Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

Devil May Care

Nutter · 110 · 2613

Offline Jabbathejack

• Manager
    • View Profile
"We'll send a runner instead. Plenty of lads out here out to earn some coin. Write a message to one of your friends."

He paused, frowning in thought.
"The only question is how we get the evidence to them." He shrugged, shaking his head as he finished off his breakfast. "That ain't really something I know much about. It wasn't much of an issue in India."

He made no further comment on Zach's wasted meal, not wanting to labour the point.

Offline Nutter

• View Profile
"I've got some contacts at the station. People who owe me a few favours - let some behaviours slide that I shouldn't have." He became less and less proud of those parts of his life over time, but for now it was going to come in handy. "I'll get them to run things for me under the radar."

It might not go super well if he wasn't there in person to deliver the message, but hopefully sending through a few letters would get the job done.

"I'll get started on that today. Might also see if I can find somewhere to live that isn't that place - I know it's your old home, but I'm not sure I can stick it out." He gave a bit of a smile that implied he was joking, but there was also definitely some seriousness to it.

Offline Jabbathejack

• Manager
    • View Profile
"Makes sense." Reginald muttered. "We need somewhere a little quieter to sit tight whilst we get our heads together and work out a half decent plan."

He took a final sip of his tea and sat, taking some small comfort from the residual warmth from the mug. Finally, he set it down.

"I'll let you think about getting a new place." He smiled bitterly, knowing that he wasn't as good at finding places, not ones that would suit a man like Zach.

"In the meantime, I'll have a quiet nose around the warehouse. I have a couple of contacts who might know something. Hush hush and all that. I'll see what I can find out."

He stood up, fishing in his coat pocket for a couple of coins to cover his breakfast and slapped them down on the table.
"I'll meet you tonight, at the Rookery?"

It was dangerous to split up, but Reginald knew that it was a necessary risk if they wanted to get something done. They could not afford to spend their days looking over their shoulders and jumping at every shadow. Something had to be done.

Offline Nutter

• View Profile
"... Yeah. Yeah, I'll meet you there. Be careful, Regi."

Zach threw down a few more coins to cover anything else, plus a tip, before turning the collar of his coat up with a small sigh. It was going to be a long few days, and not any that he was looking forward to. In fact, he didn't think he'd ever been looking forward to anything less.

Gripping Reginald's shoulder on the way out, Zach managed a small, rather half-hearted smile before heading out into the street to go and do what he did best - shirk around the law and pull in favours so that he could get what he wanted.

Zach had been much more successful in one area than another - it was well into the evening once he returned back to the Rookery, dark circles underneath his eyes and a slight bow to his back as if he was running on empty. He had no idea if Regi had already got back or was still out getting work done, but all he wanted right now was somewhere to rest his feet and he supposed this place would have to do.

Work was being done on the warehouse to find any evidence, but that was going to take at least a day to get anything concrete. His search for a new place to stay had been woefully unsuccessful, but he had made sure that everyone who knew anything (who he could trust to keep their mouths shut) was keeping an eye out for where his Father had decided to hole up this time. They were also on the eye for anywhere easy to stay, but Zach was less hopeful about that.

Regardless, he had done what he could - he rather think he deserved the bottle of whiskey stashed in his jacket after the course the last few days had taken.

Offline Jabbathejack

• Manager
    • View Profile
Reginald avoided getting too close to the warehouse, knowing that a few of Zach's cop buddies would be along to check the place for evidence once he worked his magic with his contacts. Instead, Reginald focused on who he knew was in the area, working the contacts that he had been forging over the last few months. Surely, anyone with an operation like that would leave some clues around, surely a man who worked like that would make more than a few enemies here and there.

He looked for people who might be caught up in a turf war, although in general, those were people he wanted to avoid.

He knocked on a side door in a small alley, waiting a few moments for a small peep window to be pulled back. A pair of eyes glared at him suspiciously.
"Who the hell are you?"
"Catherton." He replied quietly. "I want to talk to your boss."

The man snorted in derision.
"Like he's going to see you?"

Yet Reginald waited, hoping that he had made enough of a wave over the past few months. After a few minutes, he heard the scraping of a bolt and the door was opened.