Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

To Frame a detective (Pendragon)

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"I'm not having more civillians die on my watch and I'm not having some private detectives who think they're bigshots, go snooping around and add to the death toll!!" Inspector Crown snapped at Lapis as he pointed a finger at the two. "You will leave!! Before I place you under arrest for contaminating a crime scene and preventing officers of the law from performing their duties!"

"Calm down Inspector Crown, we mean no disrespect and we don't wish to harm your investigation. We came to see if there was anything we could deduce by merely looking, we're still on the side of the holo-tape where non-officers stand." Laurence said in a calm voice.

Though the glare he got from the Inspector was a clear sign that the Inspector wasn't gonna buy that today.

"Leave! I won't warn you both again." Inspector Crown snarled, Laurence sighed as he shrugged sadly.

"As you wish, come on Lapis." Laurence said as he started to walk away.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• The Hoarder of Notebooks
    • View Profile
Following behind Laurence, Lapis shook her head as they left the crime scene.

"Shall we go ahead and go through the evidence when we get back?" she asked.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"We still have a few things to figure out. Such as who the victims are. We can't afford to wait till the news releases the names of the victims and since Inspector Crown is being rather... firm on his stance of not giving any information, we're out of luck there." Laurence said as they walked.

Though who could they go to?

"Drop off what you found at the house in the draw. Then head on off to find Officer Goldstone, perhaps he can give you some clues on who the victims were. I'll hunt around for a few things that I have in mind." Laurence suggested. "Sound good?"

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
"Ah, yes. I thought you'd say that." Lapis nodded and held the bags against her waist underneath her coat. "I'll take care of that while you do what you need to."

With that, she left for his home to put the bags away. After walking for so long, she quickly greeted Mrs. Wicky at the door and as she was going to Laurence's office, she kicked off her heels and rubbed her feet.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"Is everything going alright?" Mrs. Wicky asked as she brought a cup of tea to Lapis.

Normally the two of them returned at the same time unless something was amiss, and while she normally didn't worry. She was a bit concerned due to trying out that recipe at her employer's request. She didn't have to worry about Laurence but it was a more natural thing for her to do. The man was smart yes, but he did have the habit of getting himself into bad situations. Even more so when he seemed to act off when something was starting to affect him.

She fidgeted slightly as she waited for a answer, setting the teacup and saucer down onto the table near her. Though she ended up rotating the serving tray in her hands in a worried fasion.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
"Yes." LApis graciously took the cup of tea and sipped at it. "Laurence just needed to take care of some things, but he's alright."

As she began sorting through the evidence, she quietly hummed to herself before taking another sip of tea. "I'm sure he'll be back in no time at all, like he always does."
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
“Very well, I’ll go ahead and make him one of his usual snacks when you two are brainstorming.” Mrs. Wicky replies. “Is there anything you’d like dear?”

When she got her answer, Mrs. Wicky would head on out of the room to set to work. A rumble of thunder would start as the sky darkened, an unwanted storm was coming in. Ripping away evidence at Inspector Crown’s crime scene; no doubt adding to his fury. The rain didn’t come till ten minutes later and at this time, the warmth of the oven had started to seep into a small section of the house.

Ten more minutes, the rain poured with its own fury. It proceeded to slam against the roof with a chorus of thuds akin to people demanding entry. The lightning would race across the sky like a serpent. The overall mess of this storm just seemed to carry a foreboding theme.

An hour would pass....then another thirty minutes. Laurence hadn’t returned yet. The smell from the kitchen drifted to the study where Lapis was. A bread like smell, crisp with a hint of garlic butter. Truthfully they were special cookies that just had a interesting way of smelling but understanding their  uniqueness was hard. Mrs. Wicky has a hard time crafting them and she just called them Bread Chips; the recipe name on the card was the only thing worn by time.

The door would rattle open and Laurence stumbles in. Soaked to the bone and breathing heavily as he leaned against the door.

“Oh dear!” Mrs. Wicky nearly shrieked when she noticed him, quickly rushing over to him. “Oh you look terrible, you shouldn’t have gone out earlier. Come on, get those wet coat and boots off. Change your clothes as well.”

It was funny how motherly she seemed to the man. Reluctantly, Laurence undid his coat and removed his shoes. Pulling something from his coat as he headed toward the stairs that would lead him to the study as well as his own room.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Lapis sighed. "Just my usual, thank you."

She ignored the heavy downpour as she thumbed through the evidence while the hour ticked away. Before long, she heard the door open and she looked up. "Good lord, Laurence. Where have you been?" She shook her head at how soaked he was.

But she let out a chuckle when Mrs. Wicky turned motherly on him. "I'll be here when you get changed."
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"Hold this...." Laurence instructed as he shoved the item he took from his coat pocket toward Lapis's hands.

The item he had handed off to Lapis looked to be paper in origin, the flimsy material wrinkled and creased by the force Laurence had applied to it. A partially intact symbol was on it, it looked akin to a wax seal but was shiny holographic almost. It was also smooth with a cold touch. The seal was round in nature, within that circle was the start of a capital A but where the line in the middle that helped show it was a A was replaced by two darker circles. Soon enough it was easy to see this was upside down, rotating the item would show it was more of a bird's head due to how the point of the A was longer than it should be with two darker spots to show the nostril holes within a beak.

The symbol of the Montgomery family, they were rather well known but had long ago opted out of using traditional paper. After all with holo pads and various other electronic devices on hand in this age, paper was only used by those who were extremely poor....or were hiding something. Laurence hadn't made it far past the study doorway when he collapsed to the floor.

Everything hurt...there was far too much pressure against his chest. Laurence was breathing heavily before he started coughing, discolored spots on his hands were visible once more. Though they were starting to blend together causing the skin of his hands to have a dusty grey color to them. Blood trickled out of his mouth as he pulled himself to his knees, coughing as a hand grabbed at his chest. He needed to keep it together, he had to keep everything under control.

Even with the rain pouring as hard as it was, he could hear it. The forest, the way things were...it all flooded his ears as he choked on more blood. The heavy taste of metal in his mouth as he felt his body struggling to contain it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 05:06:40 AM by readlliea »

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Lapis took the the paper from him and looked at the seal on it. She recognized the symbol, and a puzzled expression took over her features. "I don't understand," she said. "Why would they use paper if they-"

She turned to see Laurence fall to the floor as blood trickled over his lips and pulled himself to his knees. "Laurence?" she called, rushing to him and placing a hand on his back. "Laurence, are you all right?" Getting no response, she rose to her feet and ran downstairs. "Mrs. Wicky! Mrs. Wicky! Come quickly!"

Whatever was going on with Laurence... was it his "issue" again?
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
Feeling a hand on his back, Laurence wheezed in air, trying to not choke on more blood. His voice was clogged at the moment, making speaking impossible. Lapis would feel the large amount of tension in his back but she removed her hand swiftly it seemed. The sound of her leaving made him try to reach for her but he was too slow. Having to use both hands to prop himself up as he felt a sharper pain in his back, as if something was sinking it’s claws into him and pulling.

“Dearie what’s wrong?” Mrs. Wicky asked, setting the tray down on the counter.

The old woman was still in the kitchen, a neat and organized space. The large dinning table was hardly used for people eating thier meals there. Laurence ate in his study and if too sick to get out of bed, then his meals were taken there.

A shaking hand slowly reached up and grabbed a hold of the railing. Pulling himself up as he panted, his breathing became more labored, every muscle was spasming in his body, causing him to shake and struggle to get his body to move the way he wanted it. More blood trickled out his mouth, being sprayed whenever he coughed. His splotched grayish hand gripped the wood railing harder, the wood creaked a little as the bones shifted. Pressing against the thin layer of skin with his labored breathing.

Then the worst sensation hit him, His chest tightened before the sick crunch left it, the feeling of those ribs pushing outward as the cracked further...he couldn’t handle it.

“Aaaaaaauuuuuuurhghhghhh!!” Laurence screamed with blood fueling in his throat, his attempt to get up failed as he crashed back down to the floor.

His mix matched eyes gaining a glow to them as he heaved in air while squirming on the floor.