Visionary Tales
If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

Fragments of the World Eater (Pendragon)

readlliea · 121 · 2315

Offline PendragonXeno94

• The Hoarder of Notebooks
    • View Profile
As Duin gave her an encouraging smile, Dagny went ahead and stayed just behind Eldrin. "They're doing alright," she said. "Mama doesn't really go out very often unless Papa goes with her. It's like she's too afraid to be away for very long. Sure, she'll go hunting or fishing on her own, but if she's more than an hour away from home she turns right around." It felt wonderful to be with him again! "She talks about you sometimes, too. She says that she wishes she could help you, but she blames herself for everything that happened."

She searched his gaze before seeing the faint tracks. "Looks like they headed towards the ruins further out," she observed.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"She knows the dangers of this country, Dagny." Eldrin gently replied. "She knows she has a family now, waiting for her to return if she heads out. She's grown to where she isn't taking unnecessary risks. Yes she is a strong warrior, experienced and skilled. And it's due to those things that she understands the dangers far better, when I met her she wasn't as cautious for every battle. She would throw herself into the thick of it and come out banged up but the victor."

It was true, Bre changed when she had Dagny. Sure she was slowly changing when she got closer to Erick but it was Dagny's birth that really cemented the change in; from Eldrin's understanding at least. Maybe his incident helped but not as must. A sigh let him as he heard that Bre blamed herself.

"We weren't aware of just what was in that cave...we knew it was bandits, we figured maybe a giant spider or a bear, maybe a troll would be in the lower levels. We...weren't expecting a werewolf..." Eldrin explained, pausing for a moment the memory couldn't help but worm it's way in.

The arena with the wolves was already strange enough, bandits were easy to deal with. Eldrin could recall using his magic to heal the two of them as well as to blast the bandits. But the area got colder and a large cage rested on a ledge. It was the middle of the day and yet there it was, that large creature that was let out by the bandit in there...Eldrin just couldn't move fast enough to avoid the thing plowing into him. Dagny's voice snapped him out of it thankfully, causing him to shake his head for a moment.

"It's always ruins..." Eldrin grumbled. "Their smell is heading that way from what I can tell. Giant spiders usually rest in them as well, so if you see a horrendous amount of webs in a section and you haven't found that sword, turn back. You did promise after all, the last thing that needs to happen is one of you getting poisoned and no one able to get to you in time."

"I get it, we promised after all." Duin butted in, trying to ease the worries.

"Sorry...I just...don't want something to happen to either of you that you could avoid." Eldrin reached for the area between his neck and his shoulder. "Trust me...it's a form of guilt that lingers a long time..."

He wished he was faster, that he was stronger. If he had just learned a defensive spell, he could've blocked the werewolf when it lunged from the high ledge. If he just used a shield or something else, he could've blocked it or at least done something to stop it from biting him. And Bre was living with the feeling of guilt that this was all her fault. Yes she preferred fast paced adventure, while he wanted to do the slow and calculated route. They were different but that was what helped them the most.  However something made him stiffen up, that smell...the mildew smell was being overpowered by something....metallic...coppery like...blood.

This stirred the beast and it's hunger, making him groan slightly as he  tried to push that smell out of his nose. But he couldn't, it was like a infectious scent. Duin tilted as he stood there.

"You okay there?" Duin asked.

"Blood....something...something's bleeding around here..." Eldrin responded, "It just...came out of nowhere though.."

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
"I know she does." Growing up and hearing what kinds of adventures her mother had, Dagny enjoyed every minute of Brenna's retelling of all things bold and dangerous. From her triumph over Alduin to fighting off Stormcloaks to even the one time she and Erick were trapped in an old ruin and fought their way through Falmer and draugr just to get to the exit... only to fight their way out of a bandit raid once they were outside.

As they approached the ruins, she turned to see Eldrin stiffen up and mention that he could smell blood. "What direction?"

Once he pointed to where he could detect the blood, she began to cautiously move toward it, her dagger out in case she needed to defend herself.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
Eldrin pointed to the right, not feeling up for speaking the direction; for fear of inhaling more of the smell and losing himself faster. As Dagny crept over to where he pointed, she'd spot a few arrows that had recently hit the dirt and soon enough she'd spot what looked to be a wolf laying on the ground. The blood was leaving it though it was strange how there was no yelp or bark from it.

"So what is it?" Eldrin asked as he stood there, not daring to move a step closer.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Seeing the wolf lying on the ground, she gently prodded its side with the dagger. "It looks like a dead wolf," she said. "Though it doesn't look like it's been here for more than an hour." Well, at least she hoped it was dead. She certainly didn't want to fight it off.

"Do you see anything there?" she called to Duin and Eldrin.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
Then why didn't I notice it sooner? Eldrin pondered, feeling his stomach twisting with the starting pangs of hunger despite his efforts to not breathe any air through his nose.

It was too late, he could already taste it on his tongue, the metallic smell was easy for his tongue to translate. Duin looked around, not seeing anything out of the ordinary. Weeds and brush blocked most of his view though.

"Nothing looks different here to me." Duin replied as he paced round the small spot that the group had been standing at.

"I..I should head back..." Eldrin muttered, looking around in unease.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
As Dagny returned, she saw that Eldrin looked a little pale as he told them that he should be heading back. Nodding sadly, she kept her distance as she looked at Duin. "Should we go inside then?"
------
"Brenna, you're not thinking clearly!" protested Erick. "Let's wait until suns-"

"I've waited long enough!" Brenna replied. "I'm going to find our daughter and bring her back!"

"You don't know if-"

"The note said enough for me! If anyone should retrieve the sword, it should be me!"
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"Yeah, I'm sure the bandits couldn't be too deep in by this point." Duin replied as he headed over to Dagny. "We just gotta walk the rest of the way to the door."

That was the easy part, the rest of it was going to be the tricky part. Such as finding the sword and getting it back home while trying not to die. Sure Dagny knew some moves and while Duin had his fire, a part of him doubted how...well, what was the word he wanted to use? Safe? Reliable? Hm...one of those two. He wasn't sure on how well his fire would aid them if he could control it long enough to direct it.
---------------

Eldrin hurried off, at first it was a fast walk but he was soon running through the brush. Trying his hardest to put as much distance between himself and the two young souls. That stupid wolf, why did there have to be something like that there? Why? Why kill the creature and just let the body rot there? He didn't know if the people took the pelt or not but the meat could still be used. Granted, Eldrin became a man who tried to use everything out of a animal when he caught it. His curse was that problematic.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
As they approached the door, Dagny moved to be in front of Duin. "Better keep your eyes open," she said. "We can't afford to lose our necks." Going in, she glanced around before slowly moving in, reaching to grab Duin's hand as they made their way in.

So far, there was no sign of life in here. All she could think of was that the bandits were likely further in...
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"No we can't.." Duin muttered.

With the door being opened slowly, Duin prepared himself mentally. He was a bit surprised to see Dagny reaching for his hand but he gave her the comfort she sought, taking her hand into his own. The main chamber seemed void of life though, a empty dark hole that made Duin...feel a sense of something. What was he feeling?Unease? A prison? Or....a desire to linger? It was such a strange feeling. Sort of how he felt in houses at first, he felt out of place in them. Yet in here, he didn't feel that way.

"Strange...." Duin added, letting his gaze scan the surrounding area.

He could see a hallway that lead deeper into this place but for the moment, he ignored it. Searching the tables with his gaze alone, spotting the old tattered pieces of parchment and wooden bowls. Strange how things are still intact down here, the mildew smell was stronger here.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Dagny glanced over her shoulder as she heard Duin mutter something. "What's so strange?" she asked. She pulled her shirt over her nose as the smell of mildew was strong. But with everything seemingly untouched, it felt as though it was much too quiet to her liking.

"You think they'd be further in?" she asked. Hopefully not too far in as she wanted to just get the sword and go home. She stared down the hallway for a moment before turning back to Duin.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
Duin tensed, how to explain how he felt? Would it make him weirder? Would the information make Dagny's mother hate him more? It was so hard to know. A uneasy sigh left him.

"They probably are...if they went after something as valuable as the Dragonborn's sword that is made out of some rare material, I think they'd be in as deep as they can be. That and if they're smart they know these halls and such and have the advantage." Duin answered as he walked over to her. "this...place just feels strange...that's all.."

Not quite the truth on that last part but it wasn't important.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Dagny nodded. "I see." Well, it made sense that the bandits would be as deep as they could be if they held something so valuable. Going a little further in, she could feel the air grow colder and the smell of mildew growing stronger.

As she took a step forward, she felt a floor tile sink from the weight of her foot and she yelped as she hopped back from the pendulums suddenly swinging from the wall in front of them.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"Careful!" Duin shouted as he rushed to her, thankful that the blade missed her. "We gotta look at the floor too while we walk."

Looking down the hall, he noticed the pendulms all continued to swing despite the tile not having weight on them. He gave a sigh as he spotted the lever that would turn the trap off; or at least he hoped that's what it did.

"Alright, it's stupid for both of us to go at the same time. One of us needs to be able to get past these blades and pull the lever." Duin started though he paused as a idea hit him. "Or....I could try to...."

Looking to the blades, he wasn't sure. Some part of him thought he could melt that metal but could he? And could he maintain control in order to keep the fire long enough to reach each blade? Looking up, he couldn't see what was allowing the pendulms to swing. No rope...okay.
---------------------

Eldrin had gotten home, slamming the door closed behind him as he took in heavy breathes of air. His body shaking as his heart pounded. Even so far away, the smell lingered. It was driving him up the walls! It was just a dead wolf....no...no there was something else in there. He hadn't mentioned it but he could smell human blood mixed in. Perhaps the wolf bite someone before it was killed? Possible, it was a faint smell...buried under all of that wolf stench. Still, the beast in him stirred and he shuddered.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 01:51:28 AM by readlliea »

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Dagny nodded. "Maybe you can melt the pendulums with your breath." It was risky, but it might end up being worth it. She didn't want to risk her neck trying to get across to pull the lever. But at the same time, she could try to use the Shout for sprinting past... despite the fact that she knew the Words but not really adept in using them.

As she took a step back, she waited to see what Duin would do before she decided to try and see what she could do.

"You good?" she asked him.
The dragon becomes me...