Visionary Tales
If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

Return to Inquisition (M) Jabba x Firesblood

Offline Jabbathejack

• Manager
    • View Profile
For a moment, at least, the spark returned to Roe's eyes.
"Pfft." He snorted. "I'm fine where I am."
He gestured to the chair that he'd already sat down in.

"I've been a soldier for a long time. Working for Lord Staunton and before that, I was a mercenary since about the time I could first pick up a sword. You might have slept in some strange places, but so have I. There'll be time to rest when I'm gone."

He gave a quiet chuckle.
"Won't be just yet, I assure you."

Offline Firesblood

• View Profile
Valaria frowned, her posture and expression becoming obstinate.  When she spoke, her voice kept its gentleness, but there was a firm undercurrent to it.  “You don’t look yourself, Etienne.  You look exhausted, worn down, you have seen unbelievable things, and you have been through hell these last weeks.  I believe you when you say that you have slept in strange places, but you are also not as young as you once were.  Please, for me, take the bed and have a decent rest.”

Offline Jabbathejack

• Manager
    • View Profile
Roe snorted, muttering a curse under his breath.
"I've only just sat down..."

Yet he doubted that she'd let up, not until he'd done what she wanted and lay down. Besides, the Lord knew he was tired. Grumbling, he slowly stood, wincing as his knees creaked in protest. Sitting on the bed, he pulled off his boots and settled down on the bed.

"There. Satisfied? Just for a few minutes, then you have the bed."

Sod's law he probably wasn't going to be able to get any actual rest, but after a few minutes, he pulled his cap down over his eyes.

Staunton spent most of the voyage on deck, remaining there even when it started to rain. The sailors watched him warily, but he avoided them. Around an hour from dawn, the lookout called down, sighting the fire from the lighthouse in the distance. Land was close.

Smiling to himself, Staunton headed over to the horses, starting the process of getting them ready. Etienne did not need to have to do all the work by himself.

Offline Firesblood

• View Profile
Valaria nodded in satisfaction when Roe rose and took the bed, settling herself in the chair he vacated.  She watched as he got comfortable on the bed, folding her hands on her lap.  “Immensely.  Rest well, Etienne.”

Of course she had absolutely no plans to wake him, nor did she stop watching him until his breathing deepened and slowed, and she was certain he was asleep.  Finally, she closed her own eyes and fell into a shallow, uneasy slumber.  Images of Malachi’s death featured prominently, as did the feeling of being hunted by Spanish gentleman sporting an easy, charming smile.

When they reached landfall not long before dawn, Val stirred to the sounds of the crew preparing to moor the shop, coming wide awake within seconds.  She could not see Staunton in the cabin, but Roe was still abed. 

Rising from the chair, Valaria peered through the porthole to verify that they had arrived, then turned and gently roused her friend.  “Etienne, it’s time.  We’re here.”

---

Oscar appeared on the deck at that point, shouldering his saddlebags and moving towards where his and Celyn’s own horses are.  Still a bit on the groggy side and not morning person by any stretch, the older Werewolf grunted a drowsy greeting when he saw Staunton and began the process of saddling their horses.

About halfway through the first, Oscar glanced briefly at Staunton, not pausing in his work when he spoke.  “I know that the plan is for you and yours to travel with us for a time.  Bearing in mind that I do not expect or require you to tell me the sort of trouble you’re in, have you an idea of where you are going?  Do you require sanctuary?” 

Offline Jabbathejack

• Manager
    • View Profile
Staunton smiled a greeting as he tightened up the girth of his horse, giving the animal a gentle pat on the neck.
"Good morning, my friend."

He nodded at the questions; they were expected, after all.
"I owe you some sort of explanation, it is only fair."

Finishing with his own horse, he moved to the next.
"Some years ago, I was forced to leave England with my son. Unfortunately, my enemies have caught up with me and my son was killed. I believe it is time to return to England and rebuild my strength. As you have already found out, my enemies do not care who they hurt in pursuit of their goals. I am sorry that you have been dragged into all this."

"I appreciate all that you have done for me and my friends. I hope that our presence will not inconvenience you too much. It will not be long, I assure you."

He spied Celyn in the distance, finding some food for himself and his uncle.
"I understand that this journey was not what you were hoping for. I can only hope to repay you for your assistance, when I'm better able. I haven't decided where I might settle just yet, probably safer to choose a place where I have little history of."

Roe woke with a start, immediately fearing that he had slept too long. He sat up and pulled his boots on, grumbling halfheartedly.

"Why did you let me sleep so long? There's work to be done."

Standing up, he pulled on his jacket and headed out of the cabin. Yet to his surprise, the bulk of the work had been done, with all three horses tacked up and ready to go.

"My lord, I..." He hurried over to Staunton, worried that he might be upset with him.
"No need." Staunton spoke softly, smiling as he passed the reins to his subordinate. "It won't be long before dawn. I think it best for you to make a start without me, I'll catch you up once darkness falls."