd find one. Well. Since the one who was tasked with watching me due to what happened is no longer here...this is the best shot of a safe havean for ya. Since I'm the one doing all the reporting in. Simply...I don't tell em bout ya and no one can interfer this go."

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
"Well..." Maria frowned at the thought of being married off. What Sirius said was true. She wasn't this woman's child and she had no right to try and force her with her son. However, she wanted to give the woman's son a chance, though she doubted anything will come out of it.

As Sirius reassured her that he was fine and that Ripper had deployed other tactics to finding a mermaid to be rid of the curse. Once he said that he wouldn't tell the captain of her whereabouts, she nodded. "Yes." She even took the time to pick up his hands and look at them, frowning slightly at how they now looked. "Hands scarred..." she said softly.

Then, she showed him the one she had on her leg. "Shot," she continued. "On ship."

The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"They're not the only thing scarred but they're fine at least. I can still use em." Sirius replied in regards to his hands.

She'd be more freaked out if she saw the large scars on his chest and back. Hopefully she wouldn't see those any time soon. As she showed him a scar she had earned that day, a look of guilt came to his face.

"Did you get the bullet out? That would cause problems if it was left in there." Sirius asked. "Let's go inside, my cabin is further away from here but...talking out in the cold is just gonna get one of us sick."

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Not the only thing? She gave him a look of concern before he asked if she got the bullet out. "Yes." After he suggested they head inside, she got herself up and waited for him to lead her to his cabin.

Her mind began to spin with questions, such as what he had been doing all these years and what happened to the crew member he was with. But she simply followed him.

"Cold," she said, rubbing her arms as she pressed herself against his back.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
Picking up the basket, he started to walk. A kind smile on his face as he did so. Maybe he shouldn't have gotten the place farthest from the sea after all? No. IT was for the better that he kept himself that far away. After all, if he found Maria any earlier and well....she'd be in danger. Taking a deep breathe, he sighed as they walked. Feeling a twing of tension go through his body as she leaned into his back. At least...she couldn't feel the scars through all that fabric. Typical though...as they started to walk the first signs of snow started to descend form the sky.

"damn...I thought there was more time....I'll really have to do nothing but fish and hunt tomorrow..." Sirius muttered, a tone of displeasure in his voice as they walked.

The forest grew around them, tall and large trees towering over them. Their branches extending up toward the sky. As if reaching for the sunlight. Even though he has lived at sea for a good four years, he was glad to see these things. Sure the woods could grow dark and creepy but...he preferred it over the bottomless pit that was the ocean. Merely to sink forever...further down. A sound caught his attention, causing him to pause as he looked around. His strange eyes taking on the golden color fully as he was sent on alert.

"Don't...move.." Sirius instructed in a low voicec.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Maria eventually pulled away as she walked deeper into the woods with Sirius. She began to look around in awe as she had never seen trees seemingly reaching for the sky before. As she wandered a little to a few flowers that grew by a thicket. Freezing at the sound, she scanned her eyes as she searched for the source of the noise. The noise ceased, and she reached for the flowers before the noise sounded off again.

A low growl had her freeze once more. Looking up, she found herself being stared down by a ravenous bear. As the bear stood on its hind legs, its growl grew louder. Maria stayed in place before she quickly glanced at Sirius. She didn't dare say a word as she watched the bear come closer. It wasn't until the bear was in her face that she slowly backed away.

The bear took a step closer, and it circled around her before standing behind her. One roar, and it started on its chase.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
Oh he was used to seeing bears but not this close. They weren't a easy foe to go against and he wanted Maria to just get back to him. Only for things to go further downhill. Throwing the basket down, he rushed forward.

"MARIA MOVE!" Sirius ordered as he rammed into the bear.

The creature staggered with a angry roar and already, Sirius felt it rising in him. Growling angerily, his hair seemed to stand on end and his claws were already out. It was turning into his second nature...a nature he didn't really want still. The feeling though...the feeling of his own strength growing as it took hold. His tail emerged and it gave a flick, ears sticking out as they slanted. So easy now...to get lost in the feeling. To get consumed by it even outside of the full moon on land. Was this truely the state he was meant to fall into? Full moon nights, he had no control. What would that mean for now? He couldn't even think on that.

The bear let out a feral roar before it reared up, attempting to slam it's large paws down on him. Raising his own hands up, he blocked the attack. Knees buckling slight from the heavier weight, groaning slightly as he pushed back. The man's shirt and vest grew tighter on him as Maria could soon see that the doctor's muscle mass was now bigger than moments ago. As he shoved the bear back with a hard shove, he pulled the heavy coat off of himself; tearing it off more like it as the feeling of suffication by his attire was growing. There was a sound of creaking leather, accompanioned by a cracking sound, only for  large wolf like paws to emerge from his shoes as he took a step forward. Their color was a silvery grey  color. For the moment, he still had his clothes on; minus the coat and he looked human for what traits were left, mainly in his face. His glowing eyes stared down at the bear, challenging it slightly as he snarled back.

Even though he had pushed it back the bear wasn't giving in. Stubborn creatures they were. Even though he had the inhuman speed to go with his curse, he was trying to not fully give into it. He raised his arms to brace for impact as the bear's large paw essentially backhanded him. Causing Sirius to go flying a few feet and him tumbling to the ground hard. His vest got torn and snagged on a few branches and twigs. Slowly sitting up, he groaned as the blow was a heavy one. The bear's roaring though made his ears perk and his attention returned to it, the lumbering creature turning to stare at him. Narrowing his gaze, Sirius fell further into the mindset of his curse, growling lowly back to them as he transformed further.

His shirt and vest were unable to keep up as the man was a foot taller now but also sporting a more muscular build. The stubble on his face was longer, looking more like a beard that was slightly more grown in. The tattered remains of his shirt rested on the ground; while the vest was merely holding onto him by a few threads with man holes in it. Fur was starting to grow on his shoulders and on his arms. The thing that would probably catch Maria's attention as he lunged, were the multiple claw marks on his back and chest. Clearly from some creature of some sort and the scars were at least old.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 11:37:56 PM by readlliea »

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Rolling to the side, she dove to where the basket was and into the bushes. Everything felt like it was a blur. Sirius looked as though he used the same strength as he did when the mast almost fell on her. Between his muscles growing and paws ruining his shoes, she wasn't sure what she was seeing. She had seen in this form before, though not like this. It was all she could do to remain where she was as the bear continued to swipe and snap at Sirius.

She kept her eyes on them as the bear backhanded Sirius and he went a few feet back.

"No!" she cried, picking up a few rocks and pelting the bear with them. "Stop!"

Before long, the bear was beginning to approach her when Sirius growled at it. No sooner had she crouched back down, she saw the remains of Sirius's shirt fall to the ground in tattered pieces. She felt her cheeks redden when she saw how much muscle mass he had, but at the same time, she saw the scars on his back and chest as he lunged at the bear. She watched helplessly as the bear soon sank its teeth into his shoulder.

"SIRIUS!"
The dragon becomes me...