Visionary Tales
If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

To Frame a detective (Pendragon)

Offline PendragonXeno94

• The Hoarder of Notebooks
    • View Profile
"That's it, come on." Lapis continued giving him the liquid until his body began to revert back to normal and he could finish it on his own. As he took slow, deep breaths, she patted his back as he remarked that he hadn't had a fit that bad in a few years. She even wiped the sweat away with her scarf.

"Don't scare us like that again," she said sternly. Really, his fits scared her enough as they were. But this was the worst she had seen him get. Though... his claws were fairly long just now. But surely, there as no way he could be connected to anything...

With that, she helped him up and sighed.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
A few more large gulps of the substance cleared the bottle out, pulling it away he heaved in more air. The warmth stayed in his chest and guts, the heat radiating through the rest of him. His heart was beating at a much slower rate, one effect the elixer had on him that ensured the success of the substance.

"My...apologizes. I felt fine prior to collapsing.." Laurence apologized as he handed the bottle to Mrs. Wicky; whom quietly took the red glass item from him.

"Dear, you were already about to collapse. How is that fine?" Mrs. Wicky asked as she watched Lapis help him up.

"Fine in the sense of, I didn't feel like a fit was coming. It just came out of nowhere.."

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Lapis sighed. "Laurence, I wish you would take better care of yourself. Working yiurself to death isn't helping with your condition."

She turned to Mrs. Wicky. "I'm right, aren't I? Him not getting enough rest is taking a toll on him?"
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
“I do take care of myself.” Laurence remarked.

“Well that’ll certainly affect anyone dearie, but yes Lapis, you have a point.” Mrs. Wicky replies giving a smile.

A sigh left Laurence as he stood there.

“I’m going to bed.” He grumbled out.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
"Good. And don't come out until you feel well rested." Lapis sighed as she went back to the study to look over the paper again. The family had to be hiding something. Someone with a curse, or something else entirely. She looked over the pieces of glass found at the crime scene and began to place them under a microscope. There seemed to be specks of dirt that didn't match where they were found.

After a few moments, she pushed her chair back and sighed to herself, burying her face in her hands.

This was going to be a long day...
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
Well rested huh? Well that meant the rest of the day in all honesty. Granted, it's not like he was going to be able to wake up any sooner than that. Not even hunger stirred him from his sleep. Lapis would spend the rest of the day with Mrs. Wicky for company, while Laurence stayed unconscious in his quarters.

The following morning though, he rose from bed at his usual hour. He still looked drained but he was at least a little more lively and not looking like he was on the verge of passing out. A sigh left him as he took a seat in his chair in the study, sinking into the cushion as he felt at ease in it. Some might remark about how it was his favorite spot in the entire apartment. A glance out the window revealed it to be foggy..dreary as ever. The night sky felt like it was still out despite it being eight am, the heavy fog preventing any daylight through.

"Figures.." he grumbled.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
The rest of the day dragged on as Lapis tried to wrap her brain around everything, getting absolutely nowhere as the one that liked to be a monstrous Sherlock was passed out. She even turned to Mrs. Wicky for help before it proved to be fruitless. Instead of leaving to go back to her apartment, she ended up falling asleep on the couch.

Not long after Laurence was up and about, she slipped off the couch and grabbed some tea before returning to the study. She smiled when she saw him sitting in his favorite spot. "I see someone is a little more refreshed," she remarked. "I could really use your help. All I could find was that some of the fragments from the crime scene may have been placed there from somewhere else. Other than that, I don't know."

Unlike the others on the force, she didn't mind admitting to Laurence when she couldn't figure something out, mostly because he didn't treat her like an idiot.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"A little, I'm surprised you're here so early." Laurence admitted. "Take a seat my dear, and let us compare our notes and findings. You mentioned that some pieces looked to be from elsewhere, what do these different pieces look like?"

A simple question. The crimescene was on a cobble street with a stone building, many things could stand out. The grass and dirt out in the country or a specific seed pod of a plant that only grew in some areas, or a type of material that just wasn't near there. Many possibilities, many ways this could go.

"As for mine last night, I learned that our victim was in contact with the Montgomery family, which is why there was that piece of paper. Granted this is even stranger as the victim isn't anyone important, they don't work for the Montgomery family, they aren't rich, and they haven't done anything influencial with their life." Laurence continued. "I wasn't able to get a good look at the paper as the seal had only been partially broken when I found it."

And by the point he found it, the good ol hardiest we’re back once more. Man was it hard to get the things he wanted done to be done. Oh well. Reaching for the scroll, he picked it up carefully and inspected it once more. The seal was a little more cracked and broken but from his current perspective, he couldn’t see anything suspicious about it. Wax seals were horrendously outdated, they would break so easily.

So why the fancy treatment for a pair of nobodies? Hm. Laurence raised a brow as he sat there, pondering the possibilities. Though this was causing him to space out as his focus was solely on one thing now.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 04:31:57 AM by readlliea »

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Lapis sighed. "Actually, I never left last night. I stayed up fairly late and ended up falling asleep on the couch. I know you don't mind, though." Really, how he was able to survive on so little sleep and still be able to move about?

"Well, I'm currently trying to identify where the dirt and whatnot would come from. So far, not much has come close to being a match. But the samples are here." She gestured to the microscope she had the dirt under as she left it there from last night.

The seal was, as she could see, broken. She couldn't understand why people still used wax seals in this day and age. They would become so brittle and break so easily.

"Perhaps the victims were connected to the family via a blood debt. Shady practices, perhaps."
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"Ah." Laurence replied with a nod. "I don't mind you staying over this is true. Though I think a bed would best suit you and your sleeping needs."

While true he usually ran on little sleep, his body did operate differently. His sleep needs weren't as much as a humans but he still needed to get a good level of sleep himself. Even more so after a fit, that's usually why he would crash so hard and long after one, his body just couldn't really handle a fit even on his 'normal' level of sleep. Though he would admit, being in a human form did make cause him to gain some more of the needed human sleeping amount. Strange how that works.

"We'll take a look in a moment." Laurence assured as he easily broke the rest of the seal and proceed to unroll the paper. "This is true, blood debts still exisit now an days and probably always will. You can never know what people are willing to do to get what they want. And with supernaturals within the world and other beasts, blood debts are far more likely to live longer than humanity can think."

It was a bit morbid no? But Laurence never sugar coated how dangerous his side of the world could be, the supernatural. While there were good supernaturals, there were many bad ones that still fell into the categories that humans viewed them as. Some werewolves were still too bloodthirsty, slaughtering innocent people, some vampires didn't care about the lives they ruined by turning whoever they wanted or draining people dry to leave husks behind; sometimes making the low their ghoul vampire but those poor souls were hard to save. The supernatural side of things was always filled with turmoil and chaos, almost as if another explosion was just around the corner. Many were trying to change their ways and their species reputation, yet just like with humans, it only took one asshole or legit monster to ruin any progress made. That's why this case was already so sensitive.

Too many things pointed at a supernatural involvement. As if to add onto this suspicion, the uncurled paper glowed. The text was alight with a white glow, holding a pale blue tint to it. The words rose off the page before they could be read, swirling into the air above the piece of parchment and combining into a single bright orb that soon morphed into the Montgomery family symbol.

"This message has already been delivered and read, unauthorized reading at this time." A almost computerized voice would drum out, tilting his head, Laurence couldn't help but smile.

"Fascinating. They're combining their old ways with modern tech and even magic!" Laurence remarked. "However, this posses a problem.."

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Lapis jumped as the scroll seemed to speak. "What sorcery is this?" she snapped before she saw Laurence marvel over how they combined old magic with modern tech.

"What kind of problem?"

Between the scroll glowing and having it combined with other things, she shook her head. All she wanted was to identify the particles that seemed to be left at the crime scene. And now Laurence was distracted by the scroll. "Well, how would we get access to the contents of the scroll? I don't think they'll just give access if we asked."
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
Reaching with his hands, he rolled the scroll once more and closed it. The glowing blue light faded and all seemed to return to normal. It looked to be a normal old scroll with a now fully broken seal. Letting it rest on the desk, he put his hands together.

"Well for one, we can't read it. And two, we don't know how this work. This thing could be traceable or a notice of it being open could be made. We just don't know anything about it." Laurence answered simply, giving a small sigh. "However, I think a few more magically inclined friends could help. OOOR we try to enlist young Officer Goldstone's aid while trying to make sure our angered inspector friend doesn't find out?"

Those were the only two options he could see with the scroll.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
At the mention of not being able to read it, she sighed. "Great... We just opened a scroll that could notify someone that it had been opened. What could possibly go wrong?"

Shaking her head, she eyed the scroll for a moment before hearing what Laurence was considering. "Well, if we could discreetly get Goldstone out here to see if he can help, that might work. But if the inspector finds out, he might have our heads."

All possible outcomes didn't seem that great, either.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"Not the best statement to say, that's just inviting something to go arwy." Laurence remarked. "Now, i'm sure you can get to Goldstone with less suspicion than I can. So I trust you can find the young lad at his normal hangouts or patrol areas even. If you need any reminders, my little blue book of yardies patrol routes should help. Top shelf left hand side."

As he mentioned the books location, he gestured to the shelf it was on. With that said, he rose to his feet and walked over to the microscopes that held the elusive dirt specimens within them. Taking a look, he tilted his head a few times to get a better view of them. Though he looked at each sample before he would straighten himself up. A look of deep pondering on his face before he walked to his shelves. A thin finger rested against a spine of a book before dragging to the next, low inaudiable muttering leaving him as he did so; perhaps he was merely saying the names of the books he passed by?

He'd swiftly pluck a book of the shelf and flipped it open, searching it's contents before closing it roughly. Once more he searched his shelves, repeating this process a few more times before he paused with two books open.

"Interesting...though confusing.." Laurence remarked, taking a moment longer to relook at the specimens. "It seems..to be a mixture of country soil and the mud from the river banks yet...there's something else in it that makes it just..not those two things."

Setting the books down on a table, he arched a brow as he pondered what that component was. Hm...

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
"Yes, yes. I know where he goes and where his patrol is. It won't be a problem finding him." She wasn't very keen on heading out at the moment, but she hoped that Goldstone wouldn't say anything if she brought him out here to help with their case.

As Laurence looked over the dirt she found, she moved to sit in the chair and began to examine the seal on the scroll once more. As he announced what he thought the dirt could be, she pursed her lips. "Well... that narrows it down. Are you suggesting we go to specific areas and get dirt to compare our sample next?"

If Laurence knew one thing, she hated having to dig up anything.
The dragon becomes me...