Visionary Tales
If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

Eternal Winter witihin Nome (Firesblood) M

readlliea · 351 · 5376

Offline Firesblood

• View Profile
Benjamin winced.  Once the door closed, he looked down at Caleb and made a funny face.  “I might have deserved that one.  What do you think, hm?” he asked playfully, ruffling the feathers on his head. 

--

Grey had a gun trained on him before he got within ten feet of her, eye fixing on him.  The moment she saw it was him, she slid it back into her holster with a sigh and returned to her observations, chewing away on the jerky again.  “No sir.  Two different groups of men cycle out every two hours—trade off to get warm, I ‘spect.  Not much traffic in or out aside from them, but it’s early.”

She lowered the spyglass again and adjusted her hat.  “The daytime perimeter is somewhere around a hundred feet from the pit itself.  Tight, but plenty of room to knock them out if it’s done quiet-like.  At night, the guard doubles and there’s a lot of people coming in—rough characters, the lot of ‘em.  More than I thought there would be.”   

Grey grabbed another piece of jerky and looked through the glass, shifting slightly to get a better view of the two currently circling below.  “Attacking during the day would be the best time to do it.  First two hours after sun-up.  Those were the slowest ones so far.” 

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
A sound left Caleb that was like a rolled hoot left them, almost as if agreeing with the man. The ruffling of his feathers caused a smile to appear on their face and they raised their pawish hands. Reaching for Benjamin's hand as they felt like  a game was being played.
--------

"Makes sense night is more guarded. Fights happen then and I also escaped at night, they probably beefed it up more due to the last part." Woodsly replied, easing himself down in the snow. "It's also when new.....'fighters' are brought in. They still bring some in during the day but night makes everything hard to see."

Seems like she had this all planned out. At least for the outside of the building. However...the inside was a whole new issue and finding her brother was going to be a needle in a haystack.

"sounds good, but what you plan on doing when you're in there? Even if you sneak in, you don't know where to look." He asked.

Offline Firesblood

• View Profile
“I don’t plan to sneak in,” Grey said, still watching.  “In fact, I’m going to make so much god damn noise that every man inside that place that isn’t chained down is going to come running out to see what’s going on.  Then, I’m going to shoot them.”  She shifted back away from the edge of the ridge, tucking her glass back inside her satchel. 

She finally looked at Woodsly, frowning.  “All due respect, sir, but…what are you doing here?  I mean, I appreciate the help, of course, but I told you before that I’d find you when I had the information I needed to move forward.  I’m not quite there yet, and there ain’t no sense in both of us freezin’ our asses off out here.”

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
"They're not that stupid my dear." Woodsly cautioned her. "There's going to be people down there that will stay and watch their 'merchandise', even more so when my escape is still relevant."

Why was he here? Well for one, he hadn't been to the shop lately. So there was no way for her to find him.

"The cold doesn't bother me, I was born here. Sure it can get cold but I've built a tolerance." Woodsly started. "I haven't been the shop the past few days, some personal things came up and I figured I'd check on you. Plus, I need to get out of the house, out of my own head."

Inner demons and all that. Leaning against the rock they were using for cover, he breathed out a plume of white breathe due to the weather.

"Unless you got cases of bullets, you'll either run out of ammo before you get all of em down or you could risk your gun jamming. Have you ever thought about some people just got desperate enough to do this horrendous job to support their families? Sure, most of the hired muscle are idiots and stupid as bricks. But...have you thought about the possibilities of things not being so black and white?" he added.

Offline Firesblood

• View Profile
Grey studied Woodsly for a moment, uncertain of whether to be grateful or annoyed, or if it was alright to be both.  He knew more about the pit than she did, but he didn’t know what she had available to her for use in this endeavor, or what she was planning—she’d done that on purpose.  More, his time in the pit had quite obviously messed with him, if his rant about the place when she first met him was anything to go by.  She suspected that his claims about the pit were made worse by fear and trauma—a natural reaction.  While she appreciated his concern, she didn’t care to be treated like some silly little girl who didn’t know what she was doing. 

“Sir, I know plenty about the things people do when they are desperate, and you don’t know me, so, I’ll let you in on a little something,” She said, keeping the same respectful tone she usually used with him.  “My daddy and my brothers used to be silver miners, until some rich son of a bitch stole our claim right out from under us and had us run out of town when we tried to fight him.  After that, my daddy tried to find work, but there just wasn’t much available—so he and my brothers started robbing banks and I used to help them plan.  I’ve got more tricks up my sleeve than Harry Houdini, and caches of supplies set up all over that I’ve been buildin’ up since I got here—all of which I’ve been moving near for use since I found this place.  Extra guns, ammunition, hell—I’ve even got dynamite and nitroglycerin I stole from the mining office.  Do you think those bastards down there are going to stay inside that pit when the explosives go off near enough to shake the foundations like an earthquake?  Cause I don’t.  They might be stupid, but very few people are that stupid.”

She hunkered back down at her lookout spot and peered through her glass again.  “I’m grateful for your help, sir, and I know that I must look awful young and inexperienced to you, but I know what I’m doing.  I’ve done work like this most of my life.” 

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
“Aren’t you living in black and white?” Wilson’s voice asked, though Woodsly merely took a breath.

Grey went on to explain her past, how she had done something akin to this before, blah blah. Woodsly listened, letting her get it all out before even thinking of replying. A bank was different from the pits, live ’gold’ to put it. A stray bullet could lodge into her dear brother before she found him or she might not recognize the prisoner bleeding out with a fresh bullet to the gut that was her torn apart brother, already near death from hunger.

But....you know what? Fine. Woodsly glanced over the ledge, certain he wouldn’t be spotted if he got up, he rose to his feet as he put his hands into his pockets.

“Very well, sounds like you got it handled.” Woodsly replied as he started to walk in the direction and of Nome.

He still had to pick up nails.