Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

(M) The Sliding Tavern

Offline brucedabold

• View Profile
“Sounds like you need a drink,” replied Red to the distraught woman. She grabs a dusty bottle, “topics call for rum,” she mutters as the demoness pours a double-shot for Leonie and another for herself. “Look on the bright side." She hands the glass over. "You couldn’t have asked for more interesting mates to be stuck with." She raises her glass. "Cheers!"

Offline sailmars

• View Profile
Mars heard the distraught female and sympathized. One man's paradise can be another one's hell. He knew that well enough. As for himself, he could feel it was different here. In the air, maybe. He felt freer than he had in a long time.  It was high time he finished his beer. He took the pint glass, still cold and wet with condensation, and guzzled the rest of the bitter liquid.

"I'll take some rum as well, when in Rome!"

Offline Tikkeni

• View Profile
Sir Tikk's ears did a round of pivoting with all the talking before settling into their normal position.  Sitting down he turned to face down the bar's length with all the drinks and people.  "So, now what?" He asked. 

A new place that was not Earth.  It sounded interesting...intriguing even.  A distraction from his grief.  "How long will we be here?" He mused as he turned to look at the front door.

Offline Aisling

• Aisling: pronounced ASH-ling
    • View Profile
Some distance away, aboard a ship, there were a few crew who took advantage of some empty out of the way space and had slung hammocks to catch some sleep.  Their dreams were odd; definitely not Dark Fae. 

Aisling sensed no immediate threat.

She relaxed a little more, which meant that she settled back a small fraction and took a sip from the tankard in front of her.   New people and places only slightly interested her, but she appreciated the entertainment value in different scenery around the Tavern and the little dramas of whomever stumbled in and out.  It was mildly entertaining, better yet, it was informative, and information was always useful. 

Offline cirdanslongboat

• View Profile
Longboat suddenly stopped reciting verse and said, "wait-what?" Turning around to look at Leonie he added, "You did NOT want to leave that toxic chemical dump? I must be loosing my perception. I saw you marching toward the door surrounded by a very competent aura of magic, and I thought 'If she is confident heading into the obviously coming time slip, I should take this opportunity to leave as well.' I guess either I am going blind, or you are a too young to realize your full power.

"oh, and cheers," he said looking at Red. Didn't someone offer to buy me a drink?

Offline brucedabold

• View Profile
“Tis a house!” Shouted Scaren.

“What?!” Bellowed Bart.

“A house, and barn and there be something else.”

“A what?!”

“A cannon maybe? Canna tell what it be.”

The captain grunts and takes out his own spyglass to train on the shore. Sure enough. A house. English mansion type of place, with a barn behind it. And something dark green and squarish in front of the house. Hard to tell at this distance what it is. Not quite a cannon, not quite a wagon. A ballistae of some sort? And no sign of movement, but it certainly doesn't look abandoned.

The lagoon is obviously too shallow for the Nightmare. They would have to use the longboats. “Draw close and drop anchor,” he instructs the helmsman. They’ll find out soon enough if there's anyone about and if that strange object is or is not a siege weapon.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Leonie proved that she hadn't learned anything from her recent mistake by grabbing the rum Red offered and tossing it back without even activating an anti-Roofies charm.  Leonie wasn't just feckless, she had actually failed to show up the day they were handing out feck.

The double shot made her flush and gasp.  Then she glared at Longboat in an uncertain way.  She couldn't tell if she had been complimented or insulted.  "Toxic? -- it was my home! and what do you mean, obvious?"  With another glower at Red, she added, "This place is open to the public!  You ought to have a warning sign up!"

She was afraid she was about to start crying, or yelling.  Doing either of those would probably alienate the people she was now stuck with, so she handed back the empty glass, got up and stalked out the front door instead.  She headed toward her car, relieved to see it was still there, thinking it would be a good place to get over herself in private. 

But a clearer sight of the ship approaching gave her pause.  She grabbed her phone and used the camera's zoom feature to focus on the flag it was flying.

Then she was heading back inside the Tavern as fast as she could.  "Guys?  Um, guys?  There's a pirate ship headed this way!"

Offline Tikkeni

• View Profile
Sir Tikk perked up at the words pirate ship.  Stories with those in them were always fun!  But...this wasn't a story, was it?  Jumping down he darted through everyone's legs and out the front door only to stop in wonder.  So.Much. Water.  And...oh...saaaand!  Running to the edge of the property , just past the maple tree, he glanced at the horizon before stepping into the sand.  After a moment's hesitation he slowly fell to one side and rolled in the warm sand happily, eventually stopping with all feet in the air.

Offline cirdanslongboat

• View Profile
"By obvious, I mean that I sometimes forget that I see things others don't. My apologies and I meant no offense, other than that you are young, which I understand to be a compliment where you are from. As for toxic. I understand your love of home, as I also miss my home with all of its flaws." Longboat got a far away look in his eyes, then snapped back. "We may want to consider how we want to welcome our pirate guests before they get here."

Offline brucedabold

• View Profile
Red watched the woman head towards the door as she poured a couple more doubles, plus refilling her own. “I think I caught her name,” she gestured, “as Leonie."

"And you my dear,” she walks over to the elven gentleman, “are Longboat, correct?” She handed him a drink. She then stepped over to the angel, handed him the drink, and raised her own. “But I don’t have yours.”

Upon which Leonie returns with the news of impending pirates.

“I probably should get out more rum."

Offline sailmars

• View Profile
Mars realized he has been so concerned with himself that he never bothered to introduce himself. Maybe he's closer to being a human than an angel now!

"Ahem, pardon me everyone. I apologize about earlier but it looks like there's not much time for pleasantries," Mars spoke as he stood up, somewhat inebriated.

"My name is Mars and, and as you may have already guessed, I am no longer an angel, but I also don't know what I am. For what it's worth, I've lived through centuries on Earth and at one point we had pirates so I am confident that they won't give us much trouble. The pirates I knew were much more concerned with something called "boobies" or whatever. I think if we just hold tight, they'll go away on their own," Mars explained, as confidently as someone who has had too much to drink.

Offline Aisling

• Aisling: pronounced ASH-ling
    • View Profile
Pirates.  She'd heard that term somewhere, but couldn't quite place it. 

Aisling wondered what sort of defenses the Tavern had, or would it just slide to another place if threatened? 

Offline cirdanslongboat

• View Profile
"You may look a demoness, but you act the saint," said Longboat as he raised his glass to Red. "As for the pirates, I recommend we spend a moment pondering a plan B, on the off chance they prove more insistent than your previous experience," he added toward Mars.

"His sword was long, his lance was keen,
his shining helm afar was seen;
the countless stars of heaven's field
were mirrored in his silver shield."

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
No one seemed very worried about the pirates.  Only Longboat thought it might be necessary to fight them.  Even the cat just ambled out toward the sand.  Red and Mars were more interested in alcohol, and the Goth chick... never seemed to do or say anything.

"Technically, I think you can only be an angel or a fallen angel," Leonie said to Mars, recalling her Fourth Year liturgical magic class.  "But what do I know, I never met a real angel before.  And if the other guy was typical, I don't want to meet any more."

She chuckled at Longboat's verse.  "Did all that bling make him a better fighter, Gramps?"  She cracked her knuckles.  "I learned Magic Missile last quarter," she offered.  "Yes, we named it after the Dungeons and Dragons edition, don't laugh."

She peeked out at the ship, which was closer now, anchored, and lowering longboats (hah!) into the water.  "Maybe I better move my car..."

Offline cirdanslongboat

• View Profile
"It made him believe in himself, and he was invincible...   ...well, for that battle. Unfortunately I am well past believing in myself, and my bling is getting threadbare," added Longboat a bit sadly, as he hesitantly took off his coat. Then after a pause he said, "I don't think your car is useful here, and I would not let the pirates see you move it, or they may want it. And Magic Missiles sounds like perfect cover fire.

"I am going to go assess them before they land, and I don't think it would hurt to have some flamberge wielding back up, even if I am hopeful you are correct," he said to Mars.

"Would you do me the kind honor of stashing my coat behind the bar?" he asked Red, laying it slowly and gingerly on the end of the bar, and he turned to head out toward the beach.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 10:07:13 AM by cirdanslongboat »