Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

Frozen Echos [M]

Offline Commanderori

• View Profile
If the college is big enough, running it can seem like controlling your own little empire. Students divided into classes, teaches divided by subjects, and each of them controlling his own little classroom. Of course, looking back at it, there is a bit of a difference. For one, other countries are typically employers or clients instead of friends an enemies. That's a fair sized one. Of course, having a quarter of a million people to take care of was also a fair difference, where it was less than five thousand previously. Food, shelter, protection.... Seeing to all of them, and making sure there is plenty to go around.

They also make a pretty good army, if you gather a bunch of them together and send them against someone nearby. Of course, that also works better if you don't send them against a mages collage run by a dragon. That didn't go quite as well as the fallen king had hoped, to the tune of several hundred statues of what used to be soldiers, along with hundreds more burned, electrocuted, blown away, or otherwise learned that when attacking mages, bring something better than a sword and a shirt made out of ex-cow.

The next thing the people in his capital, a dark, dreary, and one of the worst places to live in a small but terrible empire new.... the castle was gone. Overnight, it had been removed and replaced with a gleaming tower hundreds of feet tall, decked out with magic that seemingly spread an infectious cleanliness across everything that could see it. That afternoon the massive silver wyrm rumored to live in the mountains bordering their country made an appearance, coming from inside the new tower to address the citizens of the rapidly cleaning and repairing city. Turns out he had only been tolerating the fallen king for so long as he respected the boundaries of the mountains he called home, and an attack upon the college was the final straw. He'd never had any great ambitions to take over the world, but with his experience and power he had decided that perhaps it was time to take a small chunk of it and see what he could make of it. Blotting out the fallen king happened to be a good excuse to start, and he was never one to waste an opportunity.

That was two years ago. Since then, Colossus and the mages guild had rewritten the fortunes of the small country. Where previously nothing had grown, the land was fertile and bursting with produce. Squalid cities were swept clean by a small army of magic, dancing cleaning implements, plants growing from the delapidated buildings and pulling them back together into clean, workable spaces. The neighboring nations had for the most part found this a positive change as well, after a quiet year the trade of vibrant magical crafts, food and linens, and just about anything they could want started to pour out from the newly remade country. Beinn Reota, as he had renamed the country from it's previous and rather lackluster 'fallen empire' moniker given to it by the previous owner, was all set to bring magic out of the quiet corners and into the view of the public.

-----

Of course, not everyone was willing to take their good fortune and roll with it. One of the kingdoms on the far side of the mountains had decided to only play nice, accepting the trade agreement with open arms and taking what was offered. Of course, they never did send anything back, destroying the magical airships that had been sent with the goods and snubbing the envoys sent to find where it had gone. And they got away with it for a while, until it filtered its way up the inevitable bureaucracy to Collossus' desk. Some small concessions were to be ensured, but bold faced theft like that was too much for him to ignore, especially with the destruction of his airships.

The next day, sometime around 11 am, the skies above the offending kingdom's capital had suddenly blackened, a cold chill creeping across the city that is out of place for the early fall, ice forming on windows and open containers of water freezing over as the sun is blotted out by dark clouds. There was no lightning, but the faint snow falling from the sky was the only herald of a massive form dropping from the clouds, Collossus opening his wings just in time to arrest his fall and landing with a terrifying crash in the courtyard. Slowly stretching up and up to his full height, all of the people around staring open mouthed at the great silver Wyrm come to pay a visit. Fifty feet tall and more than a hundred and twenty long it was only the opulence of the palace that let him fit here without having to coil himself up, though one of his six legs had taken out a fountain in the landing. Leaning his head down, Collossus locks eyes with one of the still gaping guards at the palace gates and exhales a cloud of freezing mist, just long enough to make sure he has their undivided attention, before speaking. "Hello, little being. I've a bit of an issue with your lord, and wish to speak to them. Would you let them know I have arrived, in the event that was not self evident, of course."
Bullets might have someone’s name on them, but 20 kilos of high explosives is more “To whom it may concern”.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Clean and cook. Cook and clean. Go fetch the laundry. Come tend to me, maid.

Emilia found a little corner of the palace where no one would find her and she crawled in before she sat and hugged her knees while staring out a singular window. It wasn't as though she hated her life; it was the only one she had ever known. She was created specifically with this in mind and she didn't know what she would do with herself if she did anything else. Letting her white blonde hair cover her face, she cast her mismatched eyes down on the stone floor. Her emperor's kingdom was teeming with discovery, advancements originally though unobtainable, and filled to the brim with life.

It was no secret that Emperor Kier was a skilled alchemist and openly encouraged all kinds of experimentation in magic, medicine, and other things which Emilia couldn't think of off the top of her head. But his greatest achievement is the creation of life. From what she was told, corpse after corpse was tossed to the side once they proved that they weren't viable to live. She, herself, was the only surviving homunculus that emerged from his alchemy tower. From then, she was sent to keep the palace spotless and stay in his bedchamber whenever he asked her to. In this sense, she had a bit of fondness for him. Even if he kept putting off announcing their engagement over and over in favor of Lady, who was a fae queen from another kingdom.

"Emilia?" someone called, pulling her from her thoughts. A royally garbed man entered the room and chuckled at the sight of her. "You silly girl. What are you doing hiding in here?"

"I..." Emilia looked at him with her lavender and sea green eyes. "I don't know."

"Surely you do." He knelt down and brushed her hair from her face. "But that's not important right now. I'll find out soon enough. Why don't we head outside? I have something to show you." With that, he rose and offered a hand to her.

She nodded. "Yes, my Emperor." Taking his hand, she lifted herself from the ground and walked with him to the courtyard. Shivering at how cold it suddenly got, she grasped his arm when she saw the skies turn black and ice forming on the windows. After some time, a guard stopped in front of her and Kier.

"My lord," the guard said. "Colossus is here!"

Kier sighed and nodded, moving him out of the way with Emilia in tow. Making his way to the courtyard, he brought his gaze up to the dragon and ignored the one fountain that was crushed under one of his legs.

Emilia immediately gazed at the dragon in awe. "Is this what you wanted to show me?" she asked excitedly.

"Well, no..." Kier ignored the disappointed look on her face and addressed the dragon. "What is it now?" he questioned, his tone laced in annoyance. "Don't you have anything better to do?"
The dragon becomes me...

Offline Commanderori

• View Profile
As he waited, Collossus passed the time staring down on of the guards, all six eyes on the understandably nervous man. He doubted this fellow had anything to do with the problems that had brought him here, it still amused him how the guards were reacting. Fortunately for them, he didn't have to wait long for the Emperor to show up. Turning his gaze to the man, Collossus cant help but be equally bemused by how not bothered he was. "Well, since you ask.... No. No I really don't. I was content to leave my emissaries to deal with other nations, but as rudely as they were snubbed by your people and the two airships carrying trade goods to your civilization that were lost in your territory..."

Letting that sit for a moment, Collossus examines his companion curiously. Outwardly there wasn't anything special about her besides the heterochromia, but she certainly smelled different from any of the other people here and he could clearly see that she was involved with magic somehow. And also some value to the Emperor if the way they acted when arriving told him anything. "I'm certain it was some sort of misunderstanding that can be resolved once your diplomats have had a nap and a cup of tea.... and while I loathe to perpetuate any stereotypes about dragons... I have just recently put my new nation back into some semblance of order. And you, unfortunately, are to set the precedent for future incidents. So, I shall have to insist on a down payment for the lost supplies until an equitable arrangement can be made." While his tone could indicate that he meant gems or gold or some sort of treasure, his pose and the displeased expression on his face more than likely indicated that is hardly going to be a fitting option.
Bullets might have someone’s name on them, but 20 kilos of high explosives is more “To whom it may concern”.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
"Well, I haven't heard anything about your airships," Kier lied. "And your emissaries didn't need to meet with my people. How can you be sure that it's my army taking down your airships?" While he spoke to the dragon king, he had Emilia remain close to him as he had always disliked how Collossus looked at him. "If there are any small bands of bandits targeting your airships, I'm sure I can gather enough men to track them down. Otherwise, don't act like I'm the one responsible for it just because they fell in my kingdom."

When the dragon said he was to be made an example of, he snorted. "What could you possibly do that would be so awful? And what sort of down payment were you hoping for?"

Emilia looked up at dragon, seeing that he had six eyes and how much he towered over everything. She was about to walk towards him when Kier gripped her waist and kept her back. But if he was there because his airships went missing and Kier's diplomats refused to see them... well, she would be upset, too, if she was put in that situation.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline Commanderori

• View Profile
If anything, Collossus looked amused by what he was hearing from Kier. Perhaps he could have played off the airships going down reasonably, aside the fact they were his airships, but saying the emissaries didn't show up? "Well, that is an interesting tale. Not mentioning your amusing tale about the missing emissaries, we both know, no 'small band of bandits' could have brought my ships down. I was sending you artifacts and spellcraft in a warship, not a load of cattle in a balloon."

Collossus just chuckles at his question. "Well. Perhaps payment is the wrong word. No, I intend to take your risen friend here." His eyes moving isn't much to speak of as close as they are, but he's clearly looking at Emilla. "You clearly value their presence, and I'm aware of your... experiments. A spell for a spell seems very much a fair deal... As he speaks collossus shimmers and is suddenly standing infront of them in a rather more interpersonal manner, a dragonkin a good nine feet tall with a wingspan easily twice his new height. He's wearing surprisingly informal attire, though clearly enchanted, with a sword at his hip that is clearly decorative. to me. I'm perfectly happy to take them and leave, or I could raise my voice a little. Your choice.

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
"But, my Emperor," said Emilia timidly, "you said no on-"

"Quiet," snapped Kier, clearly begging to act a little on edge as Collossus went on about what he wanted. With that, he watched as the dragon shifted into a dragonkin. Now, he wouldn't say that he was a little intimidated by him, given how Emilia now looked at him with a gleam in her eye. "Emilia is not a 'them.'"

Emilia began to walk forward before she felt Kier grab her arm. For a moment, she looked back at him. "It's alright. I know you'll come back for me."

Huffing in frustration, he released her arm. "Fine. Go with him if you want." There was no point in arguing and he'd rather that she went willingly rather than being taken by force. He would have to devise a way to get his precious creation back.

His creation, on the other hand, walked up to Collossus and curtsied. While she was unsure of what lied ahead for her, she braced herself for wat could be her fate.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline Commanderori

• View Profile
Hmmm. It seemed perhaps there was more between them than he had thought. That actually made her possibly more useful as a... guest. The fact that she agreed to come with him willingly and Kier allowing her to go without even much of any protest surprised him though, Collossus raising an eyebrow at them. "Indeed. But that you would just let her go like that, without even a real complaint? Hah. And here I was all ready to be Dragony for a little while. Well, that's good. Once you've arraigned proper payment, I'll see her returned to you."

Giving her a proper bow back, Collossus extends a hand to Emilia and waits a moment for her to take it. Once she has he pulls her closer to him and picks her up carefully, wings spreading behind him with a whoosh of air. "I'm not exactly hard to find, should you need to Emperor Kier." Whomping his wings downwards Collossus takes off with a similar blast of air to the one he made landing, his magic pulling most of the ice from the walls and ground as he does. Once about a thousand feet up he turns their path to the north, the onrushing air as frigid as should be expected from the mountains they're going to cross. "It should only be about an hour before we've arrived at the new college, I fly quite rapidly. And don't worry about any stories you may have heard about these mountains, the creatures here know better than to bother me."

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Emilia looked down at Collossus' hand before taking it, her cheeks reddening significantly as he pulled her closer and took to the air. Aside from Kier, she had never been physically close to another man. The ice melted away as she flew off with him, and she clung tightly to him as she kept looking at the world down below. The air began to grow colder, and she hoped that the flight would be over soon.

Much to her despair, she frowned at the mention of being an hour away from their destination. "What's it like?" she asked him, trying to think of anything that would pull her thoughts from her current situation.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline Commanderori

• View Profile
Oblivious to her discomfort, Collossus doesn't turn look down at her until she addresses him. Being a silver dragon he was inured to the cold, though he hadn't considered she might have an issue. Still, if it became an issue he could always use his magic to warm her up. "By 'it' I assume you mean my new college. It's a wonderful structure, replacing the castle that had been there previously. Its several hundred feet tall, consisting of maybe a dozen floors above the main hall and my... Lets call it an audience chamber, since 'throne room' has the wrong connotations. It's cold, perhaps, as neither I nor my daughter like the heat, but I do my best to keep things well light and bright. You needn't worry, you will be my guest not my prisoner at least until your emperor provides the compensation due."
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 04:26:35 PM by Commanderori »

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Emilia listened to Collossus as he explained to her what the college was like and that he had a daughter. She glanced up at for a moment, though things like that shouldn't come as a surprise. Shivering slightly, she did her best to not look down as she was already uncomfortable with how high up she was at that moment. "Is there a dragon queen?" she asked him. If he had a daughter, then surely he had a wife.

It was more than enough to know that she wouldn't be treated as a prisoner. Her emperor would at least be pleased to hear as much, but she hoped that he would compensate the dragon king soon so tat she would return to Kier. Though time would tell if he did just that.
The dragon becomes me...

Offline Commanderori

• View Profile
Collossus was doing a fair job of appearing to not pay attention, flying along as though capturing maidens was his day job, but after a moment he snaps fingers and it warms up (if only a little) around them. It wouldn't do for her to end up with frostbite after all. "Dragon Queen? Oh goodness no. I'm not a king, either. I don't have an official title, even. Most people just call my by the silly moniker 'Collossus'. No, my daughter is adopted. No one is quite sure what they are, though as slowly as they are growing my suspicious is that they are some variety of fluffy dragon. They certainly look close enough."

Offline PendragonXeno94

• View Profile
Emilia almost sighed contently as it began to warm up. Though, she became more curious about how he actually wasn't a king. But she nodded all the same, even when he told her his daughter was adopted. As much as she wanted to divulge into how she had been preparing for motherhood, she chose not to. It was still too much to think about, especially given what had happened recently.

"Fluffy?" she asked him. She certainly had no idea dragons could be fluffy. Perhaps this made them friendlier...
The dragon becomes me...