Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

His Shadows Bow Down [M] (Aeon+Kei)

Kei · 50 · 3549

Offline Kei

• View Profile
Tokoyami snorted at Atem's reaction over repeating anything he'd said to Yugi. His old friend could definitely be scary when she set her mind to it. "That's probably a smart move on your part, though it would be funny to watch if you did." He did note that Atem was surprised with his honesty but what else could he expect from someone finally coming into his own. It was...refreshing not to have to be so careful with what he said and did all the time now. He did hear the advice and considered it, but he'd had to think over if he'd do it or not considering how much work he had to do now that he was back.

The hand raised to halt his apology surprised him and he tilted his head curiously at the explanation before nodding in understanding. That was fine if it was how he wanted to do things. Instead he went the other way. "Thank you for that, then." As to what he could help him with...well...He scratched at the back of his head in clear embarrassment, before working up the nerve to admit his failing. "Well....not sure if it's because of all the stress I've been under or my more recent changes but my shadows have been acting...I'll say odd....lately. I'm not sure if it's normal or what, but before this mess I certainly wasn't capable of blocking out the sun with my shadows." He's caused an eclipse that had lasted a good half hour before he'd figured out how to fix it.

Normally, before, his shadows were weakened by the light, now they seemed to draw strength from them and that just threw him off his game very badly. He disliked having to learn himself all over again after so long, it was irritating. But if it was also normal because of his bloodline, he'd have to accept and deal with it.

Offline Aeon

• Teal Knight
    • View Profile
The Pharaoh was quiet as Tokoyami seemed to stumble over what it was he wished to say. When he got the words out, Atem merely nodded. “I had thought that was you.” He’d sensed the disturbance, though he’d been too far away to directly see the event physically. “It’s to be expected. In your blood there is a duality that is very rarely found in others. You wouldn’t consider it abnormal yourself, because you have met others with that capability themselves, but globally what you have is quite rare.” He paused, allowing this to sink in. Knowing how Tokoyami had felt about being blood relations to him some years back, and even as recently as a few months ago, he didn’t want to dwell on drawing attention to a point the man had hated. Even still, it was somewhat necessary here as it was part of the explanation.

“I am not of this world. I wasn’t born to it, but I was part of the burst that created it. In me there is a cosmic balance from that time. I control not only the light but the dark as well, but I would wager if I asked you you would associate me with the sun, correct?” He waited for some sense of acknowledgement before continuing. “It is the same for you, though up until recently, without coming to terms with things as you have and are still doing, you wouldn’t have had access to it. Yours is not with the sun but rather the moon. You are stronger at night, and more so in the absence of light at all, but now you can see a greater potential in your night. Light is not the enemy of the dark. They are perfect separate halves, and both have the ability to consume the other, just as you’ve seen with your eclipse.”

While it may have been unnerving, to know such power came to him naturally, he should have expected it. He came from powerful blood, and more of it had presented in him than any of Atem’s descendants thus far. “You will continue to grow stronger like this. You will notice more changes up until a point, which you may be rapidly approaching now given the acceleration of the changes. For a male dragon a rut is the signal of his pinnacle, the mark of the predator coming into its finest age. You’ve been around me long enough to know that mine is a recurring event, something uncommon among the dragons which have sprung up on earth. That is because of the immortality aspect, but I would wager if your ties to your celestial body are strong enough, you might achieve some semblance of that yourself. Speculation of course, but still.”

Offline Kei

• View Profile
Crimson eyes regarded Atem carefully, nodding when it was clearly needed of him but for the most part just listening. It wasn't long before his eyes started to get bigger and shock overcame his features at just what he was going told. This all was...only going to get worse? He'd guessed his shadows were gaining in strength, but to such a degree...His expression went troubled then instead of shocked as he clearly considered what he'd been told. It was a lot to take in and absorb and he wasn't certain he enjoyed it at all.  "I...the eclipse wasn't done on purpose. It wasn't anywhere near what I was trying to do. I was just...trying to do the right thing." The tsunami, the pouring rain, the resulting tidal wave; it had been instinct that led to him shooting out his shadows to try and protect the coastal town he'd been passing through. He hadn't expected his shadows to expand until they blotted out the sun. It had been terrifying.

And to think this amount of power was meant to be his naturally...It just blew his mind. He hadn't thought being related to Atem would cause such an upset in his life like this. Yet his shadows had always been such a huge part of him, first in the form of Dark Shadow and now as an entity in and of themselves separate from him yet apart of him at the same time. So this news was definitely troubling, given how hard he was working to come to terms with himself as he had become. Still, best to get clarification. "So you're telling me my shadows are only going to grow stronger with time. That everything I've known I could do for years is going to grow and expand and change because I'm only getting stronger as I age. Is that about right?" If so, it was a terrifying prospect he faced for the future. Especially given he wasn't settled on how he felt about what he was.

The talk of a rut had him shuddering in terrified horror. That....wasn't something he ever wanted to go through; he'd seen the start of Atem's before and never wanted to experience it himself. He already hated the loss of control that came from a female's rise, so to know there was another thing to cause that was just...a bit more than he had expected. It meant all his changes were leading up to it though, and if he were to guess it was the cause of all the anger he still harbored inside of him. His hands fisted at his sides as his thoughts raced, shadows sparking out of every corner where the light  cast them but not lashing out in any way, simply reacting to the strong emotions of one that could use them. Tokoyami didn't really know or understand it, but he had the unquestionable loyalty of the shadows he commanded. They could be swayed to a more chaotic power, sure, but they'd always return to his command willingly for his bloodline was ancient and powerful all on its own.

Something had caught his attention in what Atem was saying, so now he had questions and it was better to speak and ask them than linger in his overwhelming and troubled thoughts and emotions. "What do you mean by 'celestial body' and my ties to it? I don't understand." It was better to ask, but part of him honestly didn't want the answers. Perhaps he shouldn't have sought out Atem, but he knew it was necessary even though it was exceedingly difficult.

Offline Aeon

• Teal Knight
    • View Profile
“I didn’t imagine it was on purpose. Usually instinct will take over. Your shadows wouldn’t cause either you, or those around you direct harm or harbor malice. They react to your subconscious will.” At least he was making an effort to reassure him they wouldn’t do anything he wouldn’t have wanted done. His assessment was correct—the shadows served him, and loyally so. They would not act out of place. He nodded. “Yes, they will. It’s part of the aging process though; you will grow out to be able to contain them. It’s why you’ve changed so much physically these past few months.”

Atem had noticed the shift in his behavior, knew that he wasn’t particularly pleased with what he’d heard, but it needed to be understood. “The moon. You have access to the same powers from it as I do the sun. We are both of us tied to both bodies, but there is a direct favoritism in each of them in us. It’s how you were able to draw the eclipse. I would wager, given time, perhaps right on the heels of your rut, you will be able to handle the moon in the same fashion I might with the sun. It may give you more than you bargained for. Holding a tie to an eternal body will change you. It could be such that you, much like myself, will outlive those around you.”

Offline Kei

• View Profile
Tokoyami looked deeply troubled the more he was being told about what he could expect if he kept changing the way he was. Change was a part of life, but to change so drastically in so short a time...well it made him uneasy. More-so the knowledge that he could go into rut at any time once the changes were completed. The idea was horrifying. At least he could take some relief in the fact his shadows weren't going to grow outside of his control, so that was something. And that the biggest of those changes would occur after something he was terrified of was even worse.

So he could possibly gain control of the moon like Atem had over the sun. The fact in and of itself wasn't terrible but the hinted at repercussion of such a thing had him reeling. To think he could stop aging, to think he wouldn't die even if he were to so wish it...To leave behind someone he could come to care about, it was all too much. He sat down in the nearest chair, hands clenching either side of his head as he attempted to make sense of everything he was being told and maintain his much needed calm at the same time.

It was a lot to take in, truly it was, but he was grateful Atem hadn't tried to lie to him about it. "I need...a moment. Also...some tea. This is...just a bit too much for  me right now." At least he could admit to it out loud, and there was no shame in not being able to handle something life-changing like this all at once. He just...was thrown very far off kilter by it all. If this was true...what was he going to do?

Offline Aeon

• Teal Knight
    • View Profile
Atem nodded. “Of course, take your time. Let’s see if I can still remember how you take it and what you prefer.” He was of course referring to the tea. He recalled the former but did have to reach out to Yugi to confirm the latter. Half right was better than not at all at least, and thankfully he did have the particular variant his guest would enjoy. He slipped out of the office for fifteen minutes or so, coming back with a tray which held not only tea but some sushi. The cook living in the agency full time was nothing if not prepared for all hours of the day and night to contend with a dragon’s appetite, so getting a smaller portion ready was a simple task. Not that Tokoyami would take any of it, but it was there if he wished.

Atem sat the tray down beside of him, pouring his tea before he retreated to a separate chair some distance off to give the man his space. “I will tell you this. Living with that responsibility on one’s shoulders, it is hard but it’s not something I imagine you would have any trouble with. It would be second nature, so if you worry about the responsibility, I would say you needn’t have to. For another individual, yes, but not for you. Outliving friends does suck, I will be honest. But you cannot not have relationships with others. It keeps you human, and it keeps you grounded. The small mercy in that is if you do find someone you come to care for, time isn’t made an enemy of them either. It’s the same thing Yugi will experience when she’s ready for it—that energy and life that revives you, that transcends. The moon wouldn’t leave its guardian without a proper mate.”

He spoke of the celestial body as though it bore its own existence, thoughts, and feelings. Perhaps, for him who had been there since it was formed, it did. “Letting someone see that side of you though is another matter entirely.”

Offline Kei

• View Profile
Tokoyami was still in the same position he'd been left in when Atem finally returned. He sat up slowly and took the offered tea, offering a quiet word of gratitude before staring down at the steaming mug in his hands. He did hear Atem speaking, of course he did, but it really wasn't helping his state of mind. He really couldn't wrap his mind around the concept of even possibly living for so long, let alone anything else. "Why must I always just accept that I'm changing so much without any control of what's happening to me? Forgive me, but, to me this is not a good thing. I would not wish to live forever, even if it's only a possibility, I've seen what that did to you even when I was only part of your life for a short while. I saw the struggles and the pain, and I've had more than enough of that already. What is so wrong to simply want to be me? Why must I simply accept it all without conscious choice in the matter?"

Honestly he knew most of his trouble stemmed from the fact that he'd been rather forcibly thrown into his birthright as a dragon without any of the support he'd desperately needed because they didn't understand why he'd struggled. He'd told them now, of course, but at the time they hadn't known and had only made matters worse. This entire mess felt the same way to him.  He was a simple man at heart, and really only needed one person to see his struggle and let him know it was alright to be afraid like this. He didn't need everyone just telling him it was part of who he was because he happened to be related to someone. He just...needed someone in his corner. He didn't think that was too much to ask. Of course, like before, Atem could simply tell him it was better this way because he could handle it. He could suggest things, and he had, but in the end he missed the most important thing about all this. Tokoyami was scared and on the heels of everything he'd been through he felt utterly alone even knowing he had friends to support him. It was just...entirely too much.

What was more frustrating was the fact he didn't even had the outlet of speaking with Ev-Miss Wolfe any longer because of his own folly from before. Even mentioning Yugi didn't help, but her breed of dragon already lived for a few hundred years all on their own so what was an eternity to someone after that? For Tokoyami, he could expect normally to live to be at least a hundred if not a bit more, so the notion of forever like that...it was terrifying. And he'd never wish that on another living being if he could help it, he'd rather be alone. But again, there was no choice really, was there? He'd change again rather he liked it or not. His fate was sealed regardless of his choices, just like before and he absolutely hated that. He took a deep breath for calm even as his shadows moved around him soothingly; sensing his distress. He barely tasted the tea as he took a sip of it, mind too caught up in everything happening. He was scared, what was he going to do?

Offline Aeon

• Teal Knight
    • View Profile
“Because if you try to worry about controlling every aspect of your life, you will be in the most miserable sort of existence. You don’t have to ‘accept it’ so much as you have to just let it go. What will be will be, regardless of whatever that is. Worrying doesn’t fix it, and planning won’t negate it. Your fate is no more predetermined than mine is, or anyone else’s for that matter, so trying to set your life to one avenue isn’t a game you will win. You worry so much about the how and when, when really those do matter in the grand scheme of things. You won’t care about them in a week’s time, and certainly not in a year’s. The only thing that matters is who and why. Who you do it for, and why you do it.” Dark crimson eyes regarded the younger dragon, and his expression gentled considerably.

“You paint what I have experienced as a curse, and really it’s nothing of the sort. I have lived through so many wonderful moments in the history of man. I’ve had the time to learn my fill of any subject I sought after. Yes, there were moments of pain. But singular moments mean nothing when compared to the eternity of many, many millennia. Time is the most precious commodity on this Earth. A standard human may have eighty to one hundred years at best, only so many of which will be spent able to move and able to do things of one’s own will. When you eliminate that from your equation, you are only left with what you choose to surround yourself with. It is...Incredibly freeing, but I only speak for myself.”

He shook his head. “There’s nothing wrong with wanting to be you. You are the only one who can, after all. But I wish you wouldn’t be so set in saying you know all of you, and who you are. You’ve not yet had the time to find that out fully, and very few people ever do. You know the things you hate, some at least, and things you enjoy, but what do you know of what drives you? Your purpose? Who would you selfishly suffer through any injustice for, just because living apart is unspeakable? You know some of you, Tokoyami, but you aren’t yet aware of all of you. Speaking from experience, you won’t until you have a mate, and then again until you see tiny eyes looking back up at you, if that is something you want in your future. Family, friends, none of them matter when you have those two looking up to you. And when you do, no amount of time with them is too much. The enormity of eternity is lessened when it is spent in idle, loving company. But if it truly troubles you so greatly, I may be able to help. I cannot promise I could quite literally take the moon from you, it picks its champion, but I may be able convince it otherwise if that is what you want.”

Offline Kei

• View Profile
Tokoyami set his drink down and dropped his head back into his hands, deeply troubled and in thought. Atem really didn't understand why this bothered him, did he? He wasn't like the often immovable Ra, eternity wasn't something that was a good thing to him. It wasn't something he expected nor was it something he wanted because he'd been human first. That mentality was firmly embedded inside him and it wasn't a simple matter of just accepting it or not. He forgot often that Atem didn't think like the rest of him, so maybe it had been a bad idea to discuss this with him in the first place. Not every person wanted to live forever, and it wasn't some great gift like Atem seemed to think it was. Honestly he'd been content with the time his natural lifespan would have given him.

And again he realized that much of the problem here lied in the fact that he had no one in his corner. Atem had Yugi for those times things became too much, but Tokoyami was alone in his corner without anyone that understood. He'd chased away the one that might have stood with him by his own actions, so now he faced the consequences. That was her right though, considering how he'd made her feel during her rise, but he did dearly miss having a sounding board for his thoughts and emotions. At least she stood a chance of understanding where he was coming from and not simply acting like the immortal god that always knew best about everything even when he didn't. That trait of Atem's grated against his nerves, but he'd come here willingly so he'd put up with it.

He realized it was probably time to go and slowly rose to his feet; still feeling unsteady but needing to get away. "I think...I've have as much as I can take today. And, for the record, though I do appreciate you giving me your time today and I thank you for it; you've entirely missed the point in my coming to you. I'm not like you, Atem, I don't process things the same way. Maybe it's enough for you to just always let it go, but I don't work that way. I don't process my emotions that way. Right now, all this is new and it's terrifying and unlike you I don't have someone in my corner. I don't need much to be happy, I'm a simple man, but I just..." He shook his head, this wasn't worth it and Atem couldn't understand anyway. After all, he'd been a dragon first.

"Never mind, I don't know that you'd understand even if I explained it to you. You've never been human, after all, so all this comes naturally to you. I'm not angry about that, I'm just tired. I think I'm done for now, and again thank you for your time. I'll let you know if I have questions about anything else." Because he really did need to get away and not be bombarded with Atem's well-meaning version of 'get over it'. He didn't need very much to be happy, but it would have been nice to have one person that would just acknowledge his feelings as okay. He desperately needed someone in his corner helping him manage this, because he really wanted to have one person tell him it was okay to be afraid. He knew it without hearing it, but he needed to hear it.

He'd spent so long with everyone in the mindset of 'get over it' that when he couldn't just do that hearing it was okay to be afraid would have gone a long way in helping him adjust. Atem didn't understand this, but Tokoyami was drowning out on his own. His fear didn't rule him, he just didn't like to be facing all of this alone. And even with friends, he felt completely alone with no one on his side. He needed that, but there was nothing for it. He couldn't even acknowledge Atem's offer to dissuade the moon; he couldn't wrap his head around it to even speak of it. He shook his head, excused himself, and stepped through his shadows back out into his home. Without thinking, he wrote a quick message about how he was feeling in simple terms and though he tried to throw it away his shadows delivered it to whom it was meant for. He may not realize it, but he really did need the support Evelyn provided him with.

The message would appear near her, the shadows gently nudging her so she could find it before disappearing. They knew she'd have to shift to read it, but at least it had gotten where it was needed. After so long silent, Tokoyami had reached out to the only person he felt still might listen to him. The message was short and simple but betrayed a wealth of information. 'I'm sorry Evelyn, my actions from then hurt you and I never properly resolved it. You have every right to still be angry at me, but honestly I need you. I need someone in my corner that listens, I need someone to tell me it's okay to be afraid. Because I am terrified right now and to face it alone...I cannot. I wish you well, even knowing you'll never read this. At least I've gotten it out on paper. I know I should reach out to you, but I'm afraid of being pushed away again. Yet, I know you alone may just understand or in the very least you won't tell me to 'get over it'. Perhaps I should come speak to you, but I am afraid. I cannot do this alone, but I've no right to ask you to help anymore. Regardless, be well little starlight.'

Clearly the missive wasn't meant to be read but it had still been delivered and it remained that his shadows knew he needed her.

Offline Aeon

• Teal Knight
    • View Profile
Atem sighed, and as much as he felt he should still speak with his descendant, he let the younger dragon go. Really, as often as he accused him of missing the point, he’d missed as much if not more today. Atem has stated of course that what he felt of eternity was his own opinion, and he’d not given Tokoyami a set plan to follow as though it were law. He had given an honest assessment of what he believed troubled the man, and that had been merely because he had been asked for it. At no point in time was he so narrow minded as to suggest this was the only way, or that Tokoyami was unable to make his own choices. Really, it wasn’t and he could, but he supposed this too stemmed from having no one as the youth had put it. So long as he knew as much, Atem wagered he’d come to the conclusion appropriate to him, and then perhaps in time he would come back with another apology for escaping from what he had thought to be a terrible situation when in reality it was only the opinion and facts he had asked for.

——

Evelyn was surrounded with packing boxes. The entirety of her office was a dusty, upheaved mess, but this was to be expected because packing wasn’t exactly a clean affair. It was a happy occasion at least, something she’d been looking forward to doing for a year now. Her clientele had expanded and she needed a larger, more professional office to direct people to. As it stood now she was in the thick of packing, compiling patient records to be transported to their new location when she felt something nudge her foot.

A normal individual would have likely startled. Evelyn was accustomed to not seeing what came at her though, and as it nudged her seemingly for attention rather than simply bumping into her while passing through the remains of her office, she had to assume it was directly trying to get her to acknowledge it. Whatever it was. She squatted down, feeling around the floor where the thing was but coming up with nothing but paper. Probably from a file that had fallen down. She sighed, knowing if she didn’t get it in place now she’d never find it again when she needed it after the move. A quick shift in a smaller, more manageable form proved otherwise as she read the contents of the singular piece of paper.

A small, white blue head tilted in confusion. This...This wasn’t something she felt she should have seen. It did not read as though it were something the individual she knew it had come from would have wanted her to know about. So how had it gotten here? His shadows she supposed, but did that mean they were willful and moved of their own accord? It had to be the case, otherwise this would have stayed in the trash where she imagined it had gone in the first place.

There was no telling where in the world he was. He’d dropped off the radar six months ago, and so it wasn’t like she would know he’d be home then to visit and tell him she wasn’t mad about the past. Still...how was she to tell him it would be alright? Perhaps...Slowly, small clawed feet carried her to the nearest shadow she suspected his had emerged from. If they had given her this, they had to still be lingering because they would have wanted her reaction. It was worth a shot at least.

One paw gently tapped the shadow as it lay cast on the floor. ”Would you tell him I am not hurt or angry from before? I don’t care about what happened back then. If he needs me I am always here. Maybe not this exact place, but he’s welcome to find me.”

Offline Kei

• View Profile
The shadows at her feet moved gently around her, pressing slightly against her hide in a quiet sort of acknowledgement for her words. Of course they'd stayed to listen to her, they knew she could help the one who controlled them. They listened intently to her words before retreating gently away from her form once more. They traveled back the way they'd come and curled around Tokoyami as he paced around in his home trying to settle his overly frazzled nerves. He startled when they surrounded him, before realizing that they'd never harm him and letting the shadows soothe him. He listened as they whispered to him what they'd done, and told him of the female's words as well. Crimson eyes were wide and startled, before his emotions settled into more embarrassment than anything else. He slumped down heavily on his bed, dropping his head to rest it in his hands as he mind whirled with possibilities and he tried to decide just what it was he was going to do about this situation. He did desperately need someone he could trust to speak to that wouldn't just consider his fears as silly or over the top. He needed someone that understood that he'd been a human first before he'd been a dragon.

He did  trust Evelyn not to judge him, but he wasn't sure how to face her after the disaster of their last meeting. He still felt so angry at the world and uncertain of his place in it, but to take the risk and go to her side also didn't sit well with him. He wasn't that sort of man to just take advantage of a female like that no matter the need in him for comfort from another person. She'd tell him his fears were normal, right? She wouldn't just discard them and tell him to get over it, would she? He didn't feel she was that sort of female, and he did need one person to just...be there while he was so terrified. He hated feeling this way, it made him weak and vulnerable and he knew Atem meant well but he really hadn't helped by missing the underling issue in the things he'd been telling him. The fact Tokoyami was scared wasn't a small thing, and he'd needed support he hadn't gotten. So then, now that it was a possibility, did he take the risk? He wasn't sure he could, and it made him dizzy to think about it. He wasn't nearly as brave as Yugi gave him credit for, and just now felt more like a coward than anything else. What did he do? How could he move forward? He wanted to, he really did, but he lacked the tools to do so.

Eventually he settled on what to do while he could still convince his shadows he didn't want them to do something for him. Instead he asked them to deliver a message and that is just what they did; disappearing and curled gently against Evie before they shared their message with her. 'Where are you?' Because despite the fact he was very good with doing things with his shadows, he was still learning how to actively find people he wasn't connected to with them.

Offline Aeon

• Teal Knight
    • View Profile
At least in this form Evy had seen the shadows approach her and was unafraid with their arrival. The question they parroted back to her was a good sign, or at least she took it as such. If he hadn’t wanted help, if he wanted to be alone to work this out on his own, then he wouldn’t have bothered to send word back through them. Instead, he was offering a chance to discuss the matter, but she had to exercise the utmost caution in responding back to him. Otherwise he very well might flit off again and she not hear from him for another six months or more again.

”In what remains of my office. I’m afraid it’s not very company friendly anymore—all the big furniture has been prepared for the new office already. But I can be most anywhere quick enough. If I know where to go at least.” She was willing to meet him head of course, but the fact remained her office was a mess due to the move and she wanted him to be in a place he was comfortable with. That had never been here and she readily acknowledged that.

”Just tell me where you want me to go and I will be there. Or this is fine too. I can just listen.”

Offline Kei

• View Profile
A faint smile tugged on his expression before fading, because of course she'd want to see him. Still, that didn't mean it was easy for him to decide passed the crushing wall of his own feelings. He did need the help though, and that in and of itself was a major step forward for him to take; accepting that he needed the help even after how far he'd come. His response was a long time in coming, and when it did it was through the protection of his shadows, for now at least. 'Just...tell me one thing if you would, please. Am I a coward? I couldn't bare to face someone that helped me so much knowing that I've become such a thing.'

Because he was afraid, dearly so, and it showed in the tremble of his words and the shuddering of his shadows. He was a simple man, he didn't need much, but he did need this. He just...couldn't bare to face her knowing he was a coward. Fear was such a devastating thing, in the end. If she told him he wasn't a coward for being afraid of the overwhelming things going on with him...he wasn't certain how he'd react because he hadn't heard it from anyone else. Everyone else had their answers, their truths, but all he needed was something very simple. He needed someone to tell him it was alright to be afraid but that things would all be alright in the end.

Even if that was a lie, he desperately needed to hear someone say it, just once.

Offline Aeon

• Teal Knight
    • View Profile
”No, you aren’t a coward. A coward is someone who is incapable of enduring difficult and dangerous situations, because their fear paralyzes them. You contend with those on a daily basis, and you conquer them as well. I have never known you not to act, and so I do not think I could ever see you as a coward. What you’re feeling, that fear and uncertainty, it’s just that. You don’t know what’s going to happen, and you don’t know if you want it or something else, and that’s okay. That’s normal.” Her voice was calm and soothing, but there was no trace of the croon she did desperately want to let through. He had never accepted he dragon side of himself, and though he’d freed himself from the instinctive bonds of a mate that didn’t want for him, there was no telling how he’d react so she kept the expression carefully tied down. Maybe in time it would be okay, but only time would tell her.

”I could not imagine the depth of what you’ve gone through. Both the sacrifices you have made, and the changes that have come as a result. Not all change is bad, although I know it may feel like it, or in the very least it may be overwhelming. But I do not believe you have been met with anything that you cannot best in the end. It will be on your terms, how you handle things, how you conquer them. But if you want someone to help you with those demons, I will gladly listen and offer whatever I can to make that fight easier. Sometimes listening is enough, and sometimes you need someone else to fight while you rest. I don’t mind being either, hero.”

Because truly, for her at least, he met every definition of his title.

Offline Kei

• View Profile
For a long moment the shadows went deathly silent in the wake of words spoken. Then, after a silence that stretched on for so long it would be easy to think he'd left, the shadows instead moved and took up every inch of space in the small office. The walls seemed to fall away and in the darkness that remained crimson eyes glowed, but from above and not at eye level. Honestly, Tokoyami was beside himself, but this was something else. It was something he could do while not being there and yet he was there because his shadows were.

A massive dark frame seemed to fill the room, a low vibrating growl of sound coming from the depths of a massive chest though not in threat. He was thanking her and he did need the contact but couldn't bring himself to face her directly. So he'd come up with something not unlike what Yugi did with her starlight only his was powered by his shadows. They took on the truest shape of him, and in this there was only truth. A massive wedge shaped head dropped and touched the ground before her, crimson eyes looking up at her briefly before his head rose and pressed firmly yet oh so gently against Evy's cheek as he nuzzle her just once before going still again; he didn't want to hurt her after all.

A warble of sound left the massive shadow dragon, not quite a growl or purr just a sound pulled from deep inside him. He was showing her gratitude. For a long moment, he stood there curled around her yet not there at all. He was still at home, eyes shut and consciousness far from him as it lingered in the  shadows miles away. He just....needed connection but wasn't ready yet to face another face to face discussion. So this is what he did instead. It was hard, and inwardly he marveled at how easy Yugi made it seem now, but his shadows didn't waver as he knew his own strength well.

He stayed like that for a while, and without moving offered her his heartfelt response to her words. 'Thank you, starlight. I hate feeling so afraid but...really I just needed someone to tell me it would all be well in the end. I didn't need much, and yet more was piled on top of me and I'm just....Honestly overwhelmed by what's expected of me. So...thank you, truly. And if you don't mind, please....just...let me stay this way for a little while. I hate to be alone.'
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 12:07:38 AM by Kei »