Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

What’s [m]y age again? Abyssal x Pendragon

Offline PendragonXeno94

• The Hoarder of Noebooks
    • View Profile
Sapphire nearly bit her tongue. Already her heart was pounding and it was all she could do to grip Amentis' arm. Even the woman's soothing words did nothing for her. It was only when the Raven Queen directed her attention to Amentis and gave him his task did she manage to let out an uneasy, shaky breath.

When she found herself in the courtyard once more, she blinked a few times before registering the fact that Amentis spoke. "But... You only just got here." She didn't want to him to just leave and risk his life over something he was asked to retrieve, yet at the same time he would be free to go here and there as he pleased. Unlike her...

"If the lesson is completed, I'd like to go out for a walk." Before she let him answer, she went to her room where she pulled out some tattered servant's clothes tucked in the armoire. Quickly changing, she slipped out the window and made her way to the glen. As she sat on the boulder, she sighed to herself. "Where is he?"

"Sapphire?" a voice called.

Turning her head, she beamed at the sight of a lowly farmhand. "Vale!" she cried, rushing to his arms. "I'm sorry I was almost late."

"It's alright. I was worried I wouldn't get here." Gently pressing his lips to hers, he took her hands into his.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline AbyssalDM

• View Profile
Amentis was curious as to this young woman's activities, and so he removed his armor, leaving himself in those grey robes. He muttered under his breath and disappeared entirely, following along behind Sapphire as silent as a ghost. He watched for a time as she waited on a boulder, keeping himself hidden as best he could before he saw a young male come jogging up.

Quietly, arms crossed, he kept an eye on the two love birds, watching over them like a hawk. He wandered off a bit, muttering under his breath as the invisibility wore off, leaving him having to cast yet another spell. Quietly he shifted into the form of a raven and perched high above the two, watching them as if an omen from the gods themselves.

He was careful to remain silent, though he was curious to find out about this young love that was sprouting so eagerly. He wasn't one to judge, he had been that foolish young man who believed love would have brought him joy, but as of yet it only brought sorrow.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Sapphire glanced up at the raven before turning her attention back to Vale. "Father hasn't found a suitor for me yet," she told him. "I'm hoping by the time he finds one, we'll have sailed off to wherever the ship will take us."

"I would want nothing more," Vale replied, reaching to stroke her hair. "Just as much as I'd want nothing but to be the father of your children."

She erupted in giggles as she let go of him and somewhat spun with her hands clasping over her mouth. "Stop! That's too soon."

"Well, we've already decided we wanted to elope. Why not bring that up?"

"Because..." She cleared her throat and batted a few eyelashes. "I want to spend some quality time without those pesky children running in."

"Oh, is that what it is?" he asked, taking a step forward. He looked at her with a surprised expressed as she jumped back and ran off. He simply ran and gave chase. "Get back here, Sapphire!"
The dragon becomes me...

Offline AbyssalDM

• View Profile
Amentis let out a caw at that young man’s assertion. Perhaps he should intervene, he thought. Instead he lunged from the branch, flying from his perch, wings outstretched. He followed closely, landing in a bush, he shifted back and kept a close eye on this interaction.

As the suitor chased after, he sent the raven familiar swooping down, blocking his path and cawing. The familiar was almost eerily white with crimson eyes. The caw of the white raven was a piercing thing. He shifted into the raven he had selected, hopping out next to the white raven. Black and blue, white and red stood side to side and blocked the path of the young man.

There was a a look of understanding in the black raven’s eyes, a human look. With a caw he spread his wings and took off, leaving his familiar to impede the poor fellow’s way as he flew ahead to wait in the hall for the young lady.

When she arrived in her room, he was waiting, seated on a stool. “Out and about for a bit of an excursion? You seem to have some interesting friends” he commented. His expression was far brighter than she had seen previously, as if something had sparked life in him.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
As Vale chased Sapphire around, he skidded to a halt when two ravens impeded his way. "Sapphire?" As the raven kept cawing at him and spread its wings at him, he tried to step to the side and huffed as the raven hopped in whatever direction he went. "Sapphire?"

Sapphire turned around and ran back to Vale with only the white raven between them. "Tonight, then?"

Vale nodded. "Tonight." He gifted her with a soft kiss before running off, leaving her standing in the clearing.

After she made it back, she had her back turned to Amentis and let out a surprised yelp when he spoke. "What are you- How did-" Hiding her face in her hands, she shook her head and sat on her head. Once she removed her hands, she gave him a perplexed expression. "You seem... happier."
The dragon becomes me...

Offline AbyssalDM

• View Profile
He gave her a surprisingly warm smile, like a good friend would give. Gray eyes sparkled in the dim light with understanding. “I think I understand now...” When he responded, he did so cryptically. “When you left in a hurry I must admit you made me a very curious arcanist. Your friend, the shaggy fellow you ran off to meet. Who is he to you?”

The question was straight and without inflection, as if studying the young lady  like a book. His interest was mutual, though mostly rooted in experience. There was a silence, as if the wind itself would speak from the open window. “I saw, and heard, everything. I promise not to tell your father, but I would like to offer an ear to bend should you need it.”

When she mentioned his cheerfulness he smiled wider. “Yes, I suppose I am. You and that boy reminded me of my younger years, before my days as an adventurer and even an arcanist.”

He cleared his throat. “I know it may be hard to believe, but I was in love once myself. I even had a wife.” He seemed wistful, reminiscing as old men are apt to do.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Sapphire shifted on the bed and gave him a curious look when he gave her a warm smile. "He... Well-" She took a deep breath. "Vale is... I'm sure he's the love of my life. We want to be together so much that it hurts sometimes. But Father would never allow it."

She shook her head again. "If Father found out, he'd make sure I never set foot outside the castle again and he'd marry me off to the first suitor that comes through."

Her cheeks reddened when he told her that he heard and saw everything. After he told her that he had a wife, she shifted forward a little. "What happened to her?" Surely, something must of happened, though nothing too terrible, she hoped.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline AbyssalDM

• View Profile
His arms crossed. "Are you sure you want the answer to that?" The expression on his face changed like the seasons as he spoke. One minute there was the clement smile of a friend, then there was the deep sorrow of a man with many centuries of experience. "It is a long tale, rife with sorrow and tragedy, but also freedom, heroism, laughter, and kindness." He smiled again, the ever shifting expression on his face hard to read.

He looked down, shadow overtaking him. "The memories of my long life, though faded with time, still remain, and as long as I remember her, she shall live in my heart.  When I die, inevitably, I will return to her." There was a twinge of a longing. The stages of grieving had been hard on him and as if all at once the lines of age appeared on his face, marking him like the croplands west of Solus.

"Sit, and I shall tell the only tale that matters to me... Mine."

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
While she couldn't tell what expression he was supposed to have, Sapphire settled herself on the bed and looked at him. "I'm sure you miss her greatly," she told him. She figured she had been gone long before anyone in her family was born.

Resting her chin on her hands, she waited for him to begin... and braced herself for what she knew would be a sad tale.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline AbyssalDM

• View Profile
He planted his feet, and a silence fell over him. The silence seemed to fragment into stillness and then further into something imperceptible unless one spent hours observing him. The third layer of silence was his. It was the cut-flower silence of a man waiting to die.

“My father always said to ‘begin at the beginning’ and if I am to do this story justice I am sure I must.” He cleared his throat. “I was born to a lower class family in the city of Bedlam across the sea. My father was a tinker and my mother a baker. Life was simple for many years until my wandering hand found the purse of entirely the wrong person. I had taken to petty thievery in my youth. The boundless energy having no outlet other than work and no friends to speak of, I found myself frozen, locked in place by the iron grip of a masterful man.”

“I wish I could say it was a pleasant experience, but his idea of penitence was to whisk me away to a separate complex that even the five regents of Eyrune didn’t know about. It was there he taught me, drilling me from sun up to sundown in all the necessary modes and methods of diplomatic manipulation. Through this came my education. I learned to write, but more importantly, I learned to read.” He paused. “I worked many years as a spy. I sabotaged many political events and for the highest bidder, could even be convinced to slip a silent poison into a wine goblet. Everything turned when I met her. I was just a young man at one hundred and seventy when she met me, but her appearance could not have been more radiant than the full moon on a tranquil bay. Her hair was raven black and she had deep green eyes like sage. Her face was tanned, like many in Eyrune, and she held herself with such grace and genteelness that I could not help but pursue such beauty.”

“For years, between missions, we courted. Letters and poems were out preferred methods of sharing notes we wanted no one else to know. We had our own code, on which she picked up astonishingly fast. It was the first time I ever thought I had met my match. Even among elves, few in my age range could match my prodigious curiosity and intelligence. This raven-haired human had captured me in ways that many would consider spellbinding.”

“It wasn’t to last, though. I botched a mission a few years after we had been wed. It was to be my last job as a spy before I took up the noble task of bookbinding. In the city of Cada Ves, I was imprisoned, and tortured for information. When they realized they could not break me, they found my wife.” His voice cracked and sorrow wore heavy on his face. A single, solitary tear dropped between his feet, as if a drop of morning dew. “The brought her in, and killed her in front of me. At that moment, in my rage, I pledged myself to HER. My lady, in that moment, granted me power, and I made sure none in that room survived. Sadly, I was too late to save her. My sweetest Imriel lay dead and there was nothing I could do but bury her body.” More tears fell, the pain was heavy on him, though numbed by time. “There you have it. No happy ending, no pauper running off with the noble’s daughter. Love is pain, though it breathes life into an otherwise cold world.” He stood and walked to the door.

“Do not lose your sense of what is right, Sapphire. Do not follow my path.”

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Sapphire sat in silence as Amentis began. From his humble beginnings to his training, she remained in place, tilting her head every now and then. Though when he started about how he met his wife, she nearly swooned. Everything about their courtship sounded so perfect. Almost like how her courtship with Vale was.

Before long, the goofy smile on her face began to vanish as a frown took over her features and her deep blue eyes blinked tears away. After he was finished, she mustered enough courage to move herself to him and give him a small hug. "I'm so sorry," she finally said. She couldn't begin to think of what it felt like to have someone so dear cut down in front of their loved one. "W-What do you mean don't follow your path? Are you saying I shouldn't keep seeing Vale?"
The dragon becomes me...

Offline AbyssalDM

• View Profile
He sighed, standing at the door when she hughed him from behind. “That is not what I am saying.” He slowly pulled away from her and wiped her tears away. “Do not let my sorrow become yours. You are young still, and prone to falling in love quick. The hottest flames die the fastest, and often have miserable ends that leave all involved heart-broken. I don’t want you to feel the same way.”

It was a strange sentiment, to be sure. “My mother used to tell me when I was young ‘A’leathil enviril vas al’enridah.’ Do not pack the cart before you buy a horse. Literally, ‘A ship without a crew’.” He knelt a bit to look her in the eyes with his wizened gaze. “take it slow, you have time to get to know the man you think you love. In fact, I encourage the love, but not with haste.” He tousled her hair a bit. “Good night, dear Sapphire. I retire. Come to my office should you have need of me. It will be empty, knock thrice on the mahogany desk, and I shall answer.”

With that, he walked off. He had a strange feeling in his gut that he hadn’t felt in nigh two hundred years. It gave him pause. As he stepped out, a servant was watching, and doubtless heard at least the tail end of the conversation. Without a word, he held a slender and pale finger to his pursed lips, urging secrecy, and then hurried away, almost as if carried by wind.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
As he wiped her tears away, Sapphire sighed as she sniffled. She only nodded, before she tried to add another thing.

"Good night," she whispered after he walked through the doorway. Sitting on her bed, she eventually lied on her back and stared at the ceiling, pondering over what he said. Vale seemed to be immensely in love with her, and they've known each other since childhood. A few hours went by before she finally brought herself back up. Rubbing her eyes, she exited her room and walked down the hall to Amentis' office.

She knocked on the mahogany desk thrice.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline AbyssalDM

• View Profile
Not even a half second after her knock, an ethereal door appeared on the only bare wall in the office, shimmering. The door swung inward, and there stood Amentis, draped in fine silk robes of a deep royal blue. “Ah?”

He was about to say something, and then he saw thise telltale eyes. “Couldn’t sleep? Is there something I can do to help?”

His voice was steady, and though his eyes were tired he seemed ready to help. “If you want you can step in, I have plenty of seating here.” He gestured behind him to the open hearth with welcomingly plush chairs.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Sapphire jumped slightly at the ethereal door swung open. She stood in silence for a moment before she walked to him. "I-" Eyeing the plush chairs, she immediately sat down and curled herself up in it. "I have a lot on my mind," she admitted. "I can't stop thinking about what you said and Vale... I don't know."

She sighed to herself, running a hand through her hair as she stared at the hearth. "I don't want anything to happen to my love for Vale, but what if it doesn't work out? He keeps telling me that he just wants to run away and elope and have a family with me. I fear that he'll just stop coming one day." Her eyes locked with his. "Have you ever had that feeling, Amentis? Like that feeling that someone you love will just leave you even after they've profusely professed their love?"
The dragon becomes me...