Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

What’s [m]y age again? Abyssal x Pendragon

Offline AbyssalDM

• View Profile
An idle tug at his sleeve and he produced a piece of chalk. The large office he had been given for his job as the duke’s advisor and tutor to his family if necessary was more than enough for him to work with. He had a large slate board to write on and plenty of chalk and reference materials. The rapping of the chalk against the slate created a rhythmic sound, echoing off the hardwood floors and stone walls.

The center of the room was mostly open except for a few cushioned chairs for people to sit. There was an area rug of a deep forest green that matched Amentis’ eyes, and popped against the mostly earthen tones of the room and the seemingly monochrome appearance of Amentis.

Once the three questions he was going to ask his student were written, he turned back to the table, adjusting his books and writing materials. He had been so long out of working with nobles that he almost forgot how lucrative it was. On top of one of the bookshelves was an obsidian statuette of a raven, watching over the makeshift classroom.

It was time. Everything was in order, he was presentable and his book was ready. Now, he just had to wait for his student.

In an attempt to kill the time, he figured no better way than to add new spells to his tome. With his quill, a sheet of arcane ink and special paper, he got to work, intricately inscribing the pages with their necessary runes.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• The Hoarder of Noebooks
    • View Profile
Sapphire wasn't entirely keen on going to see her tutor, though her father insisted that she did. Sighing to herself, she had her long, fiery hair pulled back in two braids that almost caressed the floors. Her deep blue eyes had always been full of life, and this morning was no exception. As she made her way to the classroom, she held onto the bottom of her baby pink dress as she gazed out the window, sighing contently at the sea that sat on the horizon.

She sat by the window for some time, watching a few sea birds fly overhead and she gently touched her fingertips against the glass. Before long, a maid shooed her off, and she found herself walking to the classroom once more.

Entering, she dropped the ends of her dress and calmly walked in. "Good morning, Amentis," she said, her voice melodic and sweet. She sat down and began to fiddle with her braids. While she should be thinking of possible suitors and the fact that she was now twenty-one, she did like the idea of being in a room and being taught the ins and outs of the arcane arts. However, she always found herself yawning slightly and her mind wandering before she was forced to lose her train of thought.

Sapphire eyed Amentis writing in his tome as she was sure he didn't hear her come in. "What are you doing?" she asked.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline AbyssalDM

• View Profile
The quill froze as she entered, but he did not look up. "Good morning, Sapphire. That is your name, yes? Your father told me you'd be coming to see me." His tone was flat and somber, and full of the gravitas that belied his age. He was older than eight generations of the family he now worked for, but he didn't mind. He finished his scribing and slowly dried the quill off to set it down. "I was working on adding a few new spells to my spell book, that is all. Should you progress in your studies, perhaps you shall learn how to do it yourself."

He stood from behind the desk, his charcoal gray robes framing his slender frame. With ease he flicked his long white locks over his shoulder, pulling it back and tying it off with a silver ribbon. "Have a seat, and let us begin your tutelage." Amentis spoke with authority and severity, taking the matter with the utmost seriousness. "Pelor have mercy if I do not manage to teach you at least something of the respect for the power possible with magic."

He turned to the slate board behind him. The first of the questions was there, and he read. "How much do you know about the art and science of magic, Miss Pendrel? I would like to know of your knowledge base before I start my teachings." His voice seemed a bit more animated now, but still noble and with an air of gravity to it that other high elves didn't quite have. He looked back at her, those green eyes looking tired more than anything.

"I await your answer." He muttered, pulling a chair to him with mage hand and moving to take a seat under the writing.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Sapphire nodded. "I-" Clearing her throat, she continued fiddling with her braids, getting lost in her thoughts before she heard him speak. "I don't know much about it," she said.

She couldn't exactly focus on anything at that moment. Not that Amentis was distracting, she just occupied herself with different thoughts. Although he seemed a little stiff, but that was to be expected when he was older than all of her family. He didn't seem the type to put up with her should she go off like she always did.

"But if you asked me about the type of knots there are and who does what on a ship, I could tell you all about that. I love being out at sea. The wind in your hair, the spray of salt on your face. It's the best feeling in the world." She scrunched her nose. "Except when the weather gets bad, then it's no fun. There's also all kinds of ships, too. There's-"

Pausing, she could feel the irritation seething off of Amentis. "Sorry."
The dragon becomes me...

Offline AbyssalDM

• View Profile
He listened to her, letting her ramble for a bit. “No, that’s fine. I need to know where I am going to have to begin.” He cleared his throat as he wiped the questions on the board away with a wave of his hand. “Many misunderstand the arcane as a mystical or malicious force, and if used for ill it can be. However it is also helpful and capable of great , life changing feats.” He took out a dagger, holding it to his arm to prove a point as he cut away.

With a wince he looked over to Sapphire. “Normally, I’d have to take time and get this bandaged so it can heal. Repeat after me.” He slipped into some simple arcane common, giving her the chance to keep up as his wound bled.

When she finished the incantation the wound sealed itself, acting as if it was never there. “This is a very useful spell known as Healing Word. I figured since the requirements were simple, I’d rather give you a shot to figure it out on your own.”

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Watching him wipe the questions off the board, Sapphire threw her braids behind her back and was about to get up when Amentis pulled a dagger out. "What are you-" She nearly let out an audible gasp when he cut away at his arm, making her rush to him and began to panic a little. Before she could go fetch the bandaging, he had her repeat an incantation and her eyes widened when the wound sealed itself.

"Um, how do you want me to do that?" she asked. "I don't think I want to cut my arm like you cut yours..."
The dragon becomes me...

Offline AbyssalDM

• View Profile
He laughed, a harsh sound that seemed uncommon. "You just did. That incantation was the spell healing word. I am sorry to scare you like that, but I would be remiss to notice your ability to heal without an arcane focus." He smiled. "Come, let us go down to the courtyard by the sea. I would like to demonstrate something far more useful than just a simple healing spell. Also, I need to teach you how the principles of drawing on magic so you don't end up killing yourself." He turned to lead her out of the room and down the hall.

"Apologies for scaring you like that." He commented, waiting by the door. "It was, admittedly, a rather cruel test to see how you'd behave under a dangerous circumstance" Once he begin walking, he held his hands behind him, leaving his book behind in his office. His robes billowed around his boots, the methodical steps and the charcoal gray dressed high elf leading the young heir to the courtyard. "Other than sailing, what hobbies do you have, Sapphire? What do you do for fun?"

His questions trailed off as he looked around the grounds of the keep. He saw the stables outside, and a man laying on the ground, bleeding. "Hold that thought, I have work to do. Come with if you wish." He exited the building and moved at a brisk pace across the cobbled pathway. Two men were checking for a pulse. "What's going on here, sirs?"

"This 'ere fellow 'ot done kicked by a horse. 'es not wakin' up eitha."

"Stand back." He commanded. Kneeling down he placed a diamond in the man's chest and took out a small raven's head amulet. with an utterance of a phrase, the crystal pulsed with a baleful light and hovered a few inches over the man's chest, then shattered. One moment. Then a second. A gasp from the man on the ground and coughing. He would live... "take him to the infirmary, have him checked out. I want him fully cleared before he comes back to work." Amentis was stern, but not uncaring. And now he was out three hundred gold in diamond. Subconsciously, he dropped the amulet, the silver raven resting in the center of his chest. "Apologies, my lady. Emergencies called."

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Sapphire shrank back a little from his laugh. Before long, she was following him out of the room and out toward the courtyard. "Do you always do that to your students?" she asked him, remaining a few steps behind him as they walked down the hallway.  She was about to answer his question when he excused himself to go take of the bleeding man lying on the ground.

She watched as he placed a diamond on the man's chest before it shattered and the man was gasping for air. Running over, she stopped at Amentis' side and watched the two men carry the other away. "It's alright," she said. Finally being able to answer his question, she continued. "I like to read whenever I can. I also like to ride my horse, go for a walk, go for a swim, visit the small farm by the forest..." Her cheeks reddened at the admittance, though he didn't need to know why she went there. "Playing with the dogs, spending time with my mother when she isn't in one of her moods. Things like that." A sigh escaped her. "I'm sorry, I tend to talk a lot."

Smiling at the sound of waves crashing on the shore, she sat on the bench closest to the gate where she could watch the waves gently rocking the ships far from land and the sea birds barely touching its surface.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline AbyssalDM

• View Profile
She gained the eye of Amentis. "To answer your question: No, because I've never had a student." He took a seat, looking over the ocean with a serene expression. "I always did like the ocean. It brings me peace." He commented idly. "Those are all fine hobbies to have. You don't have to devote too much time to studying magic if it's not in your wheel house, but I was hired to teach you, and so I shall teach you in the ways of the world." He seemed to go contemplative. "I like to sit in a calm place, away from the city and think. Meditation brings focus in a busy world, a focus much needed for the practice of the arcane and divine arts."

He drew in a breath and looked in her direction. "Would you be willing to try? Meditation, that is." He hoped she'd say yes. It would give them something to fill the time with, after all. His hand rested on his knee, and he found his center, focusing and blocking out the errant thoughts in his mind. "Focus, feel the world around you and just be present."

The fifteen minutes of silence, only the ocean and breeze could be heard, Amentis was deathly still and seemed almost statuesque in his meditation. However, it would not last long, and soon a large raven swooped down, perching high above and looking down at him. The presence of the raven was unsettling, so much so he broke from his meditation to look up at it with a single, gray eye. "I know your father put me in charge of your instruction... But how much do you know of the gods?" He stood as he spoke, lines appearing as  his brows furrowed. "I know this is sudden, but I am being called away. It shouldn't take long, and I should be back soon. You have the option to come with, should your father deem it... acceptable. I'd not offer if I thought there was harm that could come of it."

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
"I see." Sapphire quietly smiled as Amentis commented on how he liked the ocean. As she listened to the ocean behind her, she turned to face him when asked if she was willing to try meditation. "Yes!" she said.

Quickly closing her eyes, she had a hard time concentrating on anything as her mind raced with various thoughts and ideas. How can I possibly feel the world around me, she thought. Finally opening her eyes, she looked to him, wondering how he could sit like that. She sighed before the raven appeared, and as she stood she hardly heard Amentis asking her something. "I... don't know much about them, either," she admitted. Her family hadn't been overly concerned about any belief system, though she had gone to a few services before.

"You.. you want me to go with you?" She could hardly contain her excitement. "Does this mean we're going sailing?" Surely, her father would have no problem with her going with Amentis as he made it sound like what he needed to do wasn't something that would compromise her safety.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline AbyssalDM

• View Profile
His arms crossed. “Unfortunately it’s not as simple as a boat trip. Where we are going roads or sails cannot take us.” Amentis turned to her, his eyes seemed to spark with excitement. He held his hand up and cast minor illusion, showing a simplified diagram of the great wheel cosmology. “There are many places beyond our realm. Some lie between the physical and the ethereal, while others are purely conceptual. Our journey is not a pleasure cruise, I’m afraid. I have been summoned to the Shadowfell, the plane of eternal twilight. If you truly wish to travel with me I request you to wear this amulet, so you may pass unscathed into my Lady’s halls.”

He handed her his raven amulet, hoping she abided by his concerns. He knew the plane was dangerous, but he was a regular and he knew what he was doing. “We shouldn’t be gone more than an hour.” He mentioned as he made the walk back to the classroom. “Last chance: are you sure you want to do this?”

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
"Oh." Disappointment laced her voice before he showed her a wheel. Taking the amulet, she quickly placed it around her neck as she followed him back to the classroom. "I... I'm sure," she said. She simply wanted to see what the realm was like and come back as soon as she could. She wondered what lied in the realm and who this lady was.

Then again, she promised that she would be out by the tree that sat near the shoreline when she was finished with her lessons that day. Hopefully, it would only be an hour like Amentis said, and she could hurry to her meeting place before anyone was the wiser.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline AbyssalDM

• View Profile
He nodded, laying out a set of armor that he began strapping on. The scale mail fit like a glove, and as he donned his shield with the same symbol as the amulet that Sapphire now had he looked to her, tome slung at his side. “Alright, I’m ready. Take my hand.” He held his arm out, free hand holding a small black iron tuning fork.

He tapped the tuning fork on his armor, the baleful tone resonating around them. The air warped and twisted and there was a feeling of weightlessness and a flash before their feet hit the solid floor. When her eyes would open, they stood outside a massive obsidian citadel, framed against a purple and navy blue sky.

“Come, we need to step inside to meet with my lady.” He moved at a brisk pace, though seemed to tread carefully here. The further in they went the darker it became, until light could not exist. Finally, the chamber door opened, revealing a long throne room, elegantly decorated in greys and blacks. On the throne was a black veiled figure with a porcelain mask, seemingly watching their approach.

“My loyal cleric returns. I did not expect you to respond to my message so quickly.” The mask emanated a soft, feminine voice that was oddly soothing. The mask seemed to study him, unnervingly still before turning in Sapphire’s direction. “And who might this be?”

Amentis took a deep breath, about to explain. “Well, you see... Like all things I get myself involved in, this is... complicated. She is my charge for the time being, that is all,”

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Sapphire looked at him with curious eyes as he strapped the armor and shield on. When he offered his arm, she quickly took it and pressed herself close to him as she felt the weightlessness before her feet touched the floor.

Looking around, she spotted the obsidian citadel before following Amentis. She stayed close beside him as everything seemed to plunge into darkness; the chamber door opened to reveal an elongated throne room that had a darker color scheme in comparison to other throne rooms she had seen before. When the figure spoke, she drew in her bottom lip and clenched Amentis' arm. "Who might you be?" she asked timidly.

She turned to Amentis for a moment.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline AbyssalDM

• View Profile
The black figure rose, moving in their direction. It seemed far taller until it was  just a slender veiled figure before them. A pale hand rose from the silken dress. “I am the Raven Queen, goddess of fate and the shepherd of souls of the dead.” The hand moved to the mask, pulling it off to reveal the face of a pale woman  radiant in her beauty.  A thin smile parted her lips “As long as you are here you need not fear me, child.”

Amentis nodded, eyes narrowing. “What did you need from me, my lady? I take it the message is urgent if you were to send a messenger.” He stepped slightly ahead of Sapphire, hoping to change the subject.

The goddess nodded. “My eyes survey the world, and a powerful artifact has gathered the attention of powerful and dangerous individuals. Another follower currently seeks the ancient fane of the Dawnfather, where the artifact lies. I wanted to ask if you would seek my artifact, gifted to my champion many millennia ago.”

He bowed, contemplating her quest. “If it is what you wish, it will be done.” He turned to Sapphire, looking concerned. For the first time since they had met there was a very real concern. He wanted to not bring her with him. Unlike this excursion, he knew he wouldn’t be able to control the external influences like he would here. “I will be away, my lady, you know how to reach me.” His soft voice carried and he cast teleport, gripping Sapphire’s hands tightly. In a blink they were in the courtyard, not even a minute having passed. “I’m sorry... I believe this is where I part ways, Sapphire. I doubt your father would let you come with me. I cannot guarantee your safety.”