Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

To Frame a detective (Pendragon)

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
Lately the cold and sleek look of the city was draining, hard to look at. He was yearning for the countryside again...hell, the dense forest on the border of the countryside was where his mind would pull itself toward when he didn't have a distraction. The smells of the trees and floral, the long blades of grass that caught the morning dew with care. Hearing the wind whistle around him, taunting him with the primal desires that would rush through him. The scent of pine and willow, earthy yet almost hypnotizing.

Laurence sat there at his chair, the man was pressed firmly into his chair. Mix matched eyes of yellow and brown were focusing their combined gaze out the window. A tea cup resting in their hand, long fingers stretched around the cup in the attempt to support it tenderly. His short creamish hair looked slightly ruffled but for the most part, it wasn't too wild looking. With his spare hand, he drummed lightly on the arm rest of his chair. Almost as if attempting to stir up the smell of cigars to get his nose to focus on a real smell, rather than the conjured up ones from his imagination. Sadly the smell of tea had long faded from the room and while he wasn't the one who smoked, he had many clients who did and some of the pieces were here prior to him getting this place; hence they already had the cigar smell imprinted upon them.

Currently he wore a pair of brown pants and a smoking jacket that was auburn with goldish trim  was all he was wearing. His slippers clung to his feet, almost as if they were put on haphazardly or without care. Which was the opposite of how he wore them..in fact...there were a few off things. His jacket was wrinkled, ruffled up, and slightly opened up closer at the top. Normally he would have it smoothed out and closed all the way. The way he sat wasn't typical either. He was shoved against the chair enough to make it look like the natural cushion of it was trying to swallow him whole.

A concern look was given from the doorway was the house lady looked to the partner and friend of Mr. Laurence. She didn't know what to do and she hadn't seen the detective like this in a good long while. Often even one of these signs was a indicator of something pressing on their mind. Of course, the friend of the man had been brought here due to invitation that she hadn't sent. No doubt the detective had requested their presence so early in the morning...the sun wasn't even up yet.

“I swear he's been sitting there since midnight. I haven't seen him sleep. The only reason I know he was awake was due to him either drumming his fingers or I'd catch him moving his wrist with the teacup in hand.” Mrs. Wicky whispered in a nervous tone. “Must be important if he's been awake that long and asked for you to come here so early.”

She smoothed out her dress as she took a deep breathe. Gesturing for the partner to head on in.

“Fresh tea will be ready soon as will breakfast. I'll be back.” Mrs. Wicky said before she headed to another room.

Leaving the friend to stand there in front of a cracked open door that was fixated on the man who was still sitting there. Drumming their fingers and once in a while, adjusting their grip on the tea cup that was no doubt ice cold and hours old.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
As she managed to pull the hood over her head, Lapis walked down the steps to the entrance of her apartment building and let herself enjoy the night's waning hours. Her short, dark auburn hair was pulled back with a few large wavy strands delicately framing her pale face. Shaking her head at all the possible thoughts as to why he wanted her to come out before morning, she continued down the block before turning at the corner of the small drugstore that was squeezed between the Chinese restaurant and the little arcade that kept having a new owner every two or three years.

Her pencil skirt was free of wrinkles as was her blue blouse. With her thigh boots being the closest pair to her bed, she had to make due. Passing through several smaller shops and the occasional tattoo parlor, she made it to her friend's place and knocked on the door.

Mrs. Wicky had shown her in and told her what had been going on. "That sounds like him," she said. Knowing Laurence, there was something on his mind and he couldn't wait until morning to tell her what was going on.

Opening the cracked door, she calmly strolled in and sat on his desk. "Missed me that much?" she teased, a small smirk breaking her ruby lips.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
IT took a moment or so for him to respond, his grip tightening on the porcelain cup. The delicate item made a faint sound, protesting the increased grip upon it's poor frame. In which he did lessen his grip before he allowed those mixmatched eyes of his to tear themselves away from the window and upon his companion. Lapis...a good woman. Frankly he never expected to work with one as much as he had but she was irreplaceable. He knew that much for certain. The cup was placed onto the desk, making a slight sound as he wasn't as gentle with it as he normally was.

"There is much to discuss." Laurence said in a voice that indicated something was amiss.

He gestured with a hand for her to take a seat in a chair rather than on his desk. If she did so or not, he wouldn't say another word on it. Merely he would continue on once he knew that he had her focus again. What she would notice however was the clear lack of sleep. Now it wasn't uncommon for him to not sleep as long as he should but....there was something about the way the bags under his eyes looked darker than they should've if this was just a single night of missed sleep.

"You've heard about the recent murders yes? The ones that are filling the papers and channels about with all sort of gruesome things?" he asked.

Ah yes, the murder count was up to seven now. A truly unlucky number and frankly, he had a feeling it wouldn't end there. Deep in his chest there was that feeling of a whirlpool growing. The chaos that would quickly grow was making his heart beat slightly faster. Anticipating the flood of madness that would overtake the populace, waiting for the police to exhaust their resources, and give in to a new mass murder of horrendous proportions. And yet...he could already feel something else stirring inside of him. A part of him wanting that chaos in order to have a feast of it's own. The thoughts were shoved to the back of his mind best he could as he took a breathe, his shoulders rising as he did before it all returned to it's still position he had earlier.

"The inspector is most likely going to involve us today however, that's not why I'm bringing this up." Laurence added. "I feel....I am getting worse."

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
The tone of Laurence's voice made Lapis give him a look of concern as she moved into the seat he gestured at.

"Yeah," she said. "Where each one is more gruesome than the previous. How the latest victim was killed was..." She shook her head. "No one should go like that."

She took a moment to look his face and see that the bags under his eyes were darker than usual. Normally, she would dismiss it as he sometimes skipped sleep for a few nights. But the murders couldn't be why he had stayed up all night. When he told her why she was there, she grimaced slightly.

"Oh." She placed a hand on his arm. "I'm sure there's a way to suppress it." Giving him an encouraging smile, two sharp canine teeth protruded out of her mouth as she patted his arm. "There has to be, right?"
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
She always did look at more positive things. A tricky thing to do in this era with everything that could wrong. However the means of encouragement that there was a way to keep a side of himself in check was..uncertain. He found his mind mulling it over, disbelieving her words yet wanting to believe them. He wanted to have father that she was right. For years now he put up with it,for many years he had managed to survive with it. Yet..it felt like it was getting stronger as of late..the way his mind drifted back to the forest and it's smells was proof of it in his mind.

"The forest calls me, singing it's inaudible song with memories of it's fragrance and the city looks so.." Laurence had started before he caught himself off.

His mix matched eyes closing as he took a deep breathe, once through his nose and the other through his mouth. The idea was to try and get a different smell in but he just couldn't pick up on anything else. The pat registered and he went to place a hand on her's  to show he appreciated the gesture. However the man froze as he stared at his hand. It looked thinner and as it had a short spasm with claws noticeable for only a moment, he straightened his hand out as he made it return to normal. It might've looked like that took so little effort but Lapis might notice how his shoulders sagged a little and the look of being tired increased  before he seemed to brush it away.

"I need you to help make sure nothing happens." Laurence continued, letting his hand rest on the desk away from Lapis. "My normal methods work to a degree but just to be safe, I'd rather have someone be watching just in case I don't notice something..happening."

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Lapis only noticed the hand changing once Laurence went to place his hand on top of hers. As he straightened it, she sighed to herself. She that he was so afraid of losing himself and wanted her to keep an eye on him. "Isn't that all I do?" she teased, shifting in her seat and crossing her legs.

It was a little concerning that he was hearing the forest call to him, but his methods of keeping himself in check had worked thus far. Nodding slightly, she rested her chin on her hand and sighed once more. "You know I've always got your back."

As she slouched, she glanced over at Laurence's hand. "You should get some sleep," she said. "Or... as much as you can before the inspector call us in."
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
A humored smile came to his face as he gave a small chuckle. That was one of the common things she did do, keep an eye on him. Though she had yet to see the full power he held deep inside of him. There was a time she saw him on a bad day, struggling with it and becoming more...well more of it. Still he pushed those thoughts away. Feeling the pull  a bit stronger now that he was recalling moments where his grip faulted in the past.

"I know, I merely wish to warn you of a possible storm." Laurence admitted. "Ah sleep, such a vital thing yet elusive when it's needed. Sadly all it's been doing is making the call louder like a gong sounding off in my head. Causing the sound to echo and rattle me to my core..."

The man paused before giving a slow shake of his head. No. He would sleep later. When perhaps working on something new would drain him and his other side enough for sleep to be a peaceful endeavor. He could only hope in truth.

"Besides, the good man will be here in fifteen minutes. Long enough for us to enjoy a calming chat and some breakfest before we are pestered." Laurence added in.

As if on cue, Mrs. Wicky opened the door. Carrying a tray with toast, eggs, and even a few other items that were more along the specifics for certain supernaturals. Laurence could eat almost anything and while he did try to avoid foods that would trigger his other side, he found a recipe that he requested for Mrs. Wicky to try making him. There were some things...he still missed eating from before this whole mess began.

"Here you two are. Are you sure you want this in the morning though, Mr. Laurence? It's a bit early for a bigger piece of meat that isn't bacon or sausage."

The small plate she held seemed to have something along the lines of a type of meat, though it was hard to tell what it was due to the sauce that it sat within the center of and the small bits of green and grey herbs that decorated the cooked flesh.

"I am sure Mrs. Wicky, it's a small portion that shouldn't cause trouble if the recipe doesn't work. You did remember it my dear?" Laurence replied.

"Of course! IT's pinned my precises of the day board." Mrs. Wicky assured, with a nod she set it down and left the room.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
"How nice of him," Lapis replied dryly. "But breakfast does sound good."

No sooner had she said that, Mrs. Wicky had brought them some food and she reached for some eggs.

"So... what's this recipe that Mrs. Wicky makes for you?" she asked as she began to eat.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"Tis a new one I found that should make eating some things...easier for me." Laurence started. "It's mainly drowned in various seasonings but what it's meant to do is restrain the magic that normally resides in me. When two things mix such as me eating certain foods and what lurks in me, they tend to have a negative reaction. Sure I could eat normal chicken but that causes my other tendencies to gain a stronger hold, craving more and growing harder to control."

Laurence would go on to list the various herbs and new seasons that were put on it, the sauce that was around it playing a key role in it as well. All in all, it would sound fine and he would add in that with this small of an amount, it shouldn't do too much to him if the recipe didn't work. Hence why he had other things to eat as well, to make up for this little experiment. Oh how he wished it was easier to eat his meals...not having to worry about throwing himself into a frenzy cause of one particular item.

"How has the private life been going? No trouble I hope?" Laurence asked as he cut another piece off the specially prepared bird.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
As Laurence explained what was in his meal, Lapis could only nod as she knew that it was only what was best for him. She was thankful she hadn't seen him at his worst when he lost control, and she hoped that it would stay that way.

"Oh, it's fine," she said. "I just broke up with Jamie. That jerk thought me having one human parent was bad enough to where he called me an abomination. I didn't choose my parents, and I don't see why the blame should be on me." She only shrugged and continued to eat her eggs. "But that gives me an idea of what I'm not looking for in a guy. Jamie was little self-centered, anyway."

She was interested to hear what Laurence thought of him. Her parents were never overly thrilled that she was dating someone who was considered hoity toity.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
Laurence listened patiently, letting the words reach his ears and to be heard in their entirety. It was a shame that the potential romance hadn't worked. Now he normally didn't dive into that romance side of things in life. IT had never worked out for him before, why would it now? Still hearing how someone was casting her aside due to one half half of her be one thing, well..it irked him.

"A unworthy partner." Laurence replied simply as he returned to his food, not wishing to rile himself up.

The remaninder of the meal was spent with more pleasent things and as soon as they were done, Laurence glanced out his window. A smile appearing on his face before he chuckled. Right on time it seemed, if not a second early. Mrs. Wicky would end up opening the door to a young police officer, whose classic blue uniform had never changed over the ages in it's look. Although all police officers had a type of armor like quality to their clothes, sure they looked like fabric but the cloth could stop most bullets and blades not of the technologically advance kind. Removing their helmet, it revealed a young face with some peach fuzz at the ends of their sharp side burns, their hair a bit messy due to the helmet creating some static electricity to make it stand on end.

"Is he in?" The young man asked, although their words were less than desired, there was a humbled, if not nervous tone to their words.

"He's up in his study with his partner in work as usual." Mrs. Wicky said as she took the helmet and let it rest on a hanger.

Of course, the young policeman would give her a quick thanks and make his way up the stairs. Even before he reached to knock, he'd hear Laurence grant permission to enter. He did so without a fuss though Laurence was a tad surprised.

"Goldstone? I must admit, I was expect your superior, Inspector Crown. You look nervous lad, come sit. Take a few moments to gather yourself." Laurence urged kindly.

"I..I would accept the seat and moment to relax, Mr. Laurence. But I'm not here during my break, I'm still on the clock, this is urgent though!" Goldstone spoke, his humbled voice was shaky like a record attempting to skip but not quite there yet. "The murders, they're out of hand! Inspector Crown and even the Chief are having trouble , they won't seek outside aid due to how dangerous this is. HUmans and supernatural are dying all over, and they're getting more brutual. I was just there, I couldn't....I.."

"Calm Goldstone, calm. You are going to lose whatever remains of your morning coffee in your stomach, I can tell you already lost your breakfest." Laurence stood and set a hand on the young officer's shoulder and guided them to a seat. "If anyone from your department comes here, I'll deal with them. Right now you are in no state to go recounting what you've seen. My dear Lapis, please fetch some medicine to help our guest with his nerves, it'll also help his stomach as well."

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Instead of telling him that her dating life was put on hold, she focused on telling him about how her parents had been and how they had just left to go to Barcelona for their anniversary. Turning to see the young officer, she looked him over once before she quickly went to get him medicine.

"Here," she said after returning and handing it over to him.

"Thanks," the young man said as he took it.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
Taking the medicine and given a few minutes. Goldstone would start to explain what had happened. Apparently a murder happened on the east side this time, the victims were torn apart and quite literally scattered all the place. There was the fact that a message was written in blood and judging by how large the print was and the state of a leg and torsoe on one victim...the killer used them as a paintbrush to write their blood message which read in a old language:

'Time to change, time for ending.'

Thankfully Laurence knew the old language well enough to do a translation but with that cryptic and foreboding of a message, well...it gave little comfort and not much insight. Goldstone would go on to explain that none of the other crime scenes had a message written and it felt directed to an audience due to how large the writing of it was. The scene had signs of a fight under all the blood, with claw marks in the pavement and even posters torn; as well as painted on. Injuries on the victims suggested a attempt of a fight was given. Yet with how big the killer had to be in order to use parts of them to write with? It felt odd.

"The incident could've started with our murderer in a more human form, many supernatural are capable of changing their height and size. It's a must to have a human form." Laurence explained to Goldstone, in which the young man nodded.

Carrying on, the young officer added in how angry Inspector Crown was. How bitter and enraged they were, Goldstone had a feeling that he might've known the victims given how there was a look of grief on his face before the anger quickly boiled over it. And that's when the order to not involve non-law enforcement members into the case. Laurence sat in quite contemplation, having had a cup of tea brought for Goldstone by this point. The officer barely sipped at it, no doubt the medicine was only just now kicking in.

"I....I couldn't listen to that order Sir....this... this is out of hand. We don't have any clues other than a...a.." goldstone stammered.

"Other than a possible supernatural member of society. Yes, what little you have is hinting at it but it's unwise to say that is the true answer." Laurence finished the sentence.

"Indeed...if the press starts running this like the cops are only looking at supernatural, it'll cause a uproar! And the last time we had a civil dispute between human and supernatural it...well...you know."

"It ended in the most gruesome bloodbath our city has seen in the current century...hm.." Laurence paused for a few moments before glancing to Lapis. "My dear, what do you think on this?"

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Shaking her head at what she heard, Lapis slouched in her seat some before she noticed the look on Goldstone's face. Something about his expression told her that he was connected to victims in some way, thought she was sure by the way he seemd to have reacted to how brutal their deaths were that... well, it was obvious, anyway.

She simply chose not to add her commentary about the uproar that had occurred in recent years. Her parents were concerned whenever she had gone out during that time, though they were more relaxed once the situation was under control.

"Hm." She folder her hands together and tilted her head while pursing her lips. "It could always be someone who is half supernatural," she said. "Although a shape shifter definitely sounds about right. I know of a few who are capable of it."
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"That is possible as well. I've observed several cases where hybrids of the supernatural and humans have turned out very strong and some that have surprased the norm of their supernatural parent." Laurence agreed with a nod. "We'll start looking into this Goldstone but don't mention this conversation to your superiors. If Inspector Crown knew the recent victims then his judgement will be clouded to a degree. If he asks any questions that involve me, I'll take care of it."

Goldstone gave a small nod. Although he wasn't feeling very relaxed, his heart was still pounding and his stomach would twist now an then. Taking a deep breathe, he exhaled.

"Yes sir." Goldstone answered.

"Good lad, now write down the location where the recent murder was for me and you head on back to headquarters. Just tell them you needed a few moments to collect yourself, surely they would understand." Laurence instructed gently.

Goldstone did as was requested, writing the exact address down before departing. Laurence watched the young officer leave the building and disappear into the street bellow his window.

"Well then dear Lapis, let us be on our way. But now that it's just the two of us, you may voice any thoughts you having in full." Laurence encouraged as he reached for his coat.