Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

(M) The Sliding Tavern

Offline sailmars

• View Profile
I guess when you're immortal, you don't worry about silly things like pirates, pandemics, or philosophy. Some important things are piety, priests, and penguins. Because penguins are cute.

Mars realized he was using his flaming sword as a cane for support and thought it was probably a good idea to put it away. He picked it up and swung it behind his back and it seemed to automatically enter an unseen sheath that hide it and made it look like a backpack he was now wearing

"Why is it that angels are considered "fallen" when they are no longer fighting an unwinnable war but demons can be and do whatever they want? Red doesn't seem to be a part of The War and you wouldn't call her a "Risen Demon" would you?" Mars asked to no one in particular.

"Who wants to go out and meet our new friends?"

Offline Aisling

• Aisling: pronounced ASH-ling
    • View Profile
Aisling was surprised that the angelic being and the singer looked like they were going to head out to confront the pirates.  She supposed it was a fair enough assumption that the pirates were up to no good.  They might be some kind of seafaring bandits, if she was remembering correctly.  And most creatures were usually fearful, violent, or even downright cruel, it seems.  But the pirates could have just started firing cannons, couldn't they, if they were set on thieving? 

Not my battle, she thought, unless they wish to destroy the Tavern sheltering her.  She wasn't useful for negotiation or a first line of defense, so she might as well sit back a bit more and wait.

Offline cirdanslongboat

• View Profile
Longboat stopped, spun around and said to Red, "War is expensive, and I was wondering if your store of rum would permit you to contribute a bottle to our negotiations...   ...I unfortunately am not in a position to cover such an expense and I fully understand if you do not offer such an extravagant service."

Offline brucedabold

• View Profile
Red isn’t all too pleased at being called a saint, but she gives it a pass. To Mars she says, “Angels are Law, Demons are Chaos.”

She then watches as Longboat and Leonie get ready to go confront the pirates. She raises an eyebrow, grabs another bottle of rum, and then walks over to the Elf.

“Here you go. Try not to be too heroic,” she gives him a peck on the cheek. The demoness looks to to Leonie, “And you, please come back in one piece, one delicious piece.”

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
"Red is a demon?" Leonie said, casting a glance at the comely bartender.  It explained her color shifting, anyway.  "Let's shelve the theological debate for later, huh?"

She blushed hard at Red's compliment and laughed nervously.  "I'm trying to focus here.  This is not the time to make me question my heterosexuality!"  But she had a shy, pleased smile for the demoness on her way out the door.

She trailed Longboat and Mars as they headed for the beach, but stopped at her Mustang.  "I'll use this for cover and start shooting if you get in trouble," she promised, and squared off into her spellcasting stance.

Offline Tikkeni

• View Profile
Sir Tikk lazily watched the group exit and headed to the beach and split up.  This looked to be interesting.  After a few moments consideration and soaking up of rays he rolled over, shook himself and trotted over to the woman behind the car.  The more prudent location he was sure.

Offline cirdanslongboat

• View Profile
"The angels will always see you as 'Fallen' because they only see black and white," Longboat said to Mars as they headed toward the beach. "Now you are free to present yourself as any color you want, and us non-angels will judge you by where you are going rather than where you are coming from. Now let's go be as gentle and pleasant as we can to people who may not return the courtesy."

"welcome, welcome, don't be cross,
Into the bay, your anchor toss
From the longboats, happy and light,
All together, a beautiful sight"

Offline brucedabold

• View Profile
“Looks like there’s two heading out to meet us Captain,” commented a sharper-eyed mustalid crewman. “Plus one hanging out behind the green thing, and ain’t none of them look normal. Like they’ve been shaved or somet’n.”

The captain and four crew had the forward longboat, followed by six in the other. Some had muskets, some had pistols, and all had sabers.

The massive black equine stood at the prow, scowling. “Any weapons?” He didn’t like the look of any of this.

“None that I can see, Captain.”

“Wizards, mostly likely then.” The pirate hated wizards. Always doing weird stuff and never the right way. He looked back at his wizard, a small white male lapine. “What say you, Cornelleous? Think they be wizards?”

The mage shrugged and drooped his ears. “They are like nothing I’ve seen before Sir.”

As the longboat hit sand the seven foot captain stepped out of the boat and waded to shore. The other crew jumped out and pulled the craft up onto the sand. They were still a hundred paces from Longboat and Mars.

“Follow me,” he told the four. He then gestured at the other boat to keep back and be ready.

He struck an impressive figure, basically a minotaur, except with a horse’s head instead of a bull’s. Breeches, a very large cutlass, a flint pistol, and a vest. His black mane billowed in the wind.

“What ho!” He called to the approaching men.

Offline cirdanslongboat

• View Profile
" Ahoy good fellows. We are delighted at the absence of a Naval ensign on you boat. Can we welcome you with a swig of rum," shouted Longboat, holding the bottle aloft, and smiling as welcoming a smile as he could muster.

Offline Tikkeni

• View Profile
Sir Tikk squinted under the car then jumped onto the hood.  "What...is that...I mean....it's....that can't be right...."

Offline sailmars

• View Profile
Mars was contemplating Longboat's advice when he realized the pirates in front of them were not ordinary pirates. They had fur, hoofs, claws, and in addition, weapons like guns and swords.

Mars looked back at the tavern, then looked over to Longboat who had a tense smile, and considered his options. Then he shouted out:

"Ahoy thar hearties. We wish ye no harm. We be wonderin' where 'n when we be. Ye see our ship has landed here 'n we be tryin' t' get back galleon in time fer our scallywag's magic school graduation ye understand. If ye could point us in th' direction o' New York, we would be much obliged."

Offline cirdanslongboat

• View Profile
"I was going to suggest that you might be laying it on a bit thick there, but this is definitely NOT who I was expecting, so your guess is as good as mine," Longboat stage whispered to Mars as they continued forward.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Since she had a minute, Leonie broke her stance to scritch Sir Tikk behind the ears.  "Are you a Fillorian kitty?" she asked, since the only talking animals she'd ever heard were real came from Fillory. 

She faceplamed when she overheard Mars greeting the new arrivals.  "There isn't a pirate on this or any other planet who talks like that!"

Mention of other planets made her gasp as a sudden realization hit her.  "Oh, my God, this is another place!  Another time!"  She squinted at the approaching Furries and added, "Another planet!  The Circumstances are completely different!  My spell is going to be jacked!"  She looked around, trying to calculate, but it was futile.  "Does the planet even rotate in the same direction?  Does it have a moon?  What latitude are we at?" 

She was talking to the cat, since the others were now too far away to hear her.

Offline brucedabold

• View Profile
The equine waved towards the tavern mates and continued forward.

“Look, Cornelleous, I think these guys be already finding the treasure and it included some sort of Genie-in-a-Bottle.” He glanced back at the Lapine. “It’s the only explanation how this mansion and stuff be here.”

Cornelleous nodded thoughtfully. He never contradicted his captain, regardless of the wackiness of his ideas.

“So, just keep an eye out, a wizard magic eye out, for a lamp, or a bottle, or even the Genie.”

“And until we know what’s be what,” he looked at the other two crew members, “let’s be real friendly like. No matter how ugly these hairless cretins look.”

“Arrr, yes,” he calls out as he nears Longboat and Mars. “Be that rum I be seeing? Ye know how to welcome a stranger, stranger.” He steps and bows. “I be one Black Bart, captain of the Nightmare,” he nods towards the ship. “And who might you be?”

Offline Aisling

• Aisling: pronounced ASH-ling
    • View Profile
Curiosity could get you killed, but knowledge could save you--or maybe still get you killed. 

Aisling didn't really need more rest.  She was doing that while sitting, staring into her ale.  So she moved, along with her drink, to the bar and took a seat.  She sat at one end, with her legs to the side so she could keep half an eye to the room.

"Barkeep, does this Tavern have defenses if these pirates attack?  Or is it up to those who just happen to be in it at the time?"