Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

His Shadows Bow Down [M] (Aeon+Kei)

Kei · 50 · 4122

Offline Kei

• View Profile
[Link to thread on old site: http://visionary-tales.com/m-his-shadows-bow-down-t22865.html#p40057949]

[Previous Post:]
Atem frowned, turning his attention in the direction of his mate as he noted the strain in not just her posture but across their bond as well. He did not chastise her though, knowing well it would do little good. Instead, he came down to land near her with the use of his shadows as a sort of staircase. "All things considered, this actually did go well. Slifer is up and dealing with his tantrum in the shadow realm. Tokoyami isn't hurt, at least not any amount a good rest won't clear up. This one here," he gestured to the small female dragon in his arms, "didn't hurt anyone either. At least not irreparably so. That was my main cause for concern here. She would not survive causing another's demise and, what's more, she is more than capable of doing it. This tail could even give my scales a good scarring."

He looked down at the small bundle, grateful she slept. He'd have to return her to someplace safe for herself--she wouldn't tolerate waking up in Tokoyami's presence after the monumental blunder that had just occurred. "This is the most nonsensical thing, really. The both of them need precisely what the other offers in their basic nature, and yet neither can act on it." He stopped as Yugi spoke of Tsuyu and then nodded. "That's honestly just as well. It should have happened years ago. It won't be comfortable for any party included, but it needs to happen. Whining over it, or avoiding it, isn't going to work for either party anymore. The both of them will do better after it is all said and done, and he can finally start acting like an actual dragon inside of one held down by chains that do nothing but wound him. I know he doesn't care for that aspect of himself, but that may be because he's never had the choice to enjoy it." He sighed.

"I will leave him to you and meet you back home after I get this one somewhere safe."

Yugi sighed and shook her head; feeling the concern from her mate over the strain she'd put herself through and thankful he hadn't said anything to her about it. After all, it went against her nature not to help a friend in need and Tokoyami had definitely needed the help. Even now as he rested against her she knew she'd have to get him home somehow; which was annoying but not impossible. Instead she focused on Atem and his words regarding the situation and Tsuyu's return. "They had to do it on their own, or it would have been so much worse. I know that sounds stupid, but it's just how it works with them. And he never enjoyed it because he's never felt like it was his choice either way to embrace or reject that part of himself; not because he couldn't enjoy it. And he may yet decide he'd rather reject that part of himself, but at least he'll be able to decide for himself and not because he's at the mercy of his instincts. That has to count for something."

She looked over the female asleep in Atem's arms and shook her head. "Take care of her, I'll get him home then I'll be home as well." She considered the pair quietly for a long while before sighing. "Even if they are what the other needs, it's ultimately their choice what they want to do and we both know that." Which was why she was never repeating that statement of Atem's near Tokoyami, he just wasn't ready. In time, maybe, but the both of them would be staying well out of it in the meantime. She waited a beat until Atem had left with Evelyn before shifting again and taking Tokoyami home. She was so far passed exhausted when she finally got home it wasn't even funny. Tokoyami's emotions were not a fun place for her to be.

It was a week later when Yugi got a phone call that made anxiety and tired resignation enter the bond. It was time then. 'Atem, Tsuyu's coming over to visit before she speaks to Tokoyami. I've already cleared my schedule for the day, but do you think you'll be able to be here when she comes? We've got about an hour if that helps. If you can't that's fine too, but I wanted to warn you.' Because she knew her friend needed to brace herself before speaking with Tokoyami once more. Tsuyu was a blunt person, but hated hurting those she cared about. So she was understandably nervous and it put Yugi - who was stuck in the  middle of it - on edge. Hence her desire to have Atem with her. She'd held either way, she'd just rather not do it alone.

Offline Aeon

• Teal Knight
    • View Profile
“It’s not stupid,” he answered. “Though it is a bit grating and decidedly inconvenient at times. You are right, he may still decide to reject that part, though I’d wish he’d give it an honest attempt before deciding it was the worst possible thing in his life. I do not think it fair he loathes that part of himself when he isn’t even properly acquainted with it. Be that as it may, I cannot and will not fight him on it. It is his choice in the end.” He nodded to her request and wished her well before he left to find a safe place for Evelyn.

The following week when he received Yugi’s warning, a mental wince crosses over the bond. While he would certainly try to be there, he had been called to assist with a bit of body guarding of a high profile official for a certain event scheduled in the downtown city area. ”I will try to be there, but I am not certain when this mess is supposed to end. If it drags on for much longer, I will see if I can get someone to cover for me while Tsuyu is visiting. I’m not certain at the end of it all it is wise for either of us to be there when she speaks with him. If she wants us, that’s another matter, but he is entirely too private to care for my being there and, much bough he loves you, even you may be too much to witness his wounded pride in that instance.”

Offline Kei

• View Profile
Yugi sighed, running a hand through her hair. She was already tired and her friend hadn't even arrived yet. 'It's just Tsuyu coming over, not both of them yet. I think she wanted to talk about some things before she spoke to him. I'll...let you know how it goes so don't worry about it. I just wanted to warn you what was going to happen because once she's in the city again it won't be long before he realizes it. I just hope I can get out of range if things go south. I'll hope for the best though, for both of their sake.' She sounded sad but resigned to what would come; because really it did need to happen. Still, this wasn't going to be good no matter what and she already knew she'd have a migraine afterwards.

She thought about it long and hard for the next hour and just before Tsuyu had said to expect her she reached out again. 'Don't worry about this, I think I can handle it alone. Just...do me a favor and get me some hot chocolate on your way home.' She took a moment to pull some of the calm confidence her intended wore like a second skin around herself as well before taking a deep breath and letting it out just as slowly as she released him from her hold. She could do this. 'This isn't going to be fun, wish me luck.' She pulled away from the bond between them after that just as a knock sounded at the door. Tsuyu had arrived. Taking another deep breath, Yugi went to answer the door and start what was sure to be a difficult conversation.

She managed not to wince at the sight of her friend with her walking cane and instead grinned at her and let her in. Part of her still felt badly for what had happened to Tsuyu even though it wasn't any of it her fault. Looking the other girl over though, it seemed she hadn't changed much in the last few years. She'd gotten a bit taller definitely, and now Tsuyu stood with a calm sort of quiet confidence and had always amazed Yugi for how strong her friend must be. She could feel the conflicting emotions slamming up against her shields even as the girl feeling those emotions looked calm on the outside. She also sensed the sudden tension in the distant Tokoyami as he roused from sleep as the sudden awareness of his intended hit him hard.

Yugi did wince at the stronger, more chaotic emotions coming from Tokoyami before tightening her shields around her even tighter and mentally cursing the timing her two friends had for doing things. She kept herself calm though, because she was going to have to. Tokoyami wouldn't come unless he was called, thankfully, but this entire thing had her tense and on edge in a way little else had in her entire life. In fact, the last time she'd been this tense, she'd been a new student at UA. This was going to be bad.

Offline Aeon

• Teal Knight
    • View Profile
”I cannot imagine this will go any sense of the word civilly.” There was a touch of disdain in his phrasing but otherwise Atem was as calm as ever. He truly did hate not being able to be there with her. Even if there was nothing he could do for the situation with her friends, at least not until they patched things up between the two of them, he could hopefully be there for his mate.

”You know I wish you the utmost luck. I will certainly bring you whatever you wished once I am done with this business. Just let me know if you need my interference for whatever reason. Things will go as well as they should.”

Offline Kei

• View Profile
'Civil, yes, it goes against the disposition of both for it not to. But rather or not it will go well is still up for debate.' And by the tension she could sense in the pair at their awareness of one another in the same city, she'd have to say this wasn't going to be a good day for her. She led Tsuyu to the couch before setting about making tea for the both of them knowing her friend would need it and so would she.  Yugi took the time to strengthen her shields more against the coming onslaught of this situation and she couldn't help but wish it was over already. Yes it needed to happen but her poor head wasn't thanking her for doing the right thing by her friends. She gave Tsuyu the silence she needed to gather her thoughts and was ready when her friend finally was ready to talk.

The conversation went alright, Yugi felt, but the powerful emotions - usually dark ones - that were constantly bombarding her were giving her a serious migraine and making her dizzy. Thus it was probably a good thing she kept her seat through the entirety of it. Then again, this was only the first part of what was going to be a very bad day for her. Tokoyami was aware of just how close to him Tsuyu was and he also knew that soon she'd want to speak with him. That tension in the both of them at that knowledge was overpowering with one of them so close to her and the other holding a tie to her because of her need to help him so often with her quirk. Still, she kept her breathing even and her expression calm even as she was constantly now needing help through her tie to Atem to not show the pain such combined powerful emotions was causing her. It was a major downside to her quirk; one she'd never get rid of and she accepted that.

Instead she drew more of the calm strength of her mate closer to her and let that settle her frayed nerves because she knew this was all about to get so much worse. This proved to be correct because Tsuyu outright asked if it was alright for Tokoyami to come so she could speak to him there in what would be a neutral place for the both of them. Yugi sighed, but she did agree, sensing Tokoyami moving before she had the chance to reach for him. He knew he was wanted and he was already coming to Tsuyu's side. She watched as her friend turned to the right just as the shadows lengthened before moving back to reveal Tokoyami. The instant tension in the room between the pair set Yugi on edge and she sat up straighter in her seat. 'I have a bad feeling about this...' She really hoped she didn't have to call Atem from his mission to help her.

She watched Tokoyami reach out for the woman that had once been, and yet remained, someone that he loved dearly. She winced as he dropped his hand before it ever touched her, feeling unworthy of doing so considering his failure against her. Tsuyu, for her part, held her ground and met his gaze squarely. Yugi, however, felt the echoing pain from Tokoyami and focused on bracing herself again. This was really very bad. The two stood before each other for the first time in years, simply taking each other in after so long a separation. This was painful for the both of them and Yugi could tell this. Tsuyu hadn't realized just how badly she was hurting Tokoyami who in turn was in so much pain he couldn't deal with being around others for long and taking his true form was something he both found painful and abhorred absolutely. They had destroyed each other and Yugi felt it wasn't fair to either of them to have been stuck lingering in this in between for so long. It wasn't like Tsuyu had been told what it all meant, she'd been flying blind the entire time, but still.

She really felt like she shouldn't be here in this place for this mess, but they both needed her there so she couldn't just leave. Besides, it was her home they were using for this. 'If I have to knock him out because of this, I am not going to be happy.' Which considering she already wasn't happy was saying something. Mostly she was just snarking to distract herself, and she was aware Atem would know this. She didn't remove herself though, mostly because she didn't want them to destroy her home if things go violent between them. She didn't expect them to be so, but Tokoyami's emotional state was a delicate thing at that moment so she wouldn't put it passed him either. Mostly though, she just wanted this entire thing to be over so they both could move forward with their lives. As expected, Tokoyami was the first to do something in the situation, though his tone was subdued and very cautious.

"Hello starlight..." He shook his head, bracing himself against the instinct to be closer to his intended one even though she had rejected him so. He had to stand strong in this, he couldn't fail her again. "Tsuyu I...I'm so sorry. I know I...I failed you. I couldn't...hold onto who I was and gods know I tried. I should have been stronger, I should have...done something, anything!" The keening sound that left him had Yugi wincing again as a sharp pang of sorrow went through her at just how hurt this had made Tokoyami. He felt things so deeply and was so quiet about it, she'd known he was in a bad way but this...It made her sincerely grateful for Atem's presence in her life and that they'd worked things out between them. Because this...she didn't think she'd survive going through the same. She was startled out of her thoughts by sudden movement as Tsuyu moved forward and placed her hands gently on either side of Tokoyami's face.

Her expression was gentle and kind as she spoke in her usual blunt but truthful manner. "You can't help who you are, ribbit, and I failed you just as much Tokoyami. I thought I could handle all of who you were, and when I couldn't and things got out of hand...You hurt me, but I forgive you. I'm just sorry it took me so long to come and do this, ribbit, you didn't deserve to be hurt so much because of me." Nevermind that she had also been hurt deeply by this entire mess, it was just part of who she was to put others first. Watching them together, Yugi could see clearly how they could fit so easily together if things had been different, and it pained her to see them finally having an end after falling so far apart from one another. She knew they still loved each other, but they both knew it was good for them to be together and it was very brave of them both to take this step into the unknown.

She saw Tokoyami nuzzling into the palm against his face, a gesture she knew he couldn't help but make after having been away from his intended for so long. Still, Tsuyu didn't seem to mind so she didn't intervene. She was thus startled when Tsuyu turned to regard her. "How to I do this Yugi? What do I do? I don't know that he ever knew either, but we can't stay this way either of us. It's not right, ribbit." She looked back up at Tokoyami, knowing his instinct was what had gotten them so far, but she also knew he didn't know how to set them both free either. It wasn't as simple as saying some words; they were too deeply bonded for that. The fact that he was crooning lowly to her in an effort to comfort her only made this hurt all the worse. He was a good man, was Tokoyami, and he deserved to be with someone that could handle and accept all of him. She hated that it wasn't her, but she'd tried her best and it hadn't been enough. She had to accept that and let him go just as much as he had to accept it wasn't his fault and release her from his hold as well.

Yugi shook her head, heart breaking for her two dearest friends but knowing this was for this best. It hurt to see them like this, but there was nothing for it. She racked her brain for a long moment over Tsuyu's question, then realized they already have the answer. Sorrow filled her heart and it made her eyes burn, but again this was for the best. "Just...you both already know how even if you don't realize it. It's always that way with dragons. Just...let each other go. The connection between  you should recognize this and release." She imagined it was going to be painful for the both of them, but it was a necessary evil. And suddenly she really didn't want to be alone dealing with this, it hurt, but Atem was busy and she couldn't be so selfish as to ask him to return simply because this entire mess upset her. It just hit way too close to home, so she couldn't help the way she felt. She dropped her head to give them privacy as they looked up at one another and she knew they were having a conversation only they could hear.

Yugi curled her arms around herself and waited, then was surprised when they both asked to use the roof of her building. She nodded numbly and led them up, startled once again when Tokoyami shifted causing Tsuyu to take a step back in reaction. She realized then what was happening. The bond had been created in this form and it had to be broken the same way. She gaped at just how large her friend was like this, and she also realized he wasn't in any pain right now despite having shifted. Right now he was a dragon showing off for his intended and he was well aware of his strength and power, all of which was for her. It was an instinct in Tokoyami she'd seen before, and now she got to marvel at it as he spread dark wings wide and bellowed a very specific sort of challenge out into the night sky. Tsuyu walked forward slowly, her cane clicking loudly against the ground as she approached.

She lifted her hands as a large, dark head descended towards her; gently taking his much larger head into her hands once more. She pressed her forehead to his, not minding as shadows swirled around the pair of them. She held her place for a long moment, remembering everything that had happened between them; all the good and the bad. Every failure, every victory, every moment of coming together and each moment of falling apart. She remembered because Yugi was right they did know how to do this. She remembered until tears fell down her face and a low keen left Tokoyami as he too remembered just as she was. It hurt, it would always hurt, but this was for the best. 'I love you, I always will. But now...I'm going to let you go. I forgive you, Tokoyami.' His entire frame shuddered as  pain shot through him, but he had to end this. 'My starlight....my only...you know I love you as well but...For you, now let me set you free.' At the same moment the two released each other and stood back; Tokoyami retaking his human shape and dropping down to his knees; crimson eyes dull and lifeless. This was  necessary, but gods did it hurt. He couldn't feel her anymore, he was alone again and he hated that. Still, he let Tsuyu walk away and knew it would be a while before he'd see her again.

Eventually Yugi came back and led him back downstairs, letting him stay with her for the night. She knew, as well as he did, that he shouldn't be alone. Tsuyu would go stay with friends as well, so that neither of them had to be alone for what was going to be the worst night of their lives. Poor Yugi was beside herself, but at least the worst was over.

Offline Aeon

• Teal Knight
    • View Profile
Atem could only intermittently reach out direct to his mate, though his shadows kept a steadfast and loyal hold on her home in the event she needed more of him. While he hated the fact he could not be with her for this particular ordeal, he imagined it was likely for the best. Tsuyu was still, according to Tokoyami's instincts, his mate and Atem's presence, well meant and non threatening or not, would not have been received well. There was also the matter it was an already extraordinarily tense situation and, given how Atem felt about the whole matter and how it should have been cleared up long ago, he doubted his input (despite the fact he wasn't likely to give it) would be in any way well received. Yugi was committed to sticking this out with her friends, though, and as they both actively needed and wanted her help, he wouldn't intervene. She would be the only one who would be able to calm Tokoyami down after this distressing time anyway and, though he held no real grudge to his grandson, he wasn't exactly thrilled about having him inside the house for the duration of that same necessary healing process. Family or not, it was still a grouping of male dragons and there was only so much courtesy they could extend to one another.

He offered warmth and reassurance when Yugi sought either throughout the long, difficult conversation between two parting mates. In the end, he did feel saddened for both parties but this was a necessary evil. Neither could move on without accepting the separation and, for Tokoyami this was a huge part in getting to a point where he could actively work alongside the Symbol of Peace without the general populace and his fellows heroes questioning what was wrong with the man. Atem remained away for long enough to accomplish his mission and to acquire food. In the event Yugi was hungry, he wanted to be prepared, nevermind the fact it was a nice gesture since she likely hadn't gotten to eat in the time it had taken for her to calm Tokoyami down and to see Tsuyu out.

He came through the shadows, a tentative tendril sent out to locate both parties in the home. "Come eat little star. I got you your favorite. I know he's asleep now, which I'm sure you pushed him toward, but he really does need the rest. With me here now though, he won't be around long. I suspect when you wake up tomorrow he will be gone but you've done a great thing for your friends. It's really all you could have done, so do not sorrow over feeling as though you needed to help more. Come and eat and then we both can rest and he can see what tomorrow will bring him."

Offline Kei

• View Profile
To say Yugi was relieved when familiar shadows reached out to her was an understatement. A gentle smile crossed onto her expression and she left the sleeping Tokoyami where he was, shutting the door to give him privacy. 'You have no idea how happy I am right now. Besides the fact I'm starving this was...extremely difficult. He's out cold now, which is good, but if he disappears in the morning without telling me goodbye he's knows I'll kill him so he'd best stick around long enough for that. Good thing I'm an early riser anyway because I don't want you two in close proximity for too long, I know you don't like it though he's too strung out to care just now.' Once she reached Atem's side she quietly reached out and hugged him, nuzzling in against his side for a bit of comfort she desperately needed. She really hadn't liked having to witness such a thing, and the echoes both saddened her and gave her a serious migraine.

She took in the scent and warmth of the male standing there so close to her and just let herself be for a long, silent moment before stepping away again to look up at him. 'Food sounds good right about now, and then I'm exhausted and need some sleep; preferably in that order or I'll be cranky in the morning.' It was a gentle tease, but it made her feel better to voice it. The coming days were going to be difficult, she knew, but now the hardest part was behind them and at least now Tokoyami had the chance to heal and then decide, for himself, how he truly felt about being a dragon. She'd be sad if he decided he still didn't like it, but at least she could take comfort in the fact it would then be his choice. That was something, at least.

Offline Aeon

• Teal Knight
    • View Profile
Atem offered her a long, warm hug. She’s been through a trying few recent hours; he was inclined to let her stay in her current position for as long as she wished. That said, he did eventually know her hunger would get to her so, privately, he was pleased with himself for anticipating her needs thusly. ”It’s good he is well and truly out of it now. He wouldn’t favor my presence anymore than I his in his current condition. Regardless, I am proud of the both of you for what you accomplished tonight.” He released her with that so she might get her food to avoid the “crankiness” she had forewarned him about.

Some time later, after she had plated her food and enjoyed a few bites, he brought up Tsuyu. ”I hope she handles this process well herself. If she is up for it, my offer still stands to give her my assistance. I would suggest giving her some time, perhaps a month, before approaching the subject. Once this isn’t so immediate in the mind she may be in a better state to handle what would need to happen in order to heal her. Until then, we will just have to wait and see what time brings for the both of them.”

Offline Kei

• View Profile
Yugi was pleased to have been fed and have the company of her mate once more. She was tired, but she ate quickly and held her silence on the issue of Tsuyu and her injury for a while as she considered it before finally responding. 'Better make this two or three months because she'll need it to both settle from this mess and adjust into the next stage of her life. I'll let her know to contact me when she's ready though, I just don't want to push her too soon. This was...hard on all of us.' Though she knew Atem was probably just glad it was all over; considering how he felt about it, she still needed to let her friends adjust to what was a new and uncertain future for them. Tokoyami still had a ways to go deciding how he felt about himself now that he was without his intended, and Tsuyu just needed to learn to be on her own again. Then again, they both needed to learn that.

And wait and see is definitely what they'd have to do; though come morning Tokoyami only stuck around long enough to have a slightly less tense than before breakfast with them before wishing them both well and leaving. Yugi knew he was going to still need her while he adjusted, but at least he shouldn't always be in constant risk of losing control of himself. It was a step in the right direction on what she knew was going to be a long and difficult road for him to walk. He had so many questions to answer for himself, and so many choices to make that would affect the rest of his life. She wondered how he'd feel about being a dragon now that his intended had set him free. Would it still bring him so much pain that nothing and no one could ease it? Or would he, maybe, begin to accept himself as he was and embrace what that meant for him? He was a magnificent male, and she saw no reason he shouldn't want to show himself off once he had settled again. Though not so large as Atem was - given their relation - he was still a much larger male than many out there and he should begin to regain the confidence this entire mess had cost him. That was the hope at least.

Yugi decided that hands-off was the best approach to dealing with Tokoyami and so she watched as the days went by and he holed himself up to properly mourn his loss in peace before coming back out some days later looking much better than he had in a long while. He was officially on leave from hero-duty, but it was necessary and it was easy to see he was doing much better because of it. His confidence slowly began to return and he filled out a bit more, beginning to put on muscle and a bit more height; not unlike the man he was related to. He still wasn't completely set on being a dragon, but he was slowly beginning to show signs of accepting that things were as they were and he couldn't change them. And though Yugi was pleased with the progress he was making, she was also worried for the warning signs of what would eventually happen. Tokoyami was settling into who he was meant to be, and that meant that, eventually, he'd be at his peak and then the risk came. Would he, like Atem, go into rut?

Offline Aeon

• Teal Knight
    • View Profile
In the interim of Tokoyami finding himself released from his previous mate and Yugi and Atem both waiting to see how the man would react to the situation at large, Evy herself was rather removed from the process. She’d settled into a routine again of working with her clients, helping friends when needed, and even setting up time to meet new prospective clients in the wake of her newly found free time now that she wasn’t reaching out to Tokoyami anymore. While she had felt there was a great deal left unresolved with the man, and he clearly still had a ways to go in his own healing process, she was not keen to reaching back out. He’d expressed a severe disdained for as much in the past and she wasn’t one to intrude where she clearly wasn’t wanted. He had handled her heat exceedingly poorly and, while she acknowledged hurt feelings were apart of her avoidance, him remaining in the wind as he was was simply the added assurance she did not need to be a part of this all.

As it stood, she boxed up everything that had been a remnant of that particular patient and tucked it out of sight and out of mind. With her heat behind her there wasn’t a chance of them encountering one another in that particular fashion anytime soon. Even less now that he was on leave as she had heard through one of her clients. While she believed this would be good for the man, again she wasn’t getting involved, nor did she wish to be. He would determine if he felt he wanted to be a dragon in his own time and whether or not that included being among others of his kind or not would come later.

Offline Kei

• View Profile
Tokoyami, once settled a bit from what was the worst day of his life, decided that there were still things left unresolved in regards to the female that had been helping him. He'd done exceedingly poorly during her rise; even though he'd only been trying to help. He hadn't expected she'd use her gift on him nor his reaction to such a thing. He knew it had just felt wrong and it had hurt him, but she hadn't meant to do so. So after a few weeks of dealing with things by himself he felt confident enough to at least attempt to mend what he'd done wrong. So he set up a time when she wasn't busy - going through her secretary and explaining his need to apologize and make amends had required him being more charming than he liked but it had worked - and then just waited. He hated that he was going into her space to do this, but she clearly wasn't going to be the one to reach out so one of them needed to do so.

Thus, knowing she wasn't expecting him, he knocked on the door to her office and waited. When she opened the door he stayed in the doorway and calmly and  firmly stated his intentions. "Miss Wolfe, we need to talk. Also...also I need to apologize to you for my behavior. It was out of my control at the time but you were still hurt by it so I wanted to make amends in whatever way you deem appropriate." After all, he still knew how to act around a female dragon, even if he didn't necessarily like it. Also he still needed her help with the things he was going through and he wasn't afraid to admit to needing someone to help him now that he'd begun to do so. It was a difficult first step to make, but these things that were worth it were never easy.

Offline Aeon

• Teal Knight
    • View Profile
Though her secretary had kept her thoroughly out of the loop of whom was coming to her office, it was no secret once he entered the building and came up through the stairs and down the hall into her more personal space. She knew immediately upon opening the door, before he even spoke, whom stood before her. In that instant before his first words came free, her facial features slipped into a grimace that bordered on a scowl. He was uncomfortable being here in her territory and that discomfort served her well enough to not budge from her current spot in front of the doorway. Let him be made uncomfortable—it served him right for how he had acted during her rise. It was petty to snap at him in the wake of his apology, and it had taken effort for him to come here to do so in the first place, so she could only acknowledge his statement. Whether she accepted it or not was another matter.

“I believe you’ve already accomplished that point then. You have said what you came here for.” It was direct, but not snappish. She was on edge but she was also not a breed of dragon prone to any sort of violence so, while he knew to play things safely, she wasn’t of a mind or nature to bite his head off. Regardless of the fact she did wish to give him a right good shove for the sour mood he had placed into her heat. “I do not need or want you to make amends, though perhaps it would do you a world of good to hear how absolutely asinine your behavior was.”

She had a terrible gift for cutting right into the heart, hitting the greatest possible nerve to trigger the most immediate sense of shame or disdain in oneself. “I did not care that you were there, but you had the clear ability to stay away knowing your own instincts. And more importantly, knowing your own hang ups. You didn’t, though. Instead you turned a normally beautiful thing into a spoiled, nasty memory of an experience. I hear well enough how terrible my own human form is to others. I did not need the experience of having my dragon side found equally disgusting, thank you.”

Of course that hadn’t been his intention, but intentions hardly mattered when faced with the reality of what damage that had done. “That being said, that moment is already past and I have months of time before the next instance I will have to make certain to be well and truly away to avoid any repeat performances. So what else can I help you with other than hearing your apology?”

Offline Kei

• View Profile
Tokoyami kept his head down, knowing a reprimand when he heard one. He let her rant at him about his behavior and didn't move as she did so, he knew he deserved it after all. He really wasn't completely up to this so soon after separating from Tsuyu, but it did need to be done. He let her wind down and couldn't help the low snarl of sound that left him at just how she saw him. Hands balled into fists and the urge to say something, anything, to defend himself welled up but then he shook it off because what right did he have. Finally blazing crimson eyes lifted and locked onto the female before him, a moment of confidence having him refusing to fully back down.

"I did nothing of the sort and you know that. I did stay out of it, even after I shifted. It wasn't even until you touched me with your power that I had a bad reaction - one I wasn't expecting by the way. So excuse me, Madam, if it was more important to be certain Slifer didn't succeed in forcing himself on you regardless of what it would do to me personally!" He took a step forward, into her space, riled up for some reason but unable to help himself. "I fought every instinct that told me not to shift, because I saw you were in danger. I rose into the air in a shape that only hurt me trying to protect you and all you can see from that is that your power hurt me when it shouldn't have. I'm sorry I didn't react so well, I would rather have flown with you and made that day what it should have been, no one has the right to take that away from a female!"

His shadows rose around him for a moment before moving back inside his body, because he really hated to have everyone disappointed with him for something he honestly had neither expected nor intended. So he gave her truth, then he would leave her be. He was done trying to make amends with a female that clearly wanted nothing to do with him just the same as Tsuyu. His eyes flashed golden for a moment, power riding him hard before he contained it again and turned back the way he'd come. His tone was quiet and emotionless as he left, be his point was made. "Next time I'll remember not to do something so stupid as try to protect someone that can only see the bad that comes from a failure to do so. Now, I've invaded your space long enough. If you'll excuse me!" He hadn't meant to get angry; didn't understand why he was, but now it was over and he stalked out of the office and disappeared into the shadows so he could get away as quickly as he could. He wanted...he...He really wanted to destroy something. He wanted to go and kill something and make it bleed until it stopped moving. He hated feeling this way.

A brush of concern touched him and he was so irate he lashed out to make it go away, sensing sharp pain from Yugi before her presence disappeared altogether from his mind. He just kept walking through his shadows, travelling far until he was somewhere he wouldn't hurt anyone again.

Offline Aeon

• Teal Knight
    • View Profile
Something sparked, a sharp sensation that was almost painful in its intensity, in the air around her as he drew nearer. She wasn’t listening to his ire, not because she felt it unjust or because she didn’t care, but more because there was something else which was commanding all her attention. She felt his frustration acutely and that was fine. It was deserved and she knew why it remained. The fury as well was acceptable. What was not, however, was the deep sense of failure that radiated and, before she could get a word in edge wise, he was gone and storming off. He always ran. There was never any other solution because he was long since accustomed to saying his peace and leaving things at that. It would not fly with her, not today when she had discovered something so critically important to something he needed for his own personal development.

He was gone in the shadows, sure, and though she couldn’t follow after him in that fashion eventually the fool would have to come home and that was precisely where she was headed. Her office was locked up securely and she took her leave out her window, assuming the smallest form she held and tracking down his dwelling as she had in the past. It was here she waited, quite literally on his doorstep after having shifted back to a human form. She stood in his way, knowing full well he could simply enter his home through the shadows and not bothering to care. As close as he would be to the shadows of his home, he would hear her even if he didn’t wish to. It was these shadows she spoke to.

“You are an absolute idiot. The most difficult, hard headed, nonsensical man AND dragon I have ever met. You make the worst manner of problems for yourself by running away whenever you feel you aren’t wanted because for some reason you cannot imagine you should have enough self worth to stay in someone else’s life. You insist on thinking anything that you do that isn’t absolutely perfect is a failure and that isn’t the case. I do not hate you, you stubborn, difficult man. I wish you had handled things differently, but that is always the curse of hindsight. Now you can come outside and actually talk about and what you are going to do next or you can commit yourself to having my ass as a porch fixture until you come to your senses. Either let me in or come out here because I am done with letting you dictate what is and isn’t a failure in your life when you cannot understand what that even means.”

Offline Kei

• View Profile
Even hours later he was still fuming mad over the entire mess with the female, and coming home to her perched there acting all high and mighty wasn't helping matter any. He snarled lowly, a vibrating growl filling the air with his ire. He didn't want to deal with this female that always thought she knew best unless she disagreed with it. He came out of the shadows and invaded her personal space, clearly towering over her smaller frame but he wasn't trying to intimidate her just make her go away. "I think I've had enough of your 'I know best' attitude.  I'm tired of that from everyone! I don't know how to be a dragon, I don't know how to be anything other than what I am right now! Yet you're just like the rest, insisting I must be fixed because something clearly is wrong with me to be behaving like this. I've given you more trust than I have anyone else yet here you are pushing the boundaries because you just have to be right. Well fine then, tell me how stupid I am and what a mess I made of things! It's not the first time nor will it be the last."

The shadows crept around him now, and his eyes shifted into shimmering golden slits even as he felt the press of power that meant a shift was imminent if he didn't calm down. He just couldn't though, not to her and not to anyone else ever again. "Females are all the same, it's your big day and ooh there's a male and ooh he made a mistake and even though I know he relies on me I'm going to cast him aside like he's trash because he made a mistake! I didn't know I'd react that way to you Evelyn or I would have just gone after Slifer directly! I wasn't trying to hurt you, and yet any other actions I made that day are forgotten in the wake of that one moment! I don't care what you think of me, I don't, I've already dealt with enough by speaking with Tsuyu and ending things with her just so I could function like a normal person! Yet here you are, provoking me all because you think you have any right!"

He stalked around her, violence coming from him in waves both from frustration and his inability to deal with how he was feeling at that moment. "Did it ever occur to you that I'm trying my best here? You don't decide what I feel is a failure, that's not your right it's mine. The fact is, I couldn't do anything. I couldn't keep bad things from happening and I couldn't make the right choice. All I could do was keep you from hurting others because I knew what it would do to you when you stopped being angry. The rest is a mess and you don't have to rub it in. Now, GO. HOME. I don't have anything else to say to you. I'm done."  He slipped into his shadows again, needing to retreat before he lashed out and hurt her no matter that he felt it would be justified. Hadn't he been brave enough for a moment by speaking with Tsuyu and putting an end to their mutual misery? Hadn't it been enough to stand in Atem's presence and not want to kill him? Why couldn't he just be done for a while without someone else insisting he be more and do more? He was done, he'd had enough. He didn't have the patience for this nonsense just now. She needed to go away!