Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

Fragments of the World Eater (Pendragon)

Offline PendragonXeno94

• The Hoarder of Notebooks
    • View Profile
Dagny excitedly gripped his shoulders. "See? I told you you ciuld do it!" Turning to see her father return, she rose to her feet and rushed to him. "Papa! Where have you been?"

"Out for a walk," Erick replied, clearly soaked to the bone.

Dagny walked him inside and went to get a set of dry clothes for him.

Brenna ran a hand through his wer hair and kissed his cheek. "How's Eldrin?" she asked quietly.

"He seemed sick. All he wanted was to be in the hole in his basement. His bites looked infected."

Brenna shot him a concerning look. "That's impossible. Werewolves aren't supposed to get sick."

"Here, Papa," said Dagny as she handed him some dry clothes.

Erick smiled and took the clothes from her. "Thank you."
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"You were right." Duin replied.

Letting her rush off when she saw her father was back, Duin stayed put. He wasn't sure if he should leave or just go do something, so he opted to stay put. Their whispers were just barely understood by him. There was that name again, it was confusing. What was the importance of this Eldrin guy? Getting up from his spot, Duin slipped back into the house, looking for Dagny before spotting her.

"Hey, got a question for you." Duin started. "Whose this...Eldrin guy that everyone's been talking about since yesterday?"

It was a far question in his mind, not a intrusive one since..everyone was talking about him it seemed like in this house.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Once Dagny let her parents go inside, she turned to see Duin. She sighed when he asked who Eldrin was.

"My mother's friend," she said. "He used to go adventuring with her before she met my father. I don't what happened, but he got turned into a werewolf during that time. She thinks keeping me away would be better since... well, last night..."

She became visibly upset at the thought of it.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"Ah.." Duin started. "Well they're talking about him and I heard that he seems to have infected wounds, which isn't suppose to be a thing with...what he's been turned into. I don't know, I don't really know how werewolves work."

Duin honestly didn't know what he could do in this situation. All he heard was what they were talking about. He had no way of giving  a cure or help to a man he never knew, let alone a cursed person. It was just something that kept confusing him since it came up yesterday.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
"Well, I hope something will help him someday," she said as she sat on the steps. "I know there has to be something."

She looked at him with pitiful eyes.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"Doesn't the here and now matter far more for helping him? Apparently he's just lying in some hole in his home with bad injuries that appear infected, shouldn't the current priority be trying to patch him up?" Duin asked, tilting his head.

Soon he was taking a seat next to her, not sure on how to respond to those pitiful eyes. He had no answers to the bigger issue, hell he had no information to give. It was all just beyond his limited knowledge of things..at least, what he currently knew. Maybe prior to his memory loss, he knew something. Maybe he could've helped then. But that was all lost to  him for now.

"Besides, the meantime can be used for research. Isn't there any big cities or towns nearby with a big ol library?" Duin asked.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
"But that's the thing," she said. "My parents don't want me to see him because they're worried that he'll do something..." As Duin sat next to her, she sighed to herself as he asked her if there was a town with a library.

"Closest town is a day's trip." As much as she wanted to rush to the library and get her hands on whatever books she could, she couldn't just leave her parents and have them worry over her. "Besides, my mother said she looked all over for any books she could find. Nobody wanted to lend them to her."

Now she felt completely defeated. Her beloved uncle was in his house with an infected wound and she couldn't even go as she would risk her safety. And her parents would want to know how long she would be away and why.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
“Oh...” Duin muttered.

He didn’t know what to do, he couldn’t really comfort her since he knew that wouldn’t help. She needed answers. Not false hope and attempt of promises. He was at a great lose on this matter.

Two weeks passed and things seemed to go back to how they were. From what he heard eavesdropping, Eldrin made a recovery but from how it sounded it was a rough processes. Duin kept the tone it was said in out of what he told Dagny . Not wanting to upset her further.

Duin has been making himself useful around the place, often accompanying Dagny On her chores so he could learn more things. Some tasks were easy to grasp, others a bit more annoying but manageable. Something they all found out was his higher strength when he was sent to collect firewood with Dagny the first time. He was carrying the heavier of the logs that Dagny couldn’t get to split in half.

So it became common for him to go with her to collect firewood. Currently, the two of them were just finishing one of their trips. Duin was just finishing the pack of wood that Dagny would carry. Tying the knot so no pieces could roll out and escape.

“There. I think that’s good.” Duin said after one final tug of the rope.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Two weeks went by, and while Dagny was relieved to hear that Eldrin recovered, she couldn't help but worry over him. What if they couldn't get to him the next time? But she did her best to cast aside her dark thoughts as she helped Duin gather firewood. It helped her get to know him a little better, even if he didn't remember much of anything. She picked up her pack after Duin gave the rope a good tug.

"Well, getting firewood has been easier thanks to you," she said. "This should be enough for tonight." She hoped that her parents would be home before them so that she could try to improve her archery with her mother. "Maybe my father will help you getting your sword arm into shape."

Well, it was wishful thinking. He did a fire in him, it seemed... a literal one, at that.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"Glad to be of some useful service." Duin replied, smiling a bit more as he pulled on his firewood pack.

Honestly, he had been finding it rather nice here; at least when Dagny's mother wasn't looking at him like he was about to bust into flames and burn the house down. A nervous chuckle left him.

"Part of me wants to try and figure out if there's anything else I can do besides breathe fire. I mean I haven't breathed fire since that...incident with the sword piece..." Duin said, nervously scratching at his chin. "I mean, sure it's not a problem if I don't learn anything but..if I could control it rather than just keep it in, it would be a much faster way to do a fire wouldn't you say?"

It was true, whenever Duin grew frustrated enough or angry, smoke would rise from his throat. He would get close to spewing flames but it would stop right when he started to calm. Thanks to the word of power used on him that is.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Dagny smiled. While he seemed to like staying with them, she hoped her mother would stop looking at Duin like he was about to do something horrendous. "Well, controlling fire would be a good thing. Maybe even helpful."

At least if he had smoke coming out of him, she knew to use the word of power to calm him. Besides, she kind of wanted him to use his ability. Not necessarily on someone, but clearing brush or warming up the house.

"You think my parents are home?"
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"Indeed! If we got snowed in I could clear a path out the front door, or back one." Duin replied, giving a bit tooth grin. "Hm...well, where did they say they were going again?"

Duin knew that her parents had something important to attend to, though what exactly he didn't know. Surely they would've told Dagny the location? In case something happened and she could go look for them or ask a family friend to check on em? Plus it wasn't like they were going to be gone for weeks at a time. Wasn't it meant to be part of the day?

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Dagny laughed as he said he could clear a path if they were snowed in. "They went to the local jarl's palace," she said. "Something about they're celebrating the anniversary of the end of the civil war and they wanted to hold a feast in her honor." She shrugged. "And maybe rub Ulfric's defeat in my father's face."

She paused when she saw the front door was open. The steward was nowhere to be found and someone had tracked mud into the house. Sighing in frustration, she made her way to the door and noticed the inside was relatively untouched. "Odd. Maybe someone forgot to close the door." She put the pack of wood down and began walking around the house. Nothing seemed to have been misplaced.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"Ah, fancy event thing." Duin replied with a nod, showing he understood.

When they arrived at the house, the open door was a surprise. For a family that was so tight on many things, a stray open door was out of place. Brows narrowing as he tilted his head, not even removing the pack of wood from his back as Dagny headed in. A strange smell came to his nose, he hadn't noticed how strong some scents were to him. But this...this was a smell like the deep forest, a cavern like mildew smell. A hand reached to grab Dagny's shoulder, trying to halt her steps.

"Wait!" Duin whispered to her, scanning the empty house. "Don't you smell that?"

The muddy tracks were also out of the ordinary, letting his gaze focus on them. He noticed that these were of a poor quality in boots. What....what was this?

"Was the Steward suppose to go with them?" Duin whispered.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Dagny paused when Duin grabbed her shoulder. "I don't smell anything..." She shrugged at his next question. "Well, yes. He likes to go to those things. I guess he figured that we would be home long before them."

See the muddy tracks going toward the cellar, she moved to the door and opened it. She began to feel a pit in her stomach as she descended down the stairs.

The cellar remained untouched except for the display case... where her mother's sword used to be. "Oh no..." Rushing to the display case, she searched around it and the rest of the cellar as she ignored the teacks that led to the secret exit her parents put in.
The dragon becomes me...