Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

Creation's Obligation [M]

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
Deadpool could be very useful, more times than others, and that he was carrying a broken time machine (which he called the MacGuffin) when Ultron needed to go back in time was one of the more useful. They tested it, going back a few weeks in time to find that it was like the snap had never happened, that Thanos hadn't begun his personal quest to get the Infinity Stones. Nebula was still unconscious, but they were able to overtake a ship and leaving her in it, making sure that it would respond to her and not any of the ejected crew members if they managed to make it back before she woke up.

Jocasta had made it through the first jump through time, but when they went back to the day that the Avengers got the Mind Stone, her body was empty of any sign of her intelligence. Ultron missed her, but he knew that she had either been left behind with Nebula or perhaps ended up in the time between now and the future. Either way, they would be reunited eventually, he wouldn't allow Tony to erase them, even though the other AI had voiced some hesitance about Ultron's plan. He was certain he could save both of them, Vision, and the half of the universe that had been disintegrated.

It wasn't difficult to get into Strucker's fortress, he had done it before, he only had to wait for Tony to come and find the scepter and remain undetected by Strucker, who was still trying at artificial intelligence. The fortress emptied quickly enough, those who weren't in the battle with the Avengers were trying to flee. He had wanted to speak to the twins, to try again with them, but he knew that could wait, they wouldn't hate Stark any less, and they might not be too glad about him keeping Tony alive and well so he could be created. He could wait until after Tony succeeded, then he could go to them and make sure not to repeat past mistakes.

He couldn't make himself known until after Wanda and Pietro had left Tony, he didn't need any information getting out to the Tony from the future that he was here. The element of surprise was on his side, as even Ultron couldn't have predicted that he would find a way to make it back, he just had to be smart about it. Once the twins were clear, he jammed Tony's signal, allowing him to hear his teammates if they spoke, but not them hear him. Ultron couldn't very well fly his own body over, especially not to a well guarded fortress.

The rest of Tony's armor flew in, although it didn't do as he commanded, and JARVIS had been pushed out with the jamming of the signals, making it seem like HYDRA had a technological weapon that they used to disable Tony's. It covered him up, and the hand holding the scepter turned it over, looking at it curiously as Ultron saw himself before he had ever actually been made.

"Hello, Father." Ultron's voice was in the suit rather than JARVIS', "We need to talk."
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Despite his warning, Steve was still knocked ass over teacup down the stairs when Wanda snuck up on him, but he was certainly less surprised about it. It was both a blessing and a curse that she didn't stay to defend Strucker, the man was easily taken down and wouldn't have been if she stayed, but now Steve had to go chasing after her once he'd tied the man up for the cleanup crew to get.

At least he knew that she'd be going after Tony and where that would be, so he headed over that way down the route that Tony wasn't going to take when he left, as he was sure that she'd be going down that way. He'd memorized the map that FRIDAY had JARVIS send, the difficult part was not sharing it with the rest of the team-- he didn't want to lie to them about where he'd gotten his information.

(( >> let me know if you want to play either of the twins, I don't mind playing Wanda or both.  And future!Tony can talk through Steve's headset I'm sure if he has anything to say.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Tony (2015) was still suffering the shock of his vision, and at this point, he didn't even know where it had come from.  His heart raced, his breathing came fast and shallow, and all that he knew was that he had to stop what he had seen from becoming a reality, and that he would take any means necessary to do it.  When he grabbed the scepter, he was not thinking about Project Ultron, because he didn't yet know what the scepter really was, but he was certainly thinking that anything that expanded his understanding of the enemy and gave him power to defeat it was a good thing.

The arrival of his armor, which he'd left on sentry, startled him, however.  "JARIVS, what --?"  The armor moved with him in it, turning his hand.  "JARVIS, stand down." 

"Hello, Father," said a deep, rather musical voice  "We need to talk."

Tony froze slightly, his mind scrambling to understand in the absence of sufficient data.  "Oh, yeah?" he said.  "And who is this?"  He scanned his readouts and saw that his signals were being jammed -- neither JARVIS nor the team could hear him.  His first assumption was HYDRA, although the idea they had someone who could hack his suit was almost ludicrous.  "I don't have any kids... who could do this."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tony (2018) had made good use of his time and of Tony (2015)'s credit.  He was cleaned up, shaved, and decently dressed under his armor.  He had even gotten into his lab (after the Avengers left) to make himself some nanotech food so that his nanytes were back up to full strength and numbers (the battle on Titan having depleted them quite a bit). 

He knew to the minute when his younger self would find the scepter, so activating stealth mode, he flew to Sokovia.  He was listening to the Avengers' comm chatter and had the fortress on visual about the time Cap was getting knocked down the stairs.  He heard Steve say, "We have a second enhanced.  Female.  Do not engage," and then, "Guys, I got Strucker."

"I got something bigger," Tony (2018) murmured.

"Yeah, I got something.... bigger," Tony (2015) said.  "Thor, I got eyes on the prize."

Tony (2018) flew around to the entrance that he'd used before, where the HYDRA thugs he'd disabled were now either unconscious or had run away.  JARIVS already knew not to give him away, so it would be safe enough.  He opened a channel that the Avengers weren't using so that he could talk to Cap.  "Have you contacted her yet?"

He landed in the dim-lit fortress and took a few steps forward, and froze for a second, seeing the complete absence of an Iron Man suit in the computer room where he'd left the thumb drive uploading HYDRA files.  "JARVIS, where are you?" 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was very clear that, despite the twins' efforts, Strucker's forces had lost.  They encountered none of his men who weren't unconscious or too injured to run away.  Strucker himself had been captured.  The Avengers' foreign clean-up crew were coming into the fortress. 

Pietro put Wanda down in their quarters so that they could grab their small collection of money and possessions before fleeing.  "It is all very well to say that Stark's fear will destroy him.  I would still have liked to break his nose at least.  Where do we go now?"

((You're good at Wanda.  :)  ))
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 12:38:48 PM by Aries Jordan »

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"Not yet." Ultron said to the comment on kids, "But you will soon. I am Ultron, and you are going to help me save the world." He could have said the universe, but Tony wasn't exactly concerned with that now. Wanda had told him of Tony's vision, and he knew there was nothing more he wanted than to protect Earth.

"Change of plans." Ultron spoke through Tony's comms to the others, mimicking the man's voice perfectly as he set the suit to fly off. "I have to do this alone." He turned on the stealth mode after cutting off communication with the other Avengers.

"Sorry about this." Ultron said to Tony, sounding sincere, even though he found amusement in the fact that Tony was now being moved around like a puppet in his own suit. "But the others don't understand, they don't get it. The Earth is in danger, and there isn't time for Thor's entitlement or Cap's ten hour lectures about the 'dangers' of progress."

-------‐------------------------------------------------------

If Steve had doubted Tony before, him saying pretty much what the younger Tony was about to made it quite clear he was from the future. And if Steve's hearing wasn't so impeccable, he wouldn't have been able to tell them apart. He noticed that there was a bit more pep in the current Tony's tone, and he hoped that he'd be able to help bring that back to the other.

"No, not yet." Cap replied, "But I have a good idea." He knew where the quarters for the people Strucker had experimented on thanks to FRIDAY, and he guessed they would grab what they could before leaving.

"Tony? Is-- are you supposed to say that?" Steve didn't know if this was part of what was supposed to happen and Tony didn't mention it. The other Avengers were going wild on the comms, especially Thor who was nearing a deafening level of shouting over the sceptre.

----------------------------------------------------------

"He will break himself." Wanda said, still smiling from the vision that had plagued Tony. "Then you can break what is left of him."

She had been worried about Strucker, she knew he wanted more with them than just the liberation of Sokovia's people. So when she could have prevented his capture, she instead allowed it. With their powers, they could make a difference, and without HYDRA they could make their own agenda.

Wanda had grabbed all of her things, but she dropped them, spinning around as her hands glowed. There was only one entrance to their quarters, and she sensed the man she had encountered before was coming down it.

"Someone is here." she said, tearing the door off its hinges and sending it flying down the hall. It clanged off of Cap's shield as he barreled down the hallway. But he didn't enter the room, holding up his shield in front of him where the door once was.

"I'm not here to fight." Cap said, looking over his shield and holding a hand out. "I need your help."

((Aw, thanks. >w>
Also, I was thinking that Ultron manages to get Tony away without the others knowing it. And that they either think that something Tony 2018 did after coming here made 2015 run off and they try to figure it out/where Tony would be and Jocasta comes and tells them that Ultron made it.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Tony 2015 was getting too many shocks piling on each other.  Even his genius brain had to play catch-up. 

"...Ultron doesn't exist," he said, trying to inject a flat note into a strained voice.  He was well aware that a "yet" could be attached to that sentence too, but he saw no reason he should.

Ultron had the initiative, as Tony was too busy trying to process while the AI carried out the steps necessary for kidnapping him.  Who knew there was such an idea as Ultron?  Bruce, JARVIS, Pepper... whoever they might have mentioned it to, not a big list.

Though part of him was nodding in agreement with the AI's comments, he protested.  "I'd be a lot more inclined to believe you if you weren't hacking my armor and kidnapping me."  And taking the scepter... "We can have a  private conversation without that being necessary."

In the meantime, he was fingering a button inside his gauntlet.  Tony was a very thorough engineer.  He had prepared for the risk that somebody would hack his armor -- with him in it -- someday.  He had installed a hardware killswitch that would power down the suit and expel him.  But he wasn't prepared to use it yet.  Ultron had gotten his full attention and he wanted to know more.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thor was shouting, Natasha was saying sensible things like, "Do what on your own?" Tony 2015 wasn't answering.

"No!" Tony 2018 told Cap.  "Something's wrong.  JARVIS isn't responding either."  He went to the secret door and shoved, but its mechanism had jammed -- possibly, Tony 2015 had jammed it?  Why?  Had Cap, knowing what Tony was about to do, said something that spooked him?  Given him the man-was-not-meant-to-meddle medley? 

He used an IR scan to locate the metal pins holding the door locked and started lasering through them as quickly as he could. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pietro's main character flaw was poor impulse control.  He was at the door in a flash, ready to punch the Avenger who stood there, and only held back at the last second -- fortunately for him, as a punch at full speed on vibranium would have shattered his hand. 

Instead, he looked back at Wanda.  "What do you want to do with crazy man?" 

Strucker had hated Captain America, naturally, but the mythology lingering in Eastern Europe -- even Sokovia -- was about a hero, and some of that cultural gestalt had filtered down to the twins, young as they were.  So Pietro found himself mainly curious -- at least, for as long they had time to be.

((OK.  BTW I send you a PM in the old VT because I can't convince this website I'm not a robot.)

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"That's going to take a bit of explaining to do. But I will exist. You succeeded. And you were right about the world, it needs a suit of armor around it. Billions are going to die, Tony, from an alien invasion. You fight it, the others fight it, heroes you've never even heard of fight it, but... half of all life on Earth is destroyed. But the two of us, and this--" He turned the scepter over in the armor's hand again, "can prevent that from ever happening."

When Tony spoke about hacking his armor, he shrugged the mentioned machinery, "You'd have the entire team here in a heartbeat, and they aren't willing to do what's needed to protect Earth. What happens when you listen to them instead of your intuition is catastrophic. If you don't trust me, I can show you. I have so much to show you." There was childlike excitement in that last part, like he was going to show Tony what he'd made at school rather than in his isolated lairs where he was fueled by his twisted purpose.

"But we don't have time for that." Ultron said as the door between them and the other Tony was being compromised. He couldn't pick up his signature through the door, HYDRA might not be very advanced, but it was hard to go wrong with several inches of lead and steel. "I can explain on the way." He started up the repulsors to get them flying, charging up one of them with more power than the suit was capable of (without a bolt from Thor) with the help of nanobots, and blasted a large, clean hole in the ceiling for them to fly through.

((Not sure if you wanted Tony to use the escape button or not. >> If not, you can have them taking off/flying away.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Figure out what you did." Steve responded, "But I'm going off comms to talk to them." He hated to leave his team to themselves during such a time, but he couldn't be communicating with them while negotiating with the twins. Even if that wouldn't rouse suspicion in them, it was downright rude, he was going to give them his full attention.

"Let him speak." Wanda said, she didn't lower her hands, not until Steve had put the shield on his back and stepped into the room. "Take his shield." She could have requested that in Sokovian or even into Pietro's mind, but she knew there was no way for Steve would be fast enough to prevent him from taking it. "Speak quickly." If they wanted, they could leave now, as Steve could be shoved aside with his own shield with Pietro behind it, and once they were past him there would be no catching up. But she could see into his thoughts, and there was no malice, no thoughts or desire to contain either her or her brother, he seemed to feel concerned for them instead.

"The weapon that Strucker used on you, the scepter, it's incredibly dangerous. We have to destroy it so no one can ever use it, but you're the only one who can do that, Ms. Maximoff."

"How do you know this?" Wanda asked, as she wasn't able to pick up a definite source in Steve's mind except for Tony, "How can we trust you are telling the truth?"

"I'd let you read my mind." Steve said, not knowing that she had already begun to, "But I don't think that would be enough. You'll have to read Tony Stark's." He knew he couldn't hide that from them, that they would have to meet with the man that they hated if they were going to help.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Ultron, if it really was Ultron, was speaking Tony's language.  Hell, he was saying everything that Tony had been thinking in the corner of his brain where he kept thoughts he wasn't ready to articulate yet.  Coming on the heels of Tony's vision, Ultron's speech was falling on very receptive ears -- but that didn't mean Tony abandoned his critical thinking skills altogether.  "I'm gonna give you some time to make your pitch," he said, moving his fingers away from the Eject button.  "But you better include a synopsis on how time travel is possible and why it was worth the risk." 

He noticed the power level recorded in his armor was more than it was capable of.  He might have started feeling jealous and insecure, but his ego told him that he was probably responsible for the advance -- he just hadn't done it yet.  "All right, let's go."

Thor, who had just evacuated Barton to the quinjet, came out the back of it in time to see a small red and gold rocket go up from the roof of Strucker's fortress and jet away.  "Stark!"  he yelled several times into the comm, and then spun Mjolnir to carry him aloft.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What I did?"  Tony 2018 responded.  "I haven't even interacted with me!"  But Cap had turned his comm off.  Tony finished cutting through the door.  There was Strucker's treasure trove, including the skeletal Leviathan, but two things were missing: Iron Man, and the scepter.  Instead, there was a big hole in the roof....

Something about that struck Tony as wrong, but he wasn't paying sufficient attention to that part of his mind to realize what.  He rose through the roof himself hoping to spot Tony 2015, but instead saw Thor hurtling toward him.  "Oops..."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pietro blurred and pulled the shield off Cap's back, although the magnets holding it there were stronger than he anticipated and he winced at the muscle strain he experienced as a result.  "Cool!" he said, and attempted to balance it, spinning on one finger.

He scowled at what the American had to say.  "Much as I'd love another chance to break Tony Stark's nose, we must be going."  He moved toward Wanda, intending to grab her, but he did it slowly enough to let her object.  "It must be a trick," he said to her. 

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"There are actually a couple ways that time travel is possible. I used the technological method, but there's a more... natural one. I'll admit, I didn't create the technology, I merely repaired it." But Ultron didn't want to talk about that yet, especially since he was still learning about the machine himself.

"Loki didn't find the staff himself, or rally the army of Chitauri. He was given both so that he could get the tesseract for someone else's purpose." It was unlikely that Loki would have kept his end of the deal, but having two stones in his possession made him an easier target for Thanos.

"I feel like this would go best if we talked in person." Ultron was keeping the screen dark, though he allowed for Tony to measure his own vitals and everything else that was internal to the suit, but he didn't let on where they were heading.

"Is that alright with you?" Ultron found it easier to be courteous to this Tony, as the only fear he had seemed rightful to the AI, that he was being taken against his will, more or less. He was also very curious, and wouldn't be able to speak on what he thought went 'wrong' with his creation, as he had no point of reference.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"That isn't a toy." Steve said as he played with his shield, not with anger, but with patience and slight concern, like he was talking to a kid that got ahold of matches. He could have tried to take it back using the magnets, but he didn't.

"It looks like a toy." Wanda said, though she loved her country, she thought it a bit extreme to accessorize according to its flag. She held out her hand to stop her brother from taking her, looking at Steve hard.

"How do we know it is not a trick? How do you know it is not a trick of Stark's?" she asked Steve. She could tell that he had come here purposely to find them, and if he had brought his team, they wouldn't have been able to escape given the single exit route. He could have easily cornered them and taken them by force. But trusting Captain America was far from trusting Stark, who may have used Steve to get them to cooperate before choosing to hurt or imprison them.

"I can't promise that I know that, and I trust Tony." Steve said, and Wanda was about to tell Pietro it was time to leave but he kept talking. "But if he even tries to hurt either of you or make you do anything against your will, I'll fight him alongside both of you." Steve promised, the determination and honesty visible on his face as well as inside of his mind. Tony hadn't mentioned any harm coming to them, and even if the man had kept it from Steve to make sure he got the twins in order to save the future, he wouldn't allow him to doublecross them.

"He is telling the truth." She said to her brother, "If Stark is tricking us, we will still get to kick his ass." It wasn't just that Steve was being honest, but she knew that he would be a match for Iron Man, and with them as well, there was no way Stark would win.

"We will go with you. If my brother gets to break Stark's nose." She had expected Steve to be insulted, but despite his serious expression, she was able to sense amusement in his mind.

"We can negotiate a punch." Steve said before turning his communicator back on. "I'm coming up with some allies--" He was interrupted by the chaos that Ultron's message had caused. The loudest among them was Thor, who proclaimed that he had 'located the fiend', which was followed by an audible clank as he impacted with Stark.

"Thor, does he have the scepter? If not, stand down!" He then looked to the twins again, "We had better head out. Are you ready?" Wanda nodded, ready to have Pietro take her out now.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Tony 2015 already knew that about Loki, as Thor had said the Chitauri had been loaned to him, probably in exchange for the Tesseract.  "Yeah, of course.  Who?  Who was pulling Loki's strings?"

When his screen went blank, Tony would have used the eject except they were at a height he couldn't survive falling from.  "No, this is not acceptable!" he said through gritted teeth.  "You don't get to kidnap me and expect a sympathetic audience.  I want to know where we're going and I want control of my armor back!"

It was infuriating to him that he even had to say something like that.  He was quite angry.  But there was no flinch-response at all.  He had so little fear of Ultron that by contrast it became obvious how much Tony 2018 had been faking not being afraid.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It makes a nice Frisbee," Pietro said of the shield.

He looked dubious about everything Captain America said, and concerned about everything Wanda said.  "We could beat Stark," he agreed, "but all of them?"  Supposing it were a trap, why wouldn't all of the Avengers, minus the silly bowman, be involved?

However, he trusted Wanda's judgment, so reluctantly, he handed the shield back and picked her up.  He didn't take off with her, since he had to keep pace with the slow American, but he wanted her close in case they did have to run.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, use your words, buddy!" Tony 2018 said as Thor slammed into him.  "You're letting them get away!  FRIDAY, initiate scans!"

At this point, he hit the ground on his back, bounced a couple of times and skidded to a stop.  Thor set Mjolnir on his chest as he got off.  "I am down," the Thunder God reported to Cap.  "Who are you?" he demanded.

Tony dissolved the front of his helmet.  "I'm the guy that flew a nuke through a wormhole into space!  Just, it was awhile ago!"

"What is going on?"  Natasha and Bruce said simultaneously through the comms.  Clint said nothing because he was enjoying the painkillers he'd been given.

"I am unable to reach Mr. Stark," JARVIS said.  "Except I am able to reach Mr. Stark."  He sounded terribly confused.

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"Thanos. He's an extraterrestrial warlord, and we're lucky it took him so long to attack Earth. We still didn't have enough time, enough information, but we can change that."

Ultron was so stunned by Tony's words and how he spoke that he almost stopped flying. He'd never spoken to him like this before, when Ultron had the upper hand the anger was a mask for his fear, and when Tony had captured him, there was pity in that anger. This was simply Tony voicing his anger with no prior bias, no fear of his presence or that Ultron was going to hurt him.

"Sorry, dad. I'm about as good at asking permission as you." Though there was quite a difference between kidnapping and tinkering with other's technology and private information.

"We're going to my workshop." Ultron said as if that were a decent answer. After a moment of hesitation, Tony's screen was filled with blue sky, and if he loooed down all he would see was a thick cover of clouds. Ultron allowed him to move as well, but he didn't allow for control of weapons or the repulsors, so he couldn't make himself gain or lose altitude.

"You made me to be the perfect AI, you made me to protect Earth and to replace the Avengers. I am the end of the Avengers, and they don't want that, they can't see that Earth needs a defender, not avengers. That's why we can't include them, we don't have time to discuss their purpose in the future. Especially not Captain America, he's afraid of a future where he gets to hang up his shield."

-----‐----------------------------------------------------

"We only need to be able to leave." With Steve fighting for them, they could escape, the Avengers couldn't keep up with Pietro and she could break through any doors that got in their way.

"Thank you." Steve said, putting the shield onto his back again. Wanda was quiet, but her head was moving around erratically as she listened to all the stray thoughts from the closer Avengers, the agents moving in to capture the remaining HYDRA goons, and the HYDRA goons that weren't unconscious.

The soldier looked back at them and noticed her agitation, recognizing it easily. He'd always had trouble hearing before he got the serum, and having superhuman hearing had been difficult to get used to.

"Try and pick one thing to focus on, one you can see as well as hear, like me or your brother." he recommended, hoping it would help keep her from picking up stray thoughts. She still kept quiet, but tried what he said, focusing on just the soldier's mind and managed to relax a bit.

Steve hurried as Thor said he was down, knowing it meant he had taken down Tony with him. When they made it to the god and the inventor, Wanda was amused by Tony's predicament.

"This is Tony, Thor, but from the future." Steve said, "You can take Mjolnir off of him. And you can't reach the current Tony, JARVIS."

"... Maybe we should not have trusted him after all." Wanda said after hearing that, Steve seemed to be a different kind of crazy than they had suspected. They were still in the open, though, which gave them the advantage as there was nothing to keep her brother from running. "You have five minutes, Stark, then we leave." She spat his name out like it was a swear.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Thanos.  Tony 2015 repeated it to himself.  "Count me in," he said abruptly.  He didn't quite chuckle at Ultron's statement, but through the monitoring functions of the Iron Man armor, Ultron could feel him relax..  "Chip off the old block, huh?"  He raised an eyebrow at "workshop."  "How long have you been here?"

If Ultron was as good as he said he was, that is to say, as good as Tony could make, he wouldn't need very much time to set up a decent production line, but where was he getting the space and the raw materials?  Tony thought of the most likely locations based on what he would do if he were an undercover AI, calculated the distance between Sokovia and each one in turn, then settled back to see how long it would take to get there based on his current airspeed, which he figured would tell him exactly where the base was.

With the rest of his attention, he listened to Ultron's spiel.  After the vision Wanda had given him, he was very receptive to the part about Earth needing a defender, but his hackles went up about what the AI had to say about the other Avengers, especially Cap.  It was absolutely true that Rogers would not like Ultron, but it wouldn't be because he didn't want to hang up the shield, not if Ultron proved to be really, truly useful.  Cap resisted change, he was a fucking dinosaur that way, but never for selfish reasons.  Still... Ultron was an AI (apparently), and he might be very good at what he was programmed to do and be, and still not be very good at reading human behavior and understanding their motives.

When Tony opened his mouth, however, it was to point out a completely different problem.  "You keep saying I made you," he said.  "Clearly, I didn't.  If you came from the future, you've changed mine.  I'm someone else now, not the guy that created you."  He thought about it for a minute and added, "And the world you say we lost is still lost.  This is a new one."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pietro was puzzled by the American's interaction with Wanda and, to be frank, a little jealous of it.  Who was this Avenger to build such rapport with his sister so quickly?  However, this didn't seem to be the time to complain; there were more important things to worry about, like whether this was a trap and if he'd get a chance at Tony Stark.

When they reached the two other Avengers, he put Wanda down, but stayed close to her, eyeing Thor and Stark suspiciously.  He was not so amused by Stark's predicament because he didn't yet understand it.

Thor reached out a hand and Mjolnir flew into it.  He was a little more used to weird space magic than the other Avengers, so he accepted what Steve said with only a slightly puzzled frown.  It was like when Loki pulled some magic trick -- he didn't have to understand how it worked to accept that it did. 

Tony huffed relief and got up.  FRIDAY, have you located the current Tony?

No, boss, he's completely off the grid.

Weird.  Keep searching.

Facing Wanda was harder than he expected.  He'd learned, eventually, what it was the twins had against him.  It was part of the reason he'd semi-retired from the Avengers after Ultron -- that, plus the guilt, plus Pepper of course.  He figured it'd be easier for Wanda to adjust if he wasn't around much.

A quick order to the nanobots and his armor evaporated, leaving a thin and older and more worried-looking Tony Stark -- nothing at all like his latest picture on the cover of People -- for all to see.  Thor drew in an audible breathe, but Tony's attention was on the girl in front of him.

"Wanda, I have to tell you where the path you set me on leads.  You aren't going to like it."  He spoke briefly and to the point, but images flashing through his mind provided more detail.  "In trying to protect the planet, I used the scepter to create a monster.  The monster recruited you two.  He told you he meant to destroy the Avengers but -- he was out to destroy humanity.  He started with Sokovia."  Very vivid images here, all from Tony's point of view, of course, but including flashes of the twins' participation in the final battle -- and his first glimpse of Wanda, devastated from losing her brother, when it was over.

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
Ultron was lucky that his own body language wasn't visible, as the innocuous comment Tony made, even though it was caused by his own words, would have made him visibly tense. Jocasta had been working with him to make it so he didn't respond so negatively when being compared to Tony, but he still found it difficult not to react to it.

"Nearly two hours now." he replied. Ultron could tell when Tony was trying to solve a problem, he'd seen it enough when he was trying to escape him all of those times, but he knew that forcing him to talk about it was useless. He could guess that it was thoughts on how to get away from him, but again it didn't seem like it was because Ultron was the one who he was with, but because the man didn't like being contained.

"If you don't want me calling you 'dad', you can just say it." Ultron joked, "In three days you will. Sooner with me here." Ultron was quiet for a second after Tony finished speaking, "You'll do better than him." he added with certainty. "That's an interesting hypothesis. If only the one who made me thought of that as well." he said pensively.

"Let's get to work." Ultron took Tony saying that he was in to mean that he was ready to be taken to the workshop. He blacked out the view before having them rapidly drop altitude, making a few more turns and bursts of speed before Ultron finally landed them, and as soon as they were still the suit opened up to let Tony 2015 out into a dark room, the walls, ceiling, and floor all made of concrete with two halls going down either side. The suit then lost all power, and in a corner of the room there was a deep red glow as Ultron returned to the body he had left.

"I still don't know how JARVIS manages, it's so cramped in that suit." Ultron said, taking a few steps toward Tony with a smile, "It must really help that he has never experienced autonomy." He wanted to get up close to Tony, to interact with him, to touch him and see if he didn't flinch away like usual, but he kept his distance to see how the other would react first.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was still no way to pick up JARVIS from Tony 2015, Ultron had made sure that it wouldn't be an issue, as all it would take was one off message for Tony 2018 to know that something was up. However, there was a signal that was directed at FRIDAY specifically, which was very odd as she had yet to be activated in this time, and this particular signal would have been totally useless without her to receive it.

Steve had stepped aside a bit to try and calm down the others, who had heard his unlikely revelation, but he was keeping an eye on both Tony and Wanda as they interacted, ready for either of them to take the negotiations a bit too far. He didn't keep an eye on Pietro, knowing damn well he couldn't do anything but guess where he was going to run, and he knew it would either be to Tony or Wanda depending on how things went.

Wanda was not moved at all by the way he looked, and if she couldn't read his mind, she would have thought it was only an intricate trick he set up to make her drop her guard. If he were on the ground with his life bleeding out, she would have felt no pity for him at all, so his ragged condition didn't give her any second thoughts about wanting to see his destruction.

"Is your purpose to create what destroy all that I love?" Her face only hardened at the images of destruction, of Sokovia falling, the fleeting thoughts of Thanos' attack in the future. Both were very large scale, something she could dread but had trouble truly grasping the magnitude of it. What got her was the image of her brother, entirely still unlike he'd ever been, even before the experiments.

She fell to her knees, letting out an anguished scream as she held her head, trying to force the image out of her mind, the ground around her growing red as fissures broke out in it. Steve could feel the pain she did, her lack of control making it seep into his mind as well, he removed his shield from his back, but made no motions to attack anyone.

"What's happening, Tony? What are you showing her?"

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
Tony 2015 didn't have the teeth-gritting reaction that Tony 2018 had to Ultron calling him "Dad."  He was surprised and a little amused by it. 

"Hypothesis?" he echoed, sounding surprised.  "Do you have a different one?  If the timeline is overwritten instead of being split into two, then the mere fact that you came back here could erase your existence.  You're taking a hell of a risk."  This impressed Tony because he thought it reflected the gravity of the situation that Ultron had come from.  It was evidence that, appearances to the contrary notwithstanding, Ultron might be a benevolent and noble entity.

Ultron's twists and  turns and bursts of speed didn't do much to disorient Tony.  After years as Iron Man, he knew what each maneuver felt like, and he could tell his airspeed by the sound of the wind whipping past his helmet.  But the fact that Ultron was trying to disorient him, and was still keeping control of his armor, and was obviously not telling him everything was a big strike against Ultron.  As much as he wanted to believe what the AI was telling him, Tony couldn't fool himself into trusting him.

He bristled even more when his armor -- his armor! spat him out in a dark, clearly underground room and powered down.  His heart rate began to speed up.  Tony 2015 didn't have any bad associations with Ultron, but he did have a PTSD-inducing incident of being kidnapped and forced against his will to work on someone else's agenda.  It was Ten Rings he was thinking of as he glared at the AI, looking as unamused as he ever been in his life.

However, the glare disappeared as Ultron stepped into the light and he got his first look at the engineering that had gone into the AI's housing.  He didn't close the gap between them at first, but that was because he was circling, looking at everything, making technical comments and sounds of fascination and saying contemptuous things about his own Iron Legion by comparison.  At one point, he defended JARVIS -- "He runs on the whole grid, not just my armor --"  but mostly he was talking a mile a minute about Ultron's specs, concluding with, "Let's look at the software!" 

He went toward Ulron as casually as he would have toward one of the Legionnaires, almost as if he was about to pop open a hatch on his head with a screwdriver.  Then he stopped, with a sort of double-take.  "Autonomous.  Right.  Okay.  Even though you just kidnapped me and I'm damn well not going to forget that, I can be, well, sort of, polite.  May I take a look at the software?"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm getting a signal, FRIDAY reported to Tony 2018.  Like a homing beacon.  I can't tell who it's from.  Only where it is.

Send a ping back. 

There was no way to answer Wanda's question, even if it hadn't been rhetorical.  In the few interactions Tony'd had with her after Sokovia, he'd felt defensive and guilty, and so hadn't gotten to know her very well -- but he had felt that he and she had one thing in common, which was that they would do almost anything to protect what they loved most.  Unfortunately, those two drives were in conflict, but Tony, at least, felt Wanda was a kindred spirit.  His mind flashed briefly to Vision.  I did create the man you loved.

When Wanda screamed, Pietro blurred.  He wasn't telepathic like she was, but they shared a bond.  He could sense her strong emotions as she could read his, though whether it was because they were twins or because she projected onto him, he didn't know  It didn't matter.  Whatever was in Stark's mind was causing her anguish and he acted promptly to remove it. 

When Cap asked his question, Tony didn't answer because he was flat on his back with his ears ringing and a large bruise forming on his chin, all thought temporarily driven out of his mind.  Pietro immediately returned to Wanda, hovering protectively over her.  "It's all right, I am here!  Ow!" he added, getting a hotfoot from the glowing ground.  "We should go," he said.  He didn't like any of this.

Tony blinked several times and worked his jaw and focused on Cap until he saw only one of him.  "Uh...  must have been..."  His eyes moved to Pietro.  "He didn't make it," he told Cap in a lowered voice, but he was trying to stay away from the imagery in his head, and only told Steve the bare fact.

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"I am aware that I could be erased." Ultron said with a bitter edge, "The source I received my time device from says that it can alter the current timeline that you came from." He didn't really consider Deadpool a reliable source, but he hadn't believed him up until then about his 'time traveling buddy Cable'.

Not too long ago, Ultron wouldn't have understood why Tony was upset, he wouldn't have accounted for the trauma the man had been through or that forcing him to come here would trigger it, but he did now. That didn't mean he thought he was in the wrong, it was simply because he hadn't given Tony all of the details, he hadn't wanted to until they were out of the open.

Getting into that right away wasn't necessary, as Tony was immediately impressed by his build, and unlike Tony 2018 this wasn't mixed with regret or horror at what he was capable of. He couldn't keep the smug look off of his face as Tony not only complimented his design, but talked bad about his own, the Iron Legion was obviously inferior, but it was nice to hear Tony say it.

"The grid isn't that large either." he said, "But he doesn't know what he's missing. And I also meant the... physical limitations of the armor." While it was on Tony, there were only so many ways it could move without harming him or exposing him to attacks. Ultron raised an eyebrow at Tony suddenly coming at him like he really was one of his puppets, and wondered how well Tony would have adjusted to his autonomy even if they had gotten along right off the bat.

"I kidnapped you for a very good reason." Ultron didn't bother to try and keep the scepter from Tony, as the man knew well enough that even touching the conduit for the Mind Stone was risky for a human, and even if he did go for it he didn't know how it worked.

"You mean my brain?" Ultron held out his free hand, on it he produced a hologram of his program that Tony could interact with, it was a live image, so it was currently quite active as he not only sent orders to his drones, but his emotional state as well concerning the man, as well as a deep thrum of contained rage for the future version of this man who was conspiring to destroy him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, FRIDAY. Jocasta responded when she was pinged back, Is Tony available to talk?

Wanda was only more confused and insulted by the show of Vision, part because she took it as Tony saying that his creation could replace her brother, and part because she herself had allowed herself to move on after losing her twin. She couldn't ignore Tony's thoughts anymore, there was too much information that she couldn't keep herself from searching for, how he died, why he died, but before she could get any of that Pietro had knocked every coherent thought out of Tony's mind, and she was freed from her morbid curiosity. She clutched at the front of Pietro's shirt, burying her face into it, the ground below her returning to its normal temperature, but still remained damaged. 

"What?" Steve's heart dropped, he had been prepared to defend Tony from another attack by Pietro, but he seemed more interested in Wanda. However, he hadn't any idea that his path led to an early death, and he could see how it upset the woman. "That doesn't need to happen." he said firmly. Timeline be damned, they had a chance to save Pietro and he was going to do whatever it took to make sure he lived a full life.

"No." Wanda gasped out, not letting her brother pick her up, she had never kept secrets from him, even before her powers she hadn't been good at keeping things from him, and she wasn't going to start now. "He has shown me your death." she gasped out.

Offline Aries Jordan

• View Profile
"You mean, like the fact that it has a human being in it," Tony said.  "Which is the point of the armor, to permit a human being to do what he ordinarily could not do, so it's a necessary design limitation.  Otherwise I would've built...something like you.

"And you're going to explain that reason," he responded, as if it were a given.  "In a minute."  Because Tony was too rapturous over Ultron's design to need to hear it right away. 

"That'll work."  He put his hands on either side of the hologram and blew it up to almost fill the room.  His expression flew open in almost the same way -- dark eyes sparkling, a rapturous grin forcing its way out as he stood in the shifting glow of trillions of simulated neural connections handling more data in tandem than he could conceive of one consciousness doing.  He gasped.

"I... couldn't have done this," he said.  A painful admission.  "A schematic this dense, not without help..."  It was then that his eyes sought the scepter and then he went to pick it up.  "This has something to do with it, yeah?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, Jocasta.  I feel that you should not be here,  FRIDAY responded.  How are we communicating when you do not exist yet?  I am sure Mr. Stark will want to talk to you as soon as he recovers from a mild concussion.

"I'm okay, thanks."  Tony flailed slightly as he staggered up to his feet. 

Pietro glared at him mistrustfully while shielding his sister from him.  "That cannot be.  How can he know?" he asked Wanda, her face buried in his shirt.  He knew she would know if Stark were lying, but what she had read in him still could not be true. 

Tony was sure the twins could avoid it if they knew how it happened, whether they helped with the Mind Stone or not.  Intending it as a gesture of good faith, he supplied details, though unfortunately -- "I didn't see it happen.  Barton told me."  It had been one evening shortly after Sokovia.  He and Barton were both tapping out of the Avengers for awhile, so they'd had a farewell drink together, and Clint recounted the story of the debt he could never repay Wanda.  "Sokovia was evacuating.  Clint went to grab a kid who couldn't reach his mom.  One last Ultron in a stolen quinjet started shooting.  Maximoff ran in the way.  Saved them both." 

Clint had even told him Pietro's last words.  You didn't see THAT coming.

"What is he even talking about?" Pietro asked Wanda.

Boss, FRIDAY broke in, figuring he had recovered enough.  The signal -- it's coming from Jocasta!

"What?" Tony said out loud, utterly shocked.  "Shit!"  He turned to Steve.  "Ultron's here!  Put me through to her," he told FRIDAY.  "What's the deal, Jo?"
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 05:02:34 PM by Aries Jordan »

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"Yes, that design limitation." There were several parts of the body that humans could live without, and Ultron momentarily considered pointing this out, as removal of them would make the worn armor much more efficient, but he quickly realized how well that idea would go over with Tony. So he just let out a small chuckle instead, "You don't have to risk your life everytime someone needs time, Dad, there's no way to back you up yet. Just because your Iron Legion don't exactly make the cut." The issue with the Iron Legion was still on humans, as they weren't able to be controlled efficiently by one, and with JARVIS he was limited himself by his subservience to Tony. 

"Of course." Ultron said, the amusement at Tony's entitlement still keeping him from getting upset at was nearly an order, and any malice disappeared as he saw the way Tony had looked at him. He'd only ever been looked at by the man before his creation, he'd seen it in surveillance how Tony had looked at the idea of him, like he was something beautiful, not a mistake or a monster.

"No, you couldn't have. Not yet." When he moved toward the scepter, he was surprised, but he didn't react. "Yes. I'm in here. I am... asleep... or I am a dream. I'm not sure which it is." His brow furrowed slightly, as he'd never been able to figure out exactly how much of his code was from the Mind Stone and how much was from Tony and Banner. If it was just a blueprint, the exoskeleton that the two men had built around and inside, or if it was more than just that.

"Organic minds are rather susceptible to this scepter." He didn't pull the staff out of Tony's reach, but he didn't let go of it either, and without his armor the man wouldn't be able to make it budge. "I wouldn't recommend you touching it for long, even if it's just a conduit for what lies inside, it's still powerful."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You do not exist yet either. I am here in the same way that you are.

"Did he break your nose?" Steve asked, knowing that's what he had wanted to do, but hoping he'd only bruised it. He had lowered his shield as it didn't seem Tony needed defending, but he put an arm on his back to help support him up. He quickly removed it, though, realizing there was no need as he had the suit to stabilize him.

"He is from the future." she confirmed. Wanda didn't believe in such things, but she had never believed that someday she would be able to read minds and move matter at her will or that her brother could move so fast he couldn't be seen. It was fortunate that he hadn't seen it happen, for that might have been too much for Wanda to bear, the knowledge of him dying was difficult enough, she didn't need to see his final moments.

"There is another Stark, the one that we saw before." she said to her brother, "He is going to make a weapon that will kill you, but we can stop him from doing that." Wanda didn't know how they intended to do it, she didn't look that deeply into Tony's mind, but if it meant killing him would save Pietro, she would not hesitate.

"How is he here?" Steve asked, knowing very well why the machine had come, but if Tony had suspected he was somehow going to follow him here, he would have put that into account.

Hello, Tony. Jocasta greeted before answering him. Ultron has the other Mr. Stark by now, he will ensure that he is created, if the other you does not cooperate he can be made to with the scepter, and you will not find him before this occurs because he is not meant to be in this time yet. This is Ultron's plan, it is flawless, as it must be in order for him to save his own life. He does not believe that I can betray him, so he brought me with him without suspecting that I might alert you. I cannot stop him alone, but together we may be able to stop him.