Visionary Tales
If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

Beauty was the Beast (w/ readilliea)

Offline PendragonXeno94

• The Hoarder of Notebooks
    • View Profile
Fifteen years. Full of pain, loss, hopelessness. Time was a blur. Her pain was a blur. Even with her supposedly being the most eligible bride in the land, she concealed herself in her manor. Her wings torn and ragged, all color faded from them. Her hair, once sleek and tangible, now dark and wild. Fangs flashed every time her lips parted. Half her face burned and scarred. Once bright eyes no longer carried light in them. Mangled fur covered her body and her hair covered half her face.

Even the monstrous men of her village didn't dare to come forth and see her. It was all she could do to cling on to her last sliver of faith.

Resting on the rooftop, she cast her eyes upward toward the night sky as the stars twinkled and the bats danced in the air. She sighed to herself as she thought on all the what-ifs. It was no use, but she couldn't help herself. Her family abandoned her, as did her friends. There was still no word from the man responsible for her misery. Another sigh escaped her before she slipped through her bedroom window and curled up in her bed, wiping away silent tears as she covered herself with her blanket.

"Mistress?" someone called.

She lied still.

"Mistress?"

Still not giving a response, she waited until the footsteps faded so she could close her eyes and try to sleep.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
There wasn't quite a need for his human form but then again, Inle did like it. He preferred to not flash everyone with his colorful wings nor accidentally hit them with em. Being one of the Mothfolk, he was basically just a large insect like being based around any possible species of moth. For Inle, he held a strong similarity to the Atlas Moth, one of the largest silkworm moths there was. Even in human form he sported some rusty red hair that looked fluffy and normally he tried to tame this hair by making it into a long ponytail, wrapping a white bandage over it and letting a tuft at the end stick out. Sadly being a Mothfolk, it meant he had a strict diet and many things were off the menu. His human form was gaunt and thin, yet he was desired. His thin build and tall height was seen as marks of beauty to many monsters who wanted a more delicate looking lover to compliment their own might.

But it was truly in his real form that he was desired for. His beautiful wings, the softness of his fur, and the way it gave him a near unreal look. Mothfolk sadly were rare in these parts, he'd been adopted by a family here and brought over from some other land. How they managed this, he hadn't a clue. Perhaps it was due to their higher standing here? They weren't rich but they were very well off.

"Come on Inle, can't you show us those pretty wings?" A rough voice asked before they burst out laughing.

Ah the drunkards that frequented the area outside of the tavern as well as in it, he could only smile as he shrugged his sharp shoulders.

"Sorry, I have to get some work done. Can't have those large things out in enclosed spaces after all." Inle replied before quickly walking off.

His long legs carried him swiftly away without having to break into a run. He wore simple pants and shoes, a offwhite long sleeved shirt with a blue vest over it. Cooper buttons kept the blue material closed. Now even in human form, his second pair of arms liked to stay put, the insect like appendages were curled in at his waist. Keeping a clutch of books and scrolls against his stomach.

Now working for the library in town was a job he preferred but even he had to keep up a second job since not everyone was into the books and scrolls of old. With this items in tow, the walk home had started. At one point he felt the air was changing..it turned colder. A stronger gust of wind...was a storm coming? He had to get home quickly, the rain was something he didn't want to get on the important items he had. Unbutton his vest and removing it, he shoved it into his bag as well as the scrolls he could fit without damaging. His long sleeved shirt had four holes in it for where his large wings could easily slip through whenever he let them out.

Only partially shifting, the large brownish red wings emerged with their memorizing pattern. Taking to the skies, he had opened his plan would've worked. Twenty minutes in and the storm had blow him off course, slamming him into a tree as a pained cry left him. It was carried along the wind, possibly to any open window. Falling to the ground after hitting some branches, Inle landed in a heap on the ground. Gasping as his other moth attributes emerged, his antenee were jostled by the strong wind, he looked even thinner. His hair had grown in volume and length, breaking free of the makeshift ponytail and going down his back. His upper right wing had a tear in it; something that would heal in time but his ability to fly was gone for now.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
A few servants glanced out the window before spotting something... or rather someone... collide with a tree and land in a heap. They rushed out with blankets covering their heads and found him with a torn wing and jousted antennae. One offered their hand as the other two covered him and walked him in once he was on his feet. As they walked him to one of the nearby rooms and got a fire going, one servants rushed to his mistress's door.

"Mistress, mistress!" he cried.

She brought her head up, her hair more tousled than before and her eyes blinking owlishly. "What?"

"There's a man-"

The door swung open and she leapt into the air. Sticking to the darkness, she sat just above the man and tilted her head curiously. She hadn't seen his kind before, and it seemed that he got lost in the storm. Poor thing. If he could be of any help to her...

"Mistress," whispered the servant. "Let the poor man rest. You can speak to him to the morning."

"Sh." She kept her index finger up for a moment. "I want to get a good look at him."
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
Being slammed into a tree by a strong gust of wind hurt, it disoriented the Mothfolk and when he saw people approach, there was a mixed feeling on what to do. He was in pain and a damaged wing wouldn't help him get home now. His thin hand reached and accept the help up, he groaned as he felt more pain fill him. The blanket drapped over him was something he didn't even notice.

Long legs gave out when he got close enough to the bed within this room, sinking to his knees as he breathed heavily. His wings were easily sticking out from under the blanket, the torn one twitched as the nerves were still reacting to the pain. He needed to retract them, to take on his human form but right now, he was too out of it. Using a hand to pull himself up, the blanket slid off of him and fell to the floor. Revealing his thin form and the instect like second pair of arms at his waist. Taking a seat on the bed, he rubbed his eyes.

"W..here....." Inle muttered groggerily.

His antenne twitched, sensing others here but he wasn't in the mood to twist his body around. Everything hurt.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
"Mistress, please," the servant quietly begged. "Let him rest."

She said nothing as she studied the man from afar. Stewing in silence for a moment, she decided to stay where she was. "It's alright," she said, her voice raspy and deep. "You're safe."

The servant sighed to himself as he left the room.

"I'm sorry you were caught in the storm and got hurt. You're welcome to stay..."
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
Surprised by the voice, his wings flared up and he he winced. Groaning as the pain from the tear in his upper wing went down and into his back. He stumbled off the bed and shuddered, looking for the source of the voice but not finding anyone since the Mistress was well hidden. Letting his wings droop behind him, he took a few uneasy breathes.

"I thought...I could get home before it hit. Seems I choose a poor course of action to try and fly." Inle replied, trying to give a smile but his disoriented state didn't let it appear.

Glancing to his wing, he took note of the damage. Yeah...it was just as bad as it felt. This was going to take a while to heal...crap.

"Thank you, for your hospitality." Inle added as he looked around the room. "I'm afraid I don't have a way to repay you.."

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
She shook her head as she seemed to have startled him and watched him fall out of bed. Even if he needed to get home... well, his wing needing to heal seemed as good of an excuse as any.

"There's no need to repay me," she said. "But it might be best that you stay until your wing is healed. Those things need time and rest." Remaining in the shadows, she ran a hand through her hair as she tried to think of something else to say. "If there's anything you need, my servants will take care of it."

As much as she wanted to step out, she didn't want to frighten him and possibly chase him away.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
“R...right..” Inle replies, pulling himself back into the bed.

His wings twitched and while he wanted to hide them from sight, he couldn’t really do that. His body wouldn’t let him. Sinking dm down to his chest, his eyes started to close as he was drifting off.

“Okay...I...I understand.... than...” Inle started but quickly found himself passing out at last.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Once he was asleep, she returned to her room.

"Amaryllis?" one of the servants said.

"What is it now?" she snarled.

"Perhaps you could show yourself to the young man in the morning."

She pursed her lips. "Perhaps not. He would only run off if I tried."

"But you don't-"

"I know that. Just... I need some rest."

"Of course, Mistress."
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
Once the morning had come, Inle awoke slowly. Groaning as he pushed himself up off the bed and he went to check his wings, only to see they weren't sticking out of his back. Good. That meant that during his sleep he went into human form. It was a bit of a relief, as now he knew his wings were safe and the injuried one would start healing better. Having them out while damaged only made the process slower and more painful. Still, he would have back pain until it was healed. The trade off if you wanted to view it that way.

Rising from the bed, he prushed all the powdery like substance off his clothes and tried to do so for the blanket and sheet. Even the Mothfolk had the powdery stuff on them as did normal moths. Some people didn't like it, it did get everywhere. A sigh left him though as he did the best he could; granted just made the stuff fall to the floor and get stuck to his hand.

What to do now? He wasn't sure if he should go to the door or not. After all, he was a guest here and he had to recover. Some would try to tell him to stay put in the room to heal. Hm...tricky choice.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Amaryllis began to stir as she stretched her wings and slumped out of bed. Running on little sleep as usual, she returned to the man's room to see what he was up to. She stuck to the shadows, watching him contemplate leaving the room.

She then went to the hallway where she turned the doorknob and opened it ever so slightly before running off. She couldn't afford another one to run away. Not when he had to stay to make sure his wing recovered.

A young servant happened to walk by when she spotted the man out of bed. "Oh! Just in time," he said. "Breakfast is ready."

Amaryllis rolled her shoulders as she swooped to the dining room and picked up a few things before concealing herself in the darkest corner of the room.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
The door knob turned and as Inle turned his gaze to look, he watched the door come to a end in it's motion of opening. How had that? A look of confusion was on his face. Surely there was no draft strong enough to pull that open right? Granted, he didn't know the state of this place but he was certain that the door shouldn't be able to open on it's own .He heard the door knob turning right? Or was that a different sound?

This matter didn't last long since someone was walking by and mentioned that breakfest was ready. Oh dear....how many weird looks would he get with this? Still he gave a friendly smile as he pulled his vest out of his bag and slipped it over his shirt; just to hide the holes in the shirt for his wings.

"Thanks." Inle said as he followed the individual.

Upon reaching the table where many items of food rested, Inle felt bad about what he knew he was going to have to do. It took a great deal of running the old words through his head, but after a few minutes of grabbing a single cup of water that he procedded to put sugar in, the weird look he got finally helped him to speak up.

"I...I can't...eat a lot of normal food....due to my species." Inle started, though he was stumbling over his words. "Since normal moths live off of nectar, it's kind of translated to us. Nectar is pretty much sugar water, so I can eat sugary things. I...I honestly can eat flowers too but I...I didn't want to make it weirder..."

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Amaryllis watched him curiously from the darkness as he put sugar in his water and explained that he can only eat sugary things. She rested her chin on home large hand as she pondered it over for a moment.

"Would you fetch him something he can eat?" she asked.

The servant nodded and left to get Inle something he could eat.

"Forgive me," she said to him, "I don't normally show myself to guests. Wouldn't want them having a heart attack."
The dragon becomes me...

Offline readlliea

• View Profile
Truthfully, he was expecting some sort of confused or weirded out expression from the servant. Before they could muster a change in expression though, that voice emerged once more. Causing his antennae to raise up and twitch. These things were useful but all they really did was help his senses be higher. They picked up on vibrations and such basically. It gave him no real heads up on what the owner of the voice looked like and well, he was surprised.

"Oh, it's fine. " Inle replied. "Um...well hiding my wings for my reasons don't really have the same weight as that reason..."

Rubbing the back of his neck, Inle hunched his shoulders a little. Struggling to think of what he could say to that type of response. He hide his wings as he didn't want people to constantly remark about them, that was nothing similiar to this person's situation. He was caught offguard by this and a little afraid. If the Mistress of the house thought that about their own looks...well, he was worried anything he'd say might make her feel hurt or angered.

"Did you...sleep well?" Inle asked, hoping that making a new conversation could help.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
She sighed to herself as he seemed to try to carefully word things in order to avoid offending her. But she was relieved that he wanted to change the subject. "I hardly slept," she said. "It's nothing new for me."

The servant brought out some things Inle could eat and left without another word.

"I hope you slept well."
The dragon becomes me...