Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

(M) The Sliding Tavern

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Leonie was getting excited and distracted.  There were too many new things and people to pay attention to, especially when the second man came in.  He was strange and beautiful, but there was beginning to be an excess of strange and beautiful in here.  Hard to pay all of it the attention it deserved. 

However, since he had gone to the trouble of introducing himself, she responded, "Um, hi.  I'm Leonie Farrow."  Because there was clearly magic here, it was safe to assume some of them had heard of Brakebills, so she added, "Physical Kid.  Fifth Year," and then  switched her attention back to the drop-dead gorgeous bartender.  "Oh, my God, really?  This place...goes to other worlds? Like  Middle-Earth?  Or Fillory?"

Since she no longer had her True Sight spell going, she was unable to see the next person who appeared in the Tavern.  In fact, only the angel Mars and the demon Red, plus anyone else with a magical ability to see into the Etheric Plane was able to see or hear him.

There was a column of sparkling light and the Angel Remiel, who is set over Those Who Rise, materialized in front of Mars.  Remiel was a proud, stern-looking, well-muscled angel with very dark skin, clad in glittering armor.  He had a sword at his side and another one -- Mars' own sword, to be exact -- in his hand.

Remiel was just about to address Mars when he suddenly noticed Red.  An expression of hostility and revulsion crossed his handsome face and he all but hissed at her, before looking back at Mars. 

"Brother," he said in a sad, yet commanding voice, "do not leave us.  It is not too late.  You can be forgiven.  You can come back to the Father, and to Michael's army.  Do not succumb to the world's blandishments.  Do not consort with the enemy," he said, with another hate-filled glare at Red.  "Return."  He offered Mars the sword, hilt-first.

Offline sailmars

• View Profile
It sure is awkward running into old co-workers. Especially when you didn't just burn bridges but also your key card that lets you through St. Peter's Pearly Gates. Mars had just sat down at the bar when he noticed an ice cold Lager in front of him He didn't recall it being there before he sat down and he didn't notice it being placed in front of him either.

He was about to take his first sip of beer when "Always Right" Remiel showed up. Remiel was one of those angels that no one liked because he always did was he was told and never questioned the Almighty or Michael. Really, Remiel even thought that platypuses were a good idea. Sure they're cute and all but seriously what was God thinking?

Mars knew the bartender was a demon but she also didn't treat him any differently than any other patron at the bar. He felt this would be a safe place for the time being. Safer than Heaven when they figure out he also stole The List with him when he left. The List was only readable when in the presence of a flaming sword.

And now his flaming sword in front of him.

Offline cirdanslongboat

• View Profile
"Oh my," said Longboat as he turned back to the young goth lady. "In spite of what seems to be a rather touching motivation, my experience tells me that someone who would teleport into a shifting space is always more trouble than they are worth. And I hope," he added as he headed her direction, "that you will not take excessive offense if I cower behind  your strategically placed table while these distinguished gentlemen conclude their touching reunion."

Offline Tikkeni

• View Profile
Sir Tikk stood suddenly at the interruption, took one look at the man with a sword in his hand and dived behind the bar and Red.

Offline sailmars

• View Profile
Mars knew he might only have one shot at getting his sword back. For all his rule-abiding, Remiel was actually a pretty strong fighter. If Remiel knew, what Mars was up to, he would have not spoken any words before cutting Mars in half.

Mars was able to flounder out, "Well old pal… nice to see you again too. Can you remind me again what is rule 3,142 in the Angel's handbook?"

Remiel, taken aback by the blunt question, handed Mars his flaming sword so he could reach into his back pocket to retrieve his Angel's Handbook, and turn to the appropriate page.

Remiel read out loud, "Angels shall not frighten cats because they could summon….."

And then he was gone.

Offline brucedabold

• View Profile
The moment the archangel arrived Red started heating up. Her skin grew dark and her eyes turned red.

“You are not welcome here,” she stated. She knew the tavern was about to slide, and as an astral being, he wasn’t really considered ‘here’ in a magical-anchoring sense. Once the slide occurred he’d be left behind. Still, she hated it when beings popped into her tavern. It just wasn’t proper.

And then sure enough, the slide happened, and he was gone. Red sighed with relief. She seriously doubted she could have gone toe-to-toe with such a powerful angel. Plus she could have inadvertently burned down the whole freaking tavern.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 08:07:51 PM by brucedabold »

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
"Enchanted and spellbound, in the silence they lingered
And rowed the boat as the light grew steadily strong
And the birds were silent, as they listened for the heavenly music
And the river played the song..."

Leonie heard this snatch of a Van Morrison song that Longboat was, for some reason, reciting -- rather well, she had to admit -- and then suddenly he broke off, the cat jumped off the bar, the bartender turned beet red and hostile, and everyone seemed to be staring at... well, at the handsome man she had followed inside.  No, not at him, but at something right next to him.  Leonie backpedaled away from the bar and fumbled through her True Seeing spell as fast as she could.  She was just in time to spot the angel before he disappeared.

Remiel reappeared two seconds later, looking absolutely furious, and this time, his flaming sword was drawn and pointed at Mars.  "Very funny, you miscreant!" he started to say. 

And then the Tavern slid.  He vanished again, looking quite put out.

With her mouth hanging open, Leonie charged up a quick ward-and-shield, slightly too late. 

"What just happened?" she asked the room at large.

Offline Tikkeni

• View Profile
"Is it safe?" Sir Tikk meowed from behind Red's ankles?

Offline Aisling

• Aisling: pronounced ASH-ling
    • View Profile
Aisling just raised an eyebrow at the bard's request.  She wasn't about to stop him from singing nor cowering, if he pleased, but neither would she be encouraging more interaction. 

She watched as two angelic beings confronted each other.  She'd seen a bit of the wider world since escaping captivity, but hadn't seen beings like those two before; she had only heard rumors.  Having one pop through the door and another appear and then disappear was disconcerting.  Hopefully the Hunters had no such ability to come and go so easily from the Tavern or she'd truly have no rest. 

She doubted there would be any more newcomers once the slide began.  She wondered what would happen if she had to make a sudden exit at this point?  Would she disappear into nowhere?  Or would she not be allowed to leave at all?  She'd been through a number of slides, but not enough to see anyone test it. 

As the fog rose, she allowed herself to sit back a little and listen to the unfamiliar human song.  Although she was no judge, the voice was easy enough on the ears.  He also must be more perceptive than average, because she might not look like someone another could safely shelter behind, even though she might have a decent chance, even against angelic beings... or maybe not.  Or perhaps he was just a smooth-talker, like his singing voice?  Either way, he was doomed to be disappointed.  She was not in the habit of shielding strangers, nor falling under the spell of a golden tongue.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 09:58:08 PM by Aisling »

Offline sailmars

• View Profile
Mars was surprised that Remiel didn't know rule 3,142 off the top of his head since Mars was the reason for it. Mars had found an orphaned kitten and although it was not against the rules to have a cat in heaven, it was an unspoken, bad idea. You know how cats want to go outside just to be let back in? That's what cats do between the good and evil forces, they tightrope between the two as they see fit. Typically most angels just pretend cats don't exist and cats don't care about angel's opinion anyways.

One day, Mars accidentally stepped the cat's tail and it transformed into a demon. Mars was in his bathrobe, unarmed, and reached for the nearest semblance of a weapon, his toothbrush. He recited a quick prayer to make the toothbrush an instrument of God, when the demon spoke.

"Wait, I just need to ask one question, where is Camael?"

"What do you mean, where is he? He's with you, he fell months ago. It was announced in the quarterly meeting."

"He's not with us."

"He has to be with you or elsewhere would he go?"

"That's what I'm trying to figure out."

Just then, an angelic force bust down the door and when Mars looked back, the demon was gone.

The angelic governance decided to make a rule, but it had to be worded in a way that it would not upset cats or else they would have made a fierce enemy. Of course, since that rule was created, they are now up to 5,362 rules so who can blame Remiel for not knowing all of them.

Mars turned to address the room, "Eh, sorry about that. Next round is on me."

Offline brucedabold

• View Profile
Meanwhile, as the Sliding Tavern slid into its new world, a pirate ship was nearing its destination…

Black Bart looked at down at the map, then up at the horizon, and back at the map. Yeah, that’s the island all right, right where it’s supposed to be. The tall, muscled equine rolled the map up and then called up to the crow’s nest.

“Scaren! What do ye see?”

The avian crow looked through a spyglass and called back. “Jungle, a small bay, and some fog!”

“Fog?” Retorted Bart.

“Yeah, fog, but it’s clearing.”

Bart frowned and turned to his first mate, Joetian. “Fog? Does he mean smoke?” The air about the brigantine and the tropical island was clear, a beautiful sunny day. How could there be fog?

“Haven’t the foggiest,” replied the canine, giving his usual wolfish grin.

The captain glowered at his first. “Well, head for the lagoon. The map says treasure be there. Fog or no fog.”

“Aye aye, Cap’tn,” saluted the anthropomorphic wolf.

Offline cirdanslongboat

• View Profile
"Unless your brother decides to show back up, this looks like a reasonable destination," said Longboat stepping forward, and nodding toward Mars. "Lovely weather, and the smell of salt air; do you have much control over your destination?" he asked red, but turned to head over to a window like an excited toddler before she could answer.

"The sun was bright upon the hill,
the scent of sea my nostrils fill
Upon the bay my eye alights
and calls me to the sea's delights"
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 09:45:01 AM by cirdanslongboat »

Offline brucedabold

• View Profile
As Red’s skin dropped below oven temperatures, she looked down at the cat. “You are no ordinary cat, are you?”

She then turned to the barroom full of new guests. “Due to the rather suddenness of arrivals, I haven’t yet properly introduced myself. I am Red, the proprietress of this establishment, The Sliding Tavern.” She indicates the surroundings with a flourish.

“This tavern moves from place to place, from one time to another. And no, I do not control her. Normally, I would warn people who are here to leave before the slide, but many of you arrived mire moments before it was to occur, leading me to believe you all are at least somewhat aware of what you were getting into by coming here. If not, I am sorry, you are no longer in upstate New York at the beginning of the 21st century. You are now here. Whatever and whenever here is.”

For those who look, the tavern now sits just above the high tide mark in a smallish lagoon on a tropical beach. The sea is a brilliant blue and very clean. There is no sign of consumer trash or other ‘unnatural’ waste or industry. The property upon which the tavern sits has come along as well, and Leonie’s mustang sits just inside the sand line, looking quite the anathema.

There is a two masted tall ship out on the water, still several hundred yards out, not bigger than a thumb’s nail of an outstretched hand.

Offline Tikkeni

• View Profile
"Ermm...normal is as normal does..." Murmured Sir Tikk as Red finished talking.  He figured she probably heard him anyway.  He hadn't meant to ask the question out loud but his life had been relatively sedate (minus the whole getting booted out of the house bit) so he had been quite startled by the sword.  Intrigued now that the brouhaha had died down he jumped back up on the bar and began trying to look out various nearby windows or doors while sniffing the air.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
"Wait -- what?" Leonie whipped around as the sea breeze came through the window, along with a dramatic shift in the direction and quality of the sunlight.  "Oh, my God!"  She glared at Red.  "You --  you fucking kidnapped me?"

She remained quiet, though white-faced, through the rest of Red's explanation.  Then she said, "Oh, my God," again, and sat down heavily in a chair not far from Aisling.  "Oh, my God, I can't believe I was so stupid."   How many times had she yawned her way through one of Dean Fogg's lectures on the dangers of magic?  How many times had she seen older classmates come back from Fillory practically dismembered?

"Isn't there a way back?  Oh, God.  My parents.  My friends.  My school!  I'm going to miss last quarter!  I'm not going to graduate!"  She sounded not far from hysteria.