Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

Fragments of the World Eater (Pendragon)

Offline PendragonXeno94

• The Hoarder of Notebooks
    • View Profile
As Dagny watched her parents get pulled to the side, she glanced at the piece of metal before looking at Duin. "I guess it's a miracle that you can still talk after having this lodged in your throat," she said.

"I can see that," said Kohl-Brenna, "but how is he supposed to learn to subdue it. It's bloody Alduin! And he..." She waved her hand some before sighing. "How did he end up like this? How did he lose his memory? By the Eight, I don't even know how he survived our last encounter!"

"Perhaps he got lost in time," suggested Erick.

"Nonsense."
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"My dear, Alduin is a dragon. That to me looks like a very confused boy with a empty head that can be shaped and molded by anyone or anything. And with power that looks to be very similar to your own, I can bet you there will be people who would love to have their own 'dovahkiin' for nefarious purposes." Madam Grindle remarked. "Perhaps we are fortunate that he was found by your family, my dear?"

Indeed. With the ability to breath fire like that, it was similar to what a dragonborn could do. And people would crave that power, to have something like that on their side would be a benefit to anyone. Even the dumbest of bandits.

"Hi los ni naalein til." Duin muttered out.
(You're not alone there.)

"Perhaps he's just a dovahkiin like you but has forgotten the words for his power? Pehaps you should teach him those words and that would bring control?" Madam grindle suggested. "Whatever you do, you'll have to think of a course of action fast. I'm sure he can still overheat and suffer from fever."

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Kohl-Brenna rolled her eyes. "Perhaps..." She still wasn't convinced, but if it pleased Madam Grindle that she went along with her suggestion, then she would do just that. "I'll see what I can do."

She walked over to Duin, crouching down to his level. "I know who you are, but I'm only helping because nobody wants you to overheat. I'm going to give you a Word to use in hopes that will bring this under control, got it?"

Erick and Dagny looked on as Kohl-Brenna gave Duin a word, though neither one knew what was said. She could be scolding him for all they knew.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"Ful mu grind us ruz? Zu'u dreh ni mindoraan." Duin questioned softly, tilting his head somewhat.
(So we met before then? I don't understand)

With the word of power given to him, Duin's body seemed to respond. The overwhelming heat started to fade and sure enough, his temperature was only just above what it should be; it probably would calm down given some time to recover and such.

"Now that the panic is over, keep an eye on him for a day or two. Try to encourage him to try to speak in our language and see if he still coughs like that. His voice might be scratchy if he manages but that's to be expected." Madam Grindle instructs.

Duin's body wasn't too fond of that entire experience. The warmth was still in his chest though his mind was focusing more on his throat. How did he live through that? What did Kho-Brenna mean by she knew him? He only felt so much confusion.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Well, at least giving him a word to use helped enough to calm him down. When told they had to keep an eye on him for the next day or so, Kohl-Brenna nodded.

Over the next few days, Dagny and her parents encourage Duin to speak their language. While he had some difficulty, he seemed to get the hang of it. All three took turns trying to have and hold a conversation with him to help him get over the coughs and scratchiness of his voice.

"The sky is blue," she said. "Now you try."
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
Over the past few days, Duin had shown improvement. Sometimes he'd end up coughing up smoke and in the smaller occasion, embers instead. But no large spew of flames like at Madam Grindle's home. The warmth was still mostly in his chest and he couldn't help but feel that was just going to be how it was. It almost felt natural in a odd way...at first it was weird and even scary, it now felt more like a piece of him. Granted that piece of him was a bit..tricky to keep down as he noticed whenever he really got into something emotion wise; such as excitement, that sensation of heat would rise up and it would take a great deal of effort to keep the fire in.

Currently he was sitting on the porch with Dagny as she was trying to get him to say  a new set of words to help him with speaking her tongue. It didn't sound as intricate and nice as his own tongue did but he knew his was harder for people to understand.

"The lky is...wait...." Duin started but already had to pause to correct himself.

Something that would happen often when trying to speak common, is that Duin would mix the words up and start to say them in a hybrid way. The word Sky was pronounced as Lok in his tongue, and what just happened was him starting to say it in dovah only to subconsciously correct it near the end. Creating a new mess of a word and one that wasn't correct.

"Skoy...Sk.....lo..." Duin started again, taking a deep breathe and exhaling as he felt annoyance at such a small word being such a pain.

Putting his hands near his face, he sighed and took in a breathe. Another thing that made the heat in his chest stir and move away was his temper. Now Duin wasn't a super angry person, but he grew frustrated easily despite his efforts. It was always clear when he was trying to keep his mind clear or when he was starting to grow annoyed/frustrated. His face would always scrunch up in a way that would mimic a less angered or frustrated expression, only for him to actually be higher in that emotion than the expression conveyed. Another tell tale sign was when that smoke would roll out of his mouth with a heavy enough exhale.

So far, it seemed that the things that frustrated him the most was his inability to do things. He never would throw a tantrum but there was a time he hastily ran out of the house during one of his early word lessons with Erick and once away from the house and anything flameable, couldn't contain the fire that had risen up from his chest and thus, a large amount of fire was released. The ground thankfully was the only thing burnt and while Brenna yelled at him; potentially accusing him of something. It was obvious to the others that Duin had tried to hold it in as well as not potentially hurt anyone, the soot that one would notice on his hands were evidence that during the fire breathing, Duin's hands had been clasped over his mouth, attempting to hold it in but of course. Fire could get out no matter what.

"Lok...." Duin started, taking one more short breathe with a faint scratchy sound to it at the end. "Sssssssssskok!!! SKOK!!! Ruth nii! Ruth Nii!!"
(Damn it! DAMN IT!!)

A plume escaped his mouth as he spoke in Dovah near the end but he merely sighed as he gave up to the word sky.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Dagny was about to try and help Duin when he tried to correct himself. She waited for a moment until he began to cover his mouth and try to speak in her tongue rather than his own. He soon let his temper get the better of him and he began to berate himself as he triedto keep the fire down.

"Ro." Dagny learned that if she or anyone else said the word for balance, it helped him calm down. She continued once he had simmered down. "Why don't try to slowly say it? The..."

She let him repeat her.

"Sky..." She continued to draw our the syllables in hopes of helping him not flying off the handle over a word he'd mix up with another. "Is... Blue.. "
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
A longer exhale left him, smoke billowed out the whole exhale but with the word Ro said, the fire in his chest calmed enough to where the smoke wasn't rushing out. Letting his hands rest on his legs, the man looked ahead with little emotion to his face as he was trying to ignore the word for now. However Dagny still wished to try and help, giving a suggestion to him to say it slower.

"The." Duin repeated, one of the easy words he grasped the best.

But once again that one word showed up that tripped his tongue despite saying it slowly. Duin shook his head dishearteningly and moved on to the other words.

"Is. Blue." Duin repeated. "Your tongue is....confusingly tricky. So many things sound the same and...megawe..no...merge together. How keep it all straight?"

Not the best way to structure what he was trying to say but the point of it came across. It was confusing to him, to him it sounded like so many of the words were too similar and merge together, and his overall confusion on how all this was kept straight.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
When asked how she managed to keep English straight, she shrugged. "I guess since I've grown up speaking it... I understand it gets confusing and it's hard to keep things straight, but it does take some getting used to."

She placed her hands on his shoulders. "You'll get the hang of it eventually," she added, giving him a reassuring smile. Well, this was going ti be a long day...
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
A small sigh left him, and his shoulders would move with this action. At least he could do communication to a degree, a much better degree now. So he couldn't be too disappointed at this one word.

"Break then?" Duin requested, wanting to take a break from trying to say words that slipped into dovah when he tried to use them. "Your mother...said metal bit was...from her sword and she seems....to claim to know me. She...doesn't like me due to that I think."

Might as well try to talk about something else while using common...right?

"Have you seen...sword?" Duin adds. "That she speak of?"

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Dagny gave him another encouraging smile as he continued to converse. At least he had improved over the last few days

When he mentioned her mother's sword, her eyes widened slightly. "Well, she keeps it in a display case upstairs by her bedroom. It has a tip missing, but I guess Mama thinks that it came out of you and that's what set her off."

But then again, nobody could know for sure unless they tried to piece the tip to the blade. "Did you want to look at it?"
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
Well that was scary to hear, that the very thing was just sitting upstairs.

"Part of me does...part of me doesn't...does make sense?" Duin asked, tilting his head as he tried to express his confusion.

He wanted to see if it was what he saw in his hallucination when he had to drink that potion. But what did that mean for him if he did go look? What if it looked like what was in his hallucination? Did that man Dagny's mother would try to kill him again with it? Why did she try to kill him at the beginning then?

"I saw something...tricks of mind when...drinking painful medicine." Duin added. "Afraid of things currently is all...confused."

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
"Well, if you're not sure, we don't have to go look." All she wanted was for him to be comfortable.When he explained that he saw things when he drank the potion, she raised a brow. "What kind of things?"

Erick walked by with the steward as he spotted Dagny and Duin. "How's your speaking?" he asked Duin.

"It's getting good," Dagny replied. "He still gets stumped on a few words, but he's improving."

"That's good to hear! Have you seen your mother?"

"No, but she probably went off hunting."

Erick shrugged. "Figures."
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"I saw a figure and..." Duin started but he stopped as he heard steps approaching.

Sure enough it was Erick and the.....Duin couldn't recall what they called this other person, he knew it wasn't a family member in terms of blood. But they were a part of this house. He was going to respond to Erick when Dagny chimmed up first, Duin gave a nod to agree.

"Some words...merge." Duin added, giving a reasoning for the issues. "Isn't hunting a.....needed thing?"

Why was it bad if she was hunting? The way Erick made Duin think that they weren't happy with their wife hunting.
------------

The deeper forest was filled with many sounds, it grew slightly darker but sunlight persisted strongly and it broke through the gaps between branches and leaves. Letting those golden rays hit the forest floor and light up the area. This was a good distance away from the home and not many homes were located in the woods, even less so out this far. There was one though that Brenna knew the occupant in it.

An elk had been investigating a patch of land, it's focus on something in the grass that was probably bait. Any seasoned hunter or someone in the know about it would use such a thing. Hidden within the thick growth of bush and grass in this wilder area of land, someone was currently hiding. A bow was in their hands but the arrow wasn't knocked, they hadn't pulled one from their quiver yet. It was taking so much concentration to just sit there and not run out like a idiot. But the elk was there, within firing rang.....and yet he hesitated.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
"Yes, but she knows I don't like it when she goes without me." It was an odd thing for Erick to be upset over, but he did like going out to hunt with her. It was how they bonded in the first place to begin with.
-----------
Kohl-Brenna strolled down the pathway of knocked down bushes and brush as midday began to let the sun's ray filter through the leaves. When she noticed the elk, she slipped into the thicket and watched it as it seemingly sniffed the grass.

He has to be close, she thought. She didn't dare move if he was somewhere trying to hit the elk.
The dragon becomes me...