Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

Circus [M]agic

Aeon · 190 · 7193

Offline Aeon

• Teal Knight
    • View Profile
Atem had tensed visibly with the sudden sound at Yugi's door. He heard the words, and immediately his heart sank for her. Yugi, to her great credit, got up and seemed to brace herself. He had been about to get up himself, to shift into something to leave her in peace to handle things with her family, when she came back to him. Atem stopped in the middle of getting up, somewhat stunned as she came closer then pressed a kiss to his lips before once more surprising him. She had meant it then, had she? A moment later he was left alone in her room to deal with the enormity of what her words had meant. She...she was making a choice. And that choice had been him. It was nothing short of unusual for him, for someone of her station in her situation to make such a bold choice. For all she knew, he couldn't offer her any prospects (which certainly was very far from the case but she wasn't made aware). There could even be further hardships in her life because of her choice to be in something more than a relationship with him, and yet she had seemed so genuine and sincere.

She wanted this. As much as it surprised him. the very thought that his wait might be over was nearly too much to bear. For now though he couldn't begin to discuss that with her. Not with what he felt was great tragedy looming over her. He would give her time, perhaps even space, to deal with what he felt was her new reality--a life without her grandfather. He'd be there, of course he would, if she both wanted and needed him, but for now this was something he couldn't go with her to face. She would be alone when it came to that demon, and though it bothered him on a deep, unbearable level, he was bound by his current place in her life. With a sigh, he got up from her bed and moved toward the window. A moment later he had shifted to take the shape of a starling and drew his wings up to return to the circus.

Offline Kei

• View Profile
Days passed in silence and the house Yugi had left with her mother in a hurry from remained empty of all residents. It remained so for more than two weeks before finally some life was seen in the form of her father entering the house alone for a while then leaving again. Late into the next morning the entire family was seen coming back dressed in all black with their only daughter walking behind her parents soaked through to the bone and looking blank-eyed and lost. The rain was still pelting down when someone else joined the family as he'd been called to be with his fiance during her family's time a loss as was his right. Yugi really just wanted to left alone to her pain and mourning but she had to be the good little hostess instead. Eventually her father coaxed her mother to bed and that was when a horrible truth came out.

"Now that we're finally alone, I thought I'd tell you that the wedding will be moved up to as soon as we're done planning it. That old man was in the way for much too long as it was and he certainly took his time to die even with help." Yugi looked startled and the look Kaiba gave her had her expression going horrified. "What did you do?" Her tone was low and dangerous, with the edge of anger to it. She was shoved into a wall for her troubles and pressed against until she squeaked in protest as Kaiba dropped his head close to her neck. "I did what I had to in order to gain what I wanted. No one will ever realize what happened, even if you tell them. Now then, be a good girl, and do a little something for me won't you? After all, you've been away for such a long time and it isn't right to leave the man who'll be your husband wanting in such a way. So be a dear, and do as I say."

His tone was dark and deadly; expecting to be listened to without question. Yugi had other ideas and bit him, getting hit hard for her troubles. He then grabbed her hand and roughly yanked it over his crotch, forcing her to rub against him and she felt by how hard he was getting that he enjoyed forcing her in such a way. She struggled, incensed and beside herself, then finally bit him again until he bled and squeezed the length of him until he shoved her away. She scrambled back as he shoved her through a glass table, making her cut her hands. Then she felt something familiar on the floor and realized it was the pistol her Grandpa had given her so long ago. No one knew, but he'd taught her to use it. She did so now, the sound of a shot ringing out into the night leaving Kaiba bleeding on the floor looking for an excuse and Yugi running out into the rainy night.

She ran and ran, scrambling to pull her overdress off and leaving her in nothing but her underthings so she could move more even with her body hurting and blood all over her. She looked a mess, but didn't stop until she made inside the familiar walls of the circus. She snuck passed everyone and climbed up to the highest point she could reach and hid there, refusing to come down as her body was racked with sobs and terror from what she'd just done. How long she stayed there she didn't know, but eventually she heard someone calling her from down below and she refused to come down because she just didn't feel safe. This led to Ishizu heading to find her family and the man most familiar with the young lady. "Atem! I need your help, it's Yugi!" Knowing he'd follow even if she felt it was a bad idea that he grow closer to the girl, the older woman nonetheless led the way back to the bottom of the high reaches where the girl hid. "She won't come down, maybe you'll have better luck. We didn't dare risk sending someone up there in case it causes her to jump. I'm not even sure how she got up there without us seeing her. You're friendly with her, do something please!" Because she didn't want to see the kind young woman end her life there in her home.

Offline Aeon

• Teal Knight
    • View Profile
Atem did follow his aunt, picking his way through the little assembled crowd. He’d suspected her grandfather’s passing some two weeks ago, and had known the mourning period was a lengthy ordeal so he had given her space. What he couldn’t fathom now was why she was here and not with her parents, and more to the point, where the majority of her clothing had gone. A keen nose clearly scented blood, something which also surprised him, but from the looks of her he couldn’t risk approaching quickly. How did she even get up so high to begin with? All these thoughts muddled around in his head and he nodded to Ishizu’s request. He’d have to pick his way carefully.

Atem climbed up slowly, taking what he thought was the opposite route Yugi had gone just in case he’d spook her in the doing. When he was a little more Han halfway up, he called to her. “Yugi? It’s me. I’m not going to bring you down, but I do need to know what’s wrong.” He climbed higher, and so hose below couldn’t hear him his voice dropped. “I can smell blood. Is it yours or someone else’s?” He finished his climb, taking a good look at her and some instinctive portion of his brain kept him from reaching out. He was very much a predator, and right now she looked like frightened prey. One wrong move on his part could send her falling off the edge and he didn’t want her getting more hurt than she appeared to be.

Offline Kei

• View Profile
Yugi was curled up with her knees against her chest and her arms tightly around herself when she heard a familiar voice calling out to her. She let out a tiny keen of sound as she shifted and caused pain to shoot through her body from her rough treatment. It caused her to curl back in on herself as she shook from the shock of things going on. It was Atem though, and as he got higher up and closer to her she felt herself relax a bit because he wasn't one to ever hurt her and she felt safe with him.  Amethyst eyes lifted slowly to meet crimson, bloodshot and full of lingering pain and fear and distress from everything going on.

He asked her about the blood and she winced, dropping her head again and shuddering violently in pain and disgust before taking a deep breath and settling herself again. He was only trying to help. Eventually she answered him, voice quiet and small. "I...it's...some of it is mine, some of it isn't. He...I...I couldn't let him...and my Grandpa....he..." Pain lit behind her eyes again and she dropped her head, stressed beyond her ability to cope. She was angry and she was upset and the two weren't good together.

Eventually her desire to feel safe overrode her need to not be touched and she gave Atem a pleading look before giving him a begging query. "I...could you...come and sit with me? I want...I can't...I don't want to be alone. I hurt...but I don't feel safe so please don't make me climb down. He'll...hurt me again, and I don't have a way to defend myself this time. I...please Atem...I need you." She wanted to crawl into his lap and hide for the rest of eternity. She wanted to drown in his heat and familiar scent and know she was safe. She needed it, she needed him.

Offline Aeon

• Teal Knight
    • View Profile
Atem carefully scooted as close as he dared. She was not on a stable portion of the ceiling as she believed and he informed her of as much in a calm, sure tone. “Yugi, I’ll sit with you as long as you need me to, but right now you need to come back over here. That isn’t a safe place to sit. I know you’re scared. I know you’re hurt. But right now I need you right here. Please sweet one.” He outstretched one hand to her, offering it gently so as not to startle her. Clearly she’d undergone an immense trauma, and from the bits and pieces he heard now he supposed it had to do with Kaiba and the death of her grandfather. He needed clarity of course, but only once she was safely secured and calmed down would those answers come.

“We need to get you looked at. Can you show me your hands?” He waited, observing her. She did need to be tended to...”We need to get the glass out of these cuts, Yugi. If I have someone bring something to me, will you let me take care of this?” She also needed some clothing but that was another matter.

Offline Kei

• View Profile
Yugi curled in on herself once more, feeling overcome by her emotions and the sense of righteous fury and loss warring inside her making her hurt even worse. She didn't want to move ever again, she wanted to stay where she was that was safe and never come down to deal with the cruelness of the world ever again. She hated her parents for putting her through this, hated Kaiba for being so cruel, hated her Grandpa for leaving her all alone...she just...hated everything right then. No amount of money was worth this pain. No amount of love for her family made all the wrong done to her okay again. She was lost, she was alone, and she felt so unwanted then it just made her pain that much worse.

She felt like Atem contradicted himself. She'd given herself to him, but he'd said he was waiting for the right one. Yet he'd agreed when she'd said she'd rather stay with him, but how could he when she had nothing to offer him but her useless, weak little self? She wanted the world to make sense again, she wanted to have his ability to shift so she could become a bird and fly away from everything that had ever hurt her. She didn't want to be in this place any longer, it all just hurt too much. And yet...Amethyst eyes slowly lifted to regard the man on her thoughts as he scooted closer to her and told her the place she was hiding wasn't safe. What was now though, so it really didn't matter. Nothing really mattered but finding a way to stop all the pain she was in right then.

Still, he'd been kind to her, so she should try a bit a least. She looked down at her bleeding hands and arms, seeing the glass still embedded in them as the blood went down her arms and onto her undergarments. She didn't care, even though pain radiated from the injuries. After a while, she decided to just do what he wanted and get it over with, maybe it would hurt less that way. So she rose slowly, balancing on the small beam she'd been resting on for some time now. She didn't wobble or show any signs of losing her balance, as she was a good climber and normally quite enjoyed high places. So with surprising ease she moved from the beam she'd been on over to another one then finally over to Atem, tentatively showing him her bloody hands and turning her head up to give him a better look at the bruising on her face and the cut on her lip. She'd taken a beating before shooting Kaiba, and it showed. For now though, she'd give Atem his way. She just...had no more strength left.

"I don't want to go down there, please Atem. It's not...I can't. You can do whatever else you want, but just don't make me. I can't...protect myself anymore." She carefully settled down next to him where it was apparently more stable and stared blankly ahead, unsure of herself and so tired she wanted to curl up into a ball and be left alone. But he was here with her, and he'd always been kind, so maybe...maybe all wasn't lost?

Offline Aeon

• Teal Knight
    • View Profile
“I’m not going to make you go down, Yugi. But I can’t let you sit here in pain, bleeding, and indecent. It’s not safe for anyone, especially you.” His voice was gentle, soft. He definitely didn’t want to frighten her more than she already was, but at the same time he needed to be honest with her. Hiding up here wouldn’t keep her away from what had happened, and running away would only take her so far. Much though he wanted to react poorly to this whole situation, there were people watching the both of them from down below. Some very influential people that could make either of their lives exceedingly difficult, and so he had to play this carefully for both their sakes. His voice dropped to allow only herself to hear him. “I’m going to ask Mana to bring me some things, ok? I have to get you something for all of this, but I’m not going to leave you. We just have to be careful, sweet one. There are many eyes on us both right now.”

He turned away from her to call down instructions to Mana and the young woman disappeared to get the requested materials. She came back some five minutes later and climbed up, giving Atem what he had asked for before respectfully leaving the pair of them alone. Firstly, Atem settled a long, heavy coat around Yugi’s shoulders. It wouldn’t ward off the chill she felt inside, but at least it would keep others from looking at her inappropriately. Next, he unwrapped some clean bandages, a flask of alcohol, and small tweezers. “I need to get the glass out first. May I have your hand?” He was deliberately being overly formal, and he hoped she recognized the reason why. Their voices carried way up there....

“This is going to sting,” he cautioned before setting to work on her first hand. “You don’t have to talk about it, but is there anything I can do?”

Offline Kei

• View Profile
Yugi blinked slowly, the words from her companion coming out as if she were underwater and he above it. It was odd, but she supposed her state of shock was to blame. Really she didn't have the energy to care, she just wanted to curl up and be held for a while somewhere warm and safe. She did eventually nod to his comment of not making her go down but also needing to take care of her. That was fine, it wasn't like she wanted to be in pain after all. She felt dirty and weak and useless, but she really didn't have the energy to react so she just sat there. Part of her wanted to panic when she thought Atem was leaving her, but he assured her he was getting things from Mana and his lowered voice for her ears only and the return of the endearment from before had her relaxing minutely as she trusted him to keep his word to her.

When the coat was draped across her shoulders Yugi flinched visibly before wincing as the movement pulled things that hurt. She watched him unwrap bandages and alcohol in silence, trying to make herself focus on the here and now, but it was so difficult. Eventually he asked for her hand and she blinked up at him, amethyst eyes tired and sad and full of grief and loneliness as she looked up into his familiar crimson gaze. Finally she gave him her first hand in a tentative manner she'd never displayed with him before, but she couldn't help it as she hurt so badly just then. She winced and had to force herself not to jolt back as he started to work on tending to her hand but what really broke the dam was his asking if he could do anything even though he didn't expect her to talk about what had happened. For a moment, amethyst eyes went glacial as she remembered what had been done to her before grief and self-disgust took over again as tears fell down her cheeks once more.

She dropped her head to avoid Atem's gaze, feeling ashamed and unworthy now to stay with him even though she'd told him that was what she wanted. She was weak and selfish though, not a suitable match for such an amazing man. Still, he was being kind and she had to try before she fell deeper into the pit of despair that had overtaken her. It took her a few tries, but eventually her voice came quiet and barely there. It was hoarse and nearly a whisper, but at least she was finally speaking to him again. "I...he...no one can change what he did. I'm...he...I just...need something solid to hold onto. Anything. Something that's mine. Something to help remind me I'm real and not a useless waste of space. And just...don't make me go back there, please. I can't...he tried to...and he...I just can't. Can I stay here? With you?" She looked up and met his eyes again briefly, desperation and the faintest hope in her gaze before she dropped it. The words were so low they were only for him. She was trying at least. Mostly she wanted to stop hurting so badly.

Offline Aeon

• Teal Knight
    • View Profile
“You aren’t a waste of space, or useless, Yugi.” His words were quiet, solely for her, though instead of looking up at her and drawing suspicion, he kept his gaze on her hand as he pulled out the smallest shards of glass. He took a moment to rinse the wound with alcohol, prefacing this with a “this is going to hurt” statement before doing so. Once it was cleaned, he wrapped her injury and then moved to her other hand. This too he took slowly, almost seeming to drag the process out in order to be able to give her time to come to some semblance of peace before she had to go back down.

“Sweet one....I would love it if you would stay, but we aren’t alone here. If it were up to me, you wouldn’t have to ask.” Here was the crux of the problem—she wasn’t his to keep, much though he would have preferred it to be that way. “I won’t send you home, but they will come for you. Your parents, or even...Well, your fiancé. Legally there is nothing I can do. Not right now at least. Let me think of a plan, little one.” Because really this was skirting all aspects of the law and the both of them could lose their heads over this in a moment’s notice.

“You are strong, Yugi. Whatever he did, it will not break you.” He finally finished picking out all the glass shards and rinsed her hand again before bandaging her up once again. “Does that feel any better?”

Offline Kei

• View Profile
Yugi focused her blank stare at her hands as Atem continued to treat them. She winced more than once as he did so, but didn't make a move to get away as she felt she must somehow deserve to feel this pain for what she'd done. She'd hurt Kaiba, and honestly she still hoped she'd killed him, but at the same time part of her was horrified both by what she'd done and the reason behind it. He'd poisoned her Grandpa all so he could gain her as his prize. She was a possession to him and she wanted no part of him.

She offered a tiny half smile at the knowledge Atem wanted her to stay, yet it was the 'but' that had her expression dropping again. She hated that she was so constrained just because she was born into a wealthy family. He wanted time to think of a plan though, and she was going to have to give it to him. Mostly she wanted to curl up in Atem's lap and live there until everything didn't hurt so much anymore. She wanted to be held and she wanted to be comforted by someone that she could trust not to hurt her.

She wanted him. She wanted to stay with him. She'd chosen him, and yet by how he spoke it seemed that wasn't enough for him. Maybe she wasn't enough for him now that he realized how difficult it would be to have her. She should have expected that, honestly, but for now he was her best hope at freedom so she pushed the hurt threatening to overwhelm her deep inside herself and just allowed herself to be numb again. She couldn't be hurt by him if she didn't feel anything in the first place. She took a deep breath when finally he finished tending to her hands and asked if it felt any better.

She stared at her bandaged hands for a long moment, still seeing the blood and hearing the gunshot ringing through her mind and thus for a moment she didn't answer him before finally she gave herself a mental shake. She had to be strong to get out of this situation, even if he didn't want her anymore. She'd manage through the hurt she felt, she had to. If he was to be like all the rest, she would accept that so long as she got her freedom in the end. "It's...a bit better, thank you. Perhaps...perhaps we could go down now and away from all the eyes. They make me uncomfortable and I'd like to just sit and..." She shook her head.

Finally amethyst eyes lifted to meet crimson again and she kept her tone low and only for him. "I want to be somewhere where I can let you hold me. It's the only time I feel safe anymore. If it means I have to get down and deal with those people I will, but please Atem, I just...Can we? I'll deal with the consequences as they come, I know I can't run forever. And if he comes here..." She shuddered in terror and rage, staring at her hands again before looking back to him and speaking her mind even as she was greatly surprised at the ferocity in her tone. "If it comes to it, I won't let him hurt anyone else I care about, I can promise you that."

She could be brave, even if this man didn't want her. For her though it was like a living, breathing craving inside of her to just be near him. To that end she'd never allow Kaiba to hurt Atem while she had life left in her body. She'd do whatever it took to see this man safe no matter what, even if he didn't realize to what extent she'd go to for him. Even if he didn't want her, she wanted him and wasn't going to lose him to Kaiba. He could not want her, that was fine, but she wasn't going to lose his presence in her life until he walked out of her life forever.