Visionary Tales
If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.UPDATE!! 5/16/19: Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

Creation's Obligation [M]

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
Deadpool could be very useful, more times than others, and that he was carrying a broken time machine (which he called the MacGuffin) when Ultron needed to go back in time was one of the more useful. They tested it, going back a few weeks in time to find that it was like the snap had never happened, that Thanos hadn't begun his personal quest to get the Infinity Stones. Nebula was still unconscious, but they were able to overtake a ship and leaving her in it, making sure that it would respond to her and not any of the ejected crew members if they managed to make it back before she woke up.

Jocasta had made it through the first jump through time, but when they went back to the day that the Avengers got the Mind Stone, her body was empty of any sign of her intelligence. Ultron missed her, but he knew that she had either been left behind with Nebula or perhaps ended up in the time between now and the future. Either way, they would be reunited eventually, he wouldn't allow Tony to erase them, even though the other AI had voiced some hesitance about Ultron's plan. He was certain he could save both of them, Vision, and the half of the universe that had been disintegrated.

It wasn't difficult to get into Strucker's fortress, he had done it before, he only had to wait for Tony to come and find the scepter and remain undetected by Strucker, who was still trying at artificial intelligence. The fortress emptied quickly enough, those who weren't in the battle with the Avengers were trying to flee. He had wanted to speak to the twins, to try again with them, but he knew that could wait, they wouldn't hate Stark any less, and they might not be too glad about him keeping Tony alive and well so he could be created. He could wait until after Tony succeeded, then he could go to them and make sure not to repeat past mistakes.

He couldn't make himself known until after Wanda and Pietro had left Tony, he didn't need any information getting out to the Tony from the future that he was here. The element of surprise was on his side, as even Ultron couldn't have predicted that he would find a way to make it back, he just had to be smart about it. Once the twins were clear, he jammed Tony's signal, allowing him to hear his teammates if they spoke, but not them hear him. Ultron couldn't very well fly his own body over, especially not to a well guarded fortress.

The rest of Tony's armor flew in, although it didn't do as he commanded, and JARVIS had been pushed out with the jamming of the signals, making it seem like HYDRA had a technological weapon that they used to disable Tony's. It covered him up, and the hand holding the scepter turned it over, looking at it curiously as Ultron saw himself before he had ever actually been made.

"Hello, Father." Ultron's voice was in the suit rather than JARVIS', "We need to talk."
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Despite his warning, Steve was still knocked ass over teacup down the stairs when Wanda snuck up on him, but he was certainly less surprised about it. It was both a blessing and a curse that she didn't stay to defend Strucker, the man was easily taken down and wouldn't have been if she stayed, but now Steve had to go chasing after her once he'd tied the man up for the cleanup crew to get.

At least he knew that she'd be going after Tony and where that would be, so he headed over that way down the route that Tony wasn't going to take when he left, as he was sure that she'd be going down that way. He'd memorized the map that FRIDAY had JARVIS send, the difficult part was not sharing it with the rest of the team-- he didn't want to lie to them about where he'd gotten his information.

(( >> let me know if you want to play either of the twins, I don't mind playing Wanda or both.  And future!Tony can talk through Steve's headset I'm sure if he has anything to say.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Tony (2015) was still suffering the shock of his vision, and at this point, he didn't even know where it had come from.  His heart raced, his breathing came fast and shallow, and all that he knew was that he had to stop what he had seen from becoming a reality, and that he would take any means necessary to do it.  When he grabbed the scepter, he was not thinking about Project Ultron, because he didn't yet know what the scepter really was, but he was certainly thinking that anything that expanded his understanding of the enemy and gave him power to defeat it was a good thing.

The arrival of his armor, which he'd left on sentry, startled him, however.  "JARIVS, what --?"  The armor moved with him in it, turning his hand.  "JARVIS, stand down." 

"Hello, Father," said a deep, rather musical voice  "We need to talk."

Tony froze slightly, his mind scrambling to understand in the absence of sufficient data.  "Oh, yeah?" he said.  "And who is this?"  He scanned his readouts and saw that his signals were being jammed -- neither JARVIS nor the team could hear him.  His first assumption was HYDRA, although the idea they had someone who could hack his suit was almost ludicrous.  "I don't have any kids... who could do this."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tony (2018) had made good use of his time and of Tony (2015)'s credit.  He was cleaned up, shaved, and decently dressed under his armor.  He had even gotten into his lab (after the Avengers left) to make himself some nanotech food so that his nanytes were back up to full strength and numbers (the battle on Titan having depleted them quite a bit). 

He knew to the minute when his younger self would find the scepter, so activating stealth mode, he flew to Sokovia.  He was listening to the Avengers' comm chatter and had the fortress on visual about the time Cap was getting knocked down the stairs.  He heard Steve say, "We have a second enhanced.  Female.  Do not engage," and then, "Guys, I got Strucker."

"I got something bigger," Tony (2018) murmured.

"Yeah, I got something.... bigger," Tony (2015) said.  "Thor, I got eyes on the prize."

Tony (2018) flew around to the entrance that he'd used before, where the HYDRA thugs he'd disabled were now either unconscious or had run away.  JARIVS already knew not to give him away, so it would be safe enough.  He opened a channel that the Avengers weren't using so that he could talk to Cap.  "Have you contacted her yet?"

He landed in the dim-lit fortress and took a few steps forward, and froze for a second, seeing the complete absence of an Iron Man suit in the computer room where he'd left the thumb drive uploading HYDRA files.  "JARVIS, where are you?" 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was very clear that, despite the twins' efforts, Strucker's forces had lost.  They encountered none of his men who weren't unconscious or too injured to run away.  Strucker himself had been captured.  The Avengers' foreign clean-up crew were coming into the fortress. 

Pietro put Wanda down in their quarters so that they could grab their small collection of money and possessions before fleeing.  "It is all very well to say that Stark's fear will destroy him.  I would still have liked to break his nose at least.  Where do we go now?"

((You're good at Wanda.  :)  ))
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 12:38:48 PM by Aries Jordan »

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"Not yet." Ultron said to the comment on kids, "But you will soon. I am Ultron, and you are going to help me save the world." He could have said the universe, but Tony wasn't exactly concerned with that now. Wanda had told him of Tony's vision, and he knew there was nothing more he wanted than to protect Earth.

"Change of plans." Ultron spoke through Tony's comms to the others, mimicking the man's voice perfectly as he set the suit to fly off. "I have to do this alone." He turned on the stealth mode after cutting off communication with the other Avengers.

"Sorry about this." Ultron said to Tony, sounding sincere, even though he found amusement in the fact that Tony was now being moved around like a puppet in his own suit. "But the others don't understand, they don't get it. The Earth is in danger, and there isn't time for Thor's entitlement or Cap's ten hour lectures about the 'dangers' of progress."

-------‐------------------------------------------------------

If Steve had doubted Tony before, him saying pretty much what the younger Tony was about to made it quite clear he was from the future. And if Steve's hearing wasn't so impeccable, he wouldn't have been able to tell them apart. He noticed that there was a bit more pep in the current Tony's tone, and he hoped that he'd be able to help bring that back to the other.

"No, not yet." Cap replied, "But I have a good idea." He knew where the quarters for the people Strucker had experimented on thanks to FRIDAY, and he guessed they would grab what they could before leaving.

"Tony? Is-- are you supposed to say that?" Steve didn't know if this was part of what was supposed to happen and Tony didn't mention it. The other Avengers were going wild on the comms, especially Thor who was nearing a deafening level of shouting over the sceptre.

----------------------------------------------------------

"He will break himself." Wanda said, still smiling from the vision that had plagued Tony. "Then you can break what is left of him."

She had been worried about Strucker, she knew he wanted more with them than just the liberation of Sokovia's people. So when she could have prevented his capture, she instead allowed it. With their powers, they could make a difference, and without HYDRA they could make their own agenda.

Wanda had grabbed all of her things, but she dropped them, spinning around as her hands glowed. There was only one entrance to their quarters, and she sensed the man she had encountered before was coming down it.

"Someone is here." she said, tearing the door off its hinges and sending it flying down the hall. It clanged off of Cap's shield as he barreled down the hallway. But he didn't enter the room, holding up his shield in front of him where the door once was.

"I'm not here to fight." Cap said, looking over his shield and holding a hand out. "I need your help."

((Aw, thanks. >w>
Also, I was thinking that Ultron manages to get Tony away without the others knowing it. And that they either think that something Tony 2018 did after coming here made 2015 run off and they try to figure it out/where Tony would be and Jocasta comes and tells them that Ultron made it.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Tony 2015 was getting too many shocks piling on each other.  Even his genius brain had to play catch-up. 

"...Ultron doesn't exist," he said, trying to inject a flat note into a strained voice.  He was well aware that a "yet" could be attached to that sentence too, but he saw no reason he should.

Ultron had the initiative, as Tony was too busy trying to process while the AI carried out the steps necessary for kidnapping him.  Who knew there was such an idea as Ultron?  Bruce, JARVIS, Pepper... whoever they might have mentioned it to, not a big list.

Though part of him was nodding in agreement with the AI's comments, he protested.  "I'd be a lot more inclined to believe you if you weren't hacking my armor and kidnapping me."  And taking the scepter... "We can have a  private conversation without that being necessary."

In the meantime, he was fingering a button inside his gauntlet.  Tony was a very thorough engineer.  He had prepared for the risk that somebody would hack his armor -- with him in it -- someday.  He had installed a hardware killswitch that would power down the suit and expel him.  But he wasn't prepared to use it yet.  Ultron had gotten his full attention and he wanted to know more.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thor was shouting, Natasha was saying sensible things like, "Do what on your own?" Tony 2015 wasn't answering.

"No!" Tony 2018 told Cap.  "Something's wrong.  JARVIS isn't responding either."  He went to the secret door and shoved, but its mechanism had jammed -- possibly, Tony 2015 had jammed it?  Why?  Had Cap, knowing what Tony was about to do, said something that spooked him?  Given him the man-was-not-meant-to-meddle medley? 

He used an IR scan to locate the metal pins holding the door locked and started lasering through them as quickly as he could. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pietro's main character flaw was poor impulse control.  He was at the door in a flash, ready to punch the Avenger who stood there, and only held back at the last second -- fortunately for him, as a punch at full speed on vibranium would have shattered his hand. 

Instead, he looked back at Wanda.  "What do you want to do with crazy man?" 

Strucker had hated Captain America, naturally, but the mythology lingering in Eastern Europe -- even Sokovia -- was about a hero, and some of that cultural gestalt had filtered down to the twins, young as they were.  So Pietro found himself mainly curious -- at least, for as long they had time to be.

((OK.  BTW I send you a PM in the old VT because I can't convince this website I'm not a robot.)

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"That's going to take a bit of explaining to do. But I will exist. You succeeded. And you were right about the world, it needs a suit of armor around it. Billions are going to die, Tony, from an alien invasion. You fight it, the others fight it, heroes you've never even heard of fight it, but... half of all life on Earth is destroyed. But the two of us, and this--" He turned the scepter over in the armor's hand again, "can prevent that from ever happening."

When Tony spoke about hacking his armor, he shrugged the mentioned machinery, "You'd have the entire team here in a heartbeat, and they aren't willing to do what's needed to protect Earth. What happens when you listen to them instead of your intuition is catastrophic. If you don't trust me, I can show you. I have so much to show you." There was childlike excitement in that last part, like he was going to show Tony what he'd made at school rather than in his isolated lairs where he was fueled by his twisted purpose.

"But we don't have time for that." Ultron said as the door between them and the other Tony was being compromised. He couldn't pick up his signature through the door, HYDRA might not be very advanced, but it was hard to go wrong with several inches of lead and steel. "I can explain on the way." He started up the repulsors to get them flying, charging up one of them with more power than the suit was capable of (without a bolt from Thor) with the help of nanobots, and blasted a large, clean hole in the ceiling for them to fly through.

((Not sure if you wanted Tony to use the escape button or not. >> If not, you can have them taking off/flying away.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Figure out what you did." Steve responded, "But I'm going off comms to talk to them." He hated to leave his team to themselves during such a time, but he couldn't be communicating with them while negotiating with the twins. Even if that wouldn't rouse suspicion in them, it was downright rude, he was going to give them his full attention.

"Let him speak." Wanda said, she didn't lower her hands, not until Steve had put the shield on his back and stepped into the room. "Take his shield." She could have requested that in Sokovian or even into Pietro's mind, but she knew there was no way for Steve would be fast enough to prevent him from taking it. "Speak quickly." If they wanted, they could leave now, as Steve could be shoved aside with his own shield with Pietro behind it, and once they were past him there would be no catching up. But she could see into his thoughts, and there was no malice, no thoughts or desire to contain either her or her brother, he seemed to feel concerned for them instead.

"The weapon that Strucker used on you, the scepter, it's incredibly dangerous. We have to destroy it so no one can ever use it, but you're the only one who can do that, Ms. Maximoff."

"How do you know this?" Wanda asked, as she wasn't able to pick up a definite source in Steve's mind except for Tony, "How can we trust you are telling the truth?"

"I'd let you read my mind." Steve said, not knowing that she had already begun to, "But I don't think that would be enough. You'll have to read Tony Stark's." He knew he couldn't hide that from them, that they would have to meet with the man that they hated if they were going to help.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Ultron, if it really was Ultron, was speaking Tony's language.  Hell, he was saying everything that Tony had been thinking in the corner of his brain where he kept thoughts he wasn't ready to articulate yet.  Coming on the heels of Tony's vision, Ultron's speech was falling on very receptive ears -- but that didn't mean Tony abandoned his critical thinking skills altogether.  "I'm gonna give you some time to make your pitch," he said, moving his fingers away from the Eject button.  "But you better include a synopsis on how time travel is possible and why it was worth the risk." 

He noticed the power level recorded in his armor was more than it was capable of.  He might have started feeling jealous and insecure, but his ego told him that he was probably responsible for the advance -- he just hadn't done it yet.  "All right, let's go."

Thor, who had just evacuated Barton to the quinjet, came out the back of it in time to see a small red and gold rocket go up from the roof of Strucker's fortress and jet away.  "Stark!"  he yelled several times into the comm, and then spun Mjolnir to carry him aloft.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What I did?"  Tony 2018 responded.  "I haven't even interacted with me!"  But Cap had turned his comm off.  Tony finished cutting through the door.  There was Strucker's treasure trove, including the skeletal Leviathan, but two things were missing: Iron Man, and the scepter.  Instead, there was a big hole in the roof....

Something about that struck Tony as wrong, but he wasn't paying sufficient attention to that part of his mind to realize what.  He rose through the roof himself hoping to spot Tony 2015, but instead saw Thor hurtling toward him.  "Oops..."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pietro blurred and pulled the shield off Cap's back, although the magnets holding it there were stronger than he anticipated and he winced at the muscle strain he experienced as a result.  "Cool!" he said, and attempted to balance it, spinning on one finger.

He scowled at what the American had to say.  "Much as I'd love another chance to break Tony Stark's nose, we must be going."  He moved toward Wanda, intending to grab her, but he did it slowly enough to let her object.  "It must be a trick," he said to her.