Visionary Tales
If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

The Spy[m]aster

Offline PendragonXeno94

• The Hoarder of Notebooks
    • View Profile
Isao looked over the map a fifteenth time. He already obtained the trade route for the Hanamura family, and he couldn't be any more excited. His prince could use it to his advantage and sabotage their supplies. Seeing how Prince Hikurai was understandably upset over them killing his favorite concubine, he was more than obliged to help him seek revenge.

His blue and gray flecked brown eyes glanced over the map before he moved the pieces to pinpoint where the supply caravan would be. Light gray hands gingerly over the paper before pulling away. Long raven hair was pulled back into a ponytail, showing off his short horns that protruded from his forehead. And small, sharp fangs were on full display, though only just the tips were in view.

"Ah, Uneo!" A richly dressed man said as he entered the war room, his angelic wings spread open. "Any luck on that tip?"

"Yes, Your Grace," Isao replied. "The Hanamuras will be sending their caravan through this valley and attempting to go through the mountains. If we can position some men along the base of the mountains when they rest for the night and sabotage their wagons, the head of the family will have no choice but to send his second son to check on them."

"Very good!" Hikurai patted Isao's back, his long hair freely cascading over his wings as his dark eyes glanced over the planned route. "Let me know if you find out anything else. Perhaps we can find a secret that the old man is hiding or uncover an assassination plot."

Isao rolled his eyes. "Wow, I never uncover assassination plots... My job is so boring."

"Oh, quit the sarcasm! You enjoy it! It's better to stop someone from killing a figurehead than to do the deed." Hikurai shook his head. "Go get some fresh air. You look like you need it."

Bowing, Isao exited the room and headed toward the bustling marketplace and pier. He had only lived in the capital of Okaona for ten years, and he somehow got appointed as spymaster after being in the prince's service for a year. Granted, it was a better life for the oni than being with a man who would try to beat him into submission and try to have him detach himself from all emotion. He had access to all the secrets he could unveil and knew the ins of outs of this city... and beyond. But with Hikurai looking for a wife, it had him wondering if he was meant to have his own hand to hold. Though, he was already approaching his mid thirties and he was nowhere near being intimate than he was years prior.

For the time being, he was content with providing for his prince and enjoying his off time.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline Kei

• View Profile
Evanna Rose Lancaster; youngest and only princess of the kingdom of Duvaria. Of course it was all over the gossip mill that she'd disappeared but considering how she'd changed her appearance she doubted they'd ever find her.  Her previously long locks were cut short and well above her shoulders, and she'd used magic to hide her ears and the bright shine of her green eyes had been dulled. She had tattoos now proudly on display on her right arm and shoulder and carried a sword along with her drawing utensils.

She was an air pirate and proud of it. Her magic had helped her along in this path she'd chosen for herself and she would never go back to the life she'd led before. She coveted her freedom much too much for that. She was happy to look the way she felt was most like herself now, instead of the constraining corsets and dresses. She felt beautiful and powerful and definitely was never going back.

Today though, saw them docking in a town to gather some supplies before they took off again. She was only a bard to them, but she still loved each and every one of them. DeLune was the captain and an interesting woman to deal with. She was a pirate, yes, but they only took from those that deserved it. They disliked authority but didn't break the laws in towns or hurt innocent people.

Grinning to herself, Evanna took a deep breath of fresh air as she moved along the docks to restock her supplies. Adjusting her pack, she gave a short whistle of sound and felt a soft weight on her shoulder as her familiar and best friend Gif landed. Gif was a fae bird and often spoke telepathically to her and no one else. She'd found him as a chick and saved him from life in a cage. She loved him and their bond was very close.

She heard DeLune call out to her about when they'd be leaving and waved her captain away; knowing she wouldn't be left behind. "See you later, Captain, your bard is going to restock her supplies. Don't worry, I won't get lost or forget to come home." The woman scowled at her then waved her off, used to this by now. Evanna - Eva to her friends - grinned over her shoulder then headed into the nearby marketplace to do her shopping. Oh but she did love this life she led.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Isao was still scanning the crowd as he weaved his way through. He paid little mind to the ship that had docked. They were most likely resupplying and then heading back out, like the ships before them. He could make out the model of ship they used, and even though he could decipher that this was a pirate ship, he let them be. So long as they didn't cause trouble, that was good enough for him. But before he turned a corner, he saw a young woman making her way through the market.

He wasn't sure what happened. Something instantly and strongly drew him to her as if he were a moth and she was the flame. It was like he had known her before and yet he knew he had never seen her before. Perhaps he knew her in another life. Still, he had to speak to her. If only just once.

He reached to gently touch her shoulder. "I hate to bother you, miss," he said, "but I couldn't help but notice your little friend." That certainly didn't catch his attention, but he had to play it off somehow. "Is this a fae bird by any chance? We don't have many of those around here."

He knew. He knew he probably sounded like a total idiot to her with the way he kept going on. But anything to catch her gaze and have her even acknowledge his existence was good enough for him.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 02:54:41 PM by PendragonXeno94 »
The dragon becomes me...

Offline Kei

• View Profile
The sudden and unexpected touch cause a flash of alarm to go through Evanna and she jolted back and away, throwing out her opposite arm where Gif shifted to so he wouldn't fall and pulling out a dagger to defend herself with as her familiar made a hissing sound and her own green eyes flashed with defiance. Upon putting space between them she realized he wasn't someone from her kingdom - wrong sort of magic - and slowly dropped her defensive stance though her eyes betrayed her caution and suspicion of this person. "It's very rude to touch someone when you don't have permission and don't know them, Sir." Her tones were sharp but melodic, a hint at her ancestry she couldn't shake. Still, she wasn't going to be backed down by this stranger.

She looked to Gif as he settled back on her shoulder and pressed close to her cheek, his own distrust seeping into her mind through their bond. This man could be all sorts of things from a vagabond to an exotics trader looking to get Gif from her by any means necessary. Still, they had an agreement with this kingdom not to attack innocent people in exchange for safe passage and she wasn't about to ruin that for her captain and crewmates. Taking a deep breath, she tried again with the given topic.

"He is, yes. Gif is my familiar." At least that much wasn't dangerous to say as owls like Gif were known to choose who they would regardless of race so her looking human didn't mean he wouldn't have chosen her. Still, this entire situation had her uneasy. Mentally bracing herself, she knew she'd have to end this conversation fast for her own safety and Gif's. "I don't imagine you see any around here, they're very reclusive and only come into the mainland area to choose a life-partner amongst the populace. He just chose me is all."

Her mind was racing now, how did she make him go away? She could just excuse herself and leave it there, that would work. Still, some part of her felt there was a reason for this meeting but she didn't trust the feeling as a good thing so she needed to get out. this man wasn't safe for her to be around. So she rose her eyes up to his and let the striking green touch his own darker eyes in a locked stare for a long moment; letting herself adjust to the strange shock the action caused her before dropping her head and stepping back again. Her tone was concise and to the point when she excused herself.

"Now then, if that's all you wanted Sir, I have errands to run before my crew sets sail again. If you'll excuse us and good day to you." Something deep inside her, some instinctual magic, told her she'd met this man before some where. When she pressed the not-quite-a-memory all she got in return is blood and pain and terror and betrayal. So then, it hadn't been a good thing when they'd met so it's best that she forgot. Or else...maybe she was picking up on a memory of his but that was none of her business.

Moving passed him she returned the touch he'd given her with a gentle hand brushing down his arm as she passed him by. There, now they were even since he hadn't asked permission to touch her she didn't have to ask to touch him this time. It made her point, and let her make herself scarce in the busy streets of the marketplace. What a strange man. She felt Gif nudge her head and felt his inquiry through her mind. She shrugged. "I dunno who he was Gif, but you know how I feel about people touching me without permission. He deserved the same rudeness in return." Gif hooted at her, the sense of smug amusement coming from him and making her snort with laughter. Silly bird.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Seeing her turn and pull a dagger out, he reached for his katana before the tension left her. "I apologize..." he said as he lowered his hand. "I didn't mean to be intrusive." He knew she didn't exactly trust him, but it was best to try and show that he meant no harm. As she told him that her bird chose her as his life partner, he nodded. Though before he could say anything else, she walked past him and brushed her hand down his arm. He made a note of where she went and he decided that, for the time being, he would let her be before he tried to approach her again.

As he thought of where he had seen her before, all he could think of was a lifeless body and he was clutching it. Pushing the dark thought away, he lingered along the edge of the marketplace before he went to the dock where he sat and stretched.

Well, today proved to be quite interesting. First, he found the trade route for Hikurai, and now he ran into what felt like a ghost. But he was still drawn to her, and he would at least get her name before she departed. Scanning the horizon every now and then, he pondered over what he was feeling, and why he felt such a strong connection to her.

But once she appeared again, he decided to let his presence be known instead of reaching out for her. "Miss..." He give her a small bow. "I apologize for bothering you again, but I couldn't help but notice you when I was leaving the castle grounds earlier. I know my initial approach was less than welcome, but I wanted to have a chance to speak with you." He extended a hand, knowing that it was a custom for foreigners to shake hands. "My name is Isao Uneo. I am under the service of Prince Hikurai as a trusted advisor." Well, technically he was one for Hikurai, though his work was more secretive. He already knew this wouldn't be the last time he saw her, otherwise he would have let her be to begin with.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline Kei

• View Profile
It took a few hours before Evanna felt more like herself again and tension eased from her gate to be replaced by an effortless sort of grace that marked her as other than she appeared. It was when she was heading back towards the ship that trouble came again. Gif gave a sharp sounded warning through her mind and she stopped in her tracks as the man from before again called out to her. She scowled, green eyes sharp and not at all willing to deal with an idiot. She stared at his hand as he offered it and curled her own behind herself, glowering at him. Her tone was sharp with warning when finally she spoke, so clearly she didn't think this was a coincidence. "I don't shake hands, it's too easy to have your lifeforce stolen that way. Now, how about you tell me what you want from me, Uneo."

She knew he'd been waiting for her; could feel it in the press of him against her magic. She wanted nothing to do with him. Even worse, he was in service to the crown which she also didn't like. Those that served a crown tended to be sympathetic to it, after all, and he would be the sort to try and make her go back to her home kingdom. She valued her freedom too much for that. So she'd use his name that he'd foolishly given to her but she'd be damned if she gave him her's...or well her actual name. "I doubt we'll see each other again, but if it'll make you go away you can call me Rose. Under service to Captain Amora DeLune of the Confederation of the Sky."

That marked her as an Air Pirate but it wasn't illegal so long as they were careful so best to give him that information since they travelled enough it wouldn't let him find her easily. For now she held his gaze steadily; her expression closed off as it ever was. If he thought throwing his title around would impress her he had the wrong girl. Maybe that would make him go away. "I'm sure there are others out there more than willing to entertain you, Sir, but I'm not one of them. So unless you have actual business with me I'll be on my way back to my ship." They'd leave in the morning and this man would be a bad memory. Gif hooted at her, his mind strong and curious against her's even as he gave her quiet inquiry in the form of the vague images she'd gotten before.

He wanted to know what those were about; she did too honestly but now was not the time so she merely turned her nose into the familiar feathered form and breathed in his familiar scent slowly to steady herself. She was an Air Pirate, after all, she didn't make it a point to entertain royals or their lackeys. So what exactly did this man want from her? She'd rather go back to the ship but something told her he'd follow her so she stayed put until she could make him go away.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Isao pulled his hand back as she said she didn't shake hands. When she gave him a name, he chuckled to himself. "I doubt that's your real name." Something told her that it wouldn't be the last time they saw each other. "And you realize that I can easily use your captain's name and her ship against you. Technically speaking, I can easily divulge some secrets and give them to the prince. Though I doubt you'd want that."

He was certainly an intuitive one. "I suppose you're like me and value your freedom after escaping an undesirable fate." Though it seemed she had a feisty spirit, he couldn't help but wonder what was going through her mind.

He sighed, his gaze softening a little more. "Look, I know you don't want to be bothered, but I feel like I've seen you somewhere before. I know we've never met and I sound crazy for saying this, but it feels as though I knew you in a previous life. I don't know, but..." Now he was rambling. He took a few deep breaths as he knew he never rambled on like this. With one more deep breath, he continued. "I just... wanted to speak to you. I'm not trying to impress you or anything, I just wanted to have a moment with you. I can promise you if anything comes up involving you or your crew, I won't say a word. And I usually don't slack off as a spymaster."

Well, since she outed herself as an Air Pirate, there was no use in hiding what he really did. They needed to keep things even, after all.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline Kei

• View Profile
Evanna only leveled her cool gaze towards the stranger, not caring what he thought one way or another. She snorted darkly at his comment about finding her with her captain's name. "Being an Air Pirate isn't illegal so don't speak as if you're going to do something that will cause me trouble because unless we break the treaty with this kingdom we are well and safe. So tell your precious prince whatever you want, he knows we're here and why, we have nothing to hide." She tilted her head, clearly prideful, but unwilling to back down.  She wasn't afraid of this man that thought he could pull one over on her because he was some prince's pet spymaster; if anything he gave away too much information.

She wasn't unperceptive though and was listening to him. She could feel Gif's emotions about putting this man in his place and grinned to herself at the commentary from her familiar. "I think you're grasping at straws trying to throw your weight around for no apparent reason. I don't care who or what you are, Sir, and I don't need your promises about saying anything about my crew. You clearly don't know what an Air Pirate is if your first thought is that we aren't safe to be her. We are our own nation, we aren't illegal anymore. I'm proud of what I am and have no reason to hide it." He made himself look stupid for not knowing these things but she wasn't going to tell him so.

The rest of his commentary was nonsense and she rolled her eyes again wondering if he'd hit his head or something. Gently she ran a hand over Gif to steady herself before just being blunt. "Okay, several things, the name Rose does belong to me just not my first name. The rest you haven't earned yet so that's all you'll get from me name wise. Do you realize how much of a bad line 'I feel like we've met before in a previous life.' sounds like? Even if that's true the only thing I'll agree to is that if we met before it wasn't under good circumstances at all. So just stop bothering. My fate or choices that led to it are none of your business. As far as you're concerned I'm a random woman you met on the streets of the market. And you aren't making a good impression let me tell you what."

He said he wasn't trying to impress her but promising not to use his title as spymaster against her crew was, in fact, him trying to impress. She ran a free hand through her hair before keeping her no-nonsense commentary going; even if she did sort of thing his random bout of randomly was sort of cute. "I don't appreciate you threatening me, by the way, and that's what your comment about divulging secrets was it was a threat. We don't belong to this kingdom, so we don't fall under the rule of your precious prince. So if you want something from me, be honest and tell me what. I don't have time to mince words with you; Spymaster." Her free spirit would always demand she keep moving so she really didn't have time for this nonsense.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
He rubbed his eyes with one hand. He knew he sounded like an idiot. He never sounded like an idiot. Was he this out of touch speaking with a woman? Letting her go on, he simply shook his head. "I know how bad what I said sounds," he said. "You don't need to remind me." Finally, he couldn't take her going on like this anymore.

"Stop," he said plainly. "Let me explain." He brought his gaze up to meet hers and took a deep breath. "I'm sorry. I've been so involved with my work I haven't had time to speak to anyone outside of it, let alone a woman. I just... saw you and wanted to talk to you. And I made myself look completely foolish. You have every reason to be angry with me." He paused, focusing on her features for a moment before he spoke again. "May I say you have the most vibrant looking eyes I've ever seen?"

There. His charm was coming back, if only just. A smile crossed his lips, showing off his fangs more, and his lower canines barely curled upward to touch his upper lip. "And you must be a good person if you have your little friend with you. And..." He looked at her shoulder. "Whoever did that knew what they were doing." Well, even if he started off on the wrong foot, he wanted to at least regain a little traction.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline Kei

• View Profile
Evanna raised her eyebrow at the clearly flustered male before her. She blinked quietly at his attempt at an explanation then raised her other eyebrow at him in clear disbelief as he then shifted from trying to explain himself to trying to compliment her eyes. Really now, how could anyone be so socially inept as to believe anything coming out of his mouth was appropriate? It grated on her, but she held it in as she knew she'd never get him to go away if she didn't deal with this carefully.

She tilted her head to the side as he decided to try his hand at being charming. She snorted in amusement as he picked her familiar as a topic then the large tattoo covering her arm and shoulder. She turned her head to look at Gif who sent her his quiet annoyance at this stranger's continued presence. She ran a gentle hand over her familiar to soothe him before considering the man again. He was clearly an idiot, and by the looks of him an Oni. She fought the urge to crinkle her nose up at him and only just managed it.

She considered her tattoo and shrugged. "That was a wright of passage for joining the Air Pirates. They wouldn't let anyone mark others that couldn't do so correctly." She eyed him again and wondered what his angle was so she decided to just go ahead and ask. "Look, I don't know what you think you're doing in talking to me other than trying to exercise your clearly nonexistent charms, so whatever it is lets just be done with it so you can stop making an idiot of yourself." She ran a hand through her hair, throughout put upon.

He felt he knew her from somewhere, this led him to wanting to be close to her or talk to her. Yet he seemed to be dragging this on like it was important; it made no sense. "Try being clear about what it is you want. If it's conversation, fine, but my ship leaves in a few hours. If that's what it takes to make you stop coming after me then fine, I'll give you a bit of my time before we part ways. If it's your intention to work on your flirting, sorry but you've failed spectacularly already and I'm not of the mind to teach you to be any better at it."

She looked him over and considered all options, raising an eyebrow at him again. "If it's your intention to work out some frustrations I'm sure there's a brothel better suited to that than I am, but if you're just determined I can humor you since you  aren't bad looking I suppose. Just...I hate people that say one thing and mean another. Speak plainly to me,  you'll get further." And that was all she was helping him.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
"I see." He sighed to himself, knowing he was failing spectacularly at that moment. When she told him to just speak plainly, he sighed. "Alright..." She was probably going to laugh at him, but she did say to speak plainly. "I think you're very beautiful and would like to get to know better. But if you have to leave in few hours, I understand. I just hope that you'll at least let me have some sort of chance."

He took another deep breath. "Sorry, I'm not used to talking about anything outside of work. But I assure you that I'm not looking to jump into bed with you or steal you away from something you clearly love. I just... wanted to talk to you." Really, could she fault him for that? And he wasn't about to say that he knew that he was going to marry her someday. He didn't need things to be any more awkward than what they were.

It was bad enough he made things worse than what they needed to be.

Still... She had a strong spirit, and he liked that about her. Now it remained to be seen if she would actually leave or stick around. He didn't need another potential relationship to blow up in his face.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline Kei

• View Profile
Evanna blinked then snorted with amusement as the first honest thing came from the mouth of her companion. Alright, so he was attracted to her and wanted to spend a bit of time with her until she left. She could do that. Nuzzling against Gif for a moment she rose her arm into the air for a moment before giving him the impression of letting the captain know what she was doing and launching him into the air. She also knew that if this situation went pear shaped it was better he wasn't with her.

Moving back to her companion, she decided it was amusing to fluster him and reached out to grab one of his hands with both of her's pulling him along the path back towards the marketplace. "C'mon then, if time is what you want I can give you some of that. Let me show you this city the way we Air Pirates see it. I promise you won't regret it." It was a few hours, then she'd be done with him. Still, the vibrant light in her eyes said she was excited to let him see her world that way she did it. Gif was safe, and she could escape if she needed to, so this would be fine. In the meantime she'd have fun flustering this idiotic man.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Seeing her decide to go along with it, Isao allowed her to send her familiar back to the ship before feeling her grab his hand. "A-Alright." He wasn't too sure what she meant, though he at least had some way to defend himself should the need arise. Though something told him that it wouldn't be necessary. She seemed so full of life and so sure about herself. If only he were half as bold...

As he let her pull him along, everything felt like a blur as they weaced their way through to wherever it was that she wanted to take him. He didn't dare ask her where she had in mind. He was only just able to get her to spend time qith uim, and he wasn't about to screw things up again.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline Kei

• View Profile
Evanna was secretly amused with just how flustered this strange man was by her being a little bit bold. It wasn't even over the top as far as she was concerned but it was funny still and she couldn't help but enjoy herself with teasing him. She grinned to him and pulled him along through a hidden passageway that she had to open by pressing a hand against an old bit of stone and putting a little burst of magic into it so that the passage opened up to reveal what was beyond. Inside was another marketplace but this one held people from all walk of life and cultures. This was the Pathway Marketplace, it connected several of the kingdoms and allowed for quick passage between to those that knew the secret.

He wouldn't know about the secret passages or what magic made it work, and she wasn't going to tell him. Instead she was showing him a place that was previous to her because it had given her the freedom she'd always longed for. It was also at this marketplace that she'd first heard Gif calling to her. Her entire being lit up as she kept one hand on her temporary companion so she wouldn't lose him as she interacted warmly with the venders and her fellow shoppers. She laughed at things she was told, shared gossip and general harmless secrets, and caught up on the news from the larger Confederate of the Sky Nation and her fellow Air Pirates. She was clearly in her element and enjoying herself, but she kept a firm hand on his and led him along; introducing him here and there by his last name as she herself called him that way.

When she didn't feel threatened, it was clear she was a warm and loving person that enjoyed touching others to show her affection and connection to her. She snuggled against the small children her friends had had in her absence and snuggled on more than one familiar that had chosen someone she knew. All the while she told him stories about her life and just did what she'd said she would and gave him some of her time. It was only a few hours, of course, but that was what he wanted and then she could get on with her life. For now she just gave him what she was willing to and enjoyed teasing him quite mercilessly as she was pretty much bulletproof here in her natural element.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
As he was taken to a hidden passageway, he let her open the door and pulled him along into another marketplace. He was clearly awestruck as she pulled him along and interacted with everyone. Having only heard whispers of this place, he could hardly believe that it existed. And should anyone of power find this place, he suddenly feared that they would use it to their advantage. It was best to not ever utter of its existence for the sake of everyone here.

While she didn't really speak to him, he could tell that she was a warm and kind soul who loved being with people. And she had yet to let go of his hand. But he inclined his head in greeting to whoever she introduced him to. She was clearly in her element here, and this place meant something to her. He had a note to try and not to flirt with her again until he felt confident in doing so. For now, he would speak plainly as she had suggested.

"There are any special spots here?" he asked, before quickly clarifying, "For the view." Of course, if he were to gain his trust, he had something in mind for her to show that his intentions were good.
The dragon becomes me...