Visionary Tales
If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

New {M}edShock

Kreed · 65 · 5187

Offline Kreed

• View Profile
Jorritsma seemed to have done well, for the elf king smiled warmly and returned an incline of the head with a shallow bow in greeting. Beside him, Is-Stable did the same.

"A pleasure. They call me the Sun-Prince. This is my shield-sibling, my personal guard, One-Who-Is-Stable."

She grunted in acknowledgement, though it was friendly enough for her. Those close to the elf would know this was her being respectfully quiet - and at her most civil.

"Rothstone?" Umi remarked, as he fell in line to move with the General. "Forgive me. It seems I still have gaps in my language. Stone is a word I know...what is a roth?"

Offline Jabbathejack

• Manager
    • View Profile
Jorritsma smiled, yet the expression had its usual grimness.
"Roth comes from the old word for my people. Rothrim comes from the mountains that surround our land. Rothstone lies in the foothills of those mountains."

He led the way up the slope towards the castle.
"I'd be happy to show you our country, when time permits."

They were greeted in the courtyard by King Andrean's chief servant, ready to show their guests to their quarters. Jorritsma bowed stiffly.

"I will speak with the king shortly. Once you have had a chance to freshen up from your journey, I am sure the king will want to speak with you."

Behind the scenes, there was a flurry of activity, from the moment the elvish contigent landed on Rothrim shores. Guest quarters for the Elvish king and his immediate followers had been readied at a moment's notice, pleasantly decorated with a mix of traditional Rothrim as well as Thrainish styles.

Once King Andrean was ready, a servant was sent to invite the Elvish king for a meeting, along with Lady Mara and Quicksilver. They were shown to a large drawing room, a servant on hand to pour wine. Mara smiled as the elves entered and she gestured to the empty seats.

"Your Highness, I hope the rooms are to your liking?"

Andrean did not keep them waiting for long; the doors were opened and a servant bowed, standing aside as the king entered. He wore a dark blue velvet doublet, stitched with gold thread in a repeating diamond pattern.

Andrean approached the elvish king and he bowed, smiling as he straightened up. He extended his hand.
"Your Highness, I am honoured to have you as my guest."

Offline Kreed

• View Profile
"More than acceptable, Mara, thank you for asking."

Umi emerged from his new chambers with Is-Stable silently and loyally on his right side. Sensing the formality of the occasion (as well as confronted by the cold of the region), the king had hurried to shed the layers of his traveling clothes and re-dressed in an outfit more suitable for council. He wore a jade cloak, with a hood and shoulders lined with fox fur, and a brown jerkin over his robes. Upon his head was his crown, of antelope horns gilded in a white-gold metal. Beside him, his shield-sibling had wrapped herself in a coat that might have been bearskin, and tied ornately at the waist with a thick band of black silk fabric.

The elf king smiled thinly but warmly as the king of Rothrim approached him, but his expression turned to one of confusion when the monarch extended his hand. Is-Stable silently did a double take, looking from Andrean's face, to his hand, back to the face of her king.

"You're supposed to shake it", came a familiar voice.

Umi turned briefly, brows raising in both acknowledgement and mild surprise. He wasn't expecting Quicksilver, but as the ambassador for their two nations, he should have expected as much. The demon had also taken time to ready himself for the council, hair loosely gathered and clipped back with a haircomb. He had dressed himself - most suitably - in a combination of fashion from both nations. His doublet was a deep red, over a silk rose shirt with the loose, balloon sleeves typical of Elven style. Underneath, his trousers were black and close fitted to his heavy, Thrain style boots for trodding through the snow.

"Oh." The king turned and looked back to Andrean, cheeks tinted with embarrassment. Sheepishly, he reached out and took the king's hand in his, furrowing his brow as he shook his hand as though he were jingling a bell. He looked back to Akuma for input, puzzled. The demon in turn sighed and shook his head, dismissing the matter and moving to take a seat. The king could handle his own culture differences.

"I admit I do not understand this gesture. In my culture it is customary to bow to greet, to show respect. Among other things. ...What is this? Which we are doing now?"

Offline Jabbathejack

• Manager
    • View Profile
Andrean smiled broadly.
"Both, in a way. The bow was for mutual respect, but I feel that the handshake was for friendship."

"I am sure my home is full of many unfamiliar things, as I'm sure my ambassadors found when they visited yours." He nodded to Mara.

Andrean gestured to the chair opposite his own, at the head of a small table.
"Please, be seated." Andrean settled down, smiling as a servant appeared and silently poured wine for all assembled.

"We have a lot to discuss."

His smile faded as his thoughts turned to the grim reality of their situation.
"You must have understood what Mara told you, otherwise you would not have come here. I'm glad that you made the decision to come here. I feel that this is a situation that should not be ignored."

Offline Kreed

• View Profile
As the arrivals sat themselves at the king's table, Is-Stable and Sun-Prince exchanged uncomfortable glances before doing their best to adjust in their seats. It seemed it would be a long road to learning the ways of Thrain; even the way they sat was different. Ever the optimist, Umi smiled - warm but strained- and found his place of comfort before leaning back to address the table.

He allowed a light pause before responding to Andrean, giving a slow, thoughtful nod.

"Yes, and as we discovered, your enemy has the means to unite our tribes against us. Given their isolationism...this is a great personal concern. I believe they must be in possession of significant power yet unknown to both of our nations. It warrants immediate investigation, before it grows too significant to stop. My Queen has begun a domestic investigation into the matter to see if any information can be gleaned from our home, but when the influence is across oceans, I took it upon myself to seek this power at its source."

For an elf, the king's discomfort was obvious. His lips had tightened, and his brow wrinkled. He clapsed his hands together on top of the table, interlacing his fingers. He cleared his throat before continuing. "The tribes that have yet to assimilate under my sovereign would just as soon rip the throats out of one another at first glance, let alone any influence from foreign power. This is...near unthinkable. I don't suppose you have any leads."