Visionary Tales
If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.UPDATE!! 5/16/19: Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

Die Feder (MxM) CathedraPetri x Jabba

Offline Jabbathejack

• Manager
    • View Profile
Archive - http://archive.visionary-tales.com/r-jabbajuice-die-feder-m-x-m-18-t22606.html

"I look forward to it." Kailin smiled broadly. He was a fast learner and he'd made sure that he'd paid attention when shadowing Nadine.

The work was far from easy; he doubted that he could have found a job that was even more removed from what he was used to even if he had tried. There were certain things that Nadine had expected him to know, yet he had needed to be walked through these step by step.

The concept of money was another thing; on his home world, they used credits that were transmited through virtual devices, yet here, many transactions were conducted with paper scraps and metal disks that were called coins. The paper scraps were confusing, with strange symbols written on them. It had taken him some time to learn what these symbols meant, yet they were important, dictating the value of the paper. After a little while, he felt that he had gotten the hang of the system.

Setting out the ingredients, Kailin began the initial task of measuring out the correct amounts. Again, this was an important step, as if the proportions were incorrect then the final cookie would be imperfect.

Kailin looked up as the bell sounded, smiling as he set down the bowl and approached the counter to serve the customer.

"Good morning, Sir."

He blinked with surprise as the customer recognised him. They might comment on his unusual looks, but very few of them remembered his name, even with it written on a tag on his uniform. He recognised the young man as being a regular customer.

"Yes, that's right." Kailin paused, trying to remember what the young man usually ordered.

"Poppy seed cake?"
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 04:17:56 PM by Jabbathejack »

Offline matinsandvespers

• View Profile
"O, you remembered!" The spectacled young man answered. His voice had a palpable coyness to it; obviously flirting. "Yes, please. If you would be so kind, the poppy seed cake and an espresso panna cotta."

As Kailin went to retrieve the morsel, one could see the man's eyes widen with desire as he watched Kailin cut a piece of the stodgy cake from the rest of the round. The flesh of it was a dark melange of black, brown and purple with the occasional fleck of white peeking throughout, like a lone star in a light-polluted sky or the black noise flickering across an old analog television. But was it the cake that he was salivating at?

He waited patiently and silently for Kailin to return to the register. His money was prepared in hand. Each bill, pressed. Each coin polished and calculated to the last mite. Whoever this creature was, he was creature of habit. He was a creature of extreme fastidiousness. He was a creature of obsessive attentiveness. He had his eyes on Kailin.

"Thank you." The male said as he slid the dessert late closer to himself in exchange for his fare. "I'll be over there in my usual spot -- studying -- when they bring out my drink. I~~~" His voice lingered on the opening pronoun for a moment, "my name is Ira, by the way. And, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance Kailin. Have you~~~ lived in town long? I noticed that you just started working here, and you have quite the exotic look about you. Let's just say that I am... interested in getting to know you."

Well, if there was anything about this creature, subtlety was not his forte.

EDITED Playby: Cameron Boyce until I can find someone better suited.

Offline Jabbathejack

• Manager
    • View Profile
"Poppy seed cake and espresso panna cotta coming right up." Kailin smiled as he repeated the order, just as he had been taught to.

In the time that Kailin had worked here, he had learned much about the humans around him. It had been a surprise that such a technologically backwards civilisation could have such similar facial expressions, showing quite complex emotions and thought processes. Generally, they seemed to be quicker to anger than his own race was, judging from how some of them raised their voices if their latte was not just so.

He had noticed that humans had a peculiar reaction to food in general; some acted almost as if what they were about to eat induced a reaction akin to sexual desire, unless he was reading their expressions completely wrong.

This particular customer's reaction was more extreme than most, yet Kailin tried not to let his concern show. Camille had spoken at length about his worries about what might happen to them if he was ever discovered by the authorities; it made Kailin realise exactly how much of a risk to the entire family he was simply by being there.

Was this man being genuinely friendly, or was he some agent of the nefarious sounding government that Camille had talked about? How could he tell?

"Pleased to meet you." He tried to push aside his fears, smiling brightly. "I'm from York. New York."

Camille had assured him that this city was somewhere that was so large, no one would really know the difference whether he was from there or not. Presumably, it was next to Old York.

"I've only been here a few weeks."

"Ira." He repeated the unfamiliar name, yet of course, to him every name was unfamiliar.

Offline matinsandvespers

• View Profile
"New York, hmm?" As Ira was considering Kailin's response, his eyes traced the ceiling as though there was some sort of cue written on it to inform the young man of what he should say next. "Like I said, you do have an exotic cosmopolitan look about you." With that, Ira, pastry in hand, walked away to his usual place, where he took a seat, waiting until his beverage was produced. Sitting down, he unloaded a his backpack which contained within several large tomes. It did appear that Ira was some sort of student. And an intelligent one at that, or at least that was the appearance. The book which he now cracked open was a darkly coloured book embossed white bright white type. Legrangian Mechanics and Beyond was the title of the book, and it appeared to be as riveting as it was small. Albeit, Ira leaved through pages until he came to a stopping point, and -- pulling out a notepad -- he began to write with pen as he worked to solve the problems which one would presume had been assigned to him.

A matter of moments passed, and the panna cotta was produced; a male voice from the kitchen announcing it as the miniature cup of thick espresso topped white sterling white whipped cream was pushed, sitting on a small saucer, through a little square window for Kailin to serve.

Offline Jabbathejack

• Manager
    • View Profile
Kailin turned back to his work as his customer turned to his books, yet he was still wary, throwing the odd subtle glance his way. It was not long before the drink was ready and Kailin obediently carried it over and set it on the table.

"Enjoy."

He smiled as he walked away, ready to get back to the cookie mix that was waiting. He did not have a lot of time to complete the recipe correctly.