Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

(M) The Sliding Tavern

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
As Longboat didn't seem to want to move, Leonie stopped waiting for him and ran after Aisling and Red.  The Tavern dwellers, Peter included, now made a small cluster on the front lawn.  The crowd was getting thick, but Rikerg was so tall it was easy to see what was going on.

"Hoo, boy," Leonie commented, and rolled up her sleeves.  At least the rain had stopped, but she still didn't have any grasp on the Circumstances of this place.  She couldn't even tell which direction was east.  A spell could easily backfire, but on the other hand, not doing anything would probably be worse.

Before she could do anything, the monster had a sharp point at the guy's throat and it was clear any sudden move would kill him.  "Shit!"  But it gave her time to do the proper calculations for delicate removal, should the opportunity arise, so she got the spell ready to fire at a moment's notice.  "If somebody could distract Rikerg enough, I can probably get that guy out of there."

Offline brucedabold

• View Profile
Red kept taking bites of the ham intended for Rikerg. Frowning as she chewed, she didn't reply to Peter or Ashling. And here I thought I had gotten away from all the human-snatching demons when I left Hell.

When Leonie arrived Red nodded at her offer. "That, I can do." She handed the partially eaten hamhocks to Peter, took out her whip, and proceeded to stride purposefully towards the center of the crowd. Her size misrepresented her strength, and she shoulders through the gathering like a football player twice her size.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Peter dropped a fair-sized rock and took the hamhocks without complaint, despite the fact that his gloves and sleeves were now smeared with ham salt and other stuff. Up until that point, Peter had been planning to get Rikerg to drop the man by giving him another human to chase, but was relieved to see that Red was on the job.

Reggie stood on his hind legs, stretching up to try to reach the ham. **Give me some of that, Peter -- please!** he whined, totally forgetting his former discomfort.

"Not a chance," Peter responded, eyes still on Rikerg and Red. "It's heavily salted."

**Yeah, I know** Reggie pouted, beginning to jump up and down. **Want it anyway**

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Detritus would not have been able to figure out on his own what do, but luckily his copper training covered this contingency.

"Dat is not happening," he said.  "On account of we-don't-negos-shee-eight wit... terriers, an' dat."

"Terrorists," said one of the frightened dwarf Watchmen from underneath a helmet he seemed to be trying to crawl inside.

"An' dat," Detritus agreed.  He leveled his seige-weapon crossbow at Rikerg.  "Dis your last warning.  Put him down."

The man in Rikerg's grip whimpered and tried to faint.

Offline Aisling

• Aisling: pronounced ASH-ling
    • View Profile
"Rikerg!  Over here!  Food!!!"  Aisling yelled surprisingly loudly for someone of her size.

"Wave that ham," she told the pretty human male.  "Keep trying to get his attention."

Then she flicked on her don't-look glamour and ran.  It looked like she was going to be knocking heads and causing a distraction again.  Maybe she'd start at the edges, so that the troop of guards would look away from the tusked-one.   And she'd try and trip and knock over the guardsmen, instead of harming them more grievously,  since they weren't actually violently attacking the Tavern.  Sure, they were after Rikerg, but that one was always just asking for trouble...  Not that she had any great sympathy for these strange locals, but Aisling wasn't blood-thirsty, just very, very good at killing people.  And that was not her fault, either.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 04:43:12 AM by Aisling »

Offline brucedabold

• View Profile
Red's weapon was no ordinary whip, but rather a Torturous Whip from the beaches of Hell. It had numerous abilities. It could be smooth or thorn-encrusted, deliver jellyfish-like stings or electric shocks, burning hot or freezing cold, thin to a narrow wire or thicken to several inches, and like a snake, it could constrict as well as slither.

The demoness reached the clearing around the horned giant. "RIKERG!" she spoke in sharp schoolmarm, cracking her whip for emphasis. "If you wish to continue traveling with the tavern, you will let go of that man NOW."

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Peter startled when Aisling spoke -- he hadn't noticed her there due to her shadow abilities -- then nodded. Tucking one of the hamhocks under one arm, he moved quickly to the very edge of the Tavern's footprint and raised the other ham above his head and waved it. "Come on, Rikerg!" he shouted. "Do as Red says and come get the yummy ham!!"

Reggie continued jumping for the meat, his jaws snapping just short of the hock beneath Peter's arm.

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"Why not?" Rikerg didn't get why they would go through all of the trouble of attacking him to defend this human, only to allow him to be killed instead of moving to the side. His attention was grabbed by Aisling when she mentioned food, his head snapping to look at her, he had to squint to try and see what she was talking about, his nostrils flaring as he tried to figure out what food she was talking about. Initially, he would assume it was Peter himself, but he seemed to be waving something.

"How long has that been dead for?" he asked, making a face at the offering, thinking a trade of very dead meat for fresh meat wasn't fair at all. His focus on the Tavern made it so he didn't notice Red until she shouted at him. He started, gripping the human with both hands now and holding him above his head again, staring wide eyed at Red.

"I'm hungry." he complained, "And I have already promised them I would tear out his throat." He was unintentionally squeezing the human hard enough to make it difficult for him to breed, clutching him like he was a piece of contraband he'd been caught with by Red.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
"I get dat," Detritus said when Rikerg complained of hunger.  "Dose fleshy guys, dey delicious --" 

"How do you know?" one of the human Watchmen said nervously.

"--but we live in civ-uh-luh-zay-shun now," Detritus went on.  "We not any more be stupid trolls dat eat people."  He held his fire while Red was trying to talk Rikerg down, but the huge bolt was steady on Rikerg's chest.

Angua, meanwhile, came out of the alley where she had been changing back into a human and putting on a lightweight dress that she carried for just such emergencies.  She maneuvered to a place where she would be able to catch Rikerg's victim if he dropped the man from his full height.  But then she frowned and scanned the crowd.  People were falling over, disturbances were arising, and she could smell something strange.  Hoping that Detritus could handle Rkerg, she went hunting for it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:40:44 PM by Aries Jordan »

Offline cirdanslongboat

• View Profile
Longboat, trotted over to the conflagration, and arranged himself by the biggest group of city guards, and began to suggest to them that Reikerg would be best dealt with by getting him a live animal and letting him eat it on the Tavern grounds. THEN he will be much easier to deal with.

Offline Aisling

• Aisling: pronounced ASH-ling
    • View Profile
Magic worked differently on different worlds, with different beings...  Aisling could usually judge by how easily she could Dreamwalk.  That had seemed to work as usual.  And her don't-look glamour seemed to be fine, too...  That is until she noticed one who was sniffing around and heading in her direction.

Her distraction tactics weren't all that effective anyway.  Most of the guardsmen seemed content to just look on in an interested or maybe slightly hesitant way.   And of course, the tusked-one wasn't taking advantage--just continuing to be the problem.

Aisling headed away from the crowd towards the Tavern.  The one local creature seemed to be able to scent her.  She found a bit of shadow--a small sliver by a drainpipe and a doorway--and slid into it.  No longer entirely in this world, she should be safe enough--her scent would lead to her position, but it would be as if she was no longer there.  If not, she could always try to get further away or attack.  She didn't want to cause more problems for the Tavern, so she hoped the nosey one would be distracted by Rikerg, who was continuing to act in a very threatening way. 

Like the pirates, these people seemed to not have much of a sense of self-preservation. 

Offline brucedabold

• View Profile
"Food?! You wanted him for food?" Red laughed. "Ah, and here I thought it was yet another human who had pissed you off. Look, we have some salted dead flesh over at the tavern. If you want something live I'm sure there is a marketplace here with livestock. But humans, I'm afraid, and any other speaking creature, is off the dinner table, got it?" The demoness shook her head at the irony. There certainly was a time in which she had done such things she is now forbidding Rikerg, but that was long ago, and there was a reason she left all of that behind.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Peter continued to wave the hamhock, hoping the scent would reach Rikerg. "Come on, you... monster, you," he muttered anxiously. "Come on. Come and get it..."

Offline Tikkeni

• View Profile
Sir Tikk continued to watch from the safety of the porch.  He shook his head wondering at the fact that Rikerg had SEEMED smart enough to figure out what he was doing was idiocy not that long ago but now....

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"These people do not act very civilized." Rikerg growled. "Yet they expect us to treat them civilly.

"He did piss me off." But that had just given him a reason to eat the human. Reluctantly, he lowered the human and stared at him, considering his next course of action. He was too hungry to go out hunting again, but if he started to eat this human, then he'd be attacked. Even if he managed not to be interrupted, he'd be injured too much for the meal to matter. If they'd been all humans, he wouldn't have cared, but the giant crossbow alone could do quite a bit of damage.

He gave the poor human one last squeeze before offering him up to the trolls. He wasn't going to agree entirely to Red's terms, even if he had yet to even find a proper dinner table to put anything on. He looked at Peter who was still waving the ham, his nose twitching a bit.