Visionary Tales
9/18/19: Visionary Tales is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Happy birthday! Leave a post on the site today (anywhere!) as a gift to VT. It's a good day to catch up on replies. (;If this is your first visit to the New VT, you'll need to create a new account. Visit the archive to view posts from Old VT.Archive site available at http://archive.visionary-tales.com

The (M)onster of Solith

yautjan · 154 · 7739

Offline yautjan

• the Moose
    • View Profile
    • My Compositions
When the sound of footsteps approached, Volanare did not look up. He could tell by the gait at this point, so soon after the slaughter in the vanguard, which creature was causing the snow to crunch so loudly and deeply. He instead clung to his legs tighter, making himself smaller and more shielded from the monster, and he clutched the sleeves of his doublet at the monster's comments, resisting the urge to drive his nails into his own skin.

"I told you to fuck off," Volanare said in a growl. "I don't want you around, beast."
100% Quality Moose

Jabba | Cope | Ely | Readlliea

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"And I told you that I will not." Rikerg replied, moving closer to him, he sat on the snow just outside the ring of grass beneath the tree.

"My name is Rikerg." He didn't care about being called 'beast', it is what most humans did, but Vol wasn't most humans.

"The forest will take you like a fawn born before the thaw." He repeated his earlier sentiment, as Vol had very little fat on him to keep him warm.

Offline yautjan

• the Moose
    • View Profile
    • My Compositions
Volanare snarled when the monster--Rikerg?--moved closer, and his hand moved as if he meant to attack with magic, but the suppressor kicked in and all he ended up doing was grabbing it in pain.

"I am not helpless," he growled. "What part of I don't want you around is so difficult for you to understand?!"

He moved to stand, despite the fact he was shivering and still trying to hold the suppressor off his neck. "You killed my people! My commander! You--you ripped them apart in front of me! Why would I want you around at all?!"
100% Quality Moose

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"You look helpless, especially with no magic." It was difficult for Rikerg to understand because he hadn't tried to harm the human, and he considered himself to be excellent company, so Vol had no reason to not want to be around him.

He was aware of the bonds humans made with one another, the sense of community they had and the outrage they felt when one of their own was stolen or killed. But this was the first day Vol had been here, there had been no indication that the commander or any of the other soldiers he'd killed had known him personally or he them. They were essentially strangers, yet he was still getting so worked up about it.

"What I do not understand is why you are so upset about what I did."

Offline yautjan

• the Moose
    • View Profile
    • My Compositions
Volanare let the suppressor go, wincing as it settled back into place. Getting it off seemed hopeless until he could find someone with the ability to remove it--he figured he could probably take it off himself if he had magic, but that would have defeated the purpose of the suppressor in the first place. The lingering thought that he might have to go to Andariel to remove it was something he did his best to ignore--Solith was not known for their kind and just ways when it came to suspected treason.

"You want me to explain it?" he demanded. He then continued, not waiting for an answer. "I pledged my loyalty to Solith--to my country. All of those men and women did. Did--did I think trapping you was a good idea? No, probably not, but those other people--they didn't--they didn't deserve to die because of the mistakes of one man. They had families! They had friends back home, and you killed them!"

The mage clenched his fists, bristling with fury. "If I had my magic right now I would destroy you, monster."
100% Quality Moose

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
Rikerg listened to his explanation, but it still didn't make sense to him why he was so upset about him killing people just because they had made the same pledge as him.

"I killed many more soldiers from the other side." Rikerg did not say Andariel, as he didn't remember the name of the warring country, and 'not-Solith' didn't seem like an appropriate title for it. "They too had families and friends to miss them, would you hate me or praise me for taking their lives instead? You all bleed, break, die, and taste much the same to me no matter where your loyalties lie." It may sound as if the beast was trying to make an argument about how humans should not fight with one another because they are of the same species, but it was only because he didn't care about telling the difference between one man or the next.

"Then let me take that collar off you." Rikerg challenged, "But you will have to destroy me with one blow, because that is all I need to kill you."

Offline yautjan

• the Moose
    • View Profile
    • My Compositions
Volanare clenched his fists, boiling with rage and shock over the trauma he had experienced. This creature did not understand anything but itself! Why was he bothering to try and explain it to him what loyalty and compassion meant? It was a hopeless gesture, it seemed, as this Rikerg only saw humans as prey.

"I'd rather die than be stuck with you," he snarled, grabbing one of the daggers off his belt again. "You should not have come after me."

Even without the suppressor, he doubted his ability to cast a spell fast enough to escape the beast. Even if he let him break the suppressor, he suspected its charm would backfire and kill him anyway. All that left was a knife fight, and it was like bringing a toothpick to a fencing match. Even the blade, enchanted with a bleed effect, would likely do nothing to stop this monstrosity.

Better dead than enslaved, he thought, no matter how much the thought made him quail.
100% Quality Moose

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
Rikerg had no intention of killing the other, even if he was able to use spells against him, he would have to figure out another way to subdue the human. He still meant that he would remove the collar, as he thought the mage should at the very least have a fighting chance. He'd expected Vol to balk at the threat and finally calm down and accept that Rikerg wasn't leaving, and the surprise was visible on his face when instead he drew a blade again. It only made him fonder of the strange human, who despite his frailty was braver than he appeared.

"Make the first move then, Volanare." Rikerg offered, planning to hold him back with his hand, the stone-like substance covering it had yet to pierced by any spell or weapon, so he would go on the defensive rather than attack him back.

Offline yautjan

• the Moose
    • View Profile
    • My Compositions
The mage had trained with daggers before. It was part of their self-defense course, as they were nurtured into competent soldiers in school. He knew his way around one, though it was the only course he'd scraped by in his grades, while he had excelled at everything to actually do with magic. Still, those skills seemed paltry compared to what this monster was capable of, and Volanare knew that if he did not make his first move count, he would be torn asunder like the soldiers at camp.

You got one shot, he thought, so he threw the dagger at Rikerg's head and bolted for it, abandoning his things with the hopes of getting away and up a snowy tree from the monster.
100% Quality Moose

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
Rikerg waited for the hopeless lunge and attack by Vol, not even bothering to adjust into a more ready position, in fact he actually reclined more, showing how unthreatened he was by the other.

The throwing of the dagger was not unexpected, many humans had thrown their weapons at him in a panic before fleeing, usually it did nothing. Spears were what he was used to being flung at him with any strength or accuracy, so he was shocked as he felt the sting of the blade.

It was just a prick, and his strong hide kept it from embedding itself into his forehead where he'd been hit. Black blood flowed out in a turgid manner, looking more like sap coming from a tree rather than a bleeding beast. He hadn't thought that Vol would manage to draw even a drop of blood, but he wasn't concerned, as the bleeding would stop in a moment.

Except, it didn't. It continued to ooze down his face, over his nose and to the top of his lip. He then let out a belated yelp, jumping up from where he was lying and putting his forehead into the snow, shoving it around as he tried to get the bleeding to stop.

Offline yautjan

• the Moose
    • View Profile
    • My Compositions
Volanare didn't look back when the monster yelped, and Rikerg threw himself into the snow. It meant only that he had successfully pissed the creature off, but at least he hoped he'd made his point in doing so. He ran for as long as he could before hearing Rikerg again, and he leapt up into a nearby pine tree, grabbing the branches and hauling ass towards the top.

It can probably rip trees out, he realized as he climbed, but it was too late to turn back and try a different escape method. In fact, it was all probably hopeless. Once he was high in the tree he grabbed the other dagger and clung to the trunk, hoping Rikerg wouldn't come after him but knowing that he was not going to be so lucky.

I'm sorry Mom, he thought again, his lip quivering now that he was alone for the briefest moment. I'm so sorry, momma.
100% Quality Moose

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
The snow wasn't doing anything to stop the blood flow, he shook his head as if that would help, but only ended up getting more blood across his face. He wiped a hand across his face, smudging it, he'd bled less from larger wounds and never had to take care of any wounds he received for fear of bleeding out.

He let out a roar of frustrated unease, then realized that since the mage had done this, he could undo it too. He was able to follow his tracks in the snow, keeping a hand over the wound which continued to flow, and looked up when the tracks led to a tree.

"Undo this!" he ordered, for the first time actually sounding upset at the human.

Offline yautjan

• the Moose
    • View Profile
    • My Compositions
Oh god, Volanare thought, clinging to the trunk like it was the only thing that could save him. He knew it couldn't, he knew that Rikerg was going to use his bones for toothpicks if he did not do as he was told, but the mage had already told himself he was going to refuse and so he decided to keep to that. It was what a brave Solith solider would have done in his place, and he intended to make his country as proud as he could even in his false traitorhood.

"No!" Volanare shouted down at him. "You did this to yourself, you murderer!"
100% Quality Moose

Offline EvilCopepod

• View Profile
"You did this to me!" Rikerg was outraged, thinking he was saying he had literally harmed himself. He couldn't see how his actions had made Vol harm him so severely, even though he was still barely bleeding given the odd properties of his blood.

"And you will undo it!" He demanded again, grabbing the tree's trunk with his free hand and giving it a shake. Climbing it, even if one hand wasn't holding his wound, was impossible as the tree wouldn't hold his weight, and unlike what Vol believed he didn't want him dead so he wasn't going to knock down the tree.

Offline yautjan

• the Moose
    • View Profile
    • My Compositions
"I did it because you murdered my brethren!" Vol shouted back. He clung to the tree as tightly as he could, whimpering as the suppressor dug into his neck. It nearly shook him out, but he held tight for his life.

"I will sooner die than help you, monster!" he added, though the fear was clear in his voice. He knew he was going to die, painfully and brutally. And so soon after his brother....

"You will have to kill me!" he declared, tears brimming in his eyes. "Murderer!"
100% Quality Moose