Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

Fire the Headcannons!! (M) Moose x Jabba

Offline Jabbathejack

• Manager
    • View Profile
Archive - http://archive.visionary-tales.com/fire-the-headcannons-m-moose-x-jabba-t22846.html

"But..." the merman looked confused. "You have my saw, can't you cut down the wood-plants and make a 'raft'?"

He puffed up a bit, gills flaring with his breath. "It's not like you would be lost at sea! I know the oceans."

Offline Jabbathejack

• Manager
    • View Profile
"There's not enough here." Beckett gestured at the sparse coconut trees that grew on the island. "Barely enough to make a chair. Let alone something I can actually use to sail to civilisation."

"I have to remain realistic about this situation. Unless you can somehow get enough wood to me, or transport me to another island, then this place will be my grave, no matter how many fish you leave out for me."

Offline yautjan

• the Moose
    • View Profile
    • My Compositions
"Well..." The merman hesitated, thinking hard on the problem. Something clearly came to his mind, as he perked up again and said loudly, "I could find a different ship! Make them chase me, then they'll find you instead!"

He slapped his hands into the moist sand. "Yes, I could do that! I will catch lots of fish and clams and then set out to find a ship!"
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 07:09:37 PM by yautjan »
100% Quality Moose

Jabba | Cope | Ely | Readlliea

Offline Jabbathejack

• Manager
    • View Profile
"If you can find another ship, that is." Beckett grimaced, wondering what the chances were; they would often spend days without seeing another vessel on the horizon.

"Yet I don't see another option."

There was also the chance that the ship he found was a pirate ship, apt to take him prisoner and sell him at the nearest slave market, but that was a chance he had to take.

"I would be forever in your debt."

Offline yautjan

• the Moose
    • View Profile
    • My Compositions
The merman smiled brightly, pointed teeth glistening in the fire light. "I'll find one," he promised. "So you can not die." His smile faded. "But if you go back on land, we will not be friends anymore." He had to consider that, but it was brief, and his next words were said sadly. "I don't want you to die, though. So I'll help."

He twisted, inching down the shore and back towards the ocean, but paused. "How many fish should I catch? I can find a ship fast, but I am faster than your ships."
100% Quality Moose

Offline Jabbathejack

• Manager
    • View Profile
Beckett considered his reply carefully, knowing that his continued existence depended largely on this man, even if he was part sea creature.

"Friends apart can still remain friends."

Beckett shook his head at the question.
"I don't know. Too little fish and I'll starve, too many and they might rot and be wasted."

He gave a bitter chuckle.
"Too much is down to chance. What direction you swim in, what type of ships are crossing, whether the Captain is the sort of man to stop and help. I have no choice but to allow chance to take my fate."

His smile faded.
"I have no means of repaying you for what you have done for me."

Offline yautjan

• the Moose
    • View Profile
    • My Compositions
The merman settled in place briefly, the foam of the ocean waves washing over his scales. "Do not worry about that," he said. "Tomorrow, I will return with many fish, and clams. Boil the ocean water away to preserve them with salt. And, I will go and find a ship."

He twisted up again, and grinned his pointy smile. "As for a ship, I'll make them help."

With that, the merman slid back into the ocean, and as soon as the water was deep enough to swim in he was gone in a flash with only the shallow indents in the wet sand to prove he had been there at all.

Shore was finally in sight, and Lucret was damn tired. His crew had held their small ceremony of mourning for their lost captain, and he had already written a brief missive to send back to Britain for Beckett's family, if he even had any. He'd let postal service take care of that little conundrum.

There was really only one issue left, and he'd been putting it off for the last two days. Now that they were close to docking, there was no time left to dawdle--he needed to talk to their glorified prisoner.

So down he went, bringing dinner with him in place of the cook, and caught Fulbeck's attention with a clearing of his throat.

"Land ho," Lucret said.
100% Quality Moose

Offline Jabbathejack

• Manager
    • View Profile
Beckett watched his friend go, wondering if he would end up using his song to charm a sailor or two to come and find him.

Once he was gone, Beckett climbed back up the beach to his makeshift shelter and settled down to rest.

Joe had no idea how many days he'd spent in the brig; it was hard to tell with there being little natural light down there.

All the time, he wondered if he might hear the horrible sounds of the creatures as they descended, certainly when he slept, his dreams were filled with the nightmares of that night.

His only interaction was with the men who brought him his food and through them, he'd learned of the Captain's unfortunate loss during the storm.

He scrambled to his feet as the man approached him, realising that it was the first mate rather than one of the usual ones.

"Sir." He frowned, realising that this man would now be captain of the ship. "We've reached land?"

His frown changed to a smile at the prospect of being on dry land once more.
"Where are we?"

Offline yautjan

• the Moose
    • View Profile
    • My Compositions
Lucret sat on the stool the cook had left outside the cell, passing to the prisoner his dinner of stew. "Port Royal," he said. "Jamaica. Friendly territory."

He crossed his arms lightly, face gentle and friendly despite his weariness as the new captain. "I'm only here to restock and report. Once that's all done, we're probably heading out onto the seas again. I personally like it better out there anyway. But, that's not why I'm here."

He fixed Joe with an even look. "You can either get off here and stay at port, or you can get out of your cell and work for me. I leave the choice up to you."
100% Quality Moose

Offline Jabbathejack

• Manager
    • View Profile
Joe's smiled widened as he recognised the port, he'd be able to get passage home for sure.
"Thank you for everything you've done for me, but I'd like to leave here. I intend on heading back to England."

Slowly, his smile faded as he realised that he did not have a single penny to his name, let alone enough to buy his trip home safely.

"Captain, if I could trouble you for a loan? I would of course return the money as soon as I am able. I hope you understand, sir."

He looked up at him hopefully.

Offline yautjan

• the Moose
    • View Profile
    • My Compositions
Lucret frowned softly, and then heaved out a sigh, putting his hands on his knees. "I can't do that," he said. "I've got my own crew to take care of. I don't have the means to loan anything out right now that'd result in you getting back to England. The offer of a job still stands, though. It's food and pay while we continue our work hunting pirates and Spaniards."

He stood back up. "We'll reach shore in a couple hours and dock for three days. You can make a decision in that time."
100% Quality Moose

Offline Jabbathejack

• Manager
    • View Profile

"But Captain, I..." Joe forced himself into silence, knowing that it would only serve to anger the one person who was willing to assist him.

Food and pay, but he could hardly work from the safety of their brig. On land, he would be safe from the attack, but with nothing to his name but the clothes on his body, he would be at the mercy of any slaver. There was trouble no matter what way he looked at it.

Joe grimaced.
"Thank you, Captain."

Offline yautjan

• the Moose
    • View Profile
    • My Compositions
Lucret looked at him again, this time with a softer expression. "Sorry, mate," he said. "I'm hardly trying to be cruel. Also, call me Luce. Everyone does."

With that, he departed, allowing Joe to finish his stew in peace and come to his decision in his own time.

Morning came with the song of a single rogue bird, and the stench of fresh fish and clams piled onto some rocks on the shoreline. Perhaps three dozen of various species had made it up there, alongside two unfortunate birds that had met their end in a mouthful of sharp teeth.

The merman responsible for them was not far off, lounging in the shallows after a night of intense hunting. His power nap would be the first of many in his newfound quest to bring a ship to the island.
100% Quality Moose

Offline Jabbathejack

• Manager
    • View Profile
Beckett woke and stood up, stretching before he walked down towards the shore. Seeing the merman, he waved and settled down on the rocks to examine the catch.

"Good morning." He smiled. "That's quite a hoard you've brought me. Thank you."

Although he knew it would be necessary, Beckett found that he did not appreciate the idea of being alone for the time it took for the merman to find a ship and lure it over to rescue him.

He busied himself with cleaning the fish ready to cook, knowing that it would be easier to preserve cooked fish rather than raw. The clams would be better off being eaten today, as he could not risk becoming ill from food poisoning.

Joe didn't wait for the three days to be up before he knew he had an answer ready. When the man brought his food, he asked for the door to be opened so that he could talk to the Captain.

It felt strange venturing up the steps and onto the deck; after so long in the darkness of the brig, the sunlight was so bright, it stung his eyes. He climbed the steps to the Captain's cabin and he knocked on the door.

Offline yautjan

• the Moose
    • View Profile
    • My Compositions
The merman in question looked up when he heard the human approach, smiling back despite his tiredness. "Morning!" he said, snaking up the shallows to settle in the wet sand on the shore. "I brought as much as I could. I hope it is enough." He rested onto his elbows, leaning into them. "If it is, I will leave soon to find a ship and bring it back."

-

Lucret looked up at the knock on his door, halfway through a bite of food. He swallowed quick, coughed, and shouted, "Come in!"
100% Quality Moose